Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

35 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Folks killing Keim? Wow. He is the best beat guy by a mile and a total class act. Not interested in putting BS out there for clicks.

No. Killing Doc Walker. Keim is educating him on the NFL.

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So let's play the hypothetical game.

Let's say we stick around at #15, and Dwayne Haskins is there, we then draft Haskins.

What would be the next best option on offense to help Haskins adjust to the NFL game?  Going OL next?  TE?  Dynamic YAC type WR?  His guys in college had speed, they weren't guys like JJAW, Harmon, Butler, etc that thrive more in the contested catch realm.

If Haskins is your pick. You still him for 2019 unless injury forces him to play. Yeah, it's a 1st rounder for a guy who isn't going to help right now. But that's a big picture view. I'd actually prefer that for any QB taken in the 1st or 2nd. Not even competing for the job. His role is to practice hard, study hard, and learn. Plus, it gives them another year to fix some OL/WR issues.

Sitting him doesn't mean it would be the same situation as KC. But I think NFL teams need to be more accepting of this idea for most rookie QBs. There is a difference between Peyton Manning (who had to learn through his mistakes) in his 1st year, and most others.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't understand why people advocate spot targeting. And further, I can't understand why anyone would say we need to stay away from D in this draft.

The defensive side of this draft is freakin' loaded with talent. Absolute monsters. Beyond that, our defense last year was offensive. 

The FO has relied on injury plagued players, on both sides of the ball, for far too long. Most teams, but especially the Redskins, don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which side of the ball to address. You pick the best player.

Maybe that's TJ Hockenson. Maybe that's Montez Sweat. Maybe that's Dwayne Haskins. But forcing your pick to be on one side of the ball or the other, or one position versus another is how you wind up with duds. 

We can agree to disagree

With the addition of Collins and Foster 

i think the D is good to roll. Don’t forget free agents....to fill in the reserve rolls.

We need Offense, line and WR 

I’m okay with rolling with 

Colt

Keen’ this season. 

If if we spend this season grooming 

high upside WR and new RB 

and a mauling Left guard. 

The D can be improved 2020. The offense was gross last season less AP 

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have to say, I think trading back is a mistake, except for a team rebuilding.

Trading down, you are watering down the talent on your team. Sure "we need so many players" but drafting players that don't end up being good enough to be career NFLers, only makes that worse. Kicking the can down the road by ensuring 7-9 seasons, again and again.

Trading down is a kick in the nuts sometimes, but its better than trading up on a reach - a guy only we wanted.

I think I agree with this because I think the Redskins actually have a fair number of good players, but are sorely lacking in great players. Our best players: Kerrigan, Allen, Williams, Ionadis are in the good to very good range. We could make a case for Williams being great, but being unable to finish the last two seasons because of injury drops him a bit. Collins and Fosters are both unknowns in this system. We've seen great players come over and find their value drop once here.

I think the Redskins need a few great players. It could be on D, O, or even special teams, but we need someone who threatens the other team.

If there is a trade up I just hope its for Kylar.He would give us a play maker that touches the ball on every snap.P richie if healthy can strecth the field and Jordan if healthy is a go to guy.Not to mention Guice,Peterson and Thompson.We would have an offense that would be competent if healthy.With a much improved defense with Collins and Ferrari Foster.

I dont believe Preston was a big loss and Ryan can step in and atleast be equal.Remember before the injuries we 6-3 and in control of this divison.I am not Bruce to say we a close to Superbowl but with a QB like Kylar I like our chances of winning this division.

The Gaints are far a joke and pose no threat.The Eagles are ok and Carson is on the verge of losing this team.The Cowboys are disaster waiting to happen with all the injuries to key guys all ready (D-Law and B Jones) and contract issues they face (Dak, Amari,Smith and pthers).A guy like Kylar makes us look really good and maybe the favorites to win this division.Please AZ make my night and pass on Kylar.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think I agree with this because I think the Redskins actually have a fair number of good players, but are sorely lacking in great players. Our best players: Kerrigan, Allen, Williams, Ionadis are in the good to very good range. We could make a case for Williams being great, but being unable to finish the last two seasons because of injury drops him a bit. Collins and Fosters are both unknowns in this system. We've seen great players come over and find their value drop once here.

