Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Somehow we put it out of our minds and focus on the good things which then get framed in nostalgia.

You either learn to hold onto what happiness you find and let most of the bad stuff go, or you walk through time with a head full of horrors.   

• Like 3

Humans are far from a finished product. We have waaaaay more evolving to do and schools should teach from a young age how bias works and how our mind will trick and distract us from dealing with things that effect it's own perceived sense of internal consistency.

Also people are way too focused on oneness or "one thing" being the solution for a given problem. They don't realize that compulsion or need is a comfort based reaction to the very real complexity and multi-dimensionality of life. We corrupt our understanding and conceptualization of reality by allowing our minds to reduce to that level of simplicity. Reality is nuanced and should not be lost to extremes.

People lack tensile/energetic fitness and spiritual fitness.  If you're hollow or corrupt or don't have integrity, you're basically a weak ass, who is so unable to handle the stress or pain of life that you take shortcuts and destroy the lives of other people to get ahead. You can't take pain and you can't handle the pressure of your own fears and appetites. If you want to be a better person, train to handle pain for the right reasons. To handle stress for something with meaning. If you don't know what having something that means something feels like, understand you have an empty cup and have to fill it, before you can feel it. You have to pay your dues, there are no short-cuts.

Also, if you only have morals or "do the right thing" in order to get to heaven or because you're afraid God will punish you, you're also a weak ass person. That kind of transactional relationship is not spirituality.  You need to develop you're internal compass and palate for what is healthy vs destructive rather than blindly follow what other people tell you is good or bad. Too many people are following rather than sensing with their internal compass and that creates a society of people who have no ****ing idea why it's vitally important to develop into a healthy and non-destructive person. 

The best things in life only come once you take on a certain shape as a person, are seen and trusted a certain way, and able to feel and experience certain things on a deep level with other people who also have put in the time and effort to be healthy people. There are no short-cuts to those experiences and realities. Why? Because when you take a short-cut you lose out on the adaptations, the changes that would occur from a result of that experience. You have literally harvested less evolution, less development and have becomes less than you potentially could have been. Don't be someone like Trump who is the manifestation of a life-time of short-cuts and shallow harvests.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Conspiracy theory: Modern art is a scam by rich people, possibly to launder money, or maybe to avoid taxes

Isn’t there a quote in the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair, the cop at the end who said that he locked up a wife killer and isn’t really interested in a few splatters of paint that only matter to some silly rich people.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Fresh8686 this is supposed to be an unpopular opinion thread, you're doing it wrong.  I agree, calm sea never made a skilled sailor.

I feel you and that thought also crossed my mind, but then again if those things really were popular we’d have a much better world than we do now. 

In reality people do everything they can to short cut the natural process and make the lives of others worse for the betterment of their own. They see not giving a **** almost like it’s a virtue. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people cant or won’t handle the pressure of taking a stand and being their own person. There are firewalls to certain parts of life that require risk and effort and tremendous stress that many people will never pass beyond :(

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

I feel you and that thought also crossed my mind, but then again if those things really were popular we’d have a much better world than we do now. 

In reality people do everything they can to short cut the natural process and make the lives of others worse for the betterment of their own. They see not giving a **** almost like it’s a virtue. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people cant or won’t handle the pressure of taking a stand and being their own person. There are firewalls to certain parts of life that require risk and effort and tremendous stress that many people will never pass beyond :(

That's the pessimist in you coming out, and based on some of the stuff you've talked about in your own life doesn't shock me.  A lot of people just don't know what they're doing or why they doing it, just know they supposed to do something, and looking both ways before crossing the street then getting hit by an airplane doesn't help.  What I've found is push come to shove, a lot of people don't know what to do outside put themselves first out of fear someone won't do the same for them.  Still one of the most charitable countries on the planet anytime a natural disaster shows up.

But if I'm in a room of classmates, most aren't plotting my demise for their success.  I find that at work, at Redskins games, there are some f'd up people, and in a large country a small percentage adds up.  We had a good news thread not to long ago, don't know what happened to it, but my guess is we are so wrapped up in what's going wrong that we forget what's going right everyday.  I wish more people had more context to their own daily strife, we'd appreciate the struggle more.  Not everyone is like us and can say "ya this is bad, but its been way f'n worse".  And news doesn't help by spending 8 hours talking about Omorosa pretending to be Mission Impossible and taking pictures of the back of peoples chairs instead of what's going on with the Rohingya.  People say they hate being from Virginia, I tell them can you imagine not being able to come back to Virginia?  Or your entire country?

We've both met a lot of people, but there's a difference between being prepared for the worst of people and expecting it.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

There's an art museum in Holland filled with random paintings done by inmates in a lunatic asylum. The guy who put it together did so because he believed modern art was a fraud, and did this to prove his point.

The difference is that Rothko, Kandinsky, Jasper Johns, Picasso COULD paint like the masters but chose not to. Representative art has been done. Look at it from their time period—you had to paint portraits before because there was no other way to capture the human image. But with the growth of photography as a legit art form, how could you still do the same thing when the camera captured things more "truthfully". It isn't until relatively recent times that it comes full circle that we accept Photo-realism as a legit genre of art again. Chuck Close one of the most recognizable practitioners of photorealism has pushed his work so far that he's back to deconstructing his subjects. 

