Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

56 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Don't know how I'd feel if I was a Phillies fan.

I mean Bryce might ultimately end up there but he doesn't seem that into them.

If he goes to Philly it'll be purely for the money and to save face. Deep down he'd rather play on the west coast, Chicago, or D.C. but he can't take less money or less years so he's gotta just max out and be miserable in Philly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think we’ll give him a cheer in that first at bat. 

Then boo him every at bat after that. 

Or chant “So-to’s bet-ter, clap clap clapclapclap”. 

It doesn't have to be this way!  You can still bring him back Ted!  I mean PleaseBlitz!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If he goes to Philly it'll be purely for the money and to save face. Deep down he'd rather play on the west coast, Chicago, or D.C. but he can't take less money or less years so he's gotta just max out and be miserable in Philly.

yeah I don't think he wants to be there.... and Philly may be better off if he doesn't.  They have a ton of money available, and Trout is a FA in 2 seasons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's going to be very interesting to see where, when and for how much he signs. I have lost a lot of respect for Harper. No matter where he signs, my blue 34 may be permanently shelved

I haven’t lost respect for him, he’s got an absolute right to seek the best possible deal for market value. Unfortunately, for various reasons, the market this year isn’t close to what his perceived value is.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I’d imagine right now he’s wishing he’d counter-offered the Nats back in October and got a deal done for $330m or so. I feel bad for him for how this FA has played out. 

That said, if he ends up a Philly, **** him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I haven’t lost respect for him, he’s got an absolute right to seek the best possible deal for market value.

He absolutely does--but the reports that he's turned down multiple $300m deals just kinda irked me. I definitely don't want him in Philly--but even if he goes there, we're still better.

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He absolutely does--but the reports that he's turned down multiple $300m deals just kinda irked me. I definitely don't want him in Philly--but even if he goes there, we're still better.

Yeah tough to say, a lot of that might be Boras bull****. “Multiple” $300m offers could very well be the Nats offer from Oct and Padres offering him the Machado deal. That’s two, therefore multiple. We’ll see what he ends up signing for.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I haven’t lost respect for him, he’s got an absolute right to seek the best possible deal for market value. Unfortunately, for various reasons, the market this year isn’t close to what his perceived value is.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I’d imagine right now he’s wishing he’d counter-offered the Nats back in October and got a deal done for $330m or so. I feel bad for him for how this FA has played out. 

That said, if he ends up a Philly, **** him. 

But his perceived value was inflated.  He wasn't worth $500 mil.  Just like Kirk Cousins, the market dictates the value of a player.  The player / agent does not.  I don't blame him for wanting to seek the best possible deal, but it's not all about the money with him anymore.   If it was, he would have signed 5 min after Machado did for $10 more so he could hold the record.

I think he simply does not want to be in Philly and he's holding them hostage until there is no other option (I'd actually prefer he signs elsewhere).  He's also got endorsement deals that will likely pay MORE than what his annual salary is via MLB.  

I'm sure the final number will tell the tale, but I find it really hard to believe that there were multiple 300 mil offers for Harper.  Padres looks like they were all in on Machado.  Giants and Dodgers were short term.  White Sox, I'm not sure they even made an offer.  Even the Phillies, if they wouldn't match Machado's $300 mil, would they value Harper that much more? (possible I guess).  If there was an offer that checks the box in terms of beating the Nats' offer, highest AAV, and largest contract ever, I'd imagine he would have signed by now.  Even now, all this LA talk smells like Boras trying to drive up a the price on Philly.  If Philly really has a 10/330 million on the table like some speculate, then I'd have to imagine he signed it (unless there really is a 10/300 offer from LA, which only shady sources have claimed).  I think it's very possible that after Machado, Phillies saw the market fall off for Harper and refused to go 300 and Boras is desperately trying to top Machado's contract at all cost.  Which is one of the reason I didn't like Lerner's interview (unless he's secretly trying to sign Harper).  There's absolutely no reason to take yourself off the table as Philly's potential competitor.  

