Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

3 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

TO ME, it's problematic the pedestal we place animals on in this country. 

I think it's disturbing, but so is offering them to the Heavens as noble  sacrifices, deifying them, and considering them the caretakers of [insert supernatural realms beyond all comprehension] et al. It's CERTAINLY way cooler though :)

I mean I'd rather roll with that than Heather putting Mr Jingles in a onesie and giving him his own penthouse....

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is why everyone should have to have a dog for 1 year prior to having children, you can learn alot about people by how their dog's act.

If you do that, make sure you know someone willing to adopt the dog once the baby is born. Volunteering for rescues, I have seen multiple cases where small children get nipped by the family dog they are unwittingly tormenting, and the family gets rid of the dog for the sake of their child. Rescue groups typically have a minimum age for children in a household before they can be considered for adopting a dog for just this reason.

Me, I chose not to have kids because I was afraid one of my dogs might be allergic.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

That, in many cases, animals get treated better than human beings in the US.

That could be my next unpopular opinion: Pets get treated better than humans in America.

Want proof?

Watch the movie Hatchi...when the guy dies you're like...awww....when Hatchi dies....OMGG!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

That could be my next unpopular opinion: Pets get treated better than humans in America.

Paging Michael Vick....

Sorry, seen too much animal cruelty/neglect to buy that one.

Do I have more of an emotional attachment to my own dogs than other people.

Sure, but I live with them and they love me.

Would I be ok with killing 10,000 mice to cure cancer - absolutely.

• Like 1

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

Paging Michael Vick....

Sorry, seen too much animal cruelty/neglect to buy that one.

Do I have more of an emotional attachment to my own dogs than other people.

Sure, but I live with them and they love me.

Would I be ok with killing 10,000 mice to cure cancer - absolutely.

Yet, staying within the NFL, these guys who beat their girlfriends (people) don't get a second of jail time. 

14 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Want proof?

Watch the movie Hatchi...when the guy dies you're like...awww....when Hatchi dies....OMGG!!!!!

Or you could count the number of starved, abused animal helpline commercials vs those for American children. 

I think it has a little to do with the fact that over the last several generations, we've grown more suspicious, antisocial and outright  distrustful of our fellow msn, and it's led more people towards animsls, and those who have an indifference, or are apathetic toward humanity, still view animals as infallible, and use it as almost sort of a shield. It's really strange.

I remember noticing it a bit as a kid, when I would get chased by dogs that weren't properly secured. I also witnessed another small kid get cussed out by a grown man for telling a dog to shut up that was barking at him.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

27 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

If you do that, make sure you know someone willing to adopt the dog once the baby is born. Volunteering for rescues, I have seen multiple cases where small children get nipped by the family dog they are unwittingly tormenting, and the family gets rid of the dog for the sake of their child. Rescue groups typically have a minimum age for children in a household before they can be considered for adopting a dog for just this reason.

Me, I chose not to have kids because I was afraid one of my dogs might be allergic.

My post was a poor attempt at humor, my main point was that if you can't care for and raise a dog successfully the chances are your parenting skills will lack even more.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

That, in many cases, animals get treated better than human beings in the US.

I don't really see that, I have seen a push the last 10 years to bring awareness to the idiots who breed dogs irresponsibly or drop them off on the side of the road.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

My post was a poor attempt at humor, my main point was that if you can't care for and raise a dog successfully the chances are your parenting skills will lack even more.

My cousin spent part of the summer with us and her dogs were indeed like some ****ty assed little tykes running around. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

do you honestly think that because the nannys in charge of the media only (for the most part) allowed Disney type content in the 50s-60s, it meant that people of the time led disney type lives?

I don’t believe in the good old days, but you said gen x was more “polite” not better in a moral sense.  Ask an old retired teacher what behavior in a class room looked like and compare it to the 90s where kids took pride in making the substitute teacher cry.  The way we spoke to our friends is considered bullying today, and they’re right for thinking it so.  Gen X was not polite.  Just compare the number of rules governing polite behavior then and now.  My grandfathers generation had a list of topics that could not be discussed in public and another that was to be avoided in mixed company.  Not because it was offensive, but simply because it simply wasn’t proper.  A gentleman did not discuss his health problems for example.  There was a focus on appearance and polite behavior that simply doesn’t exist in general anymore.  When he’d tell me about what was expected of people, it sounded crazy to me.  

