Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

Whatever Ivy league football purist. 😁

Bama was down 2tds and didn't tie the game until the last 5 minutes against UGA last month. The same UGA that just got bevo'ed by Texas.

Clemson got strongarmed by Syracuse earlier this year for almost the entire game.

Both can be beat by good teams even if neither did this year. 

The naivete of claiming we don't need a playoff when every other level of football (FCS, Div II and III college, pro, high school) has one is silly. Just stop it. It makes you look bad. Or better yet, let's follow your desire and just award Bama the title before the season. Then cancel all the games. 

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Or better yet, let's follow your desire and just award Bama the title before the season. Then cancel all the games. 

Not the worst idea.....

I'm genuinely interested in the national title game, because 1) I like pro football and 2) the individual matchups in this game are pretty cool.

General thoughts:

How many years in a row has Georgia "arguably had the best talent in the country" while losing at least 2 and generally 3 or 4 games? Are we into 3 decades of this yet?

Has there ever been a better match of ****head coach and **** franchise like Brian Kelly and Tampa Bay? God, I can't wait for him to be punched by a backup offensive tackle during training camp. His team is going to HATE him within minutes, and it will take the Tampa front office three years to notice that they are intentionally losing games, probably because all the team execs are too busy getting table dances.

Apparently Kentucky has the best defensive lineman in the country....or Penn State has the worst offensive line. And apparently all it takes at Kentucky is to win the Citrus Bowl to be a "legend" because that dude literally called himself and his teammates legends in the post-game interview. I love the fact that Kentucky just had the greatest season in its history and no one knew. They would have made a 16 team playoff, I think, and promptly lost the first round game by 24.

Something really seems to be broken in college football. Every game is 63-7, 58-48 or 6-3. Every game is either a complete mismatch, an Arena League game, or a game from 1922.

Lincoln Riley is way too handsome to be a college football coach. He's like tv show contractor handsome when you're only allowed to be regional sales manager handsome - like Saban.

Saturdays in Morgantown will not be the same without Coach Jimmy Buffett.

I do love live mascots, and it's shocking that there has not been more animal on animal violence.

8 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Next year, we need a 24 team playoff to prove that Clemson and Alabama are far and away the two best teams.

The message of this season is basically this: "Everyone else stinks."

Nah, then it'll be 48, then some rust belt, country ass team straight out of a 90's sports epic who's coach should be played by Ted Levine,  will want a shot too.

This is the beginning of the end.

Really enjoyed this season of College football. As a Alabama fan how could I not right? Still I'd really like to see a 8 team playoff or better yet 16. 

My hope is the ncaa will one day get rid of the Alabama vs The Citadel or Mercer or Louisiana Lafayette games. Replacing them in top schools schedules in favor of an expanded playoff. 

19 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Lincoln Riley is way too handsome to be a college football coach. He's like tv show contractor handsome when you're only allowed to be regional sales manager handsome - like Saban.

We miss him at ECU and this is, subconsciously, one of the reasons why (also, you know, the back-to-back-to-back 3-9 seasons didn't help).

- - -

But back to the playoff. If  they wanna keep the playoff at 4 teams for the foreseeable future, that almost certainly shuts the mid-majors out from competing for a national championship. If that's the case and if you're not among the handful of teams that can, realistically, make it into the playoff, then what are you actually doing apart from competing for a conference title and a useless, pre-New Years exhibition? At least the "lower divisions" get to compete for a national championship of some kind (apart from the Ivy League schools). Mid-majors are in this awful, competitive purgatory where they're either homecoming fodder for the "big boys" or denied a chance for a championship because "MUH STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE." 

There's more than 120 schools in FBS. If the "mid-majors" just aren't good enough to keep up, put us in another division and let us have a chance to create our own system to declare our own national championship. The "power conferences" won't miss us because we were never relevant to begin with, right? 

Anyone like Clemson for the upset?  Thinking about putting a moneyline bet on them.  I admittedly haven't watched much college football this year.  From what I've been reading Clemson has a pretty excellent front seven, maybe they can get to Tagovailoa and disrupt him.  People seem really high on Trevor Lawrence.     

46 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Anyone like Clemson for the upset?  Thinking about putting a moneyline bet on them.  I admittedly haven't watched much college football this year.  From what I've been reading Clemson has a pretty excellent front seven, maybe they can get to Tagovailoa and disrupt him.  People seem really high on Trevor Lawrence.     

I think Lawrence is legit but not gifted enough with his legs to beat Bama. I expect Bama to get in his head early and the Tide to win by +10.

7 hours ago, clietas said:

Really enjoyed this season of College football. As a Alabama fan how could I not right? Still I'd really like to see a 8 team playoff or better yet 16. 

My hope is the ncaa will one day get rid of the Alabama vs The Citadel or Mercer or Louisiana Lafayette games. Replacing them in top schools schedules in favor of an expanded playoff. 

It’s a nice thought, but those games provide enough money for the small schools to be able to afford to field a football team year in and year out. Do away with those, and I fear a 30-40 team super division is what would ultimately become.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I like Tua more than Spicoli (Lawrence) but I like Clemson's RB more than Bamas duo. Bama does have Judge Jeudy though at WR. That dude looks legit. And yeah, Clemson's Dline is almost pro level deep.

Wish we (Skins) could take Tua this year.

Tua is good, but Lawrence may be the best QB prospect to come out of HS, like...ever. He’s Peyton with more athleticism. That said, he is a true freshman, so he will be feeling the butterflies, and Tua has been there. 

I think these here teams are very well matched, but Clemson cannot let Bama get off to a quick start like they did against Oklahoma. Athletes on both sides of the ball are very comparable, I’m hoping for another classic like a couple years ago

On 1/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

Who do you want WVU to get?

Neal Brown from Troy for me. 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Yep. 2nd choice would be Fickell (Cincy) or Butch Jones (I know..I know). 

This is an excellent hire.

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2019/1/4/18168289/breaking-news-neal-brown-troy-trojans-west-virginia-wvu-mountaineers-head-coach-search-hire

BREAKING: Troy’s Neal Brown set to become the next head coach at West Virginia, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Pete Thamel

On 1/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Rumors are that it's the Troy coach (Neal Brown) for WVU. 4 yrs for less than what they were paying Dana.

We'll see....35-16 in his first HC stint at Troy. The dude is only 38.

I scooped them by 3 days (well on the hiring part. No idea on the $s). 😁

One place is saying it's a 6yr deal. Wonder what this means for Gibson.

With open recruitment starting back up again starting Jan 11th, getting a coach hired quickly was important.

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I scooped them by 3 days (well on the hiring part. No idea on the $s). 😁

One place is saying it's a 6yr deal. Wonder what this means for Gibson.

With open recruitment starting back up again starting Jan 11th, getting a coach hired quickly was important.

Gibson is probably out, Brown has a DC that he is likely to bring with him, who is awesome.  

Archived