Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Wash DC as a Championship town and it's meaning for the Skins.

clskinsfan

Dan Snyder is a business man first.  Then Redskins fan.  Then Redskins owner... in that order.  That said, it would appear that he's beginning to look like he understands that good businesses are run by good people (how he got this far and it appeared that this thought was not within his grasp is beyond me). 

He saw what happened on this run.  The money and outpouring of support that this city showed did not go unnoticed (imho).  From the watch parties, to the parade and rally (and yes I was there 20 feet from the front barrier... got to the Mall at 8am and stood in 1 place til the rally ended at 3ish with one of the best renditions of "we are the champions" I've ever witnessed).  100,000 people in the streets of various cities watching big screens when the team was on the road.  This is all a business move that he can tap into, but it starts with WINNING.  I hope and pray he see's this and learns from it.  Having Joe Gibbs lead the Capital One center crowd in "LETS GO CAPS" had to resonate with him that the results on the field will be more beneficial to the franchise than any, and I mean ANY other business decision.  

I think it can have a residual effect, if nothing else it smacks this ownership group in the face to wake them up and understand what the real goal is here... increasing sales doesnt win games, but winning games increases sales.  

@thesubmittedone. Agree about the “team” aspect. All three Redskins teams that won the SB, never had a Montana or Barry Sanders or Rice or Lawrence Taylor. The reason they won was because they came together as a team, knew their roles and understood they needed to play within Gibbs system, and they’d come out on top. 

If you watched the Caps starting with game 3 against Columbus, you could see that. You could see Ovie blocking shots, Oshie diving all over the place, the third and fourth line players picking up the scoring load and last but not least, see the players buy in to Trotz strategies EVERY round for that opponent.

I’m hoping it kicks in with the Redskins one day.

Caps have been a top team in the NHL pretty much for the most part of a decade, though.  I'm not sure if anything really magical happened this season......just ran into some unfortunate breaks in the playoffs in the past, or couldn't beat another great team in Pittsburgh a few years.  Things just happened to break right this season, and heck, this is Trotz's fourth season here, so I'm not sure he did anything special in comparison to his other three seasons in DC. 

I get the feeling that when the Skins do break through, its not going to be like it predominantly used to be in the old days, when you are good for a few seasons and have playoff appearances and finally get to the SB.  I think it might be a situation where the team comes out of nowhere like the '82 team......and hopefully that will lead to a period of sustained excellence like Gibbs 1.0. 

40 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Caps have been a top team in the NHL pretty much for the most part of a decade, though.  I'm not sure if anything really magical happened this season......just ran into some unfortunate breaks in the playoffs in the past, or couldn't beat another great team in Pittsburgh a few years.  Things just happened to break right this season, and heck, this is Trotz's fourth season here, so I'm not sure he did anything special in comparison to his other three seasons in DC. 

I get the feeling that when the Skins do break through, its not going to be like it predominantly used to be in the old days, when you are good for a few seasons and have playoff appearances and finally get to the SB.  I think it might be a situation where the team comes out of nowhere like the '82 team......and hopefully that will lead to a period of sustained excellence like Gibbs 1.0. 

Every champion in every sport needs some luck to win it all. Heck Vegas probably hit 8 or 9 posts in a 4 game stretch. But you also make your own luck through preparation and having enough skilled players. Many would call Holtby's save lucky. I would say he made one hell of a play.

There is something to be said for continuity as well. Leonsis has been blasted in the past for staying with his guys for too long. But it paid off, at least for one of his teams. I actually like the coaching staff on the Skins right now. Gruden has gotten better every IMO. And the Skins do have a talented group of players. Who knows. Maybe this is the year they take the next step and actually win a playoff game. Lets be honest. Not a single person on this site picked the Eagles to win the Super Bowl last year. Football is like that though. You can get on a run and be playing your best football heading into the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

@thesubmittedone. Agree about the “team” aspect. All three Redskins teams that won the SB, never had a Montana or Barry Sanders or Rice or Lawrence Taylor. The reason they won was because they came together as a team, knew their roles and understood they needed to play within Gibbs system, and they’d come out on top. 

If you watched the Caps starting with game 3 against Columbus, you could see that. You could see Ovie blocking shots, Oshie diving all over the place, the third and fourth line players picking up the scoring load and last but not least, see the players buy in to Trotz strategies EVERY round for that opponent.

