Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

11 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It’s so refreshing to hear that Dan Snyder is taking control of the war room in the first round.  I mean, it’s obvious to anyone who knows anything about anything, that this is bound to end very very well for the Skins!!!

HAHA

We keep laughing since its our best medicine, but he may actually do better than Bruce.  Which cannot be tough, as Bruce was the lowest ranked returning GM from the previous season.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Based on the list of prospect visits I am fairly confident our priorities are:

QB: Targeted

OL: BPA

RB: BPA

TE: Targeted

WR: Targeted

EDGE: BPA

DL: BPA

LB: BPA

DB: BPA

S: Targeted

As for my bold predictions:

Darnell Savage, Trevon Wesco, and Kavontae Turpin are my locks to be in Skin's gear.

Savage: The Ryan Clark to Collins. We are going to make a trade to draft this guy.

Wesco: 2nd most versatile TE in the draft

Turpin: charges were dropped, is a low risk pick, fills a need at KR/PR, and is elite with the ball in his hands. We are also one of 4 teams that looked at him.

One of Haskins or Grier will be a Redskin

DK Metcalf, Paris Campbell, Deebo Samuel, or AJ Brown will be a Redskin.

Unless I'm mistaken, I can't recall any strong correlation between visits and actual draft selections. Honestly I think it's just used to cross T's and dot I's, and also to camouflage intent. Am I forgetting incidents in which we did draft a lot of "visit" players? I can't recall that happening at any rate beyond typical randomness. 

I do think it's pretty clear QB, TE, WR, OL will be a priority, along with S, CB, ILB and Edge, and that's pretty much everything, so there's not a lot of clarity in any of it as far as I can see.

Definitely sounds like we'll target WR on day 1 or 2 if we don't lose a pick via a trade up, and even possibly if we do. 

Also always worth noting that day 3 picks tend to be used, as much as possible, on guys that can contribute on ST's, its generally the surest route to making a roster if you're a borderline player (it's why ESB was such a doofus to say he wouldn't play on ST's last year, that quote is probably why he dropped from a late day 2 to early day 3 guy, to an almost fall out of the draft entirely guy). 

3 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Every mock out there seems to have Lock available at 15. I don't think this has always been the case.

I don’t know if I could handle passing on Lock a year after passing on Derwin. I’m too old for this 🤫.

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There were plenty of people, and if reports are correct that included some Skins FO folks/coaches, who saw the ludicrous talent that Derwin James had and wanted him. I thought there was very little chance that he fell to us and was shocked at how far he fell. I was apoplectic when we picked Payne over him. In retrospect we got lucky that Payne ended up being a very good player (I was very skeptical about his pass rushing ability as he had only shown it for very brief stints but he proved me wrong for the most part), but he simply isn't in the same category of player that James is. Payne is a very good cog in a machine, James is an immediate All-Pro who impacts pretty much every aspect of a defense...he can cover, he can stop the run, he can blitz/pass rush. IMO it was the wrong pick, period. 

@Skinarchy I agree with much of the statement above - although I would not have called myself apoplectic over Payne 🙂   I too saw James as a much better pick due to talent and position. I like Payne but at least on film he got stood up too much which negated his good jump off the snap. But he took coaching and improved his pass rush. 

However, I also agree with you that putting James in the HOF is at the very least pre-mature. It's exactly year two for both these guys. 

But the part being missed here is more to do with the FO overall approach and what led thme to taking Payne. They went into the draft deciding they needed Dline at all cost. They clearly had 2 guys at the top - Vita Vea and Payne (I actually thought/still think that Payne is long term a better prospect than Vea but I am probably in the minority). Since they did nothing to address the position before the draft they had to get an impact player at DLine meaning they had to use their 1st rd pick. Had they signed one of the FA DTs available, they would have had a choice, and not had to take the panic pick of Payne. They were still above to get Tim Settle (although I am not sure how he lasted that long) For me, James/Settle > Payne/Settle and you address an additional position of need. 

This relates to this years draft too which is why I bring it up. We all know LG is a huge position of need. So is QB. But this year they brought in Keenum and Flowers. Are they the long term answers? No, but it does give them some flexibility and keeps them form having to go QB or LG in the 1st rd. So if a truly elite player falls to them due to QBs being taken early, they can take them. Say a TJ Hockenson drops unexpectedly they can take him and look LG in the 2nd rd. (people can say all they want he "never" drops but stuff like this happens in every draft - see Jonathan Allen). That's just one example. 

I am not a fan of this FO but I have to give them credit that at least they are making slightly better decisions. It's taking entirely too long to get there, but they are making some small improvements - well at least until they trade half their picks to move up and take Lock at 3 - 😱

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I have a full 3-round mock written out, because im a maniac and had some free time at work. Will maybe post it later, as I left that spreadsheet at work like a chump. Was thinking about starting a thread with a point system to anyone that wanted to take a stab at it. Probably a little late for that though. Anyways, here are my predictions for the Skins this draft:

#23 DK Metcalf, WR (from Houston)

#38 Darnell Savage S (from Jacksonville: includes #55 from Houston and future pick)

#46: Will Grier, QB

#76: Elgton Jenkins, C/G

#96: Maxx Crosby, EDGE

#153: Ben Burr Kirven, LB

#173: Trevon Wesco, TE

#206: Justice Hill, RB

#227: Hjalte Froholdt, OL

#253: KaVontae Turpin, WR

Kirven may not be the best complement to Foster & Collins, but that’s a nice draft.

24 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

Do you really think a guy that can afford this, is dumb enough to take control of this draft? Little far fetched,  to say the least...

