Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the average age of our real fan base?

clskinsfan

What is the average age of our fanbase? Tell us your age. Names will not be made public  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your age group?

• 0-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • Older than 70

Those of us on this site are the real die hard fans of this team. I am curious if the majority of us are older and experienced the "good times" of this franchise? We know attendance is down 21% this season. And we are seeing a shrinking fan base happen right before our eyes. The question is are there enough young people that are fans to save the franchise from total collapse. What we witnessed today at the dump that is Fedex field is an embarrassment of epic proportions.

I am 50 years old and have passed on my love of the Skins to my kids. My son loves going to the games but will not watch the Skins on TV. He will watch playoff football but we are never there so it doesnt matter. My daughter just became a Falcons fan this year because she is engaged to one. Not that I can blame her. She is 22 years old and has never seen success from this franchise.

I am just shy of 40.  Redskins fandom passed onto me by my dad.  We moved to CA when I was about 5 years old, starting take up an interest in football and almost became a 49ers fan merely because their games air here every week.  My dad noticed my interest and steered me towards the 'Skins.  I am loyal, what can I say.

I have two daughters (Almost 7 and just turned 3 in August), so far they are pretty uninterested in football. Lucky girls.

I already did this poll in the tailgate, no one is going to vote for under 21. 

It's not just that we are terrible and losing younger fans, this isn't a medium (message boards) younger fans grow up with, they do Facebook, periscope, Xbox live madden.  If you point is we've lost almost an entire generation of fans, its true, but I wouldn't use the age of our posters as a gauge of that.

If someone votes under 21, bless you, keep the faith, or at least make the most of the community.  Some people I've been posting with since we were both teenagers have turned on the team, but not the board, its tough, but it's true.  The one chance we had for new fans may have been 2012, you need that type if excitement to get this generation to come to this medium to talk about the Redskins.

I am 43.  My kids don’t share my enthusiasm for the Redskins, but respect my love of the team.  I would love to see the Redskins have a great postseason run, so my kids could experience and appreciate the team and what I had as the norm growing up.

30 on the nose, been posting here for now just over half my life. 

I remember when there used a to be a handful of teenagers, Poker actually beat me here, and some are still here.  But there was a point that we were getting old and no new blood was coming in, that was years ago.  I think sticking out with the team and sticking it out with the board are two different things now, as I've mentioned, there are some people in the tailgate that only come into the stadium out of habit now, they might as well be done.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I already did this poll in the tailgate, no one is going to vote for under 21. 

It's not just that we are terrible and losing younger fans, this isn't a medium (message boards) younger fans grow up with, they do Facebook, periscope, Xbox live madden.  If you point is we've lost almost an entire generation of fans, its true, but I wouldn't use the age of our posters as a gauge of that.

Agreed. A poll on this board isn't going to show that we've lost younger fans. They do other things. This board consists of us diehards who have been with the team forever. Youngsters don't bother with forums like this. I'm in the 61 to 70 category so I've lived through a lot with this team. I was a teenager when we lost to the undefeated Dolphins in Superbowl 7 and a young adult when we beat them in Super Bowl 17. 

The glory years. Screw that. We suck now and that's how it's going to be unless Snyder sells the team. Everyone calls for Bruce's head, but that's not the problem. Snyder will only hire "yes" men that do his bidding. If that's not obvious then I don't know what is.  

This is gonna be tough to quantify because young people don't really do the message board thing. The fanbase will skew much older here than it would on twitter for instance. I'm 29, have been here for over ten years, and even back then when we had hope it was considered odd by people my age that I was on an old school message board. There's lots of us in my age range here but we're a small percentage of our generation. And it gets worse the younger you go. 

Took my 16 year old daughter to her first game this season vs. Houston she actually enjoyed it and would like to go again 

She first asked about going to a game from seeing the stadium at the top of Superman ride of steel at Six Flags America 

9 hours ago, Skins8989 said:

Seems alot of the younger fans are Capitals or Nats fans.

Fixed that for you.

The Redskins are rapidly losing the 20-30-something demographic and that demographic is now having kids, who are absolutely not going to be Redskins fans. Even older folks are jumping ship as far as watching religiously every week. It's an exodus, the attendance and ratings prove it.

But the true effects of this **** show won't be felt for about 10-15 years when today's kids are the main consumers and none of them have a connection to the franchise. They did just see a championship parade though.

Asked my kids to watch the game yesterday and they said - why would I watch that?  Almost every time you watch it, you get upset...who needs that?

My mother is in her 70s - still goes to every game along w/ my sister.  My brother in law and I gave up our tickets this year.  My sister has no kids and my kids want nothing to do w/ this team.  Redskin fandom dies with my generation.  I'm 46.

Archived