Kandinsky

anthroposophy-in-art-2-early-paintings-k

maxresdefault.jpg

Chuck Close

Chuck+Close+Lou+(tapestry).jpg

slider1990s.jpg

They deconstructed what paint on a canvas was: just daubs on paint laid on canvas visually appealing ways—does it really matter if it reproduced a human form? 

You see it many other art forms. Music is the easy one. Popular musicians like Radiohead or Wilco deconstructed their sound pushing the boundaries of where noise/cacophony and music meet. Beatles started doing it with later albums too. 

If your color printer at home and in professionally printed materials uses four different colors of ink to create, basically, any color in the visual spectrum. Pointilism kinda heralded that with the concept of visual mixing of color (instead of mixing the color on the palette). Again pushing this idea of what exactly are we looking at on the canvas—it's just a bunch of dots. 

Pointilism

h4_51.112.6.jpg

Printed material

color-halftone.jpg

What's this?

30045529.JPG

Is it abstract art? Looks like it. But some may know it's Monet's waterlilies series. We accept it as "waterlilies" because we know he painted the same scene "in focus" when he was younger many times. As he aged, he was losing his sight so, technically, he was still painting representatively but it was how he was seeing the world in a blurry state. 

• Like 2

I like abstract art, but as a master colorist, Rothko to me is unimpressive, whereas there is a French artist named Leeb who is imho vastly superior. I prefer Braque's cubist works to Picasso, and I like Vlaminck (and Derain) more as a fauvist than Matisse. Picasso's cubism is technically far more advanced than Braque, but it is not as aesthetically appealing to me, and he didn't have the feel for color as greatly as he did for form. I am, thanks to my father, a huge lover of modern abstract tapestries. Mategot, Hillaire and Jullien in particular. Far less enamored with Lurcat and Miro, who were more famous.

As much as I appreciate it for its technical skill, I am not a fan of photorealistic painting...I mean, what's the point?

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

.I mean, what's the point?

For me the point is the command of the skill of the artist. No one notices the imperfections in an impressionist piece, or an abstract, but you get the slightest detail wrong on a photorealistic painting and that is ALL you notice. For thousands of years artists have refined artistic techniques in order to present art in the most realistic way possible given various media and techniques. The ability to create in photorealism is the crowing achievement that began with the cave drawings of ancient man.

It's like climbing to the top of Everest and then never going back just because someone else got there before.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

For me the point is the command of the skill of the artist. No one notices the imperfections in an impressionist piece, or an abstract, but you get the slightest detail wrong on a photorealistic painting and that is ALL you notice. For thousands of years artists have refined artistic techniques in order to present art in the most realistic way possible given various media and techniques. The ability to create in photorealism is the crowing achievement that began with the cave drawings of ancient man.

It's like climbing to the top of Everest and then never going back just because someone else got there before.

But then it's like climbing Everest again and again by the same person. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

But then it's like climbing Everest again and again by the same person. 

It's the view from different peaks, and demonstration of the skill and medium for different expressions. 

Not to mention the sheer number of people who NEVER summit or die along the way. Those who have reached the top have achieved.

10 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It's the view from different peaks, and demonstration of the skill and medium for different expressions. 

Not to mention the sheer number of people who NEVER summit or die along the way. Those who have reached the top have achieved.

quick (without looking it up)... who were the first 10 people to summit Everest.

I'll spot you Sir Edmund Hillary (without looking it up), but you have to do the rest.      

good luck.

uncharted territory is highly valued in this society, without any other attributes.     The second look... has to be damned good to get any notice.   

17 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I'm talking probably a little too literally, but Everest only has one summit. And artists do many paintings in one style until they get bored of it, so I think they do hit that same summit multiple times. And if you do something that's done before (without putting your own twist on it) then you're labeled as derivative. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

quick (without looking it up)... who were the first 10 people to summit Everest.

I'll spot you Sir Edmund Hillary (without looking it up), but you have to do the rest.      

good luck.

uncharted territory is highly valued in this society, without any other attributes.     The second look... has to be damned good to get any notice.   

And yet about 800 people each year attempt the climb. Why?

Because even if Sir Edmund was the first they still haven't done it.

I get the skill behind it, which in some cases is mind-blowingly impressive. Ultimately though, the purpose of painting is to create something of passion. It's fine for art to imitate/represent reality to some degree - the best art nearlt always does. Photography is for duplicating the most poignant moments in reality. Painting should transcend that to portray something more powerful. I paint mostly from photos (something which purists would scoff at), but while I might try to make a face or a body look real, I take every kind of liberty with backgrounds to maximize color harmony and create the mood and movement I want.

• Like 1

Photo-realistic painting is like pop country, paint by numbers. The art or expression is important and is one of the reasons abstract art and impressionism have a degree of interest that photo-realistic paintings do not. Riggo just summed it up better than me while I was typing...

• Like 1

@Fresh8686give you an example, seen this chick who didn't have money to take final nursing exam, couldn't tell her when they could reschedule but wouldn't let her graduate until she did.  Knew librarian and staff member had $30 in their pocket, but after it obvious neither would help, did it myself.  She doesn't need to know how guarded I am, that I have a wallet knife that's so sharp last time I accidentally cut myself when I open my wallet next time I had recipes sticking to it, or that plan to get concealed.  Told her to pay it forward to the next person and pass the damn test, if asked for her number she probably wouldn't.