Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think it would be a mistake to think we know the exact power dynamics inside the FO

I agree we're most likely screwed though.

Agree on both accounts. It won't be long before Smith is phased out for being too good at his job. It's the MO of this FO.

At least we aren't interested in DK Mamula.

Turned on 980 to hear Keim on Walker's show. I'm embarrassed.  Wanted to hear Keim talk about what the Skins could/should do. Draft stuff.

He's basically teaching Doc on what's been happening in the NFL the past handle of years. Constantly correcting Doc on things he's getting wrong. Who has been good. Who hasn't. Doc has to say "in my mind" to respond to the corrections because it's just not true.

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Has the FO been that bad? 

Allen

Scherff

Payne

ect....

Problem isn’t the FO

Its the scheme. I’m a true believer of this. 

Throw in injury’s to the mix. 

1st Jones

2nd Wr

3rd oline 

Best avail in 2-7 

This is how I think they go

4 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

Has it been that bad? 

Allen

Scherff

Payne

ect....

Problem isn’t the FO

Oh I think most of our coaches are **** too--problem is no one worth a crap is interested in coming to this circus.

Most people credit Kyle Smith and Scot McCloughan with our draft success. We know what happens to competence around here

1 minute ago, Skinarchy said:

Has it been that bad? 

Allen

Scherff

Payne

ect....

Problem isn’t the FO

Throw in injury’s to the mix. 

B3032C8B-FD5B-4E4A-A428-DDB553B105B6.gif

Problem is the F.O. Payne over Derwin James was a howler, plain and simple. A potential HOF Safety eschewed for a DT force pick out of panic when they're guy was gone supposedly. But it goes beyond that, I'd agree the drafting is improved since the aughts, and leaps and bounds better than the lost decade of drafts that caused the entire franchise to crater (1988-1998) and the run to collapse for once and for all. However the F.O. is a mess in design and execution, the handling of McCloughan was an embarrassment, the handling of Cousins was an embarrassment, the twin public relations moves of Alex Smith and The Replacements Rings was an obvious attempt to change the media narrative and end the "This franchise is incompetent narrative," and of course it didn't. We have guys in place because they're family heirlooms (Bruce), pieces of the long gone glorious history (Doug Williams) and coaches in place quite possibly because we could run into another Zorn situation which would be a humiliating situation (Gruden). 

To suggest the F.O. isn't a part of the problem is just a ridiculous. If you like some of the men in charge below Allen, the best I can say is that they seem either competent or close to it (Drafts are reasonable enough, FA player acquisition isn't a total embarrassment, cap management is better). But the guys at the top are essentially the Three Stooges at best, and probably worse, as at least the Three Stooges were successful in their occupations. 

10 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Turned on 980 to hear Keim on Walker's show. I'm embarrassed.  Wanted to hear Keim talk about what the Skins could/should do. Draft stuff.

He's basically teaching Doc on what's been happening in the NFL the past handle of years. Constantly correcting Doc on things he's getting wrong. Who has been good. Who hasn't. Doc has to say "in my mind" to respond to the corrections because it's just not true.

I've long thought that American  football has the dumbest fanbase partially because it has the dumbest sports talk, pre-game, and commentary of any major sport. 75% of all of these guys are from another era, talk in catchphrases, and don't have a clue what they're talking about. That's a low estimate. 

36 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think it would be a mistake to think we know the exact power dynamics inside the FO, going on the word of local beat writers who are more often than not scooped by national people who hang out in CT all day. Remember how long it took us to find out what was going on with Scot McCloughin, and how long he'd been out of the loop it turned out? We thought he had final say for about 10 months longer than he did, if he ever did. These guys are mostly out in the cold. 

I agree we're most likely screwed though.

Sometimes they are right.  Sometimes not.   Agree that they didn't have the Scot story from the start but they did have it months before he was fired. 

The 106.7 guys oddly outscooped everyone including the national reporters on the Scot story.  They are the ones who broke it and hinted at it for awhile before they let loose.  They had the scoop that Doug was going to be who they put out next before everyone else had it, too.  Some of the national guys kept saying the FO will work things out with Kirk contract wise - but the radio guys said their sources are telling them it's not happening.  Russell was saying for awhile before the story broke that Scot didn't have the power.  Brewer for the WP broke the Scot lacks power story too months before Scot was let go. 

The national guys do outscoop the locals sometimes. But not always.  But if we are to buy into the national versus the local as to the draft today it would mean the Redskins are trading up and Dan is driving it and they love Haskins.  The local version of events is indeed Dan loves Haskins but they aren't trading up, if Haskins is there at 15 they take him, otherwise they will try to trade down.

Who knows whose right.  We are about to find out.

I was just listening to Paulsen.  He talked to some in the FO that he knows who basically told him that Dan loves Haskins.   Bruce, too.  The scouts not so much.  People in the FO talked Dan out of trading up.  But they likely concede to Dan if Haskins drops to 15 and take him even though he isn't the choice for other people in the FO.  In addition, Jay isn't a Haskins guy at all would prefer Jones or Lock. 

I 100% believe the Jay isn't a Haskins guy.  It's coming from numerous sources.  But the kicker is Jay pretty much outright said so in an interview weeks back when he touted Lock's NFL readiness over Haskins while saying he wants an NFL ready player.

As for the Dan has a man crush on Haskins.  Just about everyone is saying it both locally or nationally who cover the team.  So it looks that way but obviously we haven't heard Dan himself talk about it.  But the narrative depending on the source seems to be Dan-Bruce-Doug versus the rest of the FO as to who they like at QB.    But there is a chance that the FO guys win out at the end.  I guess will see. 

