Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where do we go from here (QB wise) this year and next?

MCnDaHouse

31 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Clearly it's because Gruden is racist and not because Bridgewater is on the Saints and perhaps T.J. Yates didnt have as good of a workout as Johnson, or that Johnson is already familiar with Gruden type offenses...

I didn't realize Bridgewater was on the Saints. I find it hard to believe that Johnson would retain the offense that well after 7 yrs and having been on multiple teams. Yes, he may pick it up faster than someone who's never been in it but it's hard for me to believe he's the best option. As far as your racism comment that's absurd and hopefully was in jest.

22 minutes ago, MCnDaHouse said:

I didn't realize Bridgewater was on the Saints. I find it hard to believe that Johnson would retain the offense that well after 7 yrs and having been on multiple teams. Yes, he may pick it up faster than someone who's never been in it but it's hard for me to believe he's the best option. As far as your racism comment that's absurd and hopefully was in jest.

It was sarcasm. I should have put the rolling eye smiley in there.

At this point, I am OK with signing Uncle Rico.

10 Reasons Uncle Rico Would Be a Better Redskins QB than Most Names Being Floated

they should look no further than Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite. Sure, laugh all you want. But when you sit down and think about it, you’ll realize that I am absolutely right.  Here are 10 reasons that Napoleon Dynamite‘s uncle, Rico, would make a great Redskins quarterback.

https://dc.ourcommunitynow.com/sports/10-reasons-redskins-hire-uncle-rico/

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

There is no way we can sink more cap space into the QB position. 

We will have to retain Colt, probably give Sanchez a one year deal, and then get one in the draft. 

I think this is the operative point, already too much money sunk in the position much of which towards a QB who may not play.    Guys like Bridgewater, etc likely get at least 10 million on the FA market.  You'd be then dedicating like 35 million to that spot.

I think Finlay is right who said the other day get ready for months talking about the 2019 QB prospects for the draft -- depending on who declares we'd be likely talking a lot of:  Haskins, Lock, D. Jones, Grier. 

We will most likely end up with a pick between 10-14. There we will be in position to take or trade a few spots up to draft a Herbert or Haskins. The only teams in front of us that would possibly want to take a QB will be Jacksonville and Tampa. 

Saints gave up a 3rd rounder to get Bridgewater.  If he is any good they will retain him, if he hits free agency that tells you he is not worth it.  

Alex won't be ready for the start of next year even in the most optimistic of scenarios so Colt will be penciled in as starter heading in to the offseason and if he could avoid getting hurt and give us 16 games I actually think he would be a serviceable option.  I definitely think he can do anything Andy Dalton can for example.  We will have to keep a veteran in for the number 2 spot, Sanchez may show us enough and if not there will be other options out there.  We have to carry a 3rd QB this time and not try to smuggle anyone through waivers and PS them.  I would do my due diligence on every small school, mid round QB prospect out there and hope we can luck into a Russell Wilson in the 3rd round situation.  

Rolling with Colt and another veteran will allow the rest of the roster to show what they have, we probably max out at 6 wins and could easily finish with just 3 or 4 but the expectation is that next year would be Jay's last.  This at least will put enough decent game tape out there for the next coach to appraise the roster and decide who he wants to retain.  With any luck Bruce is gone too and we get a real GM and a strong Coach and are nicely positioned to take advantage of a strong QB class in the 2020 draft.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:45 PM, goskins10 said:

As for Bridgewater, for me anyone you bring in should be a one year rental. The team should be looking at the 2020 draft for their QB. There is no one in the draft this year that should really excite anyone.

What's the word on Jake Fromm?  I think his game translates better to a traditional pocket passer.  As a freshman vs Bama he was changing protections.  He definitely goes thru progressions as opposed to most 1 read college QB's. 

The athletic QB is too risky.  We've been burned too many times.  Give me a QB who mostly stays in the pocket and lets the play makers take the hits. 

NM, can't come out till 2020.  I'd start loading up on draft picks for 2020 then.

