Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I think its obvious: Harper doesn't actually want to go to Philadelphia. I mean, he'll go if that's where the biggest offer is, but if he really wanted to he'd have signed with them already.

I still think if the Nats offer anything near Philly(can even be a little short), he'd come back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think its obvious: Harper doesn't actually want to go to Philadelphia. I mean, he'll go if that's where the biggest offer is, but if he really wanted to he'd have signed with them already.

I still think if the Nats offer anything near Philly(can even be a little short), he'd come back.

I think Bryce wants west coast or DC.  I think both are out of the question and he is hoping LA, SF, or DC come back into the bidding war.  

I think with the DH coming too, salaries for each team will naturally rise for hitters, while it will drop the price of starting pitching. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't believe this for a second. "Months". That's a weak lie. We know Boras has been talking to Mark's father on the regular. 

we assume, but how can we really 'know?' 

From what i've heard, this is how Boras works.  Cryptic texts, random offers or numbers thrown out there, but very little consistent communication.  He lets the market run the negotiation and does a lot via the media.  I also don't think Mark is including his father in the 'us' part of that comment anymore.  I'd bet the baseball people and active members of the team haven't heard from Boras since that initial offer we made..  And from what i've gathered, Ted isn't part of that circle anymore with any regularity.  

• Like 1

Even if it's true, what's the point in announcing to the world that you're out? Leave your interest in the dark so that Boras can use you to drive up the price on Philly.  Or is it a major double super secret fake out?  Lull philly into a false sense of security to have them lowball Harper and top it?  Either I'm crazy like a fox or I'm still in stage 1 of grief.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bearrock said:

Even if it's true, what's the point in announcing to the world that you're out? Leave your interest in the dark so that Boras can use you to drive up the price on Philly.  Or is it a major double super secret fake out?  Lull philly into a false sense of security to have them lowball Harper and top it?  Either I'm crazy like a fox or I'm still in stage 1 of grief.

B.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

we assume, but how can we really 'know?' 

Because 

#1. Boras has more than one player on the Nationals

#2. Boras actually has the other huge re-upping target for the Nationals and that player just said they've been talking.

So, I don't believe when Boras calls and has these conversations with Rizzo or Mark or as been reported....Ted Lerner. That the topic of Harper hasn't come up at all. That they haven't heard from them in months. Maybe he worded it poorly and it means no new numbers were exchanged. But we know the Nats have talked to/visited/whatevered with the Harper camp. That's a certainty. 

• Like 1

Alright, enough about Bryce.  Whatever happens with him happens.

Who is the player that you think will make or break the Nat's season and why?  Lots to choose from.

I will go with Victor Robles.  The Nats certainly want him to win the starting CF role.  MAT would be good defensively, but is so inconsistent at the plate.  Robles has been the Nats top prospect for 3 years now, has been called up in each of the past 2 years.  This will be his first full season in the bigs and, while expected a Juan Soto type year is way too high of a bar, if Victor can use his 5 tools to be a difference maker at the plate and in the field, I think that will be huge.  If he struggles to get on base, can't use his speed on the basepaths, and is replacement level, that will also be huge (in a bad way).  Fangraphs projects him at 2.7 WAR which puts him in Jackie Bradley Jr territory.  

Assuming this is the current roster. I have two names that must stay healthy and play well. 

Eaton. He makes me nervous. But if he's healthy and batting first...and productive. Then that's big. 

Then the guy batting behind him. Turner. Base stealing. Quick defense. Continued growth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Max Scherzer is the most expensive player on our roster and the best. He has to be mentioned. 

Elsewhere, I think it's crucially important that SOMEONE among the group of Zimmerman, Adams and possibly Kendrick brings us some power at first base. It's one of our biggest question marks and we may lack pop without Harper. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1