Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

30 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So you're saying they would simply block any SC nominee that Democrat president made, regardless of circumstances?

They will push as far as possible as long as there are no political consequences. Then they will try to reframe it to push even more. 

• Thumb down 1

My wife wants to leave the country, yesterday. As an academic, I'm not sure what job prospects I would have and I'm not sure we're financially ready. But I can't believe I'm having to consider these things in my early 50s.

All I know is that the only hope we have - this year, 2024 - is to motivate as many people as we can to vote, vote, vote. Blue wave NOW or the whole thing is over.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Founders wanted the government to stand up to Christianity. Not crackdown on it, pretty sure a blanket approach would be unconstitutional.

Going after corruption and loopholes in organized religion would be a great start, regardless of religion.

But specifically targeting one religion in general will not go well, I get the anger, but let's not overreact and it blow up in our face (most of the country is still Christian)

Founders wanted separation of church and state.  That’s not where we are at present and Christianity just happens to be the one that became intertwined with the government.  Nothing against that religion in particular (for this argument anyway), would feel the same about any religion that was running the country.

But yes it would be unpopular and a poor strategy to attack it specifically.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Go ahead and add Loving to that list, Clarence, you corrupt asshole.

I don't know if you got why I said he didn't go that far.  It would impact him.  His wife is white.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Would kill off a lot of the smaller ones, rather start with megachurches and negotiate down from there.

Quite frankly, I don't care.  

I feel bad, a little bit.  My mom raised me going to church, she wanted it to stick so desperately and it didn't.  I get why people are into it, it just never resonated with me.  I like to believe in God, I like to believe in a higher power.  But I always thought that going to church for an hour a week was bull****.  It's nothing more than a fashion show and people thinking that they can do whatever they want during the week as long as they go and ask for forgiveness on Sunday.  IMO, of course.

The more we go along here, the more I see Christians not acting as such, and using their beliefs to...well, do things like we just witnessed today, the more I can't stand it. In a way, I really don't mind the megachurches because at least they wear their bull**** on their sleeves.  All that Joel Osteen ****, he's broadcasting exactly who he is and not apologizing for it.  And yeah, tax that guy, but also tax the little churches in the sticks that are preaching hate from the pulpit, too.  

I mean, flat tax, amirite?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Quite frankly, I don't care.  

I feel bad, a little bit.  My mom raised me going to church, she wanted it to stick so desperately and it didn't.  I get why people are into it, it just never resonated with me.  I like to believe in God, I like to believe in a higher power.  But I always thought that going to church for an hour a week was bull****.  It's nothing more than a fashion show and people thinking that they can do whatever they want during the week as long as they go and ask for forgiveness on Sunday.  IMO, of course.

The more we go along here, the more I see Christians not acting as such, and using their beliefs to...well, do things like we just witnessed today, the more I can't stand it. In a way, I really don't mind the megachurches because at least they wear their bull**** on their sleeves.  All that Joel Osteen ****, he's broadcasting exactly who he is and not apologizing for it.  And yeah, tax that guy, but also tax the little churches in the sticks that are preaching hate from the pulpit, too.  

I mean, flat tax, amirite?

Nah, a lot of churches take that money and give back to the community, I know mine does.

The megachurches make so much some of them have mansions and planes, that's very different, they can pay a fair share and still keep it moving.  If a church makes say over a million a year, they should lose non-profit status.

I want crack downs on these seed theory assholes, obviously political sermons, and inciting of violence as well.  DOJ should be forcing thr issue on sexual assult allegations, not waiting for churches to come forward or handle internally. Even that may look like a purge or crackdown, but a neccesary to help save Christianity from itself in this country.

A lot of smaller churches have nothing to do with this crap we are seeing right now or read about in the news, like Westboro.  My Pastor has a regular job, his main source of income is from that, not the church.  I know he went into his own pocket during peak COVID to keep our church from closing, I don't agree with everything he says, but he's not they guy you and others are after right now.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Nah, a lot of churches take that money and gove back to the community, I know mine does.

