Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Panthers

KDawg

I won't over analyze yesterdays game because the fact is we beat a good football team in the Carolina panthers and with that win we sit in 1st place in the NFC East. That's all there is to it and winning is good enough for me. In my 35+ years as a Redskins fan iv found its better to live in the moment of success with this team, they are a few and far between. ENJOY IT GUYS

giphy.gif

One underrated aspect of the first 5 games is that we've gotten a leg up on a couple other potential NFC wild card contenders. Sure, let's win the division. But, assuming Philly rights the ship and gets to 10-11 wins, I don't think we'll match that pace. 

However, we have a shot here to get to 4-1 in the NFC if we can beat Dallas. That alone is a very important start for tie-breakers. Add to that we have a head-to-head win over the Packers and Panthers who are both unlikely to win their respective divisions, and we couldn't ask for a better start. 

The script is written: no big day for AP, no win. 

That's the only way we win games this year.  But I hope Guice is hanging around the Park, soaking up knowledge from him. 

With a capable running game and a mobile QB, they should be able to scheme up more big plays off play action and bootlegs.  Anything to keep Smith from having to drop back and stand there.  

I'm not too worried about Dunbar. Any not-elite corner is going to have those kind of days. 

The defensive front is the strength of the team and showed it.  But 2 #1 picks, they'd better be.  

And Doctson was clearly not 100%, but he gutted it up.  3 catches for 20 yards isnt anything special, but I grade him on a sliding scale of low expectations.  He caught the catchable balls thrown to him.  That's about the praise I got.  I think one was a big first down.  

For not healthy C and D-list receivers, as a group, they did as good as they're gonna do yesterday.

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Dissident2 Kirk has legitimate top-end weapons and a smart OC.  

Alex has Josh Doctson, some average weapons and Gruden.

Not suggesting Alex is better but he’s playing with a stacked deck... not in his direction.

I'd say that would be a good point if Kirk hadn't put up similar numbers last season with the same guys you mention. And no AP. 

Also not suggesting Kirk is some elite player, but I'm missing him so far. I truly hope Alex can put an end to that, but I'm not seeing it yet. 

To stay true to the intent of this thread, that's my main takeaway from yesterday, that Smith just does not look at all "as advertised," and that's a huge concern moving forward for me. It's not an argument about Kirk vs. Smith. There's no point in arguing it anymore. Besides, the numbers speak for themselves. 

That said, both teams have pretty much the same records, and in the end, that's all that matters. Alex gets us a win next week, and I'm much more in his corner. 

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

With a capable running game and a mobile QB, they should be able to scheme up more big plays off play action and bootlegs.  Anything to keep Smith from having to drop back and stand there.  

Alex Smith is supposed to be known for athleticism. Why we don't do more bootlegs for him (kind of like KC with Mahomes) is beyond me since our OL sucks this year.

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Right now Im just enjoying the win.

The thought occurred to me during the game though...how bad would we be without AP, who just fell into our lap and we were planning to play the season without?  We'd be 1-4 right now.

He's been great. In fairness, we were only planning to play the season without him because we thought we had a rookie RB who could do a lot of what he's done. 

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Alex Smith is supposed to be known for athleticism. Why we don't do more bootlegs for him (kind of like KC with Mahomes) is beyond me since our OL sucks this year.

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday plus you ever notice Smith has a tenancy under center to barely drop back after the snap, I'm not sure if this is by design but i saw quite a few plays where the guy literally took the snap and just stood there inches from the center lol. 

4 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday plus you ever notice Smith has a tenancy under center to barely drop back after the snap, I'm not sure if this is by design but i saw quite a few plays where the guy literally took the snap and just stood there inches from the center lol. 

This would be squarely in the Redskins' wheelhouse: 

Horrible coaching combined with bringing in players and forcing them to play against their tendencies rather than playing to their strengths.

10 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Right now Im just enjoying the win.

The thought occurred to me during the game though...how bad would we be without AP, who just fell into our lap and we were planning to play the season without?  We'd be 1-4 right now.

