Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

So i wanted to post this. It's a look at Matt Ryan's sacks through every game of the season. He has a sack rate of 7.1 which is pretty high and if you look below, it seems like different types of players are getting to him, which makes me think the Atl OL has a few weaknesses. 

Matt Ryan sacked by Chris Long for -4 yards. Penalty on Derek Barnett: Defensive Offside, 4 yards (no play)
Matt Ryan sacked by Jordan Hicks for -9 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Fletcher Cox for -8 yards. Penalty on Derek Barnett: Defensive Offside, 5 yards (no play)
Matt Ryan sacked by Chris Long and Fletcher Cox for -8 yards. Matt Ryan fumbles (forced by Chris Long), recovered by Alex Mack at ATL-15
Matt Ryan sacked by Fletcher Cox for -7 yards
Chris Long - Position: DE - 6-3, 270lb (190cm, 122kg)
Jordan Hicks  (Simba) - Position: OLB - 6-1, 236lb (185cm, 107kg)
Fletcher Cox - Position: DT - 6-4, 310lb (193cm, 140kg)

Matt Ryan sacked by Marcus Davenport for -7 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Cameron Jordan for -2 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Cameron Jordan for -6 yards
Marcus Davenport - Position: DE - 6-6, 265lb (198cm, 120kg)
Cameron Tyler Jordan - Position: DE - 6-4, 287lb (193cm, 130kg)

Matt Ryan sacked by Geno Atkins for -5 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Carlos Dunlap for -4 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Carl Lawson for -9 yards. Matt Ryan fumbles (forced by Carl Lawson), recovered by Brandon Fusco at ATL-28. Penalty on Carl Lawson: Roughing the Passer, 15 yards (no play)
Matt Ryan sacked by Carl Lawson for -7 yards
Geno Renard Atkins Jr. - Position: DT - 6-1, 300lb (185cm, 136kg)
Carlos Dunlap - Position: DE - 6-6, 280lb (198cm, 127kg)
Carl Lawson - Position: DE - 6-2, 265lb (188cm, 120kg)

Matt Ryan sacked by L.J. Fort for -7 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by T.J. Watt for -4 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by T.J. Watt for -9 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Jonathan Bostic and Cameron Heyward for -5 yards. Penalty on Jonathan Bostic: Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by T.J. Watt for -8 yards. Matt Ryan fumbles (forced by T.J. Watt), recovered by L.J. Fort at ATL-0, touchdown
Larry Fort Jr. - Position: LB - 6-0, 232lb (183cm, 105kg)
Trent Jordan Watt - Position: OLB - 6-4, 252lb (193cm, 114kg)
Jonathan Earl Bostic II - Position: LB - 6-1, 245lb (185cm, 111kg)
Cameron Phillips Heyward - Position: DE - 6-5, 295lb (196cm, 133kg)

Matt Ryan sacked by Jason Pierre-Paul for -8 yards
Jason Andrew Pierre-Paul  (JPP) - Position: DE - 6-5, 275lb (196cm, 124kg)

Matt Ryan sacked by Kerry Wynn for -5 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by B.W. Webb for -12 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Lorenzo Carter for -6 yards
Matt Ryan sacked by Mario Edwards for -7 yards. Penalty on Eli Apple: Defensive Holding, 5 yards (no play)
Kerry Wynn - Position: DE - 6-5, 264lb (196cm, 119kg)
William Wilson Webb - Position: CB - 5-11, 190lb (180cm, 86kg)
Lorenzo Carter - Position: DE - 6-5, 250lb (196cm, 113kg)
Mario Edwards Jr. - Position: DE - 6-3, 280lb (190cm, 127kg)

It seems like the edge has been the primary weakness, but Cox and Atkins make me think there's something up the middle as well. Then a few guys got there on blitzes. Plus, you can look at the fumbles and see there's potential for turnovers here too. 

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I have a feeling that Tomsula will be a DC for another team next year.

Nooooo..please don't say that...I've been pondering that during our recent little #shhhhh winning streak... which coaches might we lose during the upcoming off season 

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Nooooo..please don't say that...I've been pondering that during our recent little #shhhhh winning streak... which coaches might we lose during the upcoming off season 

Ok tater baker, then I won't mention the possibility of losing Torrian Gray as a DC to someone else

Opposing team GM's and coaches don't read threads like this, and top of that, put a lot of stock in them, do they ? ;)

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ok tater baker, then I won't mention the possibility of losing Torrian Gray as a DC to someone else

Opposing team GM's and coaches don't read threads like this, and top of that, put a lot of stock in them, do they ? ;)

that's the first name that popped into my head too

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I wonder if Tomsula has the Bill Callahan stigma after the HC debacle in SF. Just a position coach? Hopefully?

Callahan's reason is cuz he loves working for Jay.

And everybody will say that everybody loves Jay,

So it's reasonable to say, that Tomsula loves Jay and he will stay.

Well, everybody except McVay.

^

If you say that with the right rhythm, you can rap it.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Callahan's reasoning is because he loves working for Jay.

And everybody will say that everybody loves Jay,

So it's reasonable to say, that Tomsula loves working with Jay and he will stay.

Well, everybody except McVay.

