Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

Speaking of Ryan Kerrigan, it’s pretty amazing what he has done so late in his career. 

8 years in the league averaging 10 sacks per year and 3 forced fumbles avg each year. Just finished a 13 sack year.

He’s not pretty or sexy like the bigger names out there but the guy is good. Maybe not elite (I don’t know) but he is damn good.

Our LB's are not good without Foster. This might be a great front 4, but there is no FS, no CB1 and no standout ILB on the roster. The defense may well underperform relative to it's talent and the investments the team has made on that side of the ball. 

57 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Our LB's are not good without Foster. This might be a great front 4, but there is no FS, no CB1 and no standout ILB on the roster. The defense may well underperform relative to it's talent and the investments the team has made on that side of the ball. 

Agree and he's done for the year. So I mean another hole to this team that will probably look like Swiss cheese before the season starts. Who knows who's next as in injuries that is. 

27 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Agree and he's done for the year. So I mean another hole to this team that will probably look like Swiss cheese before the season starts. Who knows who's next as in injuries that is. 

It’s not entirely easy to grade your 3 dl when no lb on the team runs a 40 for anything but completion.

The problem is that we still have a lot of talent especially on defense until the next 3 or 4 season ending injuries. 

At this point I really don't even wonder if but only who.

It's really depressing rooting for this team.

Foster out and Brown on another team will take away a ton of speed at the ILB position. Not sure you can recover from that in the age of hybrid tight ends. Mason Foster is OK at one spot due to his run-stopping ability but you need speed, i.e. Vander Esch/Sean Lee/Jaylon Smith

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We are clearly just going to start Mason Foster and SDH. It’s nobody’s desired outcome, but it makes the most sense. I wish Holcomb would beat out Foster.

We need to pray that SDH becomes a star to make up for what we'll be lacking with Mason Foster. Mason Foster would probably be a really good football player if an NFL football field was half the regulation size. Unfortunately we're relying on yet another injury prone player here with SDH...  

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We need to pray that SDH becomes a star to make up for what we'll be lacking with Mason Foster. Mason Foster would probably be a really good football player if an NFL football field was half the regulation size. Unfortunately we're relying on yet another injury prone player here with SDH...  

SDH isn’t that type of player. He’s a heady guy that should be able to line up a defense and will always be in the right place at the right time. He’s never going to be someone opposing offenses have to account for. 

Its funny that in the Foster injury thread, people are talking about replacing him with Anderson, who is just as slow as Mason Foster.

I wonder if Josh Harvey Clemons might be ready for an expanded role when we are in our 4-2-5. I’d certainly give him a chance to win the spot next to SDH.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, Anselmheifer said:

We are clearly just going to start Mason Foster and SDH. It’s nobody’s desired outcome, but it makes the most sense. I wish Holcomb would beat out Foster.

I wish they would move Anderson inside. In my amateur opinion, I think he's better suited there.

I think Gates could develop, but he might need to put on weight.

JHC is someone I'm always wondering about.  I havn't heard his name mentioned ever as a potential FT starter at LB. Is he too much of a hybrid to fit in at either safety or LB, or does he have potential as a situational player ? I will be watching you, JHC. Watching every breath you take,

On 5/23/2019 at 12:41 AM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Bobby Wagner? Prime for the taking if you wanna pay. You would probably have to cut Norman and resign Scherff to make it work. He is a beast 4x1stTeamAllPro. Just playing a little Cerrato 🎼🎹🎧🎤🎺LoL.

I think this is a logical and needed move and takes our defense to the next level at just the right time. 

Wagner has been only slightly less healthy than prime London Fletcher. I’m the last 4 years he’s started 15, 16, 16 and 15 games. If we signed him to a long term contract that is essentially a 3 year deal, we’d have a chance to get out of the contract just as we were needing to resign our DL and Haskins. I would expect Wagner to still be super productive at age 30, 31, and 32, and if anything, he should be playing behind a better DL in washington than he did in Seattle. Who ever expected we could say something like that?

We would still probably need to add one very good to elite secondary player to account for the loss of Norman, but adding Wagner, a CB1, and a 1st round WR (Jeudy) could make us a team that could go deep into the playoffs every year with a 3rd year Dwayne Haskins. 

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wish they would move Anderson inside. In my amateur opinion, I think he's better suited there.

JHC is someone I'm always wondering about.  I havn't heard his name mentioned ever as a potential FT starter at LB. Is he too much of a hybrid to fit in at either safety or LB, or does he have potential as a situational player ? I will be watching you, JHC. Watching every breath you take,

I don’t think moving Anderson inside helps us at all in terms of filling Foster’s void. Anderson is too slow. No faster than Mason Foster. 