I mean, it sucks about Guice, but I'm not sure how much better he would've been over AP.  We lucked out on that.

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

He's been great. In fairness, we were only planning to play the season without him because we thought we had a rookie RB who could do a lot of what he's done. 

True, though thats a lot of faith in a rookie.  Just makes me wonder about the ability or coaching of the rest of the team bar the RB.  I know Im really hoping AP stays healthy the whole season, more than anyone else.

Well we're 3-1 in conference with wins against GB and Carolina who'll have some say in the playoffs. I wont go into quarterbacking, AP is a beast, Oline needs work, Dline can't penetrate. I guess they need age and experience.. But hey, were 3-2 and we got Dallas, and our schedule from here on out does not look nearly as bad as it did prior to the season starting.. Looks like every game is winnable...

Alex Smith does not look comfortable behind this OL. As long as we can run the ball the passing game is just about good enough to beat the average and the mediocre, but this team isn't going anywhere until the pass protection improves and Smith develops more rapport with his receivers.

The drop off in second half performance I put down to the opponents making adjustments better than we do. Combine that with the disjointed team performances and I think there's a coaching problem.

There is still time for it to come together, and I'd rather improve towards the finish of the season than start strong and fade, I just wish there wasn't quite so much room for improvement...

43 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

We tried to crack em open with a couple PA boots in the first half.  Carolina was sitting on it both times...blitzed the OLB straight into Smith’s face.

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We tried to crack em open with a couple PA boots in the first half.  Carolina was sitting on it both times...blitzed the OLB straight into Smith’s face.

Hmmmm ... I wonder how playcalling can get opposing defenses to respect us a little more so we can get Alex out on those boots.

Quick sketch of thoughts on the game while I eat my apple.

1. A great win. In 3 games we have faced Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Cam Newton. we've won 2 out of 3,, so no matter how it is sliced and diced, that can't be ignored.

2. Interior OL is bad at pass protection. And because of it, the rest of the OL is playing badly,, Trent is giving pressure more than I've seen.. Moses is getting beat. I know no one  likes Lauvao, but he's really not that bad, and i was somewhat surprised he was active but didn't play yesterday.

3. Petersen is a warrior, but i do not know how long this is going to last. He's beat up, and the week 4 bye makes it worse. he is going to have to heal multiple bad injuries while playing, so.. Kapri Bibbs best learn fast. 

4. Smith seems to be making young QB errors.. the pressure gets to him, he loses poise, he's not rolling out of it, he's not feeling it and working it to find ways to create some space. He is only in his fifth game in the offense and learning these teammates, so i am not going to worry too much about it. Give him mor time, that'll help him more than anything.

5. special Teams balled out. Forced a fumble, good kick coverages, Hopkins leg is a cannon. I LOVE It. special teams can set tone and flip a game, and they did. The fumble was a HUGE play. That fires up EVERYONE.

6. Defensively, we're stuffing the run. That was the #1 rushing team with the NFL's leading rusher, and crushed it. That said, there is room for improvement.. Zach Brown, is he still hurt? He seems to be missing plays he would have smoked last year. He's not attacking the line well at all, he is seemingly caught out of position a lot.

7. Pass defense.. looked better.. Norman had a terrific game, he really is good at the fumble punch. That was a massive play. it's good to see.. we know he can play, even if he's overpaid.. play like he's capable, and yesterday for whatever reason, he did. There was more communication on the field, they did not seem to be lost. Pass rush still isn't getting home from the outside, although Kerrigan looked to me to be playing like he heard the rumblings last week.
Why on earth we like to let teams march down the field when they need a score is a mystery,, i get that you don't want to let a man get behind you, but letting them get ten yards and work the sidelines all drive long is just as bad, and results in another end of game back-to-the-goal-line scenario in which one tiny error can lose everything.

