Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I'll quote Kelly, the teams weren't as mismatched as the score. I think anybody who watched saw that the 1st quarter was shaping up to lead to a good game. In fact ND  outplayed them. But in the end, ND wasn't ready for the big stage. Book played like a 3rd stringer and they simply tightened up once they fell down by 2 scores. 

I'll take my medicine but will stand firm that ND played the worse game of the year for them and I have no doubt they can compete with Clemson. Laugh it up but anybody who watched both games should say ND had a much better chance at winning a rematch between the 2 losers. 

This is silly. ND got crushed. Clemson had 538 total yards and wasn’t trying to do much at least the last quarter and a half. 

Neither OU nor ND would have a chance in a rematch. College football is pretty terrible and it’s just going to be Clemson/Bama again next season too

13 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why do you say that? Thought he was popular there and is pretty successful, though hasn’t gotten over the hump just yet 

His contract expires next season (I think) and he's likely going to be pursued by UH (after they fired Major Applewhite) and offered a butt load of money. It's a step down conference wise but it's also a chance to get back to Texas, make a lot of money, and not have to deal with recruiting issues.

Also, I think he's not coached well the past 2 seasons and has worn on th fanbase and maybe the admin. This team should have been his best...and he went 8-3 regular season. The Iowa State and OK State losses were probably inexcusable. Plus he's losing his starting QB Grier, his 2 starting stud WRs, his first round talent (according to some draft gurus) LT, and the B12 DPOY.

Follow up, UH allegedly contacted WVU today to get permission to talk with Dana (as per his conract requirement). WVU allowed the interview.

If WVU moves on..not sure who's out there that would be available. Maybe they could go retro with Terry Bowden..or go for a big hire like Klingsbury (even though he just agreed to be USCs OC) or someone like him.

The VT program is a complete joke. It's amazing how about 18 seasons of building something began to fall completely apart basically around 2011. 

They are in shambles. Just longing for the good old days when we could beat up on a weak ACC schedule or maybe knock off Miami when they had a down year or were sanctioned in the Big East. 

There is no going back, just further slipping into irrelevance. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The VT program is a complete joke. It's amazing how about 18 seasons of building something began to fall completely apart basically around 2011. 

They are in shambles. Just longing for the good old days when we could beat up on a weak ACC schedule or maybe knock off Miami when they had a down year or were sanctioned in the Big East. 

There is no going back, just further slipping into irrelevance. 

I remember during the Michael Vick years and the 5-10 that followed, I had numerous Tech friends who would crap on me for my Penn State fandom.  Though I will note that the Sandusky scandal was far worse, this timeframe coincided with a 5 year run that was one of Penn State's worst in program history, in the early 2000's.  These friends even had the gall to tell me that Tech was a more historically relevant football school than Penn State.  All this despite Penn State having two legitimate national championships and arguably a third, being top 10 historically in wins, etc.

Anyway, I brought up the above points but generally let them have their fun.  I think everyone but them knew this time would eventually come.

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

I remember during the Michael Vick years and the 5-10 that followed, I had numerous Tech friends who would crap on me for my Penn State fandom.  Though I will note that the Sandusky scandal was far worse, this timeframe coincided with a 5 year run that was one of Penn State's worst in program history, in the early 2000's.  These friends even had the gall to tell me that Tech was a more historically relevant football school than Penn State.  All this despite Penn State having two legitimate national championships and arguably a third, being top 10 historically in wins, etc.

Anyway, I brought up the above points but generally let them have their fun.  I think everyone but them knew this time would eventually come.

Yeah it was obvious at the time and one of the reasons I wanted Beamer gone a lot sooner than many did. 

They were able to put together a few well-coached, scrappy underdog teams that  benefited immensely from Miami’s sanctions into hell during the mid 90s and nabbed a sugar bowl and orange bowl bid. That surprise success let them get a few good recruits, most notably, Michael Vick who singlehandedly launched the program into the stratosphere. 

Unfortunately, Beamer was never able to parlay the Vick era success and N.C. appearance into anything substantial. He was too loyal to bad coaches he personally befriended, was never aggressive in recruiting and made too many coaching mistakes in big games. He never saw modern college football developing in front of his eyes and he was content with the plateau of success he had built because he had come so far already. The problem was the fan base and alumni wanted to go to the next level and I don’t think he ever knew how to get there because he never understood the dynamics of modern college football and how the game, the recruiting and facilities etc changed so much so quickly.

It was a house of cards and we were always destined to get left behind due to the disadvantages in money, history, location, success etc that VT deals with unless we struck while the iron was red hot from 1999- 2005. 

They didn’t and now the program is nothing but warm embers smoldering on the pile of what could have been. 

Maybe somebody will capture that magic again and be able to ignite the program again and actually build off it but I doubt it.  Schools like VT don’t hit that jackpot more than once. It sure as hell isnt Feunte that’ll do it. 

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted, tho most of the fun always ended in vomit and heartache. 

Good god, Michigan State's offense is terrible.  Hopefully they get better next year.  Their QB who was supposed to be pretty good, sucked all year.  Maybe he'll improve next year, but I question the offensive coaching staff.

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

$20 million for a college coach.  I just... cannot wrap my head around this sport at all.  When I was at OU's stadium, the guy there mentioned the capacity is twice the size of the student body.  To me, that means the stadium isn't for them.

Why would it just be for them? They are also pumping out 10-15k graduates each year that will want to come back and see games. Plus local fans that haven’t gone to the school. 

College football is a behemoth

16 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why would it just be for them? They are also pumping out 10-15k graduates each year that will want to come back and see games. Plus local fans that haven’t gone to the school. 

Never said it should be just for the students, said I don't feel its for them at all.

My initial reaction to $20 million dollars to a college coach (and Houston is by no means as large as OU is) would be how many of those students tuition could be paid for with that.  And if the response is that not many because of how expensive college is now, that's just as big a problem.  There's an atrocious amount of money being made from this sport to turn around and have a student debt crisis, in nearly 4 out of every 5 states the highest paid state level employee is a college coach.

I can see arguments for both sides, but it bothers the F out of me.

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In Columbus to visit my brother so figured I'd check this place out first, figured some of yall might get a kick out of it : )

I just threw up in my mouth.

7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yup, but can’t pay the kids who give their heart, souls, and bodies for this. They’re amateurs!!

Ridiculous.

Archived