BCCBAAEB-ECE2-462E-BDB5-288CBB2463DF.jpeg

He can afford that because Jack Kent Cooke built the stadium his garbage teams have played in and he's trying to swindle Northern Virginia for the funds to build an aircraft carrie...errr a Stadium. Don't do it folks. Maybe we can get him to move the team, and get a new owner, Cleveland style. It only took them 20 years to figure it out after all. 

Count me in as a fan of devin bush. Dude is going to be a monster. 

I also want darnell savage on the team. Fast, versatile, aggressive, and plays larger than his size. All traits I want from someone in the secondary. 

It seems both of these guys have been flying up draft boards though.

I like hock a lot but TE is so strong this year that if we have an elite player also at number 15, I think we'd be better off choosing that person and selecting a TE in the 3rd round or so. 

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Problem is the F.O. Payne over Derwin James was a howler, plain and simple. A potential HOF Safety eschewed for a DT force pick out of panic when they're guy was gone supposedly. But it goes beyond that, I'd agree the drafting is improved since the aughts, and leaps and bounds better than the lost decade of drafts that caused the entire franchise to crater (1988-1998) and the run to collapse for once and for all. However the F.O. is a mess in design and execution, the handling of McCloughan was an embarrassment, the handling of Cousins was an embarrassment, the twin public relations moves of Alex Smith and The Replacements Rings was an obvious attempt to change the media narrative and end the "This franchise is incompetent narrative," and of course it didn't. We have guys in place because they're family heirlooms (Bruce), pieces of the long gone glorious history (Doug Williams) and coaches in place quite possibly because we could run into another Zorn situation which would be a humiliating situation (Gruden). 

To suggest the F.O. isn't a part of the problem is just a ridiculous. If you like some of the men in charge below Allen, the best I can say is that they seem either competent or close to it (Drafts are reasonable enough, FA player acquisition isn't a total embarrassment, cap management is better). But the guys at the top are essentially the Three Stooges at best, and probably worse, as at least the Three Stooges were successful in their occupations. 

200.gif

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

They clearly had 2 guys at the top - Vita Vea and Payne (I actually thought/still think that Payne is long term a better prospect than Vea but I am probably in the minority).

Oh I was super happy when Vea was picked before us. I didn't like him much as a prospect and thought he was going to be a bust. I still think so.

The national and local reporters aren't that far apart on the Qb issue in one sense.  That is, Bruce and Dan (some say Doug, too) love love love Haskins.  The scouts and Jay in that building not so much. Keim in one of his podcast appearance flat out suggested from what he heard Kyle isn't a Haskins guy.  Jay clearly isn't.   He said (among others) if Haskins ends up the guy people in the FO were overridden. 

However, the difference between the local and national guys is big in a sense too.  The national guys say Dan wants to trade up.  The beat guys say that the scouts-FO people have convinced Dan to stay put.   Forgot which beat guy said it but one thought they might have made a concession to Dan-Bruce that they'd take Haskins if he falls to 15 but not if they trade up.   And some think they don't take a QB at all.  In other words, Dan might have an opinion but it doesn't mean its anything more than that and the football guys win out.

As for the Haskins-Jones stuff.  I got three theories

A.  Pure smoke screen

B.  Bruce does reads the FO thread here and is exacting revenge on me for all the mean things I said about him.  This Jones-Haskins debate is the perfect way to do it.

C.  They actually mean it. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Problem is, that's about the only thing that even somewhat stands out about Jones. Everything else is completely "meh". What's the point of a QB being very composed in the pocket in the face of pressure if he isn't all that good at actually being a QB? 

I hear ya, but I put much much more weight into:

training

heart

football smarts

character

Example: His coach worked with Manning’s 

He went and worked with Mannings

Shows me he is making an effort to improve, and has the smarts to get around the right guys.

if a QB is squishy in the pocket, it’s a heart thing. 

If a QB has been told from pony football how great he is, it’s a ego thing. Meaning 

he gets his check, becomes a star, and promptly gets ripe, and falls off the tree. 

Rg3? Ego screwed him, big shot head. 

Look at Russell Wilson, stayed focused, had something to prove, and did! 

I see the thing in Jones. I don’t see him as the star type, and will continue to improve over the years. If that’s not true, i doubt very much Manning’s would have anything to do with him early on....he’s the best QB in this draft for those reasons. 

Imho

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I hope the cameras are fixed on our warroom when we are on the board, so we can witness the chaos in it's 11th and most desperate hour, with a DanTheGMCam in a PIP.  #FlipFlop.

The irony is we are one of the only teams not to have a camera from the NFL Network in the war room.  If I recall 22 teams are something like that will have cameras there.   I gather Bruce didn't want the world to see how they do their magic. 😀

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows whose right. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12075852

3 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

Well I read your points, and I come up with one answer. 

No way is it even rational to suggest the FO made a mistake with drafting Payne. 

Who knew on draft day how good any wet behind the ears, young player is going to be when mixed with men? 

Mix in getting AP/Foster/Collins

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I just want to be able to love again....

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jesus Christ.

"I WANT THE ****TY QB!!!"

"WELL WANT THE ****TIER QB!!!"

Been listening-watching everything I can today.  Getting no work done.   😧  Piecing together different narratives if true.

A. Kyle Smith, Jay and others don't want to take a QB.  They want to trade down and address needs

B.  Dan-Bruce maybe Doug, too really really love Dwayne Haskins.

C.  Jay, Kyle and scouts there really don't love Haskins

D.  Jay, Kyle go if we have to go QB lets go Jones not Haskins.

Some insiders like Sheehan and Finlay (though Finlay today seems to have jumped to Jones) think they'd rather go Lock but more noise around Jones. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So let's play the hypothetical game.

Let's say we stick around at #15, and Dwayne Haskins is there, we then draft Haskins.

What would be the next best option on offense to help Haskins adjust to the NFL game?  

Ol ... without a close 2nd.

Archived