8. I liked what i saw out of the WRs for as limited as they were able to be effective..  Doctson played through the pain and made a couple of tough catches.. I've had a small tear in my plantar fascia, and it friggin' HURTS. It's not so painful walking or even running carefully, but cutting, changing direction, oh man, THAT hurts. If that is what is up with him, i can understand, and he was tougher yesterday. 
I want them to work Floyd in more. He does have talent, and if he's hungry to prove it, we might have a gem there.

Richardson I really like, he has some flash about him. He can make tough plays and spectacular catches. Good attitude.
i liked seeing Vernon Davis worked a bit more,, I think he's an untapped resource while Smith acclimates, but holy smokes, he couldn't block my mom. Reed is Reed and if he's healthy, work him harder. 

apple done, back to work.

~Bang

5 minutes ago, Bang said:

5. special Teams balled out. Forced a fumble, good kick coverages, Hopkins leg is a cannon. I LOVE It. special teams can set tone and flip a game, and they did. The fumble was a HUGE play. That fires up EVERYONE.

Probably the most understated point in all outlets.  When’s the last time the Skins special teams were an overall positive on the outcome of a game?  Need more of that.

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Yeah, I wanted to keep Kirk badly, but saying that, I certainly don't think he was "deserving" of the elite money he was demanding. It was obvious the powers-that-be had screwed up the whole thing a couple years ago and that it wouldn't happen, so I was ready to begrudgingly welcome this "upgrade" and, as our idiot owner said, "breath of fresh air" in the form of Alex Smith.

Both Cousins and Smith going to new teams and picking up new systems. 

Here's how things are looking at this point in the season. 

PASSING YARDS

Cousins - 4th

Smith - 23rd

COMPLETIONS

Cousins - 2nd

Smith - 21st

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE

Cousins - 11th

Smith - 26th

YARDS

Cousins - 4th

Smith - 23rd

TDs
Cousins - 8th

Smith - 26th

RATING

Cousins - 14th

Smith - 26th

Upgrade? Breath of fresh air? 

image.png.99526dbbba63685c366de76fb0a528be.png

Alex didn't FU in the LAST needed drive to make Carolina HAVE to score a TD. THAT is the difference..screw the stats

12 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Alex didn't FU in the LAST needed drive to make Carolina HAVE to score a TD. THAT is the difference..screw the stats

I want Alex Smith to work out, believe me. But that final offensive drive went exactly the way many just like that have gone since Gruden has been here. Even as we got into FG range and drove inside the 20, I just didn't see any way we'd get a TD and end the game. But, I can't remember many times when Cousins didn't get us a FG himself in similar situations. I'm sure, over 3+ seasons of games, he turned the ball over a couple/few times in those situations. But I could have been watching the 2015, 2016, or 2017 Redskins there down the stretch. In fact, for all the **** we give Cousins, the grounding play at the end of the half was almost exactly out of the NO game last year. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

What's scary is the guy is close to being on pace for a 4000 yard passing season, too. Kirk threw for 4093 last year. 

I really don't think you can fairly compare numbers of this year compared to last. It's a completely different league this year. Gone completely in favour of offense. Smith should be bettering Kirk's numbers of last year really.

I think the results of this year - possibly more than last - really do show a weakness in Jay. I think he is a very good offensive co-ordinator and can put a plan together beautifully (hense the fast starts)  but is not a great play caller who can adapt quickly to change - Maybe it is too much going on to assimulate and most head coaches don't really call the plays for that reason. I think Matt Patricca for the lions is also going to fall foul of that because the few lions games i have been watching you see him with his back to the action when on offense getting too involved with the issues on D. 

If i was Jay i might be looking at getting someone else to be doing the gameday play calling - Maybe get Wes Philips more involved ... 

Anyway hope all the doom and gloom merchants from last week have got a grip. We're more than alive this year in the weakest division in football.

We don't play one team with a winning record the rest of the way.

Cowboys, Eagles, Titans, Texans and Jaguars are .500

Giants, Bucs and falcons are all under .500

It's there for the taking. We just need to learn to put more than one good performance in a row together. 

Archived