Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Kirven may not be the best complement to Foster & Collins, but that’s a nice draft.

The ILB pick is a crap shoot. I like the speed kirven brings. I could see us going with Tre Lamar or someone else, like that dude from MD here as well. This ones a difficult pick for me. But I think speed at the LB position is paramount see as how stout our DL is. Kirven definitely has that. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Been listening-watching everything I can today.  Getting no work done.   😧  Piecing together different narratives if true.

A. Kyle Smith, Jay and others don't want to take a QB.  They want to trade down and address needs

B.  Dan-Bruce maybe Doug, too really really love Dwayne Haskins.

C.  Jay, Kyle and scouts there really don't love Haskins

D.  Jay, Kyle go if we have to go QB lets go Jones not Haskins.

Some insiders like Sheehan and Finlay (though Finlay today seems to have jumped to Jones) think they'd rather go Lock but more noise around Jones. 

The name that's been the quietest is Lock. 

In this game of smoke and mirrors, that should tell us all something about one of the QBs the team covets.

Doesn't mean we go Lock. But just something to keep in mind.

5 minutes ago, Skins Skeptic said:

So Russini has sources saying the Skins want to trade up for Haskins and Jones. I interpret that as the Skins trying to get the Giants to pick Haskins or Jones at 6.

If we're on a first round QB, I hope it's Lock. 

Do we have to trade up to get Jones? 

I was thinking trade down a few spots if we can and get him. But he might be a shooting star in draft day here .....

Here is my wild card, go out on a limb 

pick right here!!!

if the giants go QB it’s Jones

and the skins know it to!

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't understand why people advocate spot targeting. And further, I can't understand why anyone would say we need to stay away from D in this draft.

The defensive side of this draft is freakin' loaded with talent. Absolute monsters. Beyond that, our defense last year was offensive. 

The FO has relied on injury plagued players, on both sides of the ball, for far too long. Most teams, but especially the Redskins, don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which side of the ball to address. You pick the best player.

Maybe that's TJ Hockenson. Maybe that's Montez Sweat. Maybe that's Dwayne Haskins. But forcing your pick to be on one side of the ball or the other, or one position versus another is how you wind up with duds. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The ILB pick is a crap shoot. I like the speed kirven brings. I could see us going with Tre Lamar or someone else, like that dude from MD here as well. This ones a difficult pick for me. But I think speed at the LB position is paramount see as how stout our DL is. Kirven definitely has that. 

Blake Cashman will be the LB we target...guaranteed.  Unless for some reason Mack Wilson falls into the 3rd round.

Cashman is a warrior and he is certainly a character fit.

1 minute ago, Skins Skeptic said:

So Russini has sources saying the Skins want to trade up for Haskins and Jones. I interpret that as the Skins trying to get the Giants to pick Haskins or Jones at 6.

If we're on a first round QB, I hope it's Lock. 

Yeah that's my pet theory too.  They are going out of their way to talk about Haskins and now Jones.  Either the leaks in that building are pretty bad or they are purposely spreading misinformation.     Haskins, Haskins, Jones, Jones, Jones.  Maybe that really means Lock or Rosen or no QB at all in the first.

Why would they be promoting their desires that blatantly? 

I wouldn't put it past Dan to fall in love with what in my mind is the wrong QB for the umpteenth time.  And him and the scouts and the head coach being at odds about it as classic Dan.  Still its hard for me to believe it until it happens. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

There were plenty of people, and if reports are correct that included some Skins FO folks/coaches, who saw the ludicrous talent that Derwin James had and wanted him. I thought there was very little chance that he fell to us and was shocked at how far he fell. I was apoplectic when we picked Payne over him. In retrospect we got lucky that Payne ended up being a very good player (I was very skeptical about his pass rushing ability as he had only shown it for very brief stints but he proved me wrong for the most part), but he simply isn't in the same category of player that James is. Payne is a very good cog in a machine, James is an immediate All-Pro who impacts pretty much every aspect of a defense...he can cover, he can stop the run, he can blitz/pass rush. IMO it was the wrong pick, period. 

My favorite part of this MMQB’ing is wholly ignoring the fact that James slid due to what some teams determined to be a structurally unsound knee. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Any last consensus on Zach Allen, Dre'Mont Jones, or Jerry Tillery?  We didn't get all of the way through the DLs this year.

Personally, I haven't watched any of the three.   I noticed PFF from what I recall is in love with Tillery.   I listened to an interview once with Zach Allen seemed like a really smart-engaging dude.   For what its worth here are McGinn's scouts on them. 

