Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

23 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

How Republicans Can Block Stephen Breyer’s Replacement

I fully expect the GOP to do what's in the article.

Shumur is a weak leader. Why did he agree to that? AOC needs to challenge him. She’d be a better Senator than him.

From the article:

The original version of this story incorrectly stated that Republicans could use Senate rules to block a Biden Supreme Court nomination. It was based on the author’s incorrect analysis of a May 13, 2021, Congressional Research Service report. The Senate will require a majority of votes to approve Justice Stephen Breyer’s replacement, not 60 votes.

“If Democrats stay united from the committee through the floor, there is nothing standing between the President’s pick and the bench. Every step requires a simple majority, which they’ll have,” says Matt House, a former top aide to Schumer.

It can't be blocked is what I am understanding, a tie would result in Harris voting to break it.  The only question now is how much money and promises are going to be thrown to Manchin & SInema to put up resistance.  I don't think they would actually vote no once it comes time, but I could see them being pushed to try and make it appear they would to influence the possible nominee. 

Not sure trying to block, or make extremely difficult, a nomination of a black woman to the SC is a viable strategy for Repubs going into the midterms. IMO, it would allow Dems to push the racist/sexist gop angle, and may motivate people of color to get out and vote. Also, pushing back hard against a woman, any woman, will not sit well with suburban housewives, a voting bloc the gop is desperately trying to sway.

• Thanks 1

Ah, they'll simply follow script. 

Whoever Biden nominates will be the most activist justice in world history. 

AOC will have personally picked her out. 

She will be committed to Critical Race Theory being mandatory force fed to your children against your will. 

And the only way to prevent the Satanic takeover of your lives will be to get out there and vote straight Republican. So they can prevent Biden from appointing anybody else. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Also, pushing back hard against a woman, any woman, will not sit well with suburban housewives, a voting bloc the gop is desperately trying to sway.

you mean the voting bloc they swayed in Virginia by making up an issue about CRT being taught in our schools?

i don’t think they’re terribly worried about this supposed challenge. 

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

She will be committed to Critical Race Theory being mandatory force fed to your children against your will. 

And the only way to prevent the Satanic takeover of your lives will be to get out there and vote straight Republican. So they can prevent Biden from appointing anybody else. 

You forgot the “it’s an election year so the people should decide” talking point. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

That will resonate with a bulk of the party, the whackos, but there are plenty of more grounded repubs, that I know, who have zoned out on this chatter, but still can’t bring themselves to vote dem. Those, and the fence sitters, are the ones that can sway elections. 

Not every white, suburban housewife is a Karen, and when the more grounded ones see a woman put forth with a Sterling resume, get pilloried by repub congresspeople, it may turn them off, and/or sway votes. 

McConnell is cagy enough to realize he’s got a 6-3 conservative majority even if another lib gets seated, and it may not be worth the fight to possibly lose congressional seats, where, with a majority, they can push their agenda, and seat new judges in the future. Pass on the battle to win the war.

I think it’s relatively politically easy for Republicans to not vote for the nominee  — if they do it in unison.  For all of Trump’s nominees only four dem votes were cast among the three — two were from Manchin.  

The challenge will be to get Manchin and Sinema onboard.  Manchin, I’m less concerned about.  He’s playing the long game.  Sinema is the wildcard.  She is going to get primaried.  Her time is short.  She may find it in her personal best interest to be a saboteur.

EDIT:  I will add that there may be some R confirmation votes if they are convinced that both Sinema and Manchin will vote to confirm.  Collins, likely.  So I wouldn’t rule out that the final vote could be something like 53/47.  But, again, Sinema is the key here.

Edited by Ball Security

It's a 6-3 court that's going to remain a 6-3 court.  GOP may think they may win more political points by giving Biden his relatively meaningless confirmation to have something to point to and say see, we are bipartisan when it's not whacko liberalism run amuck.

• Like 1

Um. The justices go against the side believed to align with the party that appointed them often enough. 

If they have any way to block this, they are not going to pass that up. Even if it means Biden eventually appoints the person, but that they must pass whatever test the gop has (to limit how liberal the nominee is), they will exercise their ability to do that if they see one. 

