Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In defense of Martyball

Burgold

The Redskins are playing different brand of football. 

Time of possession, field position, trench warfare, and a ground attack.  

Alex Smith is the perfect QB for this offense. He's not going to put up huge numbers, but he takes care of the ball and manages the game well. 

As long as we;re winning, I couldn't care less about Kirk Grossman numbers. 

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This approach could very well win this crap division. So, from that standpoint, it's good. From the standpoint, that it's going to result in a 20 point first round loss, it all seems sort of futile.

If the playoffs started today, we’d host the Seahawks.

I like our chances in that matchup.

18 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If the playoffs started today, we’d host the Seahawks.

I like our chances in that matchup.

This just feels like the season every NFL team has every three or four years, We've won two coin flip games in a row against **** teams in a year where the Eagles seem to have the hangover of all hangovers. This feels like a 10-6 division win followed by wild card game where we score, like, 9 points.

The end result of this is going to be lifetime contracts for Allen and Gruden.

I've said before, I think Dan has found his Marvin Lewis at long last. The Bengals have had this season at least once every three years for the past 15 years or so.

PS The Seahawks suck. The fact that they may stumble ass-backwards into a wild card berth doesn't change that.

Honestly, I think outside of Smiths play, we're pretty happy with this type of team.

And to add, if Smith starts looking like he used to (not 2017, that ain't happening), as in being more accurate, I think everyone will be happy. We're not going to win a shootout, but we're going to win against most teams that way.

I liked Marty ball.  Perhaps interesting to only me, but the QB whose play Smith seems to be imitating played up the road in Baltimore.  For any who think Marty got a raw deal being run out of town here, I present a QB who managed to get his team 20 wins in a row before being replaced by the glitz and glammer QB playing their team out of the playoffs.  I think Smith is playing a lot like Dilfer did for the Ravens...and that's actually a compliment.

I am a "Just win, baby!  Just win!" kind of fan.  

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

As long as we;re winning, I couldn't care less about Kirk Grossman numbers. 

Not picking on you, but I just want to clarify the opposite point...

I think the entire fan base would be perfectly fine winning for an entire season or, God willing, a string of seasons just the way we've won our 5 games this year. The counter point is that some don't think it's sustainable without or mutually exclusive from getting a little more out of the passing game. We can still win in the trenches with a run-first mentality, but also hit open receivers and be more efficient in the passing game. 

So, I think those who are complaining about the "stats" are doing so more out of projecting how this works moving forward rather than because they want big passing stats. For example, how do we beat the Rams or Saints if we face them in a big game or the post-season? What do we do in the inevitable game that our D can't hold down the opponent to < 20 points? 

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think those who are complaining about the "stats" are doing so more out of projecting how this works moving forward

Would they not then be projecting zero growth and development... moving forward...  with the pass game then? 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My point is that when the strength of this team breaks down, I don't think we can count on Smith to carry the load though.  I'd love to be wrong, maybe he can step up and deliver a huge game but I wouldn't bet on it.

And GB looked like a middling-SEC team without Rodgers last year.

"BuT iF yOu TAke aWaY wHaT thEy DO wELl tHeY dON't loOk GOod."

Thanks Captain Obvious

3 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Would they not then be projecting zero growth and development... moving forward...  with the pass game then? 

I'm not sure what you're asking...but I personally think we will improve. I think we got better vs. the Giants, to be honest. 

All I meant to say was that I think ALL fans would be fine winning this way. When we comment on the passing game it's not because we'd prefer stats over wins. It's because we think a stronger passing game makes it more likely that we'll continue winning. I'd be elated to watch a 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens season.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure what you're asking...but I personally think we will improve.

Well, you answered me just fine, but I would say the question then goes to others that so not share your rosy outlook.

For those that "worry about this offense against playoff teams." Playoff teams WILL be there. This, we know.

What I propose is.. maybe this current pass game of bleh is not at the same level in December.. that it is today... when we do meet those playoff teams.

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Adrian averaging over 100 in all 5 wins maybe has a little something to do with that.

I think Adrian averaging over 100 has everything to do with it, and The OL being healthy and productive is where that all begins. 

52 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. I think the D has had a pretty big hand in it too. It ain't all Peterson.  And heck, Smith's eight touchdown passes probably didn't hurt either.

Yeah, it's OK to finally have 53 guys who buy into the "win and lose as a team" philosophy. We have some names and a couple big personalities, but our recent high draft picks have been big-uglies, which tends to cultivate a more team-centric identity. 

7 hours ago, kleese said:

We were eliminated from the playoffs at 6-8 and then won our last two games. During the competitive part of our season we went 6-8 and lost when we had a chance to make playoffs. I was very meh about Marty and that season. 

Either the last game or next to last game that season was originally to be played earlier but was delayed due to 9/11 If I remember correctly 

1 hour ago, c slag said:

Either the last game or next to last game that season was originally to be played earlier but was delayed due to 9/11 If I remember correctly 

Last game... Home vs Cardinals. That likely gave us an extra win that year... we couldn’t have beaten anyone those first few weeks. 

Archived