Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I could see that. For Harper what's the appeal in going from DC to freaking Philadelphia? Like I said before, it'd be like moving out of your parents house only to move into a house across the street. And I don't think the Phils are some instant World Series contender or that much better than we are even with Harper.

I think Harper's ideal locations are the west coast or a big city like Chicago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I could see that. For Harper what's the appeal in going from DC to freaking Philadelphia? Like I said before, it'd be like moving out of your parents house only to move into a house across the street. And I don't think the Phils are some instant World Series contender or that much better than we are even with Harper.

I think Harper's ideal locations are the west coast or a big city like Chicago.

Their pitching still sucks.

37 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Their pitching still sucks.

Huge question marks all over the place for sure. Only one of their starting pitchers has a career ERA under 3.5 and only two have career ERAs under 4.5. They're mostly quite young and certainly could improve significantly, but it hasn't shown up on the field yet. 

So word on the street (Boras) is that Bryce has turned down "multiple" $300 million offers this offseason. 

LOL. 

I'm so tired of this ****. Phillies fans seem to be as well. I think it would be hilarious if all the teams pulled their offers off the table and let him twist in the wind. 

If we're going to steal anyone from the Phillies, I'd prefer it be Dallas Keuchel, if only to watch him ground ball Bryce into oblivion.

Edited by Bacon

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

So word on the street (Boras) is that Bryce has turned down "multiple" $300 million offers this offseason. 

This did come from Jon Heyman so, flip a coin and find out how accurate it is. But I am with you--enough is enough already. How this whole ordeal going to affect the clubhouse he goes to? I love Bryce as the player, but this is so over the top. Also seeing Turner getting more opportunities to steal was interesting. He batted in front of Harper most of the year (I believe). I wonder how the offense will function over-all without this kind of catering. Maybe I am looking at the negative since he's gone. We'll see I guess.

It does feel like people have said they won't give Harper what Machado makes, so now that it's clear what Machado go, the $300 million dream can go to bed now.  He's coming back, why leave for highest bidder if it's not what you want and could be a ****hole team with no chance of winning checkers?

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It does feel like people have said they won't give Harper what Machado makes, so now that it's clear what Machado go, the $300 million dream can go to bed now.  He's coming back, why leave for highest bidder if it's not what you want and could be a ****hole team with no chance of winning checkers?

Who says the Nats are offering anything at this stage?  

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

They'd be stupid not to, Rizzo is just waiting this kid out, the nonsense is outfront and everything that was true will come out after its all said and done.

I think Rizzo made a good faith offer in December to stay on good terms just in case (with Harper and Boras).  But everything he's done this offseason indicates that the Nats have fully moved on.  Dropping close to $300 million on Harper means they won't be able to keep the rest of their young core intact (Rendon, Turner, etc) and will have very little flexibility to make moves down the road to address holes as they arise.  There have also been rumblings that other players (probably Scherzer) aren't real happy with Harper's hustle and fundamentals.  Certainly there is a price where the Nats should jump on it, but I think it's lower than most people realize. 

@PleaseBlitz the whole "can we afford it" thing has come up a couple times.  My reasonable response is Boston scrapped the Yankees off their windshield and spending way more then us.  Depending in the contract, Boston could be higher then iurs even we resign Harper.  We want to win have to fight fire with fire, and we have fire to spare

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I don't think Nats can be back in it unless ownership tells Rizzo that it's essentially a Scherzer situation again, that we are taking this out of the salary budget because this is ownership overruling the front office.  (Which begs the question, shouldn't Rizzo be allowed to disregard Max's contract in any salary calculation then?  Or was the contract such a success that it's now just a normal contract?).  If Rizzo had been able to resign Harper, he would have gone for cheaper 3rd arm.  Rizzo probably thought Harper+Rendon+cheaper vets for 3rd starter vs Corbin+Rendon+Turner, but probably not Corbin+Harper+Rendon (and certainly not Turner on top of that).  