^

If you say that with the right rhythm, you can rap it.

It could also work as a Dr. Suess Book.

it also fits

3Vxk.gif

tumblr_inline_mochy2W8gZ1qz4rgp.gif

So maybe I'm being a little premature saying this, but Da'Ron Payne is well on his way to becoming an elite player.

I've been watching cutups of him all morning and the guy affects football games. And the best part is, he's only 7 games into his career.

Can you imagine what the guy will look like with a year or two of seasoning under his belt? Him next to Jon Allen will be unstoppable monsters for years to come.

Payne was absolutely the right pick over Vea, hindsight being 20/20. But thank God the FO drafted this guy instead of Vea. I know there was a bunch of debate about the subject leading up to the draft, but SEC vs PAC 12 is no contest. I know everyone fell in love with Vea's measureables and size, but we all overlooked how sneaky good of an athlete Payne is. And the guy is soo flippin young as well.

This guy is well on his way to becoming an elite DL. I'm glad we took him over James.. another guy many were upset about.

14 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

The question of the thread was asked in June and it's safe to say that in October we can positively answer "YES" without a doubt!

Every time I see this thread get bumped I read the title and have to stop myself from immediately jumping in and saying something along the lines of "Yes, by far, how is this even a question, are you ****ing kidding me, step aside '85 Bears, Alabama Wall, etc."

Just now, CTskin said:

Every time I see this thread get bumped I read the title and have to stop myself from immediately jumping in and saying something along the lines of "Yes, by far, how is this even a question, are you ****ing kidding me, step aside '85 Bears, Alabama Wall, etc."

The exact opposite response to the WR thread. :ols:

and its Daron. 

I have a feeling Tomsula and Gray will be happy to be paid like coodinators at their respective positions and get to keeo coaching who they have. 

actually gray will be the one to leave, Tomsula has done the circus all the way up and down, he just wants to spit tobacco and yell at lineman to play bare ass naked. 

Gray on the other hand I could see him take off. 

4 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I have a feeling Tomsula and Gray will be happy to be paid like coodinators at their respective positions and get to keeo coaching who they have. 

actually gray will be the one to leave, Tomsula has done the circus all the way up and down, he just wants to spit tobacco and yell at lineman to play bare ass naked. 

Gray on the other hand I could see him take off. 

Pay them whatever they ask, Gruden needs these guys. Tomsula we all know is a one of a kind DL coach, but Gray has done nothing but impress me since he's been here. I forgot the guy we had just before him already, but he was absolutely trash. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Pay them whatever they ask, Gruden needs these guys. Tomsula we all know is a one of a kind DL coach, but Gray has done nothing but impress me since he's been here. I forgot the guy we had just before him already, but he was absolutely trash. 

I think at this point you have to keep Tomsula, we have now drafted a line that fits his system, so to let him go would be crazy. It could blow up in our face and all of a sudden studs are now duds. Gray, while yes he has really coached some players up, im not sure we can keep given the choice.  Snyder only going to pay so much for position coaches and you can only hold them back so much from moving up before you look like a dick and screw your chances at future hires. 

1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

I think at this point you have to keep Tomsula, we have now drafted a line that fits his system, so to let him go would be crazy. It could blow up in our face and all of a sudden studs are now duds. Gray, while yes he has really coached some players up, im not sure we can keep given the choice.  Snyder only going to pay so much for position coaches and you can only hold them back so much from moving up before you look like a dick and screw your chances at future hires. 

I agree, we need to keep Tomsula. It was a great hiring when we got him and everyone around here was excited about it. Snyder has deep pockets, so if he deems Gray as worthy enough for a hefty pay increase, I'm hoping he does it. If Gray gets an offer to be a DC somewhere (I think this is still a few years away), we should offer whatever the other team is offering and then some to keep him. Although technically I guess this is frowned upon to hold a coach back from upward mobility in the league. 

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I agree, we need to keep Tomsula. It was a great hiring when we got him and everyone around here was excited about it. Snyder has deep pockets, so if he deems Gray as worthy enough for a hefty pay increase, I'm hoping he does it. If Gray gets an offer to be a DC somewhere (I think this is still a few years away), we should offer whatever the other team is offering and then some to keep him. Although technically I guess this is frowned upon to hold a coach back from upward mobility in the league. 

Yes, it is and hes a minority candidate, so he will get interviews if we finish a top 5 defense. And Im not sure Dan has the deep pockets you think he has. He has tanked in everything he has done since AOL. He only has a current net worth of about 2.5 billion and that is generous. And by only I mean by billionaire status not you and I lol.

On 10/28/2018 at 7:40 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

I do too, they aren't good enough to beat a top line like the Saints line without sending more people. 

Agree, you can't let elite QB's sit back and pick you apart, because they will do just that. Timing is everything and I would like to see us get in their faces more.

I can't recall seeing Kerrigan lining up vs the LT as much as I did on Sunday.  I don't buy into the notion of being static on D, that an OLB has to bull rush the same OT the entire game, to be able to eventually beat them for the 4th quarter glorious sack.  Change it up when a guy is bringing his full arsenal and getting stuffed. Some guys just have other guys numbers, but you don't know if you don't try.

Archived