I think the Redskins need a few great players. It could be on D, O, or even special teams, but we need someone who threatens the other team.

Agree except one point, you can’t really say Collins and Foster are more “unknown in this system “ then a stone cold rook’ 

I doubt any of these drafted  players on D bring more to the table then Foster Collins, this season 

15 final thoughts on what could be the wildest NFL Draft in quite some time

1. Kyler Murray will go first overall to Arizona.
  2. The Redskins will not trade up into the Top 3.
  3. The Redskins will not trade up into the Top 5.
  4. Drew Lock will be the next QB off the board.
  5. There could be a Laremy Tunsil type of situation.
  6. Either Miami or Cincinnati will take a quarterback.
  7. Boston College guard Chris Lindstrom goes in the top half of the draft.
  8. Montez Sweat could slide in this draft, and it might not just be about medicals.
  9. The injury issue will impact Rashan Gary.
  10. The Redskins will take a defensive player with the 15th pick.
  11. Nobody knows what the Giants will do, and they like that. 
  12. Four QBs will get drafted in the first round.
  13. Five QBs might get taken in the first round. 
  14. The Redskins will not take a wide receiver in the first round. 
  15. Don't close the door on Josh Rosen landing in the NFC East.

23 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

We really don’t need a big arm QB Average is okay.

Skins need a fast twitch/accurate,smart QB.  

The OCord’ needs to get some imagination, and start using Thompson more. 

When healthy 

Thompson

Reed

Rich’son

New drafted QB

and Quinn will be a threat. 

Jones skill set matches perfect imho to these players.  

I see on TV a lot of comparisons of Daniel Jones to Alex Smith.    And I guess there is some match:  the sneaky athleticism, pedestrian arm strength, the low YPA, and aversion to throwing into tight windows.   But Jones is a turnover guy.  Alex isn't.    Interceptions, sacks, tipped balls, fumbles.    Alex's calling card is he doesn't do turnovers.  Jones has a lot to fix to be the same thing.  I give though Jones is tougher in the pocket than Alex. 

34 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I agree with most of your post but this--this is a bit of a hyperbole. A. Calling someone a potential HOF after his rookie year is Colin Cowherd/Skip Bayless level overreaction. After 1 year, RGIII was better than Luck and a superstar. B. You make it sound like Payne sucked. I really like Deron Payne and think, with a better DC, he is an absolute stud.

Ouch. I agree, for the most part. I do think it's beyond hyperbole, but I also think it's fair to say early trajectory is in that direction. The same way Saquon Barkley already looks like a HOF. A lot has to happen for that award to be his, but right now he's the most productive back we've ever seen as a rookie. James rookie seasons was one of the very best rookie years I've ever seen as a safety, and his evalu suggested he was very much a transformative, franchise changing prospect in the Sean Taylor vein, and that's exactly how he played (I don't mean they're the same guy, just the level of impactfulness and ridiculous talent bleeding off the screen). 

But yes, Canton is many many miles down the road and a lot can happen between now and then to derail that journey. 

1 minute ago, Skinarchy said:

We can agree to disagree

With the addition of Collins and Foster 

i think the D is good to roll. Don’t forget free agents....to fill in the reserve rolls.

Is it, though? How much better is Collins than Swearinger? Better against the run, worse against the pass. Collins is a good addition but fairly lateral. 

Reuben Foster has a significant injury history and has been in trouble far too often in the league. He isn't assured to be healthy. 

What is our depth at ILB like? People like SDH but I'm not sold on him as a starter.

Who's our pass rushers? Kerrigan and... Ryan Anderson? Okay, so Anderson pans out... who spells either one of them?