7. JERRY TILLERY, Notre Dame (6-6 ½, 295, 4.98, 1-2): Two inches taller than any of the top 12 players. “He’s really athletic,” said one scout. “Size and length. Pass rusher first. He’s got really good edge quickness and moves. Shows burst to close. Not a gritty run defender at this point.” Underwent surgery in early March to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder. “Had the medical procedure,” said a second scout. “Not a fan of his as a person. Inconsistent as a player, too.” Has studied abroad several times. Both parents are in the medical field. Considered difficult to coach by some scouts. Wonderlic of 31. “He’s so up and down,” said a third scout. “But, man, is he talented.” Finished with 133 tackles (23 for loss) and 12 ½ sacks. Hands (10 5/8) were the largest of the group. Arms were 34 ¼. “I just don’t think he plays hard,” said a fourth scout. “He catches blocks. Looks skinny on the field. Really inconsistent.” From Shreveport, La.

8. DRE’MONT JONES, Ohio State (6-2 ½, 283, 5.15, 1-2): Fourth-year junior. “He’s my underrated guy,” said one scout. “People are missing on him. He’s a really good athlete. Moves really well. Just a nimble, good-effort, disruptive guy.” Had no interest in lifting weights and an ill-defined body when he arrived in Columbus. His 18 reps on the bench were the fewest of the top 15 D-linemen. “He’s not going to be able to hold the point,” said a second scout. “He uses his athleticism to beat the blocker.” Finished with 114 tackles (22 for loss) and 9 ½ sacks. Arms were 33 3/4, hands were 9 5/8. Wonderlic of 20. “He’s quicker than his speed indicates,” a third scout said. “Fundamentally sound. Wins with his initial strike. He jolts you and grabs you and then catapults himself by you. Fairly smooth with his pass rush.” From Cleveland.

9. ZACH ALLEN, Boston College (6-4, 280, 4.97, 1-2): Fourth-year senior, three-year starter. “Kind of just a blue-collar tweener,” said one scout. “Good player, but nothing special.” Finished with 199 tackles (40 ½ for loss) and 16 1/2 sacks. “He’s not going to be a dynamic pass rusher,” said a second scout. “More of a size pass rusher. He can get in passing lanes and overpower some guys. Plays with a high motor.” From New Canaan, Conn. His father works on Wall Street; his mother was a former Dolphins cheerleader. “Between him and (Chase) Winovich, those are the kind of guys you want on your football team,” a third scout said. “But he was awful at the Senior Bowl and didn’t look good at the combine. He’s not a first-round pick. He’s a 4-I or a 5-technique because he can play the double team. He finds the ball. He knows when it’s run and he knows when it’s pass.” Led the position with a Wonderlic of 36. Arms were 34 ¾, hands were 10 1/8. Added a fourth scout: “You know what you’re getting with Zach Allen. He’ll play forever.”

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The name that's been the quietest is Lock. 

In this game of smoke and mirrors, that should tell us all something about one of the QBs the team covets.

Doesn't mean we go Lock. But just something to keep in mind.

Yep same thing I said yesterday.  If it ends up Lock, Keim's sources in particular really clowned him good.  He's the one swearing that they don't like him that much but maybe consider him in a trade down.  Sheehan and Finlay seemed to think they do like him. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Not really one is a bust and the other is getting long in the tooth.

a7b.gif

1 hour ago, MAATopDogg said:

If we go QB with 15 I go with Daniel Jones if he’s there. If not look at Will Grier in the 2nd. I stay far away from Haskins as  his delivery is really slow which creates turnovers and he’s not mobile.

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Give me Khalil Hodge in the 6th or 7th

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

I just love the draft.. 

My Idaho friend, my favorite prospect:

On 4/20/2019 at 10:39 AM, volsmet said:

Kaden Elliss

Son of Luther Elliss, the 20th overall pick in the 1995 (Brian Thure) draft 

Miami seem hot on trading for Rosen. Last 2 years we've been fairly transparent on where our high picks would likely  be going. This year not so. 

All this talk of Haskins and Jones makes me second guess and think it is Lock we want and will potentially jump to #9 to get him if QB is the primary aim.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I theorize that positional needs SO heavily influence BPA, that I think the expression BPA needs to be modernized.  At least with positions such as QB, or bookend LT.

Best Positioneed Available heh

giphy.gif

I think our entire draft plan is dependent upon if Arizona takes Murray. If they decide not to it could indicate that teams aren't too high on this year's crops of QBs and could signal a massive fall for all of them. I personally hope they don't draft one at 15 and if someone like Haskins is there then I'm sure we could trade down with a team that really loves him and get a couple extra picks.

Archived