I love Ive the JHC thought and brought up something similar in another thread. If we are essentially running a nickel defense 70 percent of the time, a 4-2-5, our best case scenario might be that JHC really stands out and earns a huge chunk of playing time in that role. 

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t think moving Anderson inside helps us at all in terms of filling Foster’s void. Anderson is too slow. No faster than Mason Foster. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but for linebackers, isn't speed more important/necessary, for playing outside, rather than inside ?

If I'm correct on that, then it's a big reason I think he'd be better inside.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was listening to Cooley from this week or last and he was high on JHC and him getting a chance to increase his playing time. He's added like 20 or so pounds of good weight and the hope is he should be able to have a better chance holding up as a 3 down lb.

17 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I was listening to Cooley from this week or last and he was high on JHC

and ironically, that's why JHC dropped in the draft ; because he also, was high on...well, nevermind 😉

But seriously, I hope we find a way to utilize him. His height seems like it could be an asset in pass coverage.

As long as he could cover reasonably well, he'd have a high (no pun intended) chance, of batting down balls and intercepting.

Imagine him and Alexander would be great at defending Hail Mary passes in the end zone.

I was very intrigued by JHC when he came out - his length (6’4), long arms (35 3/8) and huge hands (10 3/8) really showed up in bringing down ball carriers.  He’s a good blend of size and speed/COD.  A little worried about adding 20lbs on top of fairly skinny legs, but hopefully it pays dividends.  At the very least, he offers some coverage ability and the speed/length to get to the outside - run stops and passes to the flat.  

Here’s what NFL.com had to say way back when:

STRENGTHS

Rangy, long frame with exceptionally long limbs. Arm length is what offensive line coaches look for in a tackle. Plays the game with edge and embraces physical requirement of the position. First responder who races downhill into the action. Rarely taps the brakes into his tackles. Square-up, wrap-up finisher. Took on blocks with aggressiveness and leverage when asked to play inside linebacker. His long arms help cast wide net as tackler. Rare athleticism for his size. Flips hips for instant change of direction as tackler or in coverage. Excellent range as a tackler. Plays faster than his timed speed. Communicative on the field. Balances attention between quarterback's eyes and assignments around him as two-deep safety. Quick to find coverage work after diagnosing play-action from the box. Adjusts coverage responsibilities based on scrambling direction of quarterback. 

WEAKNESSES

Skinny legs. Needs more discipline in playing with inside-out leverage in run support. Downhill GPS to running backs needs fine tuning. Tends to attack at angles under running back, forcing too many diving attempts on perimeter. Can be a little slow hustling back to high safety spot from disguised coverages. Deshaun Watson picked on him in coverage. From single-high position, needs anticipation and earlier response to throws. Will lose sight of deep responsibilities as high safety at times. Panics and grabs when he fears he's beaten. Needs to trust his length and recover speed more often. Dismissed from Georgia after three strikes, including failed marijuana tests.

SOURCES TELL US

"I love the athlete and the toughness, but he's a multiple-time (drug) tester on the college level. Those guys have a high rate of testing positive again. I need to do more background work on him but I really worry about suspensions for him." -- AFC North area scout

NFL COMPARISON

Kam Chancellor

BOTTOM LINE

Former five-star recruit with an alpha mentality who roams the field with swagger and undeniable intent as a tackler. Has elite size, length and athletic traits, and is a rangy tackler with the ability to cover and blitz. He could be considered by teams as a box safety or hybrid linebacker. 

-Lance Zierlein

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Here’s what NFL.com had to say way back when:

WEAKNESSES

Skinny legs. Needs more discipline in playing with inside-out leverage in run support. Downhill GPS to running backs needs fine tuning. Tends to attack at angles under running back, forcing too many diving attempts on perimeter. Can be a little slow hustling back to high safety spot from disguised coverages. Deshaun Watson picked on him in coverage. From single-high position, needs anticipation and earlier response to throws. Will lose sight of deep responsibilities as high safety at times. Panics and grabs when he fears he's beaten. Needs to trust his length and recover speed more often. Dismissed from Georgia after three strikes, including failed marijuana tests.

SOURCES TELL US

"I love the athlete and the toughness, but he's a multiple-time (drug) tester on the college level. Those guys have a high rate of testing positive again. I need to do more background work on him but I really worry about suspensions for him." -- AFC North area scout

NFL COMPARISON

Kam Chancellor

BOTTOM LINE

Former five-star recruit with an alpha mentality who roams the field with swagger and undeniable intent as a tackler. Has elite size, length and athletic traits, and is a rangy tackler with the ability to cover and blitz. He could be considered by teams as a box safety or hybrid linebacker. 

-Lance Zierlein

What does multiple time drug tester mean? He’s tested positive before?

Archived