Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I have such a hard time constructing a scene in my mind where Jay and the scouts are watching film of Daniel Jones and they say "YES, that's the guy!"

It just doesn't compute at all.

It feels like listening to everyone and at this point tough for me to recall who said what that Jay's main position is no QBs at 15.  Kyle too.  But the only one that dived into Kyle's part of this was Keim and just a tad

So the main debate is draft a QB or not.

Then if it turns that someone there is pushing them to take a QB period then Jay and I gather maybe Kyle are saying not Haskins.  Keim thinks the dude then is Jones and the national reporters seem to agree.  Finlay and Sheehan think its Lock.

But yeah Jones to me doesn't seem to be Jay's kind of guy.  Jones is the opposite of a gun slinger.   Supposedly Jay didn't think Kirk or Alex took enough risks and he's going to dive into someone even more conservative than them?    Cooley would in particular have Jay all wrong as for what he likes.  He contends from talking to him he gathered he likes a QB with some moxie both as a player and as a personality.  And as Hoffman said once, Jones is negative moxie.

To me the biggest misperception of Jones is the thought that since the dude is conservative he's really good at protecting the ball.  But the funny thing is he isn't.  He gets sacked a lot.  He has his share of tipped balls.  He has his share of interceptions.  He led the eligible QBs in fumbles.  The dude is both conservative and turnover prone.  Yeah the two variables typically don't go hand in hand.   But it has gone hand in hand in his college career. 

I still think it's a smokescreen. 

The fact that the "trained with the Mannings and their guru" thing is still working on some people is astonishing. If that was such an advantage and they picked him out of the crowd bc he's special...don't you think he'd be better already?? When the biggest talking point about a guy is the better players he trains with...rethink it imo. Reminds me of Hackenburg. 

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Problem is, that's about the only thing that even somewhat stands out about Jones. Everything else is completely "meh". What's the point of a QB being very composed in the pocket in the face of pressure if he isn't all that good at actually being a QB? 

In real life, Lock takes care of the ball better than Jones. 

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Ol ... without a close 2nd.

I completely agree that shoring up LG to try to prevent/limit the quick pressure up the middle on Haskins would be paramount.  With that said, Haskins obviously can make use of, or even needs, a speedier/separation type of receiver.  

Ironically, last year I really liked Parris Campbell, but this year, I think we can do better - Harry, AJ Brown, maybe Samuel/Butler/Isabella.  Were we to have Haskins in the fold though, maybe Campbell is the better bet.  

We damn well better wind up with a guard in the 3rd though (and another later) in that scenario.  

On a related note - were we to wind up with Grier (I know you’d puke, and frankly, I’ve started to tilt a bit more your direction, though I still like him), I hope we draft Sills or Jennings.  

12 minutes ago, Skins Skeptic said:

I feel like Sheehan's sources are Cooley, Cooley and Cooley, but I think Dan loves him some Cooley.

Could be.  Sheehan has gotten some things right so his sources whether it's Cooley or whomever can be on the money.  The cool thing about the QB narrative is really each beat guy has a slightly different narrative so its a good shot to see whose sources end up better. 

31 minutes ago, Skins Skeptic said:

So Russini has sources saying the Skins want to trade up for Haskins and Jones. I interpret that as the Skins trying to get the Giants to pick Haskins or Jones at 6.

So Google says Gal Gadot has a husband. I interpret that as her just waiting for the signal from me to get a divorce and move in. 

27 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The ILB pick is a crap shoot. I like the speed kirven brings. I could see us going with Tre Lamar or someone else, like that dude from MD here as well. This ones a difficult pick for me. But I think speed at the LB position is paramount see as how stout our DL is. Kirven definitely has that. 

I’m inclined to agree with @volsmeton this one, but I will say that BBK packed on about 8 lbs pre-combine.  I could see him playing ST in year 1 while he works himself closer to the 240 range (if possible).  

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The national and local reporters aren't that far apart on the Qb issue in one sense.  That is, Bruce and Dan (some say Doug, too) love love love Haskins.  The scouts and Jay in that building not so much. Keim in one of his podcast appearance flat out suggested from what he heard Kyle isn't a Haskins guy.  Jay clearly isn't.   He said (among others) if Haskins ends up the guy people in the FO were overridden. 

How much better Lock is than Haskins is substantial.

37 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

I hear ya, but I put much much more weight into:

training

heart

I like Montez Sweat too.

32 minutes ago, Skins Skeptic said:

If we're on a first round QB, I hope it's Lock. 

mashable.com

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think our entire draft plan is dependent upon if Arizona takes Murray. If they decide not to it could indicate that teams aren't too high on this year's crops of QBs and could signal a massive fall for all of them. I personally hope they don't draft one at 15 and if someone like Haskins is there then I'm sure we could trade down with a team that really loves him and get a couple extra picks.

If there's a team that loves Haskins  below us, they'll surely trade with someone else ahead of us to get him with all this smoke out there. Which means if it's our smoke, we're really bad at this. (If we were hoping to use a QB to trade down)

35 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The ILB pick is a crap shoot. I like the speed kirven brings. I could see us going with Tre Lamar or someone else, like that dude from MD here as well. This ones a difficult pick for me. But I think speed at the LB position is paramount see as how stout our DL is. Kirven definitely has that. 

Pratt is also interesting.

