Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Has anyone considered it's the players colluding to get a bigger share of the revenue pie in a couple years?

I'd also chalk it up to front offices getting smarter. No one is signing the Dallas Keuchels for 5/120 anymore.

Biggest issue is simply with how few teams are actively trying to compete in a given year. Baseball has become entrenched in rebuild cycles because of how cheap and long their rookie contracts are, and how massively bloated their veteran FA contracts are (at least til recently). Add that to the fact that many teams legitimately aren’t able to maintain a $170m+ payroll, and you’ve got a situation where the handful of big spending teams legitimately run out of openings. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Has anyone considered it's the players colluding to get a bigger share of the revenue pie in a couple years?

that would require a level of selflessness that seems unlikely and illogical from the perspective of the players. When injury is right around the corner, its harder to collude from a players standpoint. 

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That would be a significant deviation from all accepted economic theories of how markets work.  Also, front offices would be leaking to reporters that players turned down their offers that are in line with expected outcomes.  

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd also chalk it up to front offices getting smarter. No one is signing the Dallas Keuchels for 5/120 anymore.

I think front offices are getting smarter and have determined that, generally speaking, if you can get 90% of Player A's production from Player B at half the cost, that's what you want to do.  It's very weird that every team made that determination with 2 years of one another, in the same sport where it took "Moneyball" theory a decade to catch on with everyone. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think front offices are getting smarter and have determined that, generally speaking, if you can get 90% of Player A's production from Player B at half the cost, that's what you want to do.  It's very weird that every team made that determination with 2 years of one another, in the same sport where it took "Moneyball" theory a decade to catch on with everyone. 

It does seem a little odd, but I think the impact of the luxury tax escalation is underestimated. Teams now have massive incentives to not go over that threshold more than a year at a time. If you can’t go over more than a year at a time, you’ve got to really avoid long term contracts with 30+ year olds that could start declining any year. You can no long just absorb those costs. 

Before the current CBA, Dodgers were over $200m (including $275m one year) for like 5 years straight. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

It does seem a little odd, but I think the impact of the luxury tax escalation is underestimated. Teams now have massive incentives to not go over that threshold more than a year at a time. If you can’t go over more than a year at a time, you’ve got to really avoid long term contracts with 30+ year olds that could start declining any year. You can no long just absorb those costs. 

Before the current CBA, Dodgers were over $200m (including $275m one year) for like 5 years straight. 

I think teams are doing a better job developing prospects too. When was the last time you saw 2 teenagers, within a decade of each other, come up and set records? Acuña was 20 last year. We're seeing better players devolped and called up sooner than ever before. And they're producing. 

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think teams are doing a better job developing prospects too. When was the last time you saw 2 teenagers, within a decade of each other, come up and set records? Acuña was 20 last year. We're seeing better players devolped and called up sooner than ever before. And they're producing. 

Thats been a huge shift, yes. IMO one of the player-friendly changes needed is how service time is calculated in the minors and how long rookie contracts last. Need more of these guys hitting FA by 25-26 like Harper and Machado vs not hitting FA until 29-30. 

• Like 2

At this point, I'd be fine with Harper going somewhere other than an NL East Rival. Hell, I'd almost prefer to see him under a Chicago White Sox cap than back in D.C. since our outfield is getting kinda cramped (and God knows the South Siders need all the help they can get right now).

I want him and any other player to get paid but I also just want this whole thing to end. 

16 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

At this point, I'd be fine with Harper going somewhere other than an NL East Rival. Hell, I'd almost prefer to see him under a Chicago White Sox cap than back in D.C. since our outfield is getting kinda cramped (and God knows the South Siders need all the help they can get right now).

I want him and any other player to get paid but I also just want this whole thing to end. 

I honestly don’t even care if he goes to an NL East team, that way I can hate him like they all did for years. “Harper is a phony overrated douche” has a nice ring to it.

But I’d die inside a little if he went to one of those teams and *won* with them. Won MVPs, won pennants, etc. God forbid he brings a WS to Philly.

So yeah, safest bet is for him to go a SD or whatever. Need CWS to step up and buy Machado, then SD go nuts to get Harper. I don’t see either of those things happening. 😕 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Does feel if there were a 300M+ offer. It would have been signed by now. 

Maybe he is waiting for Nats to match mysterious 325 or 350 offer lol

He did the same **** with Kayla.  he left her and then it took a while back to realize he had to go back to her.  

• Like 1

Washington Post's Nats beat reporter Jesse Dougherty writes that the Nats and Davey Martinez are thinking about batting Victor Robles 9th as a "second leadoff hitter." 

They did that (position player 9th/pitcher 8th) some last year, most often with Wilmer Difo when he filled in at 3rd base Anthony Rendon was injured.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/19/nationals-are-toying-with-idea-batting-victor-robles-ninth-second-lead-off-hitter/?utm_term=.28d3fa97a115

Edited by Dan T.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

Washington Post Nats beat reporter Jesse Dougherty writes that the Nats and Davey Martinez are thinking about batting Victor Robles 9th as a "second leadoff hitter." 

They did that (position player 9th/pitcher 8th) some last year, most often with Wilmer Difo when he filled in at 3rd base Anthony Rendon was injured.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/19/nationals-are-toying-with-idea-batting-victor-robles-ninth-second-lead-off-hitter/?utm_term=.28d3fa97a115

Would be a win/win imo. Robles is going to be no higher than a 7 hole hitter for us with a regular lineup. Hitting him 7 or 8 with catcher and pitcher behind him is an utter waste of his speed.

Additionally, a young hitter with good *potential* at the plate could really use some protection to help him develop, which he wouldn’t get hitting 7th or below. 

Turner

Eaton

Rendon

Soto

Dozier

Zimm

Gomes/Suzuki

Pitcher

Robles

Lineup looks ok on paper with the potential to be good. Certainly should generate plenty of RBI chances for 3-6 slots.

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Would be a win/win imo. Robles is going to be no higher than a 7 hole hitter for us with a regular lineup. Hitting him 7 or 8 with catcher and pitcher behind him is an utter waste of his speed.

Additionally, a young hitter with good *potential* at the plate could really use some protection to help him develop, which he wouldn’t get hitting 7th or below. 

Turner

Eaton

Rendon

Soto

Dozier

Zimm

Gomes/Suzuki

Pitcher

Robles

Lineup looks ok on paper with the potential to be good. Certainly should generate plenty of RBI chances for 3-6 slots.

The Post article posits a different lineup:

Eaton

Turner

Soto

Rendon

Zimmerman

Dozier

Catcher

Pitcher

Robles

Just now, bearrock said:

Boz is on fire with his chat today, lol.  

Anyone subscribe to the Athletic?  I love WP Nats coverage, but with Chelsea Jane on her politics assignment, I was wondering if a subscription to the Athletic might be worth it

Mark Zuckerman does a pretty decent job with his Nats Pastime site:

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/

• Thanks 1