What about free safety? Glaring issues across the board defensively.

Now let's talk about the O.

LT (Williams is aging), LG, C (Roullier is competent), RT (Moses is a warrior, but paid a lot for how injured he is every season).

Tight End is an issue beyond Reed, but even with Reed who knows about his health.

Quarterback is a question mark.

Receiver is an issue. 

This team (and many teams) have holes across the roster. Spot targeting a position or side of the ball is a good way to miss on a stud just because at the moment you needed something else.

Draft the best player and you avoid some really rough pitfalls.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

At least we aren't interested in DK Mamula.

He is one of 12 official WR prospects that we visited. (with KaVontae Turpin being the unofficial 13th) I think that we are genuinely interested in getting a big bodied, athletic mismatch that can go over the middle and chew up the field on play action go routes. DK is one 2 (imo) top tier options at this position. The other being N'Keal Harry. I know we said we werent interested in him. But I think that is at 15. If we move down, I could see this pick happening.

46 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't understand why people advocate spot targeting...

Maybe we advocate it, because the GMs do it.

Some scenarios.

Get that QB.  When you need a QB, you just need a QB.  A common problem.  You cannot let a position rich draft dictate if you have a QB or not, right? QB is the most important position on a team, and is at the root of spot targeting.  Mike delayed drafting even a QB to develop. Dan was forced to interject. Mike was foolish to blindly draft BPA and ignore the gaping hole on his team. A 5 year rebuild plan, and year 3 was upon him, and he hadn't drafted a single QB.  How did that turn out. It was a train wreck.   

Build the trenches.  Say we neglected the DL forever. Because we did.  Did we do that because the drafts just happen to have better non DL options as our team was on the clock? If so, how many years do you let that happen, sucking with cast off free agents on your DL, killing the team because our D cannot stop the run. 

Tight End is another one, where I think you sometimes have to draft based on need. You only get 3 TEs. One blocks, one has hands, and the other is a hybrid.   Say you need a hands. How many years can a GM ignore that on draft day, 1 maybe 2?  Free Agency is an expensive bandaid.

The key to spot targeting is to not overly REACH on said pick, especially with your best picks where the talent drop from one pick to another, eventually hits a cliff. Reach later in the draft, when there is virtually no signifcant drop in talent pick to pick. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is it, though? How much better is Collins than Swearinger? Better against the run, worse against the pass. Collins is a good addition but fairly lateral. 

Reuben Foster has a significant injury history and has been in trouble far too often in the league. He isn't assured to be healthy. 

What is our depth at ILB like? People like SDH but I'm not sold on him as a starter.

Who's our pass rushers? Kerrigan and... Ryan Anderson? Okay, so Anderson pans out... who spells either one of them?

What about free safety? Glaring issues across the board defensively.

Now let's talk about the O.

LT (Williams is aging), LG, C (Roullier is competent), RT (Moses is a warrior, but paid a lot for how injured he is every season).

Tight End is an issue beyond Reed, but even with Reed who knows about his health.

Quarterback is a question mark.

Receiver is an issue. 

This team (and many teams) have holes across the roster. Spot targeting a position or side of the ball is a good way to miss on a stud just because at the moment you needed something else.

Draft the best player and you avoid some really rough pitfalls.

What it boils down to is: 

Best player avail. Is for rebuilding teams.

i don’t put us in the rebuilding camp, we are a tweener ‘ 

Not quite a playoff team, but close. 

Look simply at O’ production and ranking vs our D. Which is better? 

Fix it the one that needs the most help. 

KISS 

i like  too keep things simple, 

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe we advocate it, because the GMs do it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/25/bruce-arians-if-you-draft-for-need-you-get-fired/

+

https://www.chron.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Bill-Belichick-s-simple-NFL-draft-philosophy-can-12868915.php

I happen to follow closer to the Belichick approach... When I say best player available, I also advocate that your draft board accounts for schematic fit. 

