Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Scott Van Pelt on the Redskins: ‘Is anyone at Redskins Park listening?’

Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

Ok Seriously, can you explain how Bruce caused us to lose any game this year? Or how he had anything to do with the amount of injuries we had?  Because I think I could make a better argument for the Refs literally costing us 3 games.  Bottom line is that we are talented enough to be in the post season but the players didnt get it done for a lot of different reasons.  Bruce and Dan are at the bottom of the list of reasons why.  Im pointing my finger at these players and maybe some coaches. 

So people who don't think Bruce and Dan are the problem with this moribund organization exist. Learn something new every day!

Ok Seriously, can you explain how Bruce caused us to lose any game this year? Or how he had anything to do with the amount of injuries we had?  Because I think I could make a better argument for the Refs literally costing us 3 games.  Bottom line is that we are talented enough to be in the post season but the players didnt get it done for a lot of different reasons.  Bruce and Dan are at the bottom of the list of reasons why.  Im pointing my finger at these players and maybe some coaches. 

Bruce, don't you have better things to do with your time than posting here?

Let’s also blame the schedule makers for making the Redskins play good teams.  The architects of the stadium (sun was probably in players eyes).  You already mentioned the refs - that one is obvious - conspiracy has been going on for 20 + years.   So much blame to go around - except FO - they deserve accolades.

29 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Agreed, the stadium is a convenient excuse.  People would put up with FedEx if the product was worthwhile.  

And frankly, for an NFC East market to have to think about building a stadium with significantly fewer seats than the previous building is a sad state of affairs.  

The stadium sucks, I don't think it's a convenient excuse.  IMO, Fed Ex was built at the exact wrong time.  It's the last of a breed; giant, circular bowls with no personality or flair or redeeming value.  There's no reason to go to Fed Ex to say you've seen a game there, even if the team is bad.  In other words, the stadium doesn't attract any people but it sure plays a part in keeping people away when times are bad.  You're right, people would put up with Fed Ex if the product was worthwhile but man, that stadium is terrible.  

The days of giant 80-90k seat stadiums is largely dead.  Eagles stadium holds 69k.  Heinz Field holds 68k.  Smaller, more intimate stadiums with better acoustics for crowd noise are what's in, IMO.  Sure there are the big domes like the one in Atlanta and Jerry-world but outdoor stadiums with interesting cutaways and sight lines aren't going to be built for large capacities.  

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

We are talented to play IR.

He does have an impact on signing injury prone guys...

Now it's interesting that you think the injury that hindered our season was the one to Alex, when in fact our season went to doom when we lost Scherff and Lauvao... But that's another thread.

The fact that players have been on the record saying that they also felt the season was over once Smith went out shows you the loser mindset of this team.

"Oh know our QB is out, woe is me!"

Complete and utter loser culture with this team.  I can't believe that Allen and Gruden are still employed.  I mean in reality I can and expect it because the owner is an idiot, but when you have SB winning coaches getting fired mid-season because mediocrity is unnaceptable, then you have what looks like a 6th Gruden season coming up, it's no surprise that the Redskins are where they are.  And I like Gruden a lot but I'm ready to move on because I don't accept mediocrity.

40 minutes ago, Redskinscub said:

Everybody jumps on you when you are losing

Hahaha.  I mean, there's losing like...for a couple of seasons.  And then there's, like, almost 20 years of losing where even win they win, they can't do it again for a 2nd year in a row.  And all the other crap that's come with it.

Saying "Everybody jumps on you when you are losing" is like saying World War 2 was a limited skirmish that wasn't too big of a deal.

43 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The fact that players have been on the record saying that they also felt the season was over once Smith went out shows you the loser mindset of this team.

"Oh know our QB is out, woe is me!"

Complete and utter loser culture with this team.  I can't believe that Allen and Gruden are still employed.  I mean in reality I can and expect it because the owner is an idiot, but when you have SB winning coaches getting fired mid-season because mediocrity is unnaceptable, then you have what looks like a 6th Gruden season coming up, it's no surprise that the Redskins are where they are.  And I like Gruden a lot but I'm ready to move on because I don't accept mediocrity.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I don't 100% disagree.  But I wonder if other teams would feel that way if, say, Russell Wilson or Tom Brady went down.  

Smith certainly isn't in that class but by all accounts his teammates love him, respected him and considered him a leader.  He wasn't here long but he had won everyone over.

And with the way the team was winning early on, by playing mistake free football on offense and winning by the skin of their teeth in most cases, it's not a wonder as to why players felt that way.  

3 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I appreciate your attempt here. But Bruce has everything to do with the team losing. Not sure how that can even be a question. That's why some GMs are successful and some are not. Bruce has had a hand in 3 organizations - none of which had a lot of success with him in charge. I just cannot see that as a coincidence. 

