What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

On 8/21/2018 at 12:47 PM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I thought it was a money thing.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, CTskin said:

because he got $7.1M/yr... Knowing the guys we'll need to re-sign, we couldn't take that plunge.

@redskinss, I wrote Cowboys C, but meant LG.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:08 PM, JSSkinz said:

They didn't think he was worth the $6.5M per year.

I don't think he was worth that much either.

Last year, if I remember correctly, he was hurt much of the year, and when he was healthy, he wasn't what I would call "spectacular".

Question is, what made, him, his agent, and the Jets think he was worth that much ?

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think he was worth that much either.

Last year, if I remember correctly, he was hurt much of the year, and when he was healthy, he wasn't what I would call "spectacular".

Question is, what made, him, his agent, and the Jets think he was worth that much ?

His deal is essentially 1 year for $6.5 mil.  Nothing after the 1st year is guaranteed.  Hes a stop gap option that will likely be back on the market in the next 2 years.  

Hes versatile. He can play Center or Guard which gives him some value.  I actually was in the camp that I would have been ok with is bringing him back as depth, and because he controlled the protection packages along the line.

2 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Phil Taylor has been looking pretty darn solid, and we probably don't have a roster spot for him. Is he tradeable to some team with a good backup G? There's got to be a team out there looking for a strong interior DL

Due to Taylor's age and injury history, fetching anything for him is highly unlikely, and if we did get something for him it wouldn't be someone we would start ahead of Lauvao.   

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Due to Taylor's age and injury history, fetching anything for him is highly unlikely, and if we did get something for him it wouldn't be someone we would start ahead of Lauvao.   

I don't think we could trade for an immediate starter, but teams have some tough decisions to make next week. Perhaps a promising young G that some team would like to move to their practice squad, but could really use Taylor now.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ha, at first I thought you were going to suggest MOVING Phil to LG

I was gonna laugh right along with you, but I'm starting to think he definitely be an upgrade ?

16 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I don't think we could trade for an immediate starter, but teams have some tough decisions to make next week. Perhaps a promising young G that some team would like to move to their practice squad, but could really use Taylor now. 

One possibility could be a trade with the 49ers, Taylor for Joshua Garnett.  Garnett has the pedigree, he is a former first rounder, but is a poor fit in shanahans zbs.  I know he dropped a lot of weight this off-season to better acclimate, so not sure how effective he would be this year, but a full year to add some more bulk and Callahan's tutelage, we may be looking at a cheap way to get a solid option for 2019.

The 49ers are a 3-4 team with two studs in Buckner and armstead at de.  They have Mitchell at NT, but Taylor would be a solid piece of a rotation.

Article also mentions chance warmack, but he hasn't panned out for a couple teams already, and he is an eagle, who I would be less thrilled with trading with.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2792278-2018-nfl-roster-bubble-biggest-names-who-could-be-cut.amp.html

Giants trade center Brett Jones to the Vikings for a 7th rounder

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2018/8/26/17784224/ny-giants-trade-center-brett-jones-minnesota-vikings-news-jon-halapio

Take this rankings lists with a grain of salt, but Brett Jones was ranked ahead of Ryan Kelly, pat elflein, and Ryan Kalil

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754255-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-centers-of-2017-season#slide5

I know the Giants would be hesitant to trade with a division rival like the skins, but getting Jones for a 7th rounder and starting him at center and moving roullier to guard, maybe not right away but when jones gets comfortable with line calls, would have me feel a lot better about our offensive line.  I hope the skins are working the phones for these opportunities.   

5 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Anybody know anything about him?  

82. Earl Watford, Arizona Cardinals

Pass Protection: 10/25
Run Block: 11/25
Power: 16/20
Agility: 14/20
Position Value: 7/10
Overall Grade: 58/100

It's easy to see why Earl Watford keeps getting chances, as he has intriguing flashes with his length, play strength and ability to fire out of a stance and hit a landmark out in space. But he is way too inconsistent from a technical standpoint, especially from the hip down with his footwork, to be relied on. And after three years of not seeing growth there, it's hard to believe it will ever come.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755358-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-offensive-guards-of-2017-season#slide2

Ranked pretty low on this list.  Callahan may be able to work with him for improvement, but being two weeks away from the opener, I don't see the skins going after him.  He probably isn't any better than kalis right now, and kalis is younger and has been working in our system.  

34 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Ranked pretty low on this list.  Callahan may be able to work with him for improvement, but being two weeks away from the opener, I don't see the skins going after him.  He probably isn't any better than kalis right now, and kalis is younger and has been working in our system.  

One possible upside to signing him ahead of the opener would be to get the playbook for ARI :) 

6 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

On the AP runs, I thought Lauvao blocked pretty well.  On a pull, when his shoulders were perpendicular to the line, he got creamed and allowed the defender to stop the run.  But the power blocks looked good, and a couple runs Lauvao looked great.  Maybe there's hope?

https://www.redskins.com/video/every-adrian-peterson-carry-preseason-week-3

I don't think Lauvao is as bad as many make him out to be.  The Rams game last year comes to mind where he was blocking really well.  The problem is he is injury prone, and our depth at guard is razor thin.  But if he stays healthy, LG won't he as bad as many fear.  And as casserly said, if left guard is your biggest problem, you go 11-5. 