I’m hoping it kicks in with the Redskins one day.

Exactly. 

I don’t watch hockey, but the last couple of years I watched the Caps lose in the playoffs. 

This year, I didn’t pay attention to them until the Pittsburgh series. And right away I saw a difference. It immediately struck me just how much of a “team” they were as opposed to before. It was incredible to me how every single guy contributed positively. Whether it was skill or whether it was physicality or whether it was hustle, etc... you could see each guy contributed what they could and understood their role. It was really something to watch. 

This is why many of us who understand the above and what it takes focus so heavily on the personnel department here and the executives in charge. Putting together a roster, or just team-building in general, is such an intricate and interconnected job it requires real expertise and top level management/planning.

You don’t just get lucky when you put the right group of guys together. And you see once it happens how easier it is on the coaches and everyone involved. Suddenly the criticisms directed at those guys disappear and they look brilliant. 

We saw it with Doug Pederson last season. 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, Renegade7 said:

Given what his wife is doing for cancer and he himself is doing for native americans, your definition of shmucks seems skewed.

Snyder needs to do an AMA.  People are speaking for him because he won't speak himself.

I'm talking about football "schmuck" here. No one is asking for him to lose his life. We just don't want him as owner. He doesn't need to do an AMA his ownership speaks for itself. This isn't about Snyder the guy it's about Snyder the owner.

14 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Caps have been a top team in the NHL pretty much for the most part of a decade, though.  I'm not sure if anything really magical happened this season......just ran into some unfortunate breaks in the playoffs in the past, or couldn't beat another great team in Pittsburgh a few years.  Things just happened to break right this season, and heck, this is Trotz's fourth season here, so I'm not sure he did anything special in comparison to his other three seasons in DC

Lazy comment and I'm positive you don't watch hockey as closely as you do football.  That's fine.  Without turning this into a "This-Is-How-Awesome-The-Awesome-Caps-Are" thread, just google "Trotz Hot Lap".  (Also, take note of who started in goal during the 1st game of the playoffs.). This team was special for many reasons, but it started and ended with some of the most impressive coaching this city has ever seen. 

12 hours ago, dyst said:

I'm talking about football "schmuck" here. No one is asking for him to lose his life. We just don't want him as owner. He doesn't need to do an AMA his ownership speaks for itself. This isn't about Snyder the guy it's about Snyder the owner.

People's opinion of Snyder is not limited to his win-lose record, your post does add up to direction of our conversation. I want to know what he knew about cheerleading disaster and where he stood on giving kirk same contract as vikings did for example, or even public perception of Bruce.  We can't call him a liar because he rarely if ever talks publicly.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:06 AM, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

Lazy comment and I'm positive you don't watch hockey as closely as you do football.  That's fine.  Without turning this into a "This-Is-How-Awesome-The-Awesome-Caps-Are" thread, just google "Trotz Hot Lap".  (Also, take note of who started in goal during the 1st game of the playoffs.). This team was special for many reasons, but it started and ended with some of the most impressive coaching this city has ever seen. 

ABSOLUTELY.... 

After that, google search 'Tom Wilson Goes Crazy' and watch how emotional he got when Kuzy's jersey got spiked onto the ice.  That moment was one I'll never forget because one brother almost took on a ref in order to defend his brother and the jersey.  Coburn disrespected the logo and Wilson was not gonna let him get away with it.

After that Google search Capitals celebrate Georgetown.  Watch how these guys make their way around the DC metro area TOGETHER almost at all times to celebrate this.

Then take a look at the fact that through the playoffs we had Wilson suspended as well as Backstrom and Kuzy missing time.  We also had shifting of lines as well as Trotz being a wizard with his line changes and roster manipulation.   He pulled a lot of the right strings... 

It was just nice to finally see a championship come back to this town.. any championship.

Hopefully it lights a fire under the team and they come out swinging this year. I could only imagine the madhouse DC would be if the skins actually won a sb..

Although the caps have had their hearts broken for years now, glad to see they finally got one.

we've had our hearts broken year after year as well, but not from crushing playoff losses.. from year after year of suckitude.

^ we’ve had our share of crushing playoff losses too though. All 3 games against Seattle? Shoulda won AT LEAST one of them. That game against the packers, we were up 11-0 in the first quarter before Rodgers started going god mode. Even after halftime we got a TD to put us up by 1, making the score 18-17. Idk about anyone else, but i was feeling like a win was going to come. Nope. We lost. 