We weren’t more polite.  We were less racist, sexist, and more open to LGBT rights though.  Not good enough, but better in these areas than previous generations.  Young people are even better.  But that is a different topic.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

TO ME, it's problematic the pedestal we place animals on in this country. 

cosign me for this.

I will go further.  I find it downright revolting.   Calling pet owners "pet parents".   People saying, without kidding or irony, that they would rescue their dog before they rescued another person out of a burning building.     

I like dogs.... i am coming to ****ing despise dog owners.   

• Like 2

Just now, mcsluggo said:

cosign me for this.

I will go further.  I find it downright revolting.   Calling pet owners "pet parents".   People saying, without kidding or irony, that they would rescue their dog before they rescued another person out of a burning building.     

We had dogs growing up. I loved our dogs. The main reason I won't have a pet now is because, seriously, I love dogs. And I don't have time or desire to properly care for one. My sister has one and they're always out and going on trips. She used to ask me to dog sit regularly until I moved away. 

Calling them "companions" or "fur babies" grinds my gears. You don't go to "Companionsmart"

1 minute ago, mcsluggo said:

cosign me for this.

I've never heard one of my buddies refer to himself as a "pet parent" if so he would never hear the end of it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I bet if one of them hooked his gf up to jumper cables and electrocuted her,  he would go to jail for a few days. What about if he tied her up to a rape post, or forced her to go a week without food?

What if the sammich was sub par? 

But really? We have to go this far before someone sees jail time? 

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don’t believe in the good old days, but you said gen x was more “polite” not better in a moral sense.  Ask an old retired teacher what behavior in a class room looked like and compare it to the 90s where kids took pride in making the substitute teacher cry.  The way we spoke to our friends is considered bullying today, and they’re right for thinking it so.  Gen X was not polite.  Just compare the number of rules governing polite behavior then and now.  My grandfathers generation had a list of topics that could not be discussed in public and another that was to be avoided in mixed company.  Not because it was offensive, but simply because it simply wasn’t proper.  A gentleman did not discuss his health problems for example.  There was a focus on appearance and polite behavior that simply doesn’t exist in general anymore.  When he’d tell me about what was expected of people, it sounded crazy to me.  

We weren’t more polite.  We were less racist, sexist, and more open to LGBT rights though.  Not good enough, but better in these areas than previous generations.  Young people are even better.  But that is a different topic.  

there was the idealized standard that we all hear about.   and then there was how people actually behaved.   Yes there was more racism/sexism/whatever-ism-you-call-fear-or-trannys ..... People didn't just talk more racist... they were more likely to lynch somebody or burn a cross in their yard.  they didn't just talk more sexist, they were more likely to beat the living **** out of an uppity woman.  And if you come out as a tranny, you might as well write your will.. because the chances are that you would be beaten to death

but i am not even talking about that.   you didn't need to have the gall to be black/woman/jewish/gay/tranny to get yourself bullied or bruised.   I believe that people were more thuggish both physically and "socially" to EVERYONE (you could get excluded from polite society for...... what??)

I also think they also were lazier.  (a REALLY unpopular opinion).   They could afford to be ... you could get ahead just half-assing it all your life.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I don’t believe in the good old days,

100%

I've talked to several folks across generations 90 year olds and down, and the one common refrain is simply, "The good ol' days weren't that great."

It's like pain amnesia for many pregnant women who after their children are born cannot recall the pain they endured during the labor and delivery. Somehow we put it out of our minds and focus on the good things which then get framed in nostalgia.

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sorry guys, I'll love my dogs more than I'll ever love your whiny ass kids. 

Oh I love my pets more than I love most other people's kids too!!

• Haha 2