Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

47 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What's the correlation between med school/blitz pickup?  Are all med school students adept at blitz pickups?

Everyone knows that med students block better and lawyers are better QBs. Its nature. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What's the correlation between med school/blitz pickup?  Are all med school students adept at blitz pickups?

You need to be smart to get good at blitz pickup usually. Like a smart center. I was saying the kid is mentally sharp so hopefully it translates easily into picking up the blocking schemes. Book smarts don’t always equal football smarts but he’s unusually sharp.

Biology and other pre med courses at Stanford are no joke. He wasn’t taking basket weaving.

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You need to be smart to get good at blitz pickup usually. Like a smart center. I was saying the kid is mentally sharp so hopefully it translates easily into picking up the blocking schemes. Book smarts don’t always equal football smarts but he’s unusually sharp.

Biology and other pre med courses at Stanford are no joke. He wasn’t taking basket weaving.

I was just being a smartass.  

11 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

You enjoy it while YOU can debbie downer weirdo comment

Really? That’s the best ya got. Exactly what’s weird, bruh? It’s fact. The guy is in his second year and has played...what? Four games? Obviously we would love to see him become a stud back for us for years. But reality is it’s probably not gonna happen with his track record.

1 minute ago, Doctorfro said:

Really? That’s the best ya got. Exactly what’s weird, bruh? It’s fact. The guy is in his second year and has played...what? Four games? Obviously we would love to see him become a stud back for us for years. But reality is it’s probably not gonna happen with his track record.

Really? Are you sure about that? One ACL and a minor meniscus procedure in the other knee is HARDLY something that correlates with being injury prone forever, its 2019, go through the list of NFL RBs who have had the exact same two procedures and ended up being injury prone. He never missed a game in high school or college. 

11 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Really? Are you sure about that? One ACL and a minor meniscus procedure in the other knee is HARDLY something that correlates with being injury prone forever, its 2019, go through the list of NFL RBs who have had the exact same two procedures and ended up being injury prone. He never missed a game in high school or college. 

That’s called wear and tear. Not all RBs are durable, especially ones who run like he does. AP is an exception. Two years, two significant injuries (and overuse injuries, not impact). That’s injury prone. Fact. If he makes it 20 consecutive games without sitting then maybe he’s reversed the curse. I would love nothing more than this to be our guy for the long run. So far, it’s not looking like he will be. Hope I’m wrong.

Perhaps no run quite described the tone the Redskins were trying to set like the nasty, jaw-dropping stiff-arm that Guice delivered on a 37-yard run in the fourth quarter. 

"It was crazy. Right before, [Guice] kept telling me, 'Man, nobody out there is talking noise. The only one that's been talking is Shaq [Thompson],'" Thompson said. "He just kept saying that every time he was coming off the sideline. He got his opportunity, and he was able to get his payback with that stiff-arm."

The second-year pro turned in easily the best game of his young career -- notching 129 yards on the ground on just 10 carries to go along with two touchdowns. The complete effort from Guice on Sunday is exactly what the Redskins have been waiting to see for close to two years. 

"It was just great to see that out of him," Thompson said. "That's what we saw at LSU. That's why he was considered to be the first running back drafted a couple of years ago. Plays like that and his angry run style. It was real good to see."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/chris-thompson-explains-why-redskins-rushing-attack-was-so-successful-win-over-carolina

Not sure how many saw the post game interview on the field with AP and Guice. That first TD by Guice was supposed to be AP. Coaches were sending AP out but he said go get yours. 

I will say I like us lining up for a run and pounding into the EZ for once instead of kicking a FG after going backwards 3 dns in a row. Twice, we had 1st and goal inside the 2. Both times they gave it to Guice and he went in for the TD> 

As some of you know, we have a ES Mock Draft every year before the regular draft. In 2018 I had the Redskins and drafted one Derrius Guice. Below is my write up right after our draft but before the Redskins actually drafted him. Games like yesterday were exactly what I saw coming if he stays healthy. Yesterday was not a fluke. He can keep having those games if he stays healthy. Love that he is being mentored by AP. Dude is a health freak. 