I dont particularly agree with the BPA approach at all times, nor do I buy into the idea that we need to just go BPA at 15 rather than address the top needs. I think that if you have your QB and OL figured out, then you can take that approach. Also, you need to build your team around the strengths of the division. We face 2 of the top 3 backs in the league 4 times per season, and prior to last season we had about the worst rushing defense in the NFL. DL was a need over Safety last year. Payne/Allen/Ion/Settle have solidified our DL for years to come. Provided we draft the right qb this year, we are 1 season from being able to go BPA comfortably.

Standig goes to town on draft stuff here

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/2019-nfl-mock-draft-final-version-sends-dwayne-haskins-redskins

•  I produced 15 mocks in 2019. The breakdown of players I selected at 15: Montez Sweat (6), Brian Burns (4), Devin Bush (3), Clelin Ferrell (1), Dwayne Haskins (1). That's 14 defensive players with 11 edge rushers. The lone offensive player came in the final mock. Why the flip? There's a combination of factors.
  • Among them, the idea of the Redskins regaining off-season champ status gained steam Wednesday with various reports. While I don't buy the idea of the Redskins trading up in any significant way, I do believe there's a good chance either Haskins or Drew Lock slips to 15 if the Broncos (10) or Bengals (11) pass on a quarterback. At that point, it's not hard imagining the bigger picture winning a tiebreaker between a passer and a pass rusher like Brian Burns, who was my selection in four of the five previous mocks.
  •  
  • One source told NBC Sports Washington that the Redskins have spoken with teams in the top 10 about moving up. Not really buying that, however. The Redskins have numerous needs and need all the draft capital possible. There is a good chance one of the top four quarterbacks is available at 15. There's been reported and sourced mentions of interest in Haskins and Jones. I haven't heard much if anything about Lock to Washington.
  •  
  • It's worth noting that the interest in West Virginia quarterback Will Grier existed at least as of Monday, according to sources. If the Redskins wait, he could be a target.
  •  
  • Skipping a pass rusher at 15 is risky because of the limited options on Day 2 and beyond. Michigan's  Chase Winovich and Georgia's D'Andre Walker are Day 2 options.
  •  
  • While I firmly believe the Redskins must add pass rush help and believe they think the same, I went with a red-zone receiving threat in the second. Arcega-Whiteside offers good size and a go-to target around the goal line. It's possible he slips beyond 46 and into the third based on some league sources, but the Redskins need his element. Paul Richardson (fractured clavicle), I'm told, might not even be ready for the start of training camp and it's not like this group is loaded with proven pieces.
  •  
  • The buzz with Josh Rosen remains quiet for now, but surely roars should the Cardinals select, as long-rumored, Kyler Murray.  If a trade occurs look for teams in 22-32 range to make a move on Rosen's cheap contract. One source thinks the Patriots get interested and use the 32nd overall pick.
  • Maryland safety Darnell Savage Jr. lands in round one. At least that's where the momentum is. He is expected to be an option for the Redskins if they trade down from 15. The Colts, Patriots, Chargers and Raiders are other likely landing spots late in the first.

I'm a BPA advocate, but I do believe in the sliding scale. If the best player available is a punter which you've rated at 93 and the second best player is a wide receiver who you rated at 89... I probably tilt to the receiver because of the position.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm a BPA advocate, but I do believe in the sliding scale. If the best player available is a punter which you've rated at 93 and the second best player is a wide receiver who you rated at 89... I probably tilt to the receiver because of the position.

BPA is typically conducted based on a weighted scale. Need is absolutely factored in. As is hit rates within specific rounds. As is position importance. That's why a QB who may only be in the top 30 overall sometimes falls in the top 5. Initial grades can be schematic fit + talent or just pure talent. 

BPA is never just "take the best player". 

I think that's sometimes lost in these discussions.

If we can somehow get Burns or Bush and Savage early, I would be psyched.  We need speed on both sides of the ball. Especially defense.