36 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

We will most likely end up with a pick between 10-14. There we will be in position to take or trade a few spots up to draft a Herbert or Haskins. The only teams in front of us that would possibly want to take a QB will be Jacksonville and Tampa. 

Dont forget about the Giants

5 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

What's the word on Jake Fromm?  I think his game translates better to a traditional pocket passer.  As a freshman vs Bama he was changing protections.  He definitely goes thru progressions as opposed to most 1 read college QB's. 

The athletic QB is too risky.  We've been burned too many times.  Give me a QB who mostly stays in the pocket and lets the play makers take the hits. 

NM, can't come out till 2020.  I'd start loading up on draft picks for 2020 then.

2020 is likely going to be the big season for QBs in the draft.  Tua is going to be in that draft as well.  I could see it looking similar to Luck / Griff where they go 1/2.  

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this is the operative point, already too much money sunk in the position much of which towards a QB who may not play.    Guys like Bridgewater, etc likely get at least 10 million on the FA market.  You'd be then dedicating like 35 million to that spot.

I think Finlay is right who said the other day get ready for months talking about the 2019 QB prospects for the draft -- depending on who declares we'd be likely talking a lot of:  Haskins, Lock, D. Jones, Grier. 

I cant see anything other than McCoy as starter with a rookie back up, maybe Sanchez as back up too, carrying 3 QBs.

Assuming Gruden is still here that is.

49 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Denver apparently is hot for a QB but they likely pick after us, I recall reading that Elway has been sniffing a lot around Lock.  If Haskins declares and kills the off season which he might, he could end up going top 5 maybe even #1 considering how coveted QBs are even if they aren't the best player in the draft.

If we lose out.  Tonight's game is big perhaps because if Jax wins that one and then beats us we could leapfrog them.  Tampa could easily leapfrog us in that case.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I cant see anything other than McCoy as starter with a rookie back up, maybe Sanchez as back up too, carrying 3 QBs.

Assuming Gruden is still here that is.

Agree and I suspect they draft a QB high -- I think they are boxed in to sell something to the fan base as for the future.  The one in between approach that I could see is draft Rypien which they probably could do in the 3rd-4th round and sell the nostalgia of the name. 

For some reason, I feel the Skins will rely on Colt, Sanchez/Johnson, or some other journeyman fee agent QB for the 2019 season and try to stockpile picks to land a top-tier QB in the 2020 draft. 

I keep reading now the 2019 draft doesn't have a lot of  high-quality QBs as in 2018.  Most say that the 2020 class will have a lot more "blue-chip" QBs to draft.

As someone who has been vastly critical of Bruce’s handling of the QB position and knew this whole ordeal would end badly, this is a whole new level of awful. 

I’m not even quite sure it’s sunk in for most yet, as we sit here and debate what the QB situation looks like next season.  We’re talking about whether Mark Sanchez plays well enough will he be here next season.  Not even I could have predicted how absolutely awful this is, even in hyperbole.

Alex couldn’t just come here and be lackluster, no - he breaks his leg in half like Joe T with so many similarities.  The guy apparently hasn’t left the hospital since.  Just sad.  Only for Colt to come in and also break his leg.  

Where else does stuff stuff like this happen?

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As someone who has been vastly critical of Bruce’s handling of the QB position and knew this whole ordeal would end badly, this is a whole new level of awful. 

I’m not even quite sure it’s sunk in for most yet, as we sit here and debate what the QB situation looks like next season.  We’re talking about whether Mark Sanchez plays well enough will he be here next season.  Not even I could have predicted how absolutely awful this is, even in hyperbole.

Alex couldn’t just come here and be lackluster, no - he breaks his leg in half like Joe T with so many similarities.  The guy apparently hasn’t left the hospital since.  Just sad.  Only for Colt to come in and also break his leg.  

Any Given Sunday.

Except we don't have a Willie Beamen sitting on the bench.

The cluelessness of Bruce will cost this team another half decade once he is out the door.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

it doesn't... were in football god purgatory.  Dan Snyder sold his soul to get this team and now we're suffering the results of that transaction.   

Archived