Caps just released this statement about Trotz.  This totally compares to GMSMs departure :ols:

Barry Trotz informed the organization today of his decision to resign as head coach of the Washington Capitals. We are obviously disappointed by Barry’s decision, but would like to thank Barry for all his efforts the past four years and for helping bring the Stanley Cup to Washington. Barry is a man of high character and integrity and we are grateful for his leadership and for all that he has done for our franchise.

First of all, the Caps winning effects nothing. The Caps have a very strong, very die-hard fan base. It's about 1/8 the size of the Redskins on a good day. Hockey is one of those sports that everyone loves for four weeks when the team is winning, and then never think about again. It will be used to throw shade at Snyder, but a lot of stuff can be used to embarrass Snyder.

By the way, does anyone but me think that the three biggest debacles of the Snyder Era have happened in the last 18 months or so.

1. The alkie GM debacle.

2. The Cousins' contract debacle

3. The "Hey, we've been lying to you about season tickets for 20 years" debacle.

Otherwise, it's a well-oiled machine.

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

First of all, the Caps winning effects nothing. The Caps have a very strong, very die-hard fan base. It's about 1/8 the size of the Redskins on a good day. Hockey is one of those sports that everyone loves for four weeks when the team is winning, and then never think about again. It will be used to throw shade at Snyder, but a lot of stuff can be used to embarrass Snyder.

By the way, does anyone but me think that the three biggest debacles of the Snyder Era have happened in the last 18 months or so.

1. The alkie GM debacle.

3. The "Hey, we've been lying to you about season tickets for 20 years" debacle.

I dont think the McCloughan situation is anywhere close to the Spurrier, Zorn and Schottenheimer debacles. But What do I know? 

Not sure if this town can handle winning.

The days following the Caps Stanley cup victory was amazing!!! This town was on fire!! 

But of course in DC fashion, the business side of things figure out a way to piss on it.

After winning the Stanley cup, the business side forces Barry Trotz to quit and sign with the ****ing Islanders. Un ****ing believable! All the business had to do, was tear up the contract extension and pay the man. But watch this **** blow up in the business' face. The fans will feel that ****!

Last year, Nats fans enjoyed another season of winning baseball. The playoffs didn't work out, I get that. But I look at them, like I look at the Caps. They just need a couple of breaks to go their way. It's just a matter of time. But to me, the Nats had a solid manager in Dusty Baker.

And yet again, in DC fashion, business decides "We need to get over the hump. Try someone new."

Hmm (????)

So what do they do?  They hire a guy that has never managed a big league game in his ****ing life.

404p1iivjrlk.gif.1bb2c4769db60501f12d074f3b1a8422.gif

The Nats are looking pretty crappy right now after the firing of Dusty (injuries or not). I think they'll be in a division race this year, but I don't have confidence they'll go deep in the playoffs (much less win a championship). 

Don't get me started with the Wizards. Of course, the Redskins have history of its own and is well documented in this forum.

Yea...this is a championship town. It was clear when the Caps won.

The business of sports in this town (what an oxymoron) is a problem.

HTTR!!

You realize Trotz had that deal in his contract to extend him for 2 years if he won a cup... reports are that we offered him a bigger deal but weren't willing to commit to 5 years and that was the disconnect.  Imho McClellan had a plan it was always to have rierden as the incumbant.  The team did something truly special this year that no honest person saw coming.

I've also seen reports that rierden had as much or more to do with the differences this year as he was in charge of the PP and the defense.

The Caps were in a lose lose situation.  If we throw 5 years for 20+ at Barry, then were pushing rierden out... the long term plan.  Trotz is 55 and there has been speculation that his time in the NHL is limited due to his personal life so who knows.  

I would have supported signing Trotz, dont get me wrong, but I cant call it a bad move til rierden, or who ever they name as coach, proves they aren't capable.  There is no guarantee Trotz takes us to another cup title either.

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

You realize Trotz had that deal in his contract to extend him for 2 years if he won a cup... reports are that we offered him a bigger deal but weren't willing to commit to 5 years and that was the disconnect.  Imho McClellan had a plan it was always to have rierden as the incumbant.  The team did something truly special this year that no honest person saw coming.