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Any last consensus on Zach Allen, Dre'Mont Jones, or Jerry Tillery?  We didn't get all of the way through the DLs this year.

Jones gets washed v the run, he can’t be a 2g dl imo, give me all kinds of Tillery.

34 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

Blake Cashman will be the LB we target...guaranteed.  Unless for some reason Mack Wilson falls into the 3rd round.

Cashman is a warrior and he is certainly a character fit.

tenor.gif?itemid=9432807

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You should have told us that before the homeless clown-faced gimp showed up 😏

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I completely agree that shoring up LG to try to prevent/limit the quick pressure up the middle on Haskins would be paramount.  With that said, Haskins obviously can make use of, or even needs, a speedier/separation type of receiver.  

Ironically, last year I really liked Parris Campbell, but this year, I think we can do better - Harry, AJ Brown, maybe Samuel/Butler/Isabella.  Were we to have Haskins in the fold though, maybe Campbell is the better bet.  

We damn well better wind up with a guard in the 3rd though (and another later) in that scenario.  

On a related note - were we to wind up with Grier (I know you’d puke, and frankly, I’ve started to tilt a bit more your direction, though I still like him), I hope we draft Sills or Jennings.  

I love Campbell, but if we draft Haskins protecting the middle of the line is priority 1-100. He can’t succeed without it, protect him & coach him up.

28 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I love Tre Watson, he's a grown man.  I think he'd be a nice bargain in a late round.  But my favorite ILB prospect in the class is Te'Von Coney.  He was the leader of a badass defense in Notre Dame.  Very instinctive and physical and much more athletic than people expect.  He reaches that outside hip and the runner just stops cold.  He's got a reputation for being trash in coverage, but he got way, way better this season and he can hold up in zone because he's really smart and long armed.  The hip flexibility isn't very good, but he copes by being patient and staying in position and vacating his gap early in order to get to the right hole.  His take-on strength is excellent and he can stun a climbing guard with long arms and a hard blow.

His tape shows good, clean, physical, classic MIKE linebacker play.  If we could snag him in like the 5th round, that would be awesome.  I'd even take him with one of our thirds.  He's good enough to become a starter.

21 minutes ago, volsmet said:

In real life, Lock takes care of the ball better than Jones. 

Agreed. One thing I made sure to watch for when I went through Jones's cutups was batted balls. He had a really high number of them, despite being ****ing 6'5. The biggest driver for that that I found was his propensity to sometimes stare down his first reads bad. Like, really bad. There was one INT where he was literally looking right at the guy for about 4-5 seconds before finally letting it fly. DB saw it coming the whole time and was just sitting on it, waiting. 

Just turned on ESPN, funny how Dianne Russini puts it Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen want Dwayne Haskins. Then says others in the building want Daniel Jones.  But at least she's off the train of them wanting to trade up.  She is saying now they want them to fall to #15.  If you buy recent mocks, the odds either fall, Lock too are pretty good.  Will see.   

Schefter now saying too they aren't trading up.  And they are waiting for Haskins or Jones to fall to 15.  If that's really true, I know what am rooting for to happen in picks 1-14. 😀  

23 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Pratt is also interesting.

Absolutely. I have him as the 3rd best ilb behind Devin and Mack Wilson. Everyone else is a big step behind those 3 imo. Earlier on in my mocks I had us going with Pratt with our high 3rd! The issue is I think we try and fill the Wr/Qb/S spots with out premium picks, and address the OL with our high 3rd instead. 

If any of Tytus Howard, McCoy, or Jenkins are there, we have to take them. Otherwise, yea I’m down for Pratt. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you buy recent mocks, the odds either fall, Lock too are pretty good. 

I absolutely know nothing about what is real, but the hype around Lock at the Senior Bowl was real. I'm not sure I believe anything else that has been said since, but he blew at least some people away. I really think he's going higher than people are talking about now. Wouldn't be shocked if he goes top 5 when all is said and done.

25 minutes ago, volsmet said:

How much better Lock is than Haskins is substantial.

I like Montez Sweat too.

mashable.com

I ask this because you seem to be a Vols fan. I'm a Game****. I cannot understand the love for Lock. He is GOD AWFUL against every halfway decent team that isn't Georgia. Turnover prone, anti-clutch, completely loses defenders, misses open guys. Consistently, across his entire career. Look at his statistical breakdown. Did he just show out against UT over the years and I missed it?

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love Tre Watson, he's a grown man.  I think he'd be a nice bargain in a late round.  But my favorite ILB prospect in the class is Te'Von Coney.  He was the leader of a badass defense in Notre Dame.  Very instinctive and physical and much more athletic than people expect.  He reaches that outside hip and the runner just stops cold.  He's got a reputation for being trash in coverage, but he got way, way better this season and he can hold up in zone because he's really smart and long armed.  The hip flexibility isn't very good, but he copes by being patient and staying in position and vacating his gap early in order to get to the right hole.  His take-on strength is excellent and he can stun a climbing guard with long arms and a hard blow.

His tape shows good, clean, physical, classic MIKE linebacker play.  If we could snag him in like the 5th round, that would be awesome.  I'd even take him with one of our thirds.  He's good enough to become a starter.

I think Te’Von brings too many similarities to Mason Foster honestly. Id rather see us going with speed or athleticism in the middle because we run the nickel so often. Pratt/Hodge/Kirven/Watson would all be good options. 

Archived