Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

A locked door is more plausible, if they evolved to form different appendages incapable of solving a handle, and are not a race of brute strength (evolving to the point of reliance on superior tech), but not having the tech to dematerialize themselves or walk through walls.

The water thing is harder to get past though, and that is with me thinking that it wasn't the water itself that killed them, but what may have been in the water, causing a chemical reaction.

If you send reconnaissance/scout team ahead of a campaign, they should be able to pick up on stuff like that by taking soil/mineral and liquid samples, possibly from their ships by sending unmanned probes first, then testing it on themselves, or their suits (I think it was also a bad look having them invade butt ass naked).

Edited by Mr. Sinister

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Signs is one of those movies (like Sphere) that I always enjoy up until a certain point, and that point is "Swing away, Merrill."

You'd think it would be better for Merrill to be a contact hitter like Ichiro than say a Chris Davis. Gotta get one through the infield not over the fence cause missing wasn't an option! 

Anyway, I know it's polarizing. I know the water ending can be eye roll inducing to many. There is next to nothing given to the audience about the aliens. Vague description of wanting to harvest humans and not much else. And even that's unclear. Maybe they evolved intolerant of the trace elements in tap water or minerals in springs? Who knows? The overall experience of the movie as I described fit my life so well in the stumbling period after 9/11 -- the start of the war on terror and lead up to the Iraq war. It was just good movie at the right time.  

I can see the point that people get irritated by it. That's why I put it down as an unpopular opinion! 

James Cameron can talk till he's blue in the face about alternate realities and time having dimensions and it not being linear. But the plot of Terminator is still a "chicken or the egg first" paradox. They could just go back farther in time and kill Sarah Connor before she is born, etc. Still a good movie, at least I think so. 

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

You'd think it would be better for Merrill to be a contact hitter like Ichiro than say a Chris Davis. Gotta get one through the infield not over the fence cause missing wasn't an option! 

Anyway, I know it's polarizing. I know the water ending can be eye roll inducing to many. There is next to nothing given to the audience about the aliens. Vague description of wanting to harvest humans and not much else. And even that's unclear. Maybe they evolved intolerant of the trace elements in tap water or minerals in springs? Who knows? The overall experience of the movie as I described fit my life so well in the stumbling period after 9/11 -- the start of the war on terror and lead up to the Iraq war. It was just good movie at the right time.  

I can see the point that people get irritated by it. That's why I put it down as an unpopular opinion

Really, if you look hard at it, it's easy to place the Aliens secondary to Mel and his struggle to hold on, battling his inner demons.

I think Signs just missed being an all time classic.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:17 PM, Dan T. said:

DVR the 1 o'clock game.  Putz around in a cone of sllence until 1:45 or so.  Rewind to the beginning of the game and fast forward through all the commercials.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:24 PM, bobandweave said:

I do this. I find it irritating that in the broadcast they don’t replay all the plays. So much happens every second that I can’t catch it all. By recording the game I can rewind to my hearts content, fast forward commercials, best way to watch a game. But...I have learned the hard way that I can’t have my phone near me watching the games. Too many texts come in at that time to not be spoiled so no electronics including ExtremeSkins (unpopular) when the games on

sheesh... how can you psychically affect the outcome of the game that way?? 

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2018 at 3:20 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Bikers on roads suck.  I don't think that's an unpopular opinion unless you're part of the minority of the jerks that are on the bikes and making it dangerous for everyone.

Earlier this morning I was on some back road in Maryland where I must have seen 100 of them, they act like they're training for the Tour De France.  I came around a corner only to see a car halfway in my lane trying to avoid a string of about 7 or 8 of them, I thought I was gonna have a head on collision for a second.  Swerved to the right with some room to spare but it definitely got my heart racing.

The jerk wasn't the guy trying to pass in a blind curve?

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

Kids today are more polite, harder working, and all around better people than my generation when we were kids (gen-x), and my generation was harder working, nicer, and more polite than the generation that came before us.   

I think that's a popular opinion, just not a very accurate one.  Gen X was more open to civil rights but was not more polite.  I'd argue Gen X was intentionally less polite and proud of that fact.  Generation X coming of age pushed shock jocks and gangsta rap into cultural relevance.  Go back and listen to any of that now and tell me our generation was interested in being more polite.  Generation X's pop culture was absolutely filled with targeted rejection of polite society.  We fancied ourselves too "real" for that garbage.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh boi...I'm certain there an active thread for that for any who are so inclined to debate that further.

Yeah, yeah, dog aggression is determined by how the owner trains or treats the pet. But like with the rest of the general population, people aren't always wise and responsible. Most people who own certain breeds do so because of what that pet can symbolize or their actual utility.  

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

Kids today are more polite, harder working, and all around better people than my generation when we were kids (gen-x), and my generation was harder working, nicer, and more polite than the generation that came before us.   

Who are these kids you speak of, are they Americans?

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think that's a popular opinion, just not a very accurate one.  Gen X was more open to civil rights but was not more polite.  I'd argue Gen X was intentionally less polite and proud of that fact.  Generation X coming of age pushed shock jocks and gangsta rap into cultural relevance.  Go back and listen to any of that now and tell me our generation was interested in being more polite.  Generation X's pop culture was absolutely filled with targeted rejection of polite society.  We fancied ourselves too "real" for that garbage.

First--- i don;t think it is AT ALL the popular opinion. 

popular culture is (or WAS) just what media moguls allowed it to be.   popular culture getting more crude was just the corporate interest in slowly-steadily peeling back the constraints a little more, to shock and please the audience, and slowly pushed the FCC (and similar regulatory bodies to do the same)

NOW, it is just the fact that there IS no filter.   with the internet whatever anybody, anywhere wants to show, can be shown.   

do you honestly think that because the nannys in charge of the media only (for the most part) allowed Disney type content in the 50s-60s, it meant that people of the time led disney type lives?

9 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Yeah, yeah, dog aggression is determined by how the owner trains or treats the pet. But like with the rest of the general population, people aren't always wise and responsible. Most people who own certain breeds do so because of what that pet can symbolize or their actual utility.  

This is why everyone should have to have a dog for 1 year prior to having children, you can learn alot about people by how their dog's act.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

This is why everyone should have to have a dog for 1 year prior to having children, you can learn alot about people by how their dog's act.

TO ME, it's problematic the pedestal we place animals on in this country. 

• Thanks 2