I've also seen reports that rierden had as much or more to do with the differences this year as he was in charge of the PP and the defense.

The Caps were in a lose lose situation.  If we throw 5 years for 20+ at Barry, then were pushing rierden out... the long term plan.  Trotz is 55 and there has been speculation that his time in the NHL is limited due to his personal life so who knows.  

I would have supported signing Trotz, dont get me wrong, but I cant call it a bad move til rierden, or who ever they name as coach, proves they aren't capable.  There is no guarantee Trotz takes us to another cup title either.

So he signs a 5 year $4 million/yr contract with the Islanders. Doesn't sound limited to me. That may have been the old fake news rearing its ugly head on that narrative. But like you said, Rierden could be the capable. But I remember when Ritchie Pettibon took over a SB winning Redskins team. He was said to be more than capable of taking over.

That went (in the words of another capable coach (Spurrier)).....

"no so good"  MzT7vUB.gif.65ca41f7af332b2e5b86bac61320559a.gif

18 hours ago, joeken24 said:

So he signs a 5 year $4 million/yr contract with the Islanders. Doesn't sound limited to me. That may have been the old fake news rearing its ugly head on that narrative. But like you said, Rierden could be the capable. But I remember when Ritchie Pettibon took over a SB winning Redskins team. He was said to be more than capable of taking over.

That went (in the words of another capable coach (Spurrier)).....

"no so good"  MzT7vUB.gif.65ca41f7af332b2e5b86bac61320559a.gif

Oh I remember... like I said, I would have supported signing Trotz, but I can see why the team is doin what they are doing.  Trotz is also the one who didn't want to play under an agreed upon contract.  I agree he is worth more than $1.8 mil, but he was still under contract for 2 seasons.   That's what makes me think that the team's plans were for Rierden, no matter what... we allowed him to walk without a fight.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:07 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

1. The alkie GM debacle.

3 on your list is an admission of having a problem, not the debacle itself.  It is in that way a positive step, not a negative one.  The other two I still think are on the clock as to whether they're just eyesores, or actual set-the-franchise-back-10-years type of failures.  I don't think player acquisition has been trash since Scott was shown the door (it's only been a hot minute, but still) and we haven't even played a Cousinsless down so...  too early to tell, IMO.

1 hour ago, Bifflog said:

3 on your list is an admission of having a problem, not the debacle itself.  It is in that way a positive step, not a negative one.  The other two I still think are on the clock as to whether they're just eyesores, or actual set-the-franchise-back-10-years type of failures.  I don't think player acquisition has been trash since Scott was shown the door (it's only been a hot minute, but still) and we haven't even played a Cousinsless down so...  too early to tell, IMO.

At the end of the day, whether Drunky Scot is the GM or Kirk is the QB doesn't matter. I don't care at this point. What's done is done.

The team handled both situations about as poorly as anyone could handle anything. That's the issue. The decision is either good or bad. Whatever.

The process in both cases was horrible and embarrassing and petty and just so so so Snyder.

I can't imagine Snyder had many breakups before he got married. But I'm sure all of them involved him, like, telling the apartment complex that the girl never registered her cat with them or something so incredibly petty.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, OVCChairman said:

Dan Snyder is a business man first. 

A very bad business man at that.

Seriously, he leveraged a cold-calling operation into a billion dollar sale at the height of the dot-com nonsense and was smart enough to leverage that con into a tangible asset.

He's had literally no other business successes in his life.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:35 PM, c slag said:

Would be nice for the Redskins to have the Capitals there for a game with the Stanley Cup and have a celebration 

But the Capitals will be in the beginning of training came / pre-season games at that time and possibly could not do it 

Great idea!

It should be easy to arrange. By tradition the Cup gets passed around through the team members. It travels to some interesting and far-flung places each year: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2018/06/16/stanley-cup-celebration-washington-capitals-nhl/707554002/

FedEx Field isn't that far off the beaten path. :ols:

27 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Great idea!

It should be easy to arrange. By tradition the Cup gets passed around through the team members. It travels to some interesting and far-flung places each year: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2018/06/16/stanley-cup-celebration-washington-capitals-nhl/707554002/

FedEx Field isn't that far off the beaten path. :ols:

They also did it at the Nats baseball stadium earlier this month 

I wish I could have been there

If they have it at Fed Ex I'm sure more people will buy tickets for the game

Archived