Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

On 3/4/2022 at 11:33 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

The LSAT stuff is hilarious. I honestly don’t even remember what my LSAT score was. It is that unimportant. If any lawyer actually bragged to me their LSAT score, i think i would reflexively punch them in the dick. 

this seems to be what everyone is saying

Funny she’s got more experience as an actual judge than 4 other sitting members combined. 

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

A few years ago I was talking with my roommate at the time (who taught government at a highschool) about the SCOTUS and RBG dying under Trump. In so many words, he told me to chill, Thomas is old and would be right behind any justice that would go down.

What scares me the most is are the Dems going to **** out when the time comes to push their person thru? WIll Manchin and Sinema allow that to happen? We need to get these DINOs out of the party immediately.

Manchin and Sinema are up for reelection in 24. Joe likely gets reelected but Kirsten will lose her primary.

If you want Thomas, Alito to pass on; you want it to happen no later then June.  If there's an opening in the fall; no way Joe and Kirsten allow it to happen.

I still not sure both of them vote Jackson Brown . If Brown gets in, it may  depend on 2-3 republicans.  

• Sad 1

I have no doubt that Judge Jackson is highly qualified to be on the SCOTUS.  I would be pretty surprised if she isn't confirmed.  I also have no doubt that certain senators will use their time to score political points by making her defend her time as a public defender.  "You represented bad people!"  The senators that will make go down this path all went to top-notch law schools and know that everyone, especially someone accused of a crime, is entitled to legal representation under the 6th amendment and lawyers have an ethical duty to zealously represent them.  They also know that the people who will buy their act are too dumb to understand the importance of the work of public defenders.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I have always felt that Presidents should get deference wrt to Supreme Court picks. but I have only paid attention since 2005. 

Miers was obviously a political hack.  As much as I disagree with Alito's jurisprudence, I didn't think his nomination was bad.

I thought Kavanaugh disqualified himself in his hearings and his demeamer was way over the line at the hearing.  Perhaps you feel it is unfair that your boorish, childish behavior in high school and college come back and bite you.  A Supreme Court seat is a privledge.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have no doubt that Judge Jackson is highly qualified to be on the SCOTUS.  I would be pretty surprised if she isn't confirmed.  I also have no doubt that certain senators will use their time to score political points by making her defend her time as a public defender.  "You represented bad people!"  The senators that will make go down this path all went to top-notch law schools and know that everyone, especially someone accused of a crime, is entitled to legal representation under the 6th amendment and lawyers have an ethical duty to zealously represent them.  They also know that the people who will buy their act are too dumb to understand the importance of the work of public defenders.  

It almost never happens but I’d love to see her go on the offensive and respond with a rephrasing of Corcaigh’s question, i.e. “So if you have an issue with that, can I quote you as being against the Constitution then?” Even Faux News would probably have no choice but to run a response like that because it would be literally everywhere. They’d spin it as her bring disrespectful but it’s hard to spin pwnage like that. 

Edited by The Sisko
  • Thumb up 1

I do enjoy the Freudian slip of calling people who can’t afford a lawyer “bad people”. Psst, your racism is showing. 

i mean maybe you could get a pass if we didn’t have countless reports and documentaries and even one what of a movement about the criminal justice system being unfair specifically to minority and poor people because (among other things) … wait for it… lawyers are expensive and they can’t afford them. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I thought Kavanaugh disqualified himself in his hearings and his demeamer was way over the line at the hearing.  Perhaps you feel it is unfair that your boorish, childish behavior in high school and college come back and bite you.  A Supreme Court seat is a privledge.  

I think High School behavior shouldn't disqualify somebody. 

I think his behavior during confirmation demonstrated that the behavior hasn't changed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I think High School behavior shouldn't disqualify somebody. 

I think his behavior during confirmation demonstrated that the behavior hasn't changed. 

Well, if said person participated in or attempted a sexual assault in high school/college..it most definitely should. But then again, conservatives tend not to believe the accusers (3 seperate women in Kavanaugh's hearing). Especially if one of the claims turns out to be false (or walked back). They they all are, I guess...

Edited by The Evil Genius

It’s sad to watch our representatives act this way. 

Theres important conversation to have about what and who public defenders are; what it means that people on gitmo received lawyers; what it means that the consistent trend of judges is to downgrade sentencing from guidelines; these are all important topics of discussion. And a hearing for the first black female nominee is as good a place as any to have them - everyone’s watching. 

I bet she has a lot of smart things to say about all of that. 

Instead we get this bull****. What a ****ing waste. It’s so embarrassing. 

I mean the real take away from the republicans act today is:

if you went to a good law school, and have a chance at the things that put you on the short list, don’t you dare be a public defender. Cause that’s a bad look. Representing the bad guys and all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 7:39 PM, China said:

Just die already.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, The Evil Genius said:

No.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:28 PM, Simmsy said:

Ok, do we know that he is vaxxed? Time to make up for RBG.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:20 AM, The Sisko said:

Why do you always have to be a buzzkill? Given the prior post about all the SCOTUS judges being fully vaxxed, I’m rooting for whatever the infection is.

Each one of these comments are horrific and disgusting. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, superozman said:

Each one of these comments are horrific and disgusting

Such is the end-state of politicizing the Supreme Court, as well as the path our political system has taken over the last 20 years. 

i can think of lots of horrific and disgusting things, related to the Supreme Court and its justices or the appointees, or the process over the years. 

Not condoning it. Just… it just doesn’t stand out anymore. Just like the horrific and disgusting things said about, or by, our political leaders/candidates. When people lower the bar because they don’t like a certain person/situation, it gets lowered for all people/situations. 

Edited by tshile
  • Thanks 1