Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Why do you keep holding out hope this franchise actually has the patience to develop a young franchise QB outside wishful thinking?  They won't tank for higher pick, they won't stop trading for band-aids, isn't it obvious they are terrified to do what you are begging them to do?

I can relate because I don't trust them 100% on squat.  But I can only take each move as it comes.    I've ripped this FO as much as anyone on the board to say the least.  But I have to take each move as it comes.  And I have to be consistent in complementing what I like as much as killing them at what they don't like.

It's not that i love acquiring Keenum.  But Keenum at 3.5 million is dirt cheap.  I was afraid they were going to overpay for Bridgewater, Tannehill or another FA who I don't love.  But if they get any serviceable QB at 3.5 million then in a vacuum at least that's a good move IMO.  

But just like I say really every off season, I need to see the whole plan play out before complementing or killing them.  2 years ago I liked what they did on the aggregate.  Last year I did not.  But I let it all play out first.  Am doing the same here.

So yeah its not some holistic endorsement of this FO or faith in what they do next.  I just can't rip them for a move I am fine with in a vacuum.   This off season I am more relaxed than ever.  If they make good moves to set up the future -- then terrific.  If they make bad moves then I suspect the team tanks and they are forced to reboot.

19 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Regardless of what is being reported, this tells me that the Skins ARE done with Rosen. 

They may draft a qb but I think that will be the end of their qb moves. 

The moment a team "tanks" they become garbage.

period.

Then we become what half of the people on this board alredy think we are.

@Skinsinparadise fair, and as a fan I want to give them benefit of the doubt.  This just feels like groundhog day all over again, if they could show this approach worked that'd be different for me, that's my concern.  Again, we literally just did this last year, this one just cost less.  Does this guy even fit Jays offense?  How much influence did he even have in what looks like another QB picked for him?

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps the Cards really don’t have Rosen on the block right now but might later.

One of the things I heard today forgot where is there is some suspicion that if the Cardinals trade Rosen they might wait it out closer to the draft.  I guess will see.   Also a couple of the Arizona beat guys keep saying they haven't made up their minds yet about what they are doing in the draft albeit national guys are saying they are drafting Murray for sure.  Lots of conflicting reports. 

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Skinsinparadise fair, and as a fan I want to give them benefit of the doubt.  This just feels like groundhog day all over again, if they could show this approach worked that'd be different for me, that's my concern.  Again, we literally just did this last year, this one just cost less.  Does this guy even fit Jays offense?  How much influence did he even have in what looks like another QB picked for him?

I haven't dove in to Keenum yet but I recall his thing is play action.  Good play action QB.   And he can throw on the run.  I'd guess he's a fit.  But I am not worried about it.  If he bombs so be it and I explained why.  But my gut is they aren't done at QB and I said that even before Keim and the same guy who broke the story said they might still be in on Rosen or another QB.  And ditto from our own resident insider, TK. 

OK, so I have seen the following:

1. This move means they absolutely not in for Rosen.

2. This move means they are not drafting a QB!

3. This move means they are done at QB altogether!

4. Keenum is the starter and the team will be mediocre again next year - this one at least has some reason to it - but.....

Damn folks it's March 7th!! The new season has not even started. Still have Free Agency and th draft.

They picked up a journeyman QB for almost nothing. It changes nothing except McCoy now has competition either to start or as a back-up. They could easily still trade for Rosen. They could still trade up and get a QB. A top QB could fall to them. Swapping a 6th for 7th rd pick to get Keenum is just about as close to free as you can get!

All moves on the table. Nothing decided today except they have a new player on the team.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of the things I heard today forgot where is there is some suspicion that if the Cardinals trade Rosen they might wait it out closer to the draft.  I guess will see.   Also a couple of the Arizona beat guys keep saying they haven't made up their minds yet and what they are doing in the draft albeit national guys are saying they are drafting Murray for sure.  Lots of conflicting reports. 

I've been seeing the same - some say no sooner than 6 weeks all the way up to the draft.  The longer they wait the more teams are going elsewhere.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Let's convert Trent and Kerrigen's contracts to a signing bonus, and then we can afford to trade for Antonio and extend him to a massive contract.  Keenum to Brown will save our franchise.

All as a tear comes to Mark Sanchez's eye...

Go ahead and convert Alexs too. So sign Landon Collins, trade for AB, draft the best K at 15 and we are good to go......

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

OK, so I have seen the following:

1. This move means they absolutely not in for Rosen.

2. This move means they are not drafting a QB!

3. This move means they are done at QB altogether!

4. Keenum is the starter and the team will be mediocre again next year - this one at least has some reason to it - but.....

Damn folks it's March 7th!! The new season has not even started. Still have Free Agency and th draft.

They picked up a journeyman QB for almost nothing. It changes nothing except McCoy now has competition either to start or as a back-up. They could easily still trade for Rosen. They could still trade up and get a QB. A top QB could fall to them. Swapping a 6th for 7th rd pick to get Keenum is just about as close to free as you can get!

All moves on the table. Nothing decided today except they have a new player on the team.

A lot of people need to walk back from the ledge!  😂😂

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't dove in to Keenum yet but I recall his thing is play action.  Good play action QB.   And he can throw on the run.  I'd guess he's a fit.  But I am not worried about it.  If he bombs so be it and I explained why.  But my gut is they aren't done at QB and I said that even before Keim and the same guy who broke the story said they might still be in on Rosen or another QB.  And ditto from our own resident insider, TK. 

My thing is not playing too safe, Alex was driving Jay crazy last year (I'm left field, but I believe he was gonna bench him), but we all saw Keenum tear us a new one the year before when he was a Viking.  That's why him failing in Denver has me so concerned, maybe we aren't done at QB this year, but recent history would suggest we are. 

I'd love our front office to cut Colt and this basically be a move for a new backup, I don't know if we're that intelligent, though.  There is serious potential here if we don't blow our wad to get AB, it just leaves the future as a question mark still and I'm tired of that as present goes to ****.

With our cap restraints being what they are getting an average starting QB who is durable for 3.5M on a 1 yr deal is perfect for us. 

We need cap space and we don't need old/previously injured QB's who are on or expect expensive long term deals.

Thank god we didn't sign Bridgewater or Tanny, makes me think the FO is positioning itself to use a 1st rounder on a QB either this year or next.

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I've been seeing the same - some say no sooner than 6 weeks all the way up to the draft.  The longer they wait the more teams are going elsewhere.

In one sense you figure they'd do better to trade him before FA because teams can land on other solutions.  But I am guessing they can get away with waiting too because they can deal on draft day with a team that might have missed out on their QB target in the draft.   Plus if all they are getting is a 3rd round offer thus far -- they might want to play hard to get to see if a team raises their price.

And if that doesn't happen then worse case they hold on to him through the draft and perhaps get a team that is willing to deal with them because its almost a given that a starting QB from some team will go down in training camp or early in the season.  That's part of how the Eagles got a good sum from the Vikings for Bradford.  

Archived