Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

90s music

ThePackisback

Being in HS during the early 90s, it's definitely my favorite era with a lot of great bands that still hold up today.  The festival tours during the 90s were great too.  Lollapalooza, H.O.R.D.E Tour, Smokin Grooves Tour, Warped Tour.  A lot of different styles of music that came to areas all over the US.  I saw Alice In Chains for the first time when they were the opening band on the Clash of the Titans tour (Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth) and I was hooked on them ever since.  And yes I owned the Spin Doctors CD.  Anytime I hear Two Princes it takes me back to HS.  

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I would argue that would made the Seattle bands good is the simple fact that they had little in common. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were basically metal. Pearl Jam was more "hard rock," I guess (more blues-based). And Nirvana was a punk band. Send wave grunge was basically everyone either aping Nirvana's soft-loud vibe or having lead singers that sounded like Cornell and/or Vedder. (Hello, STP!!!)

I never heard a whole lot of punk influence in Nirvana.   I think people labelled them punk because of the way they dressed/stage prescence/lyrics.  But punk to me as a musical style that relies heavily on repeated chords (something like G-G-G-G-G-A-A-A-A-A-A-E-E-E-E-E, the classic Ramones style).   Nirvana never really played like that that I remember, though Cobains style was pretty simple complicated, (as opposed to someone like EVH who was all over the place)

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Also, that Blessed Union of Souls' song is secretly one of the ten worst rock songs ever recorded and may represent the absolute moment when "alternative" radio jumped the shark.

I legit had no idea that the lead singer of that band was black.  I'm still not sure I believe it.  Could be a talented ventriloquist in the band.

He makes Darius Rucker look like Ol Dirty ****.

Using that ODB segue, another 90's classic:

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I tried with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. I really did. I feel 50 people tried to get me into them when I was in college, and it just never took. At the end of the day, I still like hooks, and I never found a hook in one of their songs that did anything for me.

They are one of those bands who put out an album with 8 hunks of garbage and two gems.

~Bang

Matthew Sweet seemed like he had about 7 songs in heavy rotation (I think all from this album) for about a year, and poof he was gone. I always thought of him as kind of like the Steve Miller of the early 90s. One of his less popular, less bubble-gummy songs:

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Regarldless, "best music eras" always come down to the same factor of "best SNL cast." What was going on when you were 17?

Kind of but not quite for me

90’s music is my favorite and I was 17 in 2002-2003. 

But I always hung out with people 2-3 years older than me. I definitely identify with gen x’ers and I’m way past the cutoff. Junior and senior years were rough - all my friend aweee in college. My entire life my wife is the only person I dated younger than me and she’s only younger than me by 1 month. 

My dad bought me a discman nirvana’s never mind and sublime’s 40 oz to freedom when I was like 10. I was instantly hooked. 

The problem with being so young in the 90s was I missed all the tours and festivals when they were in their best form :(

Sad sublime wasn’t mentioned once. I had a lot of things explained to me growing up that stated with a sublime song.  

Archived