The megachurches make so much some of them have mansions and planes, that's very different, they can pay a fair share and still keep it moving.  If a church makes say over a million a year, they should lose non-profit status.

I want crack downs on these seed theory assholes, obviously political sermons, and inciting of violence as well.  DOJ should be forcing thr issue on sexual assult allegations, not waiting for churches to come forward or handle internally. Even that may look like a purge or crackdown, but a neccesary to help save Christianity from itself in this country.

A lot of smaller churches have nothing to do with this crap we are seeing right now or read about in the news, like Westboro.  My Pastor has a regular job, his main source of income is from that, not the church.  I know he went into his own pocket during peak COVID to keep our church from closing, I don't agree with everything he says, but he's not they guy you and others are after right now.

The thing is, I don't care how much good they do with that money. The point is that they have a political agenda. They have to. All churches have a political agenda. Their views, regardless of what they may be, must naturally lead them to oppose or support certain political ideology. And because of that, they must be taxed. 

• Thumb down 1

16 minutes ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

The thing is, I don't care how much good they do with that money. The point is that they have a political agenda. They have to. All churches have a political agenda. Their views, regardless of what they may be, must naturally lead them to oppose or support certain political ideology. And because of that, they must be taxed. 

Unless they specifically address their political views in a way to influence their members, I can't get down with that blanket statement.

It has to be kept in context that's its politicians that have beliefs they claim are Christian.  Religion predates political parties.

Besides, these SCOTUS candidates were recommended and pushed for in some cases by Christian-based organizations, NOT specific churches.

Again, going after the wrong folks here on this issue some of yall, including me, are justifiably pissed off about. 

Just a casual reminder that todays decision is in reality a response to the birth rate falling well below the line needed to maintain the working population of button pushers and lever pullers in order to keep up with demands of unfettered capitalism and satisfy the greed of the ultra rich.

They want us to get all pissy and argue about politics and separation of church and state and the purity of the court and any and everything other than the real cause.

What is the answer to every question?  Money.

Sure, this is issue is particularly germane to religious beliefs and receives most of its public and political support for that very reason but, make no mistake, at it’s core this is an economic decision bought and paid for by the handful of folks with all the money.  They have all of it, it’s not enough, and they want more.  To ensure they get it, they need babies and lots of them.  Abortions reduce the workforce.  Gay marriage doesn’t create babies.  Contraceptives prevent babies.  Eventually someone will probably take on a passion project to block interracial marriage if given the authority to do so, but that will be going off script to the drumbeat off-the-rails capitalism.

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Just a casual reminder that todays decision is in reality a response to the birth rate falling well below the line needed to maintain the working population of button pushers and lever pullers in order to keep up with demands of unfettered capitalism and satisfy the greed of the ultra rich.

They want us to get all pissy and argue about politics and separation of church and state and the purity of the court and any and everything other than the real cause.

What is the answer to every question?  Money.

Sure, this is issue is particularly germane to religious beliefs and receives most of its public and political support for that very reason but, make no mistake, at it’s core this is an economic decision bought and paid for by the handful of folks with all the money.  They have all of it, it’s not enough, and they want more.  To ensure they get it, they need babies and lots of them.  Abortions reduce the workforce.  Gay marriage doesn’t create babies.  Contraceptives prevent babies.  Eventually someone will probably take on a passion project to block interracial marriage if given the authority to do so, but that will be going off script to the drumbeat off-the-rails capitalism.

Well, only about half (if that) of one party really believes what you are saying is even possible to fix. And the other half thinks even trying to run on it is a non starter and how you lose elections. Remember the Burnie v. Hilldog times? That’s what this was. It’s not a battle you can win divided. And we are very divided. 

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Well, only about half (if that) of one party really believes what you are saying is even possible to fix. And the other half thinks even trying to run on it is a non starter and how you lose elections. Remember the Burnie v. Hilldog times? That’s what this was. It’s not a battle you can win divided. And we are very divided. 

Oh for sure.  Just a reminder.

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

So. Do I need to get snipped now before they outlaw that?

Go for it and have them line your forehead up correctly this time.

lol, time for me to become a paternity lawyer!

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Haha 1