Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - NFC East FIRST PLACE Redskins VS dem bois

TK

This is what pisses me off more than anything:

Washington managed to run just 28 seconds off the clock on the ensuing possession that ended with quarterback Alex Smith running out of bounds while trying to scramble for a first down. The clock stoppage preserved Dallas’ final timeout.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-comeback-attempt-clangs-off-upright-loss-redskins-234535328.html

One measly first down and it's over.  One.  Tiny.   Little.   First down.

Gruden sucks and I am beginning to question if Smith knows what the hell he is doing.

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What exactly about Alex’s play should inspire any level of confidence in Jay to air it out a bit more near the end?

You don't necessarily have to "air it out" as in take a bunch of unnecessary risks and start throwing bombs. But how about just mixing it up a bit and throwing some relatively safe passes or some PA on a down other than 3rd?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Some of y'all are ****ing nuts. We beat the Panthers then beat the cowboys for the division and yall upset? That was a bad ass old school football game. Came down to mistakes, TOs and STs. 

I totally called that game. Walk tall, were legit good.

I dont think people are upset but just like me we are not happy with Alex not happy we got zero tds in the second half even with 2 first and goals in side the 10yrd line not happy we couldnt stop them late in the 4th

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Viking defense has gone in the crapper, Skins has come up strong.

In no world is Alex playing better than Kirk this year.

I'll agree with that, I was just going along with the trend of people pulling up a QB's won-loss record, when it conveniently proves the point they want to make.

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You don't necessarily have to "air it out" as in take a bunch of unnecessary risks and start throwing bombs. But how about just mixing it up a bit and throwing some relatively safe passes or some PA on a down other than 3rd?

Seriously. The lack of play action was appalling. They set it up so perfectly and Dallas was selling out to stop the run. 

• TK unpinned this topic
48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Carroll, Caughlin and Harbaugh are all VASTLY better coaches than Jay Gruden.  Even if the first one one is a big cheater and the last one is a complete pompous ass.  (I have nothing negative to say about Coughlin. Crusty old codger but a hell of a good football coach, and I was thrilled when the Giants ran him out of town.) but they are miles better coaches, which is why they were able to pull off these feats with limited offenses.

You could even throw in that Bucs team with Jon Gruden.  At that point in time, there wasn’t a better coach in football than Jon Gruden.  Gruden built both the Raiders and Bucs, both of which played in the SB. Then he wanted personnel control, Bucs hired Allen and everything went to ****.

Even that first Ravens team with Dilfer as QB, Billick finally figured out how to coach that team, and Marvin Lewis was a hell of a DC.  

I think a lot of us just can’t see this team winning much of anything while Jay continues to be a “play not to lose” coach.  And until that changes, they have a pretty definite ceiling of ~10 wins and a playoff loss.  Basically like Marvin Lewis. Up to now, anyway.

So what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

it means it has nothing to do with Gruden

It sounds like the issues that Skins and Cowboys fans feel about a win is very similar.  Several of the Cowboys fans I know had the same concerns that many Skins fans have.  Most Cowboys fans I know do not feel that there is a lot riding on these division games.  There is a sense that, even if you make the playoffs, the team will have no chance of making a run for the Super Bowl.  At some point, you need a passing game that will keep up with teams with very good offenses... which will also be the teams that you would play in the playoffs.  Personally, I think fans should savor these types of wins.  If you make the playoffs, you give your team a chance to get hot at the right time.  The Giants have turned some flawed teams into championships.  Also, I would rather be a fan of a team that won their division and lost in the playoffs, than a fan of a team that needs significant improvement to make the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, carex said:

it means it has nothing to do with Gruden

He’s the HC.  It’s his decision now.  What Pettibone did, for example, in the 1991 win against the falcons is completely irrelevant. Or what Gregg Williams did.  Or Greg Blache. Or Haz. Or that fool Barry. 

It’s Grudens team now and strategy is his responsibility.  What happened before is 100% irrelevant.

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

True, though on the flip side Kirk has a WAY better surrounding cast.

That being said, I agree with @Voice_of_Reason. In no way is Alex playing better than Kirk right now. 

I would agree with what you’re saying about Kirk playing better than Smith.However, the fact that Alex doesn’t turn the ball over near as much as Cousins has allowed the Redskins to win some games they might not have otherwise. Hopefully, Alex can get more comfortable in the offense and the team can get  a little healthier and they can start to click later on.  I will take winning ugly right now.

Replace Smith this year with Cousins of the last three years and we'd be 5-1 right now and cruising towards 11+ wins.

Cousins has a better supporting cast in Minnesota sure, but he's also a legit top 10 QB in this league. And he'd finally have a run game and D here.

Thanks Bruce.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

The thing about Gruden, for me, is that I don't mind him at all as a play schemer. IMO he's actually pretty good at coming up with plays that can get guys open. His issue is play calling in-game; he just sucks at it because he's so damn scared and predictable most of the time. 

coach-klein.jpg

Archived