Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you see current society playing out? Headed towards Civil War Lite?

TheGreatBuzz

Figured this might be worth a bump considering the current pandemic.  I post this in the other thread but it seems like enough people are worried about food shortages.  This website sells those freeze-dried emergency prepairdness foods.  EVERY SINGLE ITEM is sold out.  In a country where everyone already hates everyone else, a food/water/medicine/essentials shortage could be a pretty big spark in the current pile of hay.

• TheGreatBuzz changed the title to How do you see current society playing out? Free Corona For Everyone!!!
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to pop back up.  I’m glad others have more faith in society holding it together than I do.

Yep.

I think we're done....

Just a matter of time.😣

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to pop back up.  I’m glad others have more faith in society holding it together than I do.

i liked the title change :ols:

i keep thinking of how most americans inc. me are dealing with this, and cuz i'm into contrasts as part of critical analysis, i remind myself of what misery, pain, and death without relief hundreds of thousands of refugees in syria have been living with daily for years in this world...or our own homeless population

best way to holds things together is to start with keeping yourself together best ya can and then spread it outward best ya can when you're able....doesn't hurt to keep a main focus on what's in the moment and to what level you're actually suffering now as opposed to steeping yourself in fear of "what's to come"...be aware, plan, prepare best you can, but work to avoid catastrophizing and ruminating on what you can't control...

it takes effort and commitment to manage emotions--esp fear---but also be patient when ya do take a dive into despair if ya do such...embrace it for a short time, see it for the real and reasonable reaction it is, and then get back on the horse or moped and, as lone watie passed it onto josey wales, "endeavor to persevere" 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i liked the title change :ols:

Thanks.  I thought it was catchy.

7 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i keep thinking of how most americans inc. me are dealing with this, and cuz i'm into contrasts as part of critical analysis, i remind myself of what misery, pain, and death without relief hundreds of thousands of refugees in syria have been living with daily for years in this world...or our own homeless population

I wish our average citizen was this hard.  But our society is made up of mostly softies.  And idiots.  I'd be shocked if in a week, we aren't seeing riots in NYC or San Fran or somewhere like that.

There is a meme going around that I like.  Something to the effect of "Your grandparents went off to a foreign war.  You're being asked to sit on your couch.  You can handle this."  And I'm not sure we can.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thanks.  I thought it was catchy.

I wish our average citizen was this hard.  But our society is made up of mostly softies.  And idiots.  I'd be shocked if in a week, we aren't seeing riots in NYC or San Fran or somewhere like that.

There is a meme going around that I like.  Something to the effect of "Your grandparents went off to a foreign war.  You're being asked to sit on your couch.  You can handle this."  And I'm not sure we can.

But, if we're too lazy to get off our couch, doesn't that means we're too lazy to riot? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

But, if we're too lazy to get off our couch, doesn't that means we're too lazy to riot? 

unless the internet goes down, then all bets are off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can see some good coming from this.

It's been a while since every single one of us was this widely affected by the same thing, some of the quarantine videos circulating online in different countries don't need know different languages to understand.

We haven't even gotten to what this has started to do to the environment, some the data coming in is pretty incredible.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I can see some good coming from this.

It's been a while since every single one of us was this widely affected by the same thing, some of the quarantine videos circulating online in different countries don't need know different languages to understand.

We haven't even gotten to what this has started to do to the environment, some the data coming in is pretty incredible.

Maybe we all will eventually be affected.  But judging by the number of people ignoring social distancing, not enough are feeling the effects.  And once they do, how will they respond?

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe we all will eventually be affected.  But judging by the number of people ignoring social distancing, not enough are feeling the effects.  And once they do, how will they respond?

Good question.  So far a lot of these spring breakers that caught it are online warning others.  

As for the economic impact, it really depends on how the government helps hold folks over until the scientist say we can cut back on the social distancing.  

We going to have to get through the first spike first, enough people in their houses watching this on tv, the overall opinion may change for the remaining folks not taking this seriously.

I'm more worried about folks not being able to eat than being told they can't go to the bar, but we have way more programs in place for that then before the start of the great depression.  We don't have to make as much from scratch as FDR had to, at least in this country.

Edited by Renegade7

51 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

How the **** is the Union going to stay together after this?

Maybe I'm hopeful, maybe I'm naive, maybe I just tend to take a longer historical view of things than others but I don't think it is as dire as some do. Yes, there is going to be a lot of disruption and yes, there are going to be huge numbers of dead, but I gotta tell ya, that doesn't keep me awake at night. Same as it ever was, the species has weathered this before with far fewer resources. America as we know it (or think it) is over but here's the rub, it didn't die from corona. This country lost it's way decades ago, we've just been running on built up fat and momentum for a long time. A cascade of crises, environmental, economic, biological, psychological, take your pick, there is a whole succession of waves coming at us. Wrecking the greedocratic structure built on the degradation of nature, the massive over consumption of fossil fuels, the insane wealth inequality, and the short-sighted selfishness of IGMFY is a good thing. Just not gonna be an easy thing.

Same as it ever was.....

People that can and will cooperate and coordinate into effective societal structures will go on. The ineffective selfish types will eat each other until they boil themselves down to some crazed dystopian Mad Max scenario. Then the surviving societies will have to gird their loins and wipe them out to reclaim lost territories. Then you repopulate and move on, hopefully with some sense of what not to do next time.