I would be hard pressed to choose between both Hollywood and Savage, although I think its close to impossible to get either of those in the second.  I would be willing to trade back up to snag either of those after selecting BPA at 15 (Hock, Burns, Bush in that order.)

Mid rounders I am interested in: Bryce Love, Oshane Ximines, Nate Herbig. 

I Love Bryce as a "weapon," not a RB.  If he comes back from his injury strong, he could help on ST and O.  SPEED IS NEEDED.

*For those who want a peek at who is likely to land in DC*

Ive bolded who I think we are targetting most

Redskins 2019 NFL Draft Prospect Visits:

QB:

Ryan Finley^, QB, N.C. State (COM, PRI)

Will Grier^, QB, West Virginia (COM, PRO, PRI)

Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State (PRI)

Daniel Jones^, QB, Duke (COM, PRI)
Drew Lock^, QB, Missouri (PRO, PRI)

Jarrett Stidham^, QB, Auburn (COM, PRI)

Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern (PRI)

Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma (PRI)

WR:

A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss (PRI)

Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State (PRI)

Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (PRI)

Davion Davis, WR, Sam Houston State (WOR)

Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)

Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)

David Blough, QB, Purdue (EW)

Travis Fulgham, WR, Old Dominion (LOC)

Kelvin Harmon, WR, N.C. State (COM)

Jesper Horstead, WR, Princeton (EW)

KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss (COM)

David Sills, WR, West Virginia (SR)

Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (COM)

Terry Wright, WR, Purdue (EW)

Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)

KaVontae Turpin, WR, TCU (PRI)

Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville (SR)

RB:

Jordan Ellis, RB, Virginia (EW)

OL:

Nate Davis, OT, Charlotte (PRI)

Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (PRI)

Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma (COM)

Tytus Howard^, OT, Alabama State (SR, PRI)

Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington (PRI)

Nick Linder, C, Indiana (EW)

Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (PRI)

Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)

Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego State (PRO)

Dalton Risner^, OT, Kansas State (SR, PRI)

Tyler Roemer, OT, San Diego State (PRO)

Dru Samia, G, Oklahoma (SR)

Chuma Edoga, OT, USC (SR)

Brandon Murphy, OT, Memphis (WOR)

TE:

Foster Moreau, TE, LSU (SR)

Trevon Wesco, FB, West Virginia (SR)

DL:

Adrian Middleton, DT, Kentucky (WOR)

Renell Wren, DT/3-4DE, Arizona State (SR)

Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (EW)

Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)

EDGE:

Jesse Aniebonam, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Maryland (PRI)

Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)

Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia (EW)

Carl Granderson, DE/3-4OLB, Wyoming (SR)

ILB:

Blake Cashman^, ILB, Minnesota (COM, PRI)

Tre Watson, ILB, Maryland (EW)

Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama (PRI)

Darius Harris, ILB, Middle Tennessee (PRI)

DB:

Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple (SR)

S:

Darnell Savage, S, Maryland (PRO)

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

BPA is typically conducted based on a weighted scale. Need is absolutely factored in. As is hit rates within specific rounds. As is position importance. That's why a QB who may only be in the top 30 overall sometimes falls in the top 5. Initial grades can be schematic fit + talent or just pure talent. 

BPA is never just "take the best player". 

I think that's sometimes lost in these discussions.

This! I think  many people do not understand BPA. As you say, it's never just the best player on the board, not to mention one teams BPA as any given time is very likely to be completely different than other teams. 

So when someone says - They should have taken XXX, he was the best player left", ignores that the teams board may have someone completely different based on scheme fit, overall need, what the rest of the draft looks like (do I draft X position now because I can't see me getting an impact player at this position later where other positions of need are deep, internal evaluations and interviews which may have been different. There are also considerations like where is my CAP and who do I need to sign and is better to replace them now as opposed to being forced to. etc.

There are so many different pieces of information that make up a teams board - just saying BPA ignores that what a fan or one of the pundits think is BPA could not be in the teams top 15 for reasons that only they are aware of or need to consider. 

Archived