That being said, I'm still hoping to add a quality guard over the next week to challenge/supplant him. 

11 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't think Lauvao is as bad as many make him out to be.  The Rams game last year comes to mind where he was blocking really well.  The problem is he is injury prone, and our depth at guard is razor thin.  But if he stays healthy, LG won't he as bad as many fear.  And as casserly said, if left guard is your biggest problem, you go 11-5. 

That being said, I'm still hoping to add a quality guard over the next week to challenge/supplant him. 

I think its safe to assume we can't depend on him remaining healthy. It would be wise for us to look long and hard for OG depth that is of starter quality if/when Lauvao goes down.

13 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

On the AP runs, I thought Lauvao blocked pretty well.  On a pull, when his shoulders were perpendicular to the line, he got creamed and allowed the defender to stop the run.  But the power blocks looked good, and a couple runs Lauvao looked great.  Maybe there's hope?

https://www.redskins.com/video/every-adrian-peterson-carry-preseason-week-3

In 2015, Lauvao started the first 3 games. We were a good rushing team against the first two opponents.

Lauvau is a liability on pass pro imo. If protection puts him 1 on 1 with a defender, there is a decent chance the defender gets by Lauvau without being touched/impeded. He is prone to bad foot work, leaning the wrong way. Like what Payne did to that guy for his sack 2 PS games ago, he can get juked and blown by to easily.

My problem isnt so much lauvau being the weak link in the starting 5 .. but the fact that we are 1 injury away from some serious reshuffling a la last year. If Lauvau goes down, Kalis comes in and maybe the drop off isnt so noticeable. If Scherff goes down, yesh. Lauvau-Roullier-Kalis = lost season. If trent goes down, a left side of Ty-Lauvau = serious problems. 

On 8/25/2018 at 8:39 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Ha, at first I thought you were going to suggest MOVING Phil to LG

Don't give me any ideas for a thread and poll...

Image result for thinking gif

On 8/27/2018 at 4:25 PM, David Smith said:

This reminds me of the Reed Doughty situation, if Reed Doughty was on your team it meant you had NO depth at safety. Having Lavao on the team is a sign we have no guards because he is barely a step above a dead man.

The problem wasn't that either was on the team, its that both of them have been starting.  Reed especially was a commendable role player, Lavao stepping in for a series or two if someone goes down is considerably better then depth we have at guard right now.

On 7/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, jsharrin55 said:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/116749-now-or-never-year-joshua-garnett/

So, I have been a big a fan of Kalis and think he can work into the line-up. However, I was a big fan of Garrett and this article intrigues me. He lost some weight to play in the ZBS, so maybe he sticks with 49ers. If he doesn't, I'd trade a pick to get his rookie contract and give him a shot.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:41 PM, KillBill26 said:

One possibility could be a trade with the 49ers, Taylor for Joshua Garnett.  Garnett has the pedigree, he is a former first rounder, but is a poor fit in shanahans zbs.  I know he dropped a lot of weight this off-season to better acclimate, so not sure how effective he would be this year, but a full year to add some more bulk and Callahan's tutelage, we may be looking at a cheap way to get a solid option for 2019.

The 49ers are a 3-4 team with two studs in Buckner and armstead at de.  They have Mitchell at NT, but Taylor would be a solid piece of a rotation.

Article also mentions chance warmack, but he hasn't panned out for a couple teams already, and he is an eagle, who I would be less thrilled with trading with.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2792278-2018-nfl-roster-bubble-biggest-names-who-could-be-cut.amp.html

On 8/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, bowhunter said:

That would be amazing. We could use a mauler

As posted earlier, I'd love to see it.  He's apparently gotten in great shape to attempt to fit the ZBS, but maintained his muscle mass.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/29/joshua-garnett-fighting-for-starting-job-and-maybe-just-a-job-in-san-francisco/

"With Garnett having a guaranteed salary of $1.3 million in 2018, there could be a desire to showcase Garnett for a last-minute trade before the requirement to cut the rosters from 90 to 53. If the 49ers end up having to pay him anyway, they may be inclined to keep him around."

image.gif

I hope the 'skins are watching very carefully league cuts this year. I think our starters can do the job, but after that we're really thin. We may only have one good guard on the entire roster (Sherff). Can we find a cut who is an upgrade to Bergstrom, Kalis, etc. It's not just Shawn that's a question mark, but the rest of the unit. I guess Ty is a fine back up and Christian might be one some day, but the rest?

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I hope the 'skins are watching very carefully league cuts this year. I think our starters can do the job, but after that we're really thin. We may only have one good guard on the entire roster (Sherff). Can we find a cut who is an upgrade to Bergstrom, Kalis, etc. It's not just Shawn that's a question mark, but the rest of the unit. I guess Ty is a fine back up and Christian might be one some day, but the rest?

The OG position NEEDS to be addressed (potentially multiple times) in next years draft.

Archived