Guice represents a great combination of power and vision and adequate speed. He can create his own holes – something desperately needed with the Redskins o-line that seems to struggle opening running lanes. He also dishes out punishment when he hits people too, always leaning forward. He was slowed by an ankle in 2017. But just watch his tape against Notre Dame in the bowl game. He made them pay all game. This should give the running game the boost it needs and provide QB Alex Smith some much needed support. Something he got used to in KC.

32 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't know where I would put this...putting in this thread for no other reason than I was watching a Guice clip when I saw this clip lol...

Yeah, here in Richmond, we had a local NBC reporter pronounce Derrius Guice's last name as "juice". :806:

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

As some of you know, we have a ES Mock Draft every year before the regular draft. In 2018 I had the Redskins and drafted one Derrius Guice. Below is my write up right after our draft but before the Redskins actually drafted him. Games like yesterday were exactly what I saw coming if he stays healthy. Yesterday was not a fluke. He can keep having those games if he stays healthy. Love that he is being mentored by AP. Dude is a health freak. 

Guice represents a great combination of power and vision and adequate speed. He can create his own holes – something desperately needed with the Redskins o-line that seems to struggle opening running lanes. He also dishes out punishment when he hits people too, always leaning forward. He was slowed by an ankle in 2017. But just watch his tape against Notre Dame in the bowl game. He made them pay all game. This should give the running game the boost it needs and provide QB Alex Smith some much needed support. Something he got used to in KC.

Great write up. 

I couldn't draft him in the mock :( but he was probably my all time player on the draft thread leading to the draft.  I bought tickets to see the opener in Arizona that year just to see his debut alas though he got hurt.   My man crush the year before that was Dalvin Cook.  And I like the comparison of the two in part because their 40 time is identical (4.49) and both have great vision, and Cook was slowed down earlier in his career with an ACL tear like Guice.  But now he's tearing the league up as we speak.

My only disagreement with your assessment is the "adequate" speed part.  I think the dude has good speed.  Not elite speed but better than adequate IMO.  The thing about Guice was he was banged up in 2017 but was still good.  In 2016 he killed it and I think was comparable to Barkley.  Early in the draft process the Guice-Barkley argument was actually a thing.  Probably my favorite draft geek is Ledyard who was once with the Draft Network.  He among a minority of others actually liked Guice over Barkley.  I bring the two up together because it may sound silly to compare the two now because of Guice's early injury history and surprise fall in the 2018 draft.   But there was a time that it wasn't silly at all.

So i am with you on Guice.  I think if he stays healthy, he will be special.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/ledyards-final-2018-nfl-draft-positional-rankings-running-back

1. Derrius Guice, LSU - Early Round 1

All the traits you want in a back - power, elusiveness, vision, contact balance, burst and endurance - are part of Guice's repertoire, and he'll run through your face as willingly as he'll juke you out of your jock. He the best and most schematically diverse running back in this class, and his small body of work as a receiver suggests he can do more damage in that role at the next level. Guice is a structured runner who creates after contact and in space. If he lands behind an offensive line that is among the league's best an gets the opportunities, his skill set should translate quickly to the NFL.

[embed]https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/962045010731458561[/embed]

Ideal Scheme Fit: The best part about Guice is that he can run any scheme and still be effective, and he did so at LSU frequently. Heavy boxes, light boxes, he makes it all work. He can play all three downs and consistently made people miss as a receiver on tape, but he might not project to the heavy flex role that Barkley can play as a pass-catcher.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Great write up. 

I couldn't draft him in the mock :( but he was probably my all time player on the draft thread leading to the draft.  I bought tickets to see the opener in Arizona that year just to see his debut alas though he got hurt.   My man crush the year before that was Dalvin Cook.  And I like the comparison of the two