It's interesting you bring up the number of injuries. Bruce has a direct bearing on the number of injuries. He signs and retains players with injury histories. If he moved on from the injury prone guys sooner and did not bargain basement show for FAs, ending up with guys with injury histories, I am certain there would be less injured players during he season. 

There are many examples but I will highlight one of each, a player retained and player signed.  

1. Sean Lauvao - He has been injured virtually every season he has been here. He came here off an injury ended season at Cleveland. Played 15 games his first season. SInce then? 3, 14, 9, and 5. Could have easily signed a LG during free agency. And no, there are no guarantees that player would not be injured. But when you have a guy that has been injured every season since 2013! I will take my chances with someone new that does not have that same history.

2. Paul Richardson -  Nice player when healthy. But had injury issues his entire career. So he is coming here and all of a sudden he is going to stay healthy? A smallish WR playing the D Jackson role but not as fast and not as good at tracking balls down. BTW: Jackson could not stay healthy either. That was a good move. But then replaced him first with a one yr QB playing playing WR and then with Richardson. Bargain basement shopping!  

There are many, many, many other examples but you should get the idea here. 

I am just not sure how you can write that Dan and Bruce are at the bottom of the list of issues the team has - when in fact they are #1 and #2 in that order. 

Dan Snyder - as the owner has created a toxic environment to work in where people come and routinely under perform. I am not just saying this from a fans perspective. I have had the fortune to run into a few ex players from the Gibbs days and some more recent and have been able to have some candid conversations with them. For example, on Home Coming, ex-players are "required" to sign autographs to be given tickets to the game and allowed in. And then they are put in suites with Dan;'s buddies to entertain! Most teams have a box just for players to enjoy games and each other. In the end the ex-players will be better ambassadors as they will do it because they want to, not because it's the cost of admission! So many people have come here after excelling on other teams to not only perform poorly at their job, but to be really bad. That is all on Dan! 

Bruce Allen - He has done so little to help this organization overall. Has it been all bad? No. He has brought in some decent assistants. I also actually like Jay and think in a better run FO he could be successful. But then there is that toxic environment again. But just from a job performance standpoint - he completely hosed up the Kirk situation - I don't care so much that he let him walk as I do that he got nothing for him and then had to use crazy resources to get a 4 yr older QB! But it['s far from just Kirk. He was here for McNabb. He handled the entire Scot thing horribly. Again, it's not that they parted ways - Scot clearly has some issues - it's that he handled it like a complete asshole. In general I have liked his drafts - but his approach to free agency cost the team this year badly, and has other years too. This year alone - as much I like Payne, if you sign a NT then you can get who you want in the first and still take settle later! You have the experienced guy and young guy. Then you also have say a Derwin James. I already discussed the LG and WR thing. Sign a quality LG and WR without injuries. How different is this team with James at Safety and Hankins, Allen, and Iaonnidis on the line! And how much less does the injury to Lauvoa (I would have kept him as a back-up) hurt?

Again there are many other different moves I would have made - and no I am not a GM. Which is even worse. If someone like me, that knows as little as I know about football can figure this **** out,. why the **** can't the guys getting paid to do it figure it out? And yes, I totally get they know things i do not. But with today's information access the gap is much smaller. And some things are just plain as day. But back to SVP - there is an arrogance to this FO that makes them do really stupid things. That arrogance is from Bruce and Dan and is what makes them the cause of losing games. No, they do not make tackles or score TDs, but they do decide who is on the team and what kind of culture there is. And quite frankly they suck at it!!  

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I appreciate your attempt here. But Bruce has everything to do with the team losing. Not sure how that can even be a question. That's why some GMs are successful and some are not. Bruce has had a hand in 3 organizations - none of which had a lot of success with him in charge. I just cannot see that as a coincidence. 

It's interesting you bring up the number of injuries. Bruce has a direct bearing on the number of injuries. He signs and retains players with injury histories. If he moved on from the injury prone guys sooner and did not bargain basement show for FAs, ending up with guys with injury histories, I am certain there would be less injured players during he season. 

There are many examples but I will highlight one of each, a player retained and player signed.  

1. Sean Lauvao - He has been injured virtually every season he has been here. He came here off an injury ended season at Cleveland. Played 15 games his first season. SInce then? 3, 14, 9, and 5. Could have easily signed a LG during free agency. And no, there are no guarantees that player would not be injured. But when you have a guy that has been injured every season since 2013! I will take my chances with someone new that does not have that same history.

2. Paul Richardson -  Nice player when healthy. But had injury issues his entire career. So he is coming here and all of a sudden he is going to stay healthy? A smallish WR playing the D Jackson role but not as fast and not as good at tracking balls down. BTW: Jackson could not stay healthy either. That was a good move. But then replaced him first with a one yr QB playing playing WR and then with Richardson. Bargain basement shopping!  

There are many, many, many other examples but you should get the idea here. 