This is a common theme in movies, novels, etc., but it is actually based on realities we have been through before. The Black Plague set off a spiral of dissolution, the monarchial war raged through Europe for centuries, spawning roving bands of brigands trained under the colors of one house or another. Colonial wars broke the ass of the Spanish Empire, fascism rose around the world, growing on the corpses of WWI. History is the echoes of the dead. So much of history can be boiled down to one simple lesson, "Don't be THAT guy!" It's just time for mankind to face another testing cycle, an elimination round that leaves the survivors more enlightened. The main difference this time is that EVERYONE is playing now, there is nowhere to hide and ride it out. 

You can't opt out, the rules are harsh and unforgiving, you have to decide if you have the strength and sacrifice to prevail, but there is a winning move.

Wanna Play A Game GIFs | Tenor

• Sad 1

Don't watch news on TV, and as @twa mentioned hope internet won't go down :ph34r:

I believe we will recover from this pandemic. As far back as we can go back in time, civilizations have had to deal with various epidemic outbreaks, which have often lasted for several years such as the bubonic plague, spanish flu, etc....

We must be careful using TV medias, internet, especially social networks, which can be a source of manipulation.

We will win this battle, but it's going to cost a significant effort both individualy and collectively.

This is the chinese character meaning "crisis" and also "opportunity". Opportunity to learn our lessons, to make a change, and to get better for the greater good.

Crise+en+chinois.jpg

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

believe we will recover from this pandemic. As far back as we can go back in time, civilizations have had to deal with various epidemic outbreaks, which have often lasted for several years such as the bubonic plague, spanish flu, etc....

It’s worth noting that while humanity certainly survived thos events, the societies that were hit didn’t come out together the way they went in.  I see the same thing happening here.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It’s worth noting that while humanity certainly survived thos events, the societies that were hit didn’t come out together the way they went in.  I see the same thing happening here.   

I understand, my point being it's time to make a change. Ultimately time will tell.

8 hours ago, FrFan said:

I understand, my point being it's time to make a change. Ultimately time will tell.

There's probably a good number of people that believe this is the moment where society may finally reset itself, the 99% will finally get their pound of flesh from the 1%, that "the great equalizer" is upon us, etc.

Not a chance.  There will always be the haves and the have nots.  The most intelligent people will rise to the top, earn the most, and have the most political control.  If anything, this unprecedented situation will cause the United States to become more self reliant, less accommodating to foreigners, and less likely to offer international assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

What little data exist point to a financial tsunami for younger workers. In a new report, Data for Progress found that a staggering 52 percent of people under the age of 45 have lost a job, been put on leave, or had their hours reduced due to the pandemic, compared with 26 percent of people over the age of 45. Nearly half said that the cash payments the federal government is sending to lower- and middle-income individuals would cover just a week or two of expenses, compared with a third of older adults. This means skipped meals, scuppered start-ups, and lost homes. It means Great Depression–type precarity for prime-age workers in the richest country on earth.

Recessions are not good for anyone, from infants to the elderly. Nor are pandemics. Americans born during this calamity will be more likely to have low birth weights and to be in poor health generally, with lifelong effects. Children will not just endure this trauma—manifested in lost months of schooling, skipped meals, housing volatility, and increased abuse—but will carry it with them. Zoomers graduating into the recession will die sooner because of it, suffering increased incidence of heart disease, lung cancer, liver disease, and drug overdoses in the coming decades; they will also earn less over the course of their lives. The elderly are likely to be the most economically insulated group but are facing the most terrifying health consequences.

It seems we're on a course for a late-Soviet style collapse of confidence with "deaths of despair" from alcohol, opioids, suicide, etc.

demographic-picture.png

• 1 month later...

UFO Conspiracy Theorists Offer 'Ascension' From Our Hell World for $333

Standing in his warmly-lit living room, the popular UFO conspiracy theorist David Wil**** was telling his YouTube Live audience that the "Illuminati Deep State" was responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic and that he knew the secrets of how to save humanity from the crisis. More than 20,000 people were watching; hundreds of dollars in donations began rolling in via YouTube Superchat. The video now has more than a million views.

Just over a week later, Wil****’s comrade in arms, Corey Goode, posted a video claiming, nonsensically, that according to briefings he has received from government insiders, the new coronavirus was engineered as a “biological weapon from an American university” and smuggled into China by a student in order to act as a population control tool. He concluded by stating that he wasn’t sure if his source was totally accurate.

There is nothing novel about two conspiracy theorists addressing COVID-19; the crisis has become a bonanza for those promoting hoaxes, fake treatments, xenophobia, and general nonsense. Wil**** and Goode, though, offer something different than the average figure ranting about 5G towers; they're significant figures in the “disclosure community,” a conspiracy-driven New Age segment of the UFO subculture that believes the government is hiding the truth about extraterrestrials. Combined, the two men have over half a million followers across various social media platforms. And while both had humble beginnings as ordinary UFO conspiracy theorists, this moment may uniquely suit them. They claim, after all, to have become quasi-divine prophets offering salvation from global cataclysm—all while offering aggressive legal challenges to anyone who would do so much as describe Wil****, a man who has started what for all intents and purposes appears to be his own religion, as a spiritual leader.

Wil**** and Goode first partnered several years ago, promoting each other's wild narratives. Their 2019 documentary The Cosmic Secret tells the tale of a global catastrophe which, according to what Wil**** describes as his telepathic communications with alien beings, will happen soon. The end of the world, more specifically, will be the result of a “global pole shift.” (While Earth’s poles have shifted and do undergo minute changes over periods of thousands of years, mainstream geomagnetists aren’t concerned that a global cataclysm will occur any time soon.) 

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...