They already told us they view controlling the court as the most important thing. So. Not sure why anyone would think they’re not going to pull any tricks out of their bag that they can. 

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

f they have any way to block this, they are not going to pass that up.

Of course. Pretty safe bet that from now on, no Dem SC nominee receives a vote from an R Senate, ever again. Probably half of all appointees don't get one. 

They are not blocking this.  They can't block this unless the make-up of the Senate changes.   Both Manchin and  Sinema can call out GOP for not being bipartisan if they vote in lockstep.  Especially Manchin if he supported Trumps nominees --- I looked it up and he supported all but Barrett.  

Quite frankly I am frosted by the 6-3 makeup of the court (should be 5-4).  We will see a historic nomination.  

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Um. The justices go against the side believed to align with the party that appointed them often enough. 

If they have any way to block this, they are not going to pass that up. Even if it means Biden eventually appoints the person, but that they must pass whatever test the gop has (to limit how liberal the nominee is), they will exercise their ability to do that if they see one. 

They already told us they view controlling the court as the most important thing. So. Not sure why anyone would think they’re not going to pull any tricks out of their bag that they can. 

If it's a choice between blocking and confirmation, sure.  But without Manchin or Sinema defecting, they have no way to block.  In that scenario, they may view a 60-70+ confirmation as more beneficial than a 50+1 confirmation.

Just now, bearrock said:

If it's a choice between blocking and confirmation, sure.  But without Manchin or Sinema defecting, they have no way to block.  In that scenario, they may view a 60-70+ confirmation as more beneficial than a 50+1 confirmation.

Right. 

and what makes you think manchin and/or sinema are going to just go along with the party?

it seems pretty obvious to me that the squabbling has hit a nerve. 

i don’t know how else to explain a long time democrat line manchin, showing up on fox news on Sunday morning to announce he won’t support Biden’s core legislative agenda, blindsiding the administration. That wasn’t just coincidence. It was deliberate. The intent was to embarrass the administration. I assume because he’s pissed about how they took it public and threw him under the bus. 

im being cynical. I get it. But I feel like cynicism is based on what we’ve watched unfold over the last year, and all this optimism is in spite of that. 

2 months go the general vibe was manchin and sinema were going to defect to the GOP. Now they’re gonna jump in line? Maybe. I’m certainly not assuming that will happen though. 

don’t forget, in terms of political strategy, the gop runs circles around the Dems. They’ve even managed to make it Biden/Dems fault that the GOP are basically a collective of assholes. If you believe the polls. 

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right. 

and what makes you think manchin and/or sinema are going to just go along with the party?

it seems pretty obvious to me that the squabbling has hit a nerve. 

i don’t know how else to explain a long time democrat line manchin, showing up on fox news on Sunday morning to announce he won’t support Biden’s core legislative agenda, blindsiding the administration. That wasn’t just coincidence. It was deliberate. The intent was to embarrass the administration. I assume because he’s pissed about how they took it public and threw him under the bus. 

im being cynical. I get it. But I feel like cynicism is based on what we’ve watched unfold over the last year, and all this optimism is in spite of that. 

2 months go the general vibe was manchin and sinema were going to defect to the GOP. Now they’re gonna jump in line? Maybe. I’m certainly not assuming that will happen though. 

don’t forget, in terms of political strategy, the gop runs circles around the Dems. They’ve even managed to make it Biden/Dems fault that the GOP are basically a collective of assholes. If you believe the polls. 

Yeah, it'll be some time before we're privy to what happened behind the scenes with Manchin and the WH.  I suspect Klain will have to eventually crawl on his knees to the Capitol and kiss Manchin's rings.

52 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Mic drop. Who does this upset more? Clarence or Amy?

Thomas.

But I think it's more likely to upset certain leftist types who see Democrats and Republicans as being on the same team, just the Democrats put pride flags and Black Lives Matter signs on their social media accounts. 

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

Yep, it's certainly possible that a few R's who will decide that he's going to get confirmed anyway. And that finding one token "look, a moderate" vote might be a plus. 

Just like the infrastructure vote. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I fully expect there will be some GOP senators who break ranks on the nomination.

If all 50 Dems vote to confirm. 

No way in Dallas any R is going to be the 50th vote to confirm.