38 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I'm sure the final number will tell the tale, but I find it really hard to believe that there were multiple 300 mil offers for Harper.  Padres looks like they were all in on Machado.  Giants and Dodgers were short term.  White Sox, I'm not sure they even made an offer.  Even the Phillies, if they wouldn't match Machado's $300 mil, would they value Harper that much more? (possible I guess).  If there was an offer that checks the box in terms of beating the Nats' offer, highest AAV, and largest contract ever, I'd imagine he would have signed by now.  Even now, all this LA talk smells like Boras trying to drive up a the price on Philly.  If Philly really has a 10/330 million on the table like some speculate, then I'd have to imagine he signed it (unless there really is a 10/300 offer from LA, which only shady sources have claimed).  I think it's very possible that after Machado, Phillies saw the market fall off for Harper and refused to go 300 and Boras is desperately trying to top Machado's contract at all cost.  Which is one of the reason I didn't like Lerner's interview (unless he's secretly trying to sign Harper).  There's absolutely no reason to take yourself off the table as Philly's potential competitor.  

That's interesting you bring up the secretly trying to sign him.  Man what kind of wizardry would that be if he played the agent at his own game.  Especially an agent that is rumored to be 'in bed' with the Lerners.  

42 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Which is one of the reason I didn't like Lerner's interview (unless he's secretly trying to sign Harper).

I think he was letting the fans off the hook--no more hand-wringing, no more "whats going to happen?"

I think the Front Office handled this just fine--make a good, not great offer. Move on, improve the several other, obvious holes for the same price as just Harper. I'd like to see a LHR added, but not holding my breath.

Both sides are handling this as they should.  

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Why?  That's how negotiations work.  You don't accept the first good offer you get, you accept the best offer (for yourself) that you can get.  

Interesting question:  Do you want Harper in Philly IF the alternative is the Phillies save that money and sign Trout next year?

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Do you want Harper in Philly IF the alternative is the Phillies save that money and sign Trout next year?

Do you want the Phillies to sign Dallas Keuchel if the alternative is signing Chris Sale a year from now?

I am not that worried about it because I don't think Trout leaves LA/Anaheim/where ever the **** they're actually from

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Both sides are handling this as they should.  

Why?  That's how negotiations work.  You don't accept the first good offer you get, you accept the best offer (for yourself) that you can get.  

Interesting question:  Do you want Harper in Philly IF the alternative is the Phillies save that money and sign Trout next year?

But there was no negotiation... there was no counter from Harper / Boras (that we know of)

The sad thing is I'd rather see Harper in Philly than Trout RIGHT NOW.  That said.. Trout will be 29 when he's up for a new deal, leading me to believe that the window will be smaller for Philly if they wait for Trout (2 years without EITHER Trout OR Harper, then theoretically Trout dropping off sooner than Harper due to age).  If Trout signed in 2 season, then they'll likely have a 4 - 5 year window with him playing at that high of a level.  If Harper signs TODAY at the age of 26... i'd expect he's got 8-10 years of playing at a high level.  

If I had to chose who would be playing TOMORROW in Philly, i'd take Harper over Trout.  

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

That's interesting you bring up the secretly trying to sign him.  Man what kind of wizardry would that be if he played the agent at his own game.  Especially an agent that is rumored to be 'in bed' with the Lerners.  

TBF, it's probably my stage 1 of grief, denial.

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think he was letting the fans off the hook--no more hand-wringing, no more "whats going to happen?"

But what if I like the hand wringing?  My hands need to be wrung!

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can't imagine Philly stays out of the Trout bonanza regardless of Harper though right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I've tons a bunch of training on negotiations.  Offering no counter is often an extremely savvy negotiating tactic. 

Thats very true... 

And so is spending the money allocated to an offer to increase urgency.  

I'm actually good with how we did it, because now the leverage is no longer AGAINST the Nats... it's all against Philly, and there's still no guarantee he goes there.  I'd love to have kept Harper, and somehow if we could swoop in and get him on a short term deal to make a run at it, that'd be great.  What I don't want to be is in Philly's shoes.  $60 mil under the luxury tax in 2019 and likely to spend more than half of that on one player, but not guaranteed.  

How would you feel if you're a Philly fan if Trout signs his extension with the Angels and Harper decides to go elsewhere.  Harper has made it abundantly clear that Philly is not his preference imho, and even if he signs, he's literally settling for the most money... not playing where he would prefer.  

• Like 1