I am just not sure how you can write that Dan and Bruce are at the bottom of the list of issues the team has - when in fact they are #1 and #2 in that order. 

Dan Snyder - as the owner has created a toxic environment to work in where people come and routinely under perform. I am not just saying this from a fans perspective. I have had the fortune to run into a few ex players from the Gibbs days and some more recent and have been able to have some candid conversations with them. For example, on Home Coming, ex-players are "required" to sign autographs to be given tickets to the game and allowed in. And then they are put in suites with Dan;'s buddies to entertain! Most teams have a box just for players to enjoy games and each other. In the end the ex-players will be better ambassadors as they will do it because they want to, not because it's the cost of admission! So many people have come here after excelling on other teams to not only perform poorly at their job, but to be really bad. That is all on Dan! 

Bruce Allen - He has done so little to help this organization overall. Has it been all bad? No. He has brought in some decent assistants. I also actually like Jay and think in a better run FO he could be successful. But then there is that toxic environment again. But just from a job performance standpoint - he completely hosed up the Kirk situation - I don't care so much that he let him walk as I do that he got nothing for him and then had to use crazy resources to get a 4 yr older QB! But it['s far from just Kirk. He was here for McNabb. He handled the entire Scot thing horribly. Again, it's not that they parted ways - Scot clearly has some issues - it's that he handled it like a complete asshole. In general I have liked his drafts - but his approach to free agency cost the team this year badly, and has other years too. This year alone - as much I like Payne, if you sign a NT then you can get who you want in the first and still take settle later! You have the experienced guy and young guy. Then you also have say a Derwin James. I already discussed the LG and WR thing. Sign a quality LG and WR without injuries. How different is this team with James at Safety and Hankins, Allen, and Iaonnidis on the line! And how much less does the injury to Lauvoa (I would have kept him as a back-up) hurt?

Again there are many other different moves I would have made - and no I am not a GM. Which is even worse. If someone like me, that knows as little as I know about football can figure this **** out,. why the **** can't the guys getting paid to do it figure it out? And yes, I totally get they know things i do not. But with today's information access the gap is much smaller. And some things are just plain as day. But back to SVP - there is an arrogance to this FO that makes them do really stupid things. That arrogance is from Bruce and Dan and is what makes them the cause of losing games. No, they do not make tackles or score TDs, but they do decide who is on the team and what kind of culture there is. And quite frankly they sick at it!!  

WINNING CURES IT ALL :)

9 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If the Skins had beaten the Titans the joint would’ve been rowdy and packed...yes or no?

If they would've beat the Colts, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants. They could've done a lot of things that might bring fans in. It's been like that for 20+ years. All they do is lose and fans are tired of it. Week after week, year after year we see and hear the same bs. Nothing will change with that man running this team. 

6 minutes ago, wunderhill said:

Sorry, but are we winning? :)

YES 6-3 before our QB went down 2 games up in division looking at least like a 10plus win season. Then QB 2 goes down no team would have sustained such a thing and NO ONE can be BLAMED for either of the injuries. We win Division looking at a possible home playoff game against Seattle NO ONE TALKING THIS BS! IF we tanked with Alex or Colt then maybe i could understand !

Just now, hailmary said:

YES 6-3 before our QB went down 2 games up in division looking at least like a 10plus win season. Then QB 2 goes down no team would have sustained such a thing and NO ONE can be BLAMED for either of the injuries. 

Did our qb go down last year as well? or how about the year before that?

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hahaha.  I mean, there's losing like...for a couple of seasons.  And then there's, like, almost 20 years of losing where even win they win, they can't do it again for a 2nd year in a row.  And all the other crap that's come with it.

Saying "Everybody jumps on you when you are losing" is like saying World War 2 was a limited skirmish that wasn't too big of a deal.

This season wasn't even a particularly bad one.  The team was 6-3 and then simply collapsed when the injuries simply became too numerous to overcome... yet fan attendance and TV ratings have been a story all season long.  All of the evidence points towards a dwindling fan base and fan apathy.  Disinterest is much more difficult to overcome than anger.  The Redskins have a real problem.

Not all fans are turning away from the team though.  I went to four games this season, and was one of the few fans there for the season finale.  They must be doing something right.  :)

10 minutes ago, hailmary said:

WINNING CURES IT ALL :)

At one time yes. But it will take multiple seasons of winning - and little to no drama to "cure all". Doing things like claiming Foster off waivers then releasing DJ for running his mouth too much make this a very hard team to be proud of. So no, for me winning does not cure everything anymore.

1 minute ago, hailmary said:

YES 6-3 before our QB went down 2 games up in division looking at least like a 10plus win season. Then QB 2 goes down no team would have sustained such a thing and NO ONE can be BLAMED for either of the injuries. 

Agreed, the two QB are no one fault. Agree 100%. However, many of the other injuries were to players that should not be on the team or could have be avoided by better training facilities and harder practices getting players ready.

Archived