Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-Curse D.C. Sports Thread

Sticksboi05

38 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Not sure this is a sign of a curse.

Wizards were thr #11 seed and ended up with #10, that's fine, we don't deserve the #1 pick.

Caps reign wasn't indefinite, but they did get a ring at least during the Ovi era.

Curses don't jus turn back, we need some time to see if we are all stuck again.  In context that Mystics look like best team in WNBA, and could end up with two rings in the Della-Donne era jus like that.

But I really wanted to do a ritual sacrifice!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Yeah so....it's going to be a while before the next parade. Hope everyone attended while they could.

The Nationals have a path to being good with new ownership and the Soto package panning out. Capitals are reaching the end of this core's relevance but maybe they can squeak one more run out before rebuilding.

The NBA and NFL franchises will continue to be completely irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 2

Commanders and Wizards are mainly who I care about, and they are horrible. It is honestly puzzling how two franchises can continue to be so irrelevant for so long.

I am proud of the Capitals for winning that Stanley Cup, that was the first time I had even a remote semblance of excitement and pride for supporting a team. My excitement for them has waned over the years though. I still think hockey is a super cool sport.

I should add "first time" meaning first time in a long time in terms of a DC championship. I've had moments of excitement throughout my life - Terps winning the national championship in basketball being the main one - Skins winning the Super Bowl when I was a young lad being the other, along with various divisional crowns and whanot. Hoyas winning the Big East tournament a couple of years ago was pretty amazing. Few and far between though. DC has it rough.

Edited by abdcskins

What is this "post curse" time period of which you speak? Did you think the one shining willow-o'-the-wisp moment of a hockey championship would lead us from the outer-Mongolia of the parking lot furthest from the stadium of sports success all the way to the Mecca land of podiums and parades?  No, I suspect this willow-o'- the-wisp did as its legendary forefathers and lead us on a hopeless chase further and further from our desired destination and deeper into a hopeless swamp.  You did know DC is built on a swamp, right?

Edited by gbear
  • Like 1

I wasn’t able to go to the capitals parade (got back from Croatia the day of game 4, and had to fly back to CT for my summer internship the next day) and was only able to watch the 3rd period of game 5, but that was a great feeling when we won. Really got into hockey more after that Stanley cup run (moving back to the DC area after college really helped, since I could actually watch the games)

I was able to be at the nats parade, went with a friend and we smoked and drank the whole day in the streets with fellow nats fans. All around great time.

I think the caps could have one more run left in them. Went to this past Saturdays game Vs Montreal. Going to the upcoming Saturday game Vs the kings :D 

On 10/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, Sticksboi05 said:

I will never take those titles for granted. You just never know. D.C. sports looks SO different now than it did in Fall 2019. That's for damn sure.

Read this too fast, and was going to say that no, you absolutely should never take titties for granted 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Since the Nationals won the World Series:

COVID ruined our celebration season, and the Nationals sank to the bottom of the league.

The Redskins we're forced to change their name, Snyder has been embroiled in a litany of controversies, we still suck AND we're still stuck with him.

Eagles are 6-0, Phillies in the World Series.

Giants rebound to go 6-1. Mets win over 100 games.

Caps are back to one-and-done playoff appearances.

Wizards still suck.

Braves won the World Series.

frankenstein-its-alive.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At least things are changing. I know the last year was a bust with all teams missing the playoffs but there’s the bright side of it all.

New Caps Coach

New Wizards Front Office

New Commanders owner

Young Nationals team with prospects coming up.

It feels like things are gonna turn around for at least 2 of these teams but I’d bet on 3/4. Really the only thing that needs to happen at this point is the Nationals sale. Otherwise this is a brave new world for local teams.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/23/monumental-nationals-dc-bowser/

MSE executives have also talked to Virginia government officials about relocating the Capitals and Wizards from downtown D.C. to Northern Virginia, near Amazon’s new HQ2, according to three people with knowledge of the situation, who were not authorized to speak publicly about negotiations.

Edited by ixcuincle

Congrats to the local professional rugby club who made the playoffs for the first time, and beat defending champion Rugby New York.

Their next game is against New England, who had a bye this week and easily finished top of the Eastern Conference.

On 6/23/2023 at 1:22 PM, CobraCommander said:

7qd62p.jpg

Ted Leonsis won 3 titles though (Valor AFL team, Caps, Mystics)

15 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Congrats to the local professional rugby club who made the playoffs for the first time, and beat defending champion Rugby New York.

Their next game is against New England, who had a bye this week and easily finished top of the Eastern Conference.

Ted Leonsis won 3 titles though (Valor AFL team, Caps, Mystics)

It's just a meme, breh.

• Haha 1

Only one of those titles actually matters and he’s going to walk away from having an all time scorer with 1 title. Kind of like Indianapolis walked away from having Manning with 1 Super Bowl. 

He’s not an awful businessman or person like Snyder but he’s not a good owner.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

Only one of those titles actually matters and he’s going to walk away from having an all time scorer with 1 title. Kind of like Indianapolis walked away from having Manning with 1 Super Bowl. 

He’s not an awful businessman or person like Snyder but he’s not a good owner.

Or GB and Aaron Rodgers.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Or GB and Aaron Rodgers.

Probably not worth arguing about but I don’t place him in the same category as manning or ovechkin

he strikes me as difficult to win with. He’s always struck me as a diva etc