13 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Problem is the F.O. Payne over Derwin James was a howler, plain and simple. A potential HOF Safety eschewed for a DT force pick out of panic when they're guy was gone supposedly. But it goes beyond that, I'd agree the drafting is improved since the aughts, and leaps and bounds better than the lost decade of drafts that caused the entire franchise to crater (1988-1998) and the run to collapse for once and for all. However the F.O. is a mess in design and execution, the handling of McCloughan was an embarrassment, the handling of Cousins was an embarrassment, the twin public relations moves of Alex Smith and The Replacements Rings was an obvious attempt to change the media narrative and end the "This franchise is incompetent narrative," and of course it didn't. We have guys in place because they're family heirlooms (Bruce), pieces of the long gone glorious history (Doug Williams) and coaches in place quite possibly because we could run into another Zorn situation which would be a humiliating situation (Gruden). 

To suggest the F.O. isn't a part of the problem is just a ridiculous. If you like some of the men in charge below Allen, the best I can say is that they seem either competent or close to it (Drafts are reasonable enough, FA player acquisition isn't a total embarrassment, cap management is better). But the guys at the top are essentially the Three Stooges at best, and probably worse, as at least the Three Stooges were successful in their occupations. 

Well I read your points, and I come up with one answer. 

No way is it even rational to suggest the FO made a mistake with drafting Payne. 

Who knew on draft day how good any wet behind the ears, young player is going to be when mixed with men? 

Yes, we shoulda taken Wilson over rg3???

The FO,  past few draft, haven’t been that bad at all.... 

Mix in getting AP/Foster/Collins

I’m very positive about this season 

9-7 

10-6 

E54DFD0A-D57F-4B4C-9C10-DC7FA51D00DB.jpeg

14 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Problem is the F.O. Payne over Derwin James was a howler, plain and simple. A potential HOF Safety eschewed for a DT force pick out of panic when they're guy was gone supposedly.

I agree with most of your post but this--this is a bit of a hyperbole. A. Calling someone a potential HOF after his rookie year is Colin Cowherd/Skip Bayless level overreaction. After 1 year, RGIII was better than Luck and a superstar. B. You make it sound like Payne sucked. I really like Deron Payne and think, with a better DC, he is an absolute stud.

So let's play the hypothetical game.

Let's say we stick around at #15, and Dwayne Haskins is there, we then draft Haskins.

What would be the next best option on offense to help Haskins adjust to the NFL game?  Going OL next?  TE?  Dynamic YAC type WR?  His guys in college had speed, they weren't guys like JJAW, Harmon, Butler, etc that thrive more in the contested catch realm.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Let's say we stick around at #15, and Dwayne Haskins is there, we then draft Haskins.

What would be the next best option on offense to help Haskins adjust to the NFL game?  Going OL next?  TE?  Dynamic YAC type WR?  His guys in college had speed, they weren't guys like JJAW, Harmon, Butler, etc that thrive more in the contested catch realm.

OL for sure, you have to protect your assets. 

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If Haskins is there at 15 (pipe dream) then I’m all in taking him

2nd Best WR

3rd Best guard

im in the stay off the D in this draft 

Camp.... O all the way! 

1 minute ago, Skinarchy said:

2nd Best WR

I've seen Deebo Samuel and Paris Campbell mocked to us there. I'd be happy with either

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I just want to be able to love again....

Nats...

Caps....

Skins....

DC SPORTS IS BACK BABY!

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I've seen Deebo Samuel and Paris Campbell mocked to us there. I'd be happy with either

To be completely transparent, if I was a betting man (I am) I would say, getting a QB is smoke. I really hope they trade back 

get a

1 WR 

2  OL guard

3 Edge

3 OL 

Pick up a 4...WR (raw with huge upside)

We need OL because our strength is going to be running the ball. 

This is why I like Jones so much

Any nfl QB can hand off the ball..

We aren’t going to have a top 10 WR group.

We really don’t need a big arm QB Average is okay.

Skins need a fast twitch/accurate,smart QB.  

The OCord’ needs to get some imagination, and start using Thompson more. 

When healthy 

Thompson

Reed

Rich’son

New drafted QB

and Quinn will be a threat. 

Jones skill set matches perfect imho to these players.  

If these reports are true that Dan Snyder has inserted himself into trading up to draft one of these qbs not Kyler Murray, than I will be crying all night long because we will be sucking for a long time.  PLEASE NO TRADE UPS, we need these picks.

I don't understand why people advocate spot targeting. And further, I can't understand why anyone would say we need to stay away from D in this draft.

The defensive side of this draft is freakin' loaded with talent. Absolute monsters. Beyond that, our defense last year was offensive. 

The FO has relied on injury plagued players, on both sides of the ball, for far too long. Most teams, but especially the Redskins, don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which side of the ball to address. You pick the best player.

Maybe that's TJ Hockenson. Maybe that's Montez Sweat. Maybe that's Dwayne Haskins. But forcing your pick to be on one side of the ball or the other, or one position versus another is how you wind up with duds. 

I have to say, I think trading back is a mistake, except for a team rebuilding.

Trading down, you are watering down the talent on your team. Sure "we need so many players" but drafting players that don't end up being good enough to be career NFLers, only makes that worse. Kicking the can down the road by ensuring 7-9 seasons, again and again.

Trading down is a kick in the nuts sometimes, but its better than trading up on a reach - a guy only we wanted.

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I agree with most of your post but this--this is a bit of a hyperbole. A. Calling someone a potential HOF after his rookie year is Colin Cowherd/Skip Bayless level overreaction. After 1 year, RGIII was better than Luck and a superstar. B. You make it sound like Payne sucked. I really like Deron Payne and think, with a better DC, he is an absolute stud.

I wasnt going to address it, but I agree 100%. There were people so upset last year that we passed on Derwin James for Payne, which is insane because Payne was lights out for a rookie. Plus he plays a MUCH more impactful position

Archived