With that said, if Ted Lerner wants to see a ring during his lifetime, I still think signing Harper and paying luxury tax for 2019 and possibly 2020, still gives them the best shot at it.  You have 2-3 year window with Max.  After he's done, you could pay bucketloads of money and still never have the privilege of having the best pitcher in baseball on your team.  This team is already a contender, but would need a lot to break it's way.  If they sign Harper and if Robles pans out in the majors, they could trade Eaton to shore up any bullpen weaknesses and be a legit contender (assuming that Harper bounces back).  If they let Harper go and if Eaton gets hurt again (a very real possibility given his injury history since he became a Nat), unless someone takes a major leap forward, we're scratching for division title at best.  

Shenin had an article in early offseason.  Long terms deals tend to work when the player is young.  I think Nats will get their money's worth from a 10/300+ contract for two reasons.  One, our best window is now.  You don't luck onto a Max Scherzer that easily.  Wasted money in 2029 is not a bad deal if it ups your chance at winning while you have the best pitcher in baseball.  Second, NL DH is coming.  That means Harper will continue to be productive towards the end of the contract (even then he's only 36).

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@PleaseBlitz the whole "can we afford it" thing has come up a couple times.  My reasonable response is Boston scrapped the Yankees off their windshield and spending way more then us.  Depending in the contract, Boston could be higher then iurs even we resign Harper.  We want to win have to fight fire with fire, and we have fire to spare

Could the Nats do it?  Yes, for sure, billionaires tend to have options in life.  Does everything they've done since signing Eaton point to them actually doing it?  No, it points to them winning with extremely good pitching, a good to very good offensive and defensive outfield (depending on how Robles pans out at the plate), few holes in the lineup and Soto being the new Harper.  

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Could the Nats do it?  Yes, for sure, billionaires tend to have options in life.  Does everything they've done since signing Eaton point to them actually doing it?  No, it points to them winning with extremely good pitching, a good to very good offensive and defensive outfield (depending on how Robles pans out at the plate), few holes in the lineup and Soto being the new Harper.  

What do you think about should they do it?

Just now, bearrock said:

What do you think about should they do it?

Depends entirely on Lerner.  If he's like "**** it, I'm gonna die soon, let's spend my fortune on this" then sure, it's not my money.  I'm all for a billionaire spending money on something that benefits me.  Who wouldn't be?

In my experience, however, billionaires aren't wired that way.  So if we aren't living in a fantasy world where Ted says **** it, and if the real choice is to sign Harper and deal with the very real salary restraints that come with it, then I think they should roll with Eaton, Robles and Soto and spend that money elsewhere.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Depends entirely on Lerner.  If he's like "**** it, I'm gonna die soon, let's spend my fortune on this" then sure, it's not my money.  I'm all for a billionaire spending money on something that benefits me.  Who wouldn't be?

In my experience, however, billionaires aren't wired that way.  So if we aren't living in a fantasy world where Ted says **** it, and if the real choice is to sign Harper and deal with the very real salary restraints that come with it, then I think they should roll with Eaton, Robles and Soto and spend that money elsewhere.  

Blink once if you're Ted Lerner and twice if you're Rizzo.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Everything points to them being a competitive non championship contending franchise.  If that's the niche they want, more power to them.  You win rings having a Sato and Harper, not either or.  Sato has one great year, I'm not ready to crown him the next anything yet, I've been burned too many times before with that. Go hard or go home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Everything points to them being a competitive non championship contending franchise.  If that's the niche they want, more power to them.  You win rings having a Sato and Harper, not either or.  Sato has one great year, I'm not ready to crown him the next anything yet, I've been burned too many times before with that. Go hard or go home.

I’m fully confident the Nats can structure a contract in such a way that the team can still be competitive for the next 3-4 years. After that it becomes less clear (post Scherzer and Stras). But if the goal is to win a championship, this year is a great time to do it with Rendon in his walk year, Scherzer and Stras still in their primes, Robles ready, etc. The window, with the hypothetical addition of Harper, has never been as wide open as 2019. 

So I’d be on board with it, even if it probably means I’m raising my kids (3, 16mo, unborn) on ****ty baseball. 

• Like 1