Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

90s music

ThePackisback

Hahaha were packing up to move and just had this conversation 

wife: you have a lot of cd’s (from the 90’s and early 00’s)

me: yeah did you look at them and judge me?

wife: no I didn’t have time

me: I definitely would have judged you

Those Beastie Boys tracks flooded me with memories.  Hello Nasty was formative for me.  It was the first CD I bought with my own money instead of just stealing them from my cousin and older sister after they were done listening to them.  Negotiation Limerick File was my favorite song from the album. I've always liked how well the form translated to a hip hop flow:

I graduated high school in 2000. So many great one or two hit song bands along with just great bands. 

Local H - bound to the floor

Toadies - Possum Kingdom

Sponge - Plowed

Candlebox - Far Behind 

I grew up in Annapolis when I got my license Jimmy’s Chicken Shack was starting to get popular on 99.1. Saw the open HFStevial in I think 99. 

Silverchair Frogstomo is one of my favorites top to bottom of the 90s. 

That and Bush Razor Blade Suitcase. 

26 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ugh, Bush, the British Nirvana clone ...

Followed by Silverchair, the Australian Nirvana clone

Bush is one of those bands that I listened to and am happy to leave in the past.  I listened to Glycerine a couple of months ago for the first time in forever and it made me laugh and that is not the reaction I remembered having as a teenager.  I don't think it could be more cliche and less inspired.

20 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Regarldless, "best music eras" always come down to the same factor of "best SNL cast." What was going on when you were 17?

That can't be more true...perfectly said on both things! 

To me, the era from 1990-1995 was perfect (I was 13-18 then). I got 96% of my pop culture and actual news awareness from SNL and enjoyed the **** out of some Cube, Dre, Snoop, Eazy, and Warren G (on the hip hop side) and Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and eventually Foo (on that alt side). 

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bush is one of those bands that I listened to and am happy to leave in the past.  I listened to Glycerine a couple of months ago for the first time in forever and it made me laugh and that is not the reaction I remembered having as a teenager

Reaction as a teenager

glyyyyyyyycerinnnnnnnnnnnne

duhn duhn, duhn duhn

glyyyyyyyycerinnnnnnnnnnnne

Once you learn how to play the guitar you instantly develop a hatred for Bush for convincing you to ever like them, and for anyone that still likes them

15 hours ago, GoSkinsGo said:

Silverchair Frogstomo is one of my favorites top to bottom of the 90s. 

I was blasting Frogstomp for about two months straight at the end of this summer.

I still love this song even though I can't understand a ****ing word Billy Corgan is signing after all these years.  Except who wants that Honey, something about money....whatever, it still sounds good.

And this one too.

And I don't give a ****.  JUDGE ME.  I don't care.  If we are still talking about secretly getting down to Limp Bizkit, you can't judge me.  I am baring my soul, I still like this song:

Put your politics aside, ease up and admit that this song still kicks ass.

19 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

I hate when Screaming Trees gets left out of the conversation of Seattle bands from that era. Such a great band. 

Who wants to hear the band I was in? 2 girls, 3 guys, kind of punk I guess. That's where most of our roots were. I was lead guitar. Not embedding because it's the whole album. We kind of sucked! Check it out! Youtube link

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't get the damn link to start at the beginning. I see I have 2 more views since I originally posted. Rocketing up the charts again! 

The same goes for the Melvin's. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bush is one of those bands that I listened to and am happy to leave in the past.  I listened to Glycerine a couple of months ago for the first time in forever and it made me laugh and that is not the reaction I remembered having as a teenager.  I don't think it could be more cliche and less inspired.

Dang you guys are rough. I remember riding around in my 87 Cadillac Broughman rocking out to the album on my way to a house party. Was it a musical revelation not at all, but it was a great music filler at a party.

Going a little heavier.

I was listening to Anthrax - Sound of White Noise on my way to work this morning. Still holds up.

59 minutes ago, Mufumonk said:

The same goes for the Melvin's. 

Funny you mentioned the Melvins, because they are basically the band Nirvana copied.  (Pretty sure they even admitted this at one point)

Its too bad, as far as I can tell they never actually wrote "music".  And their lead singer's vocals, ouch ...

I guess its I can forgive copying an unpopular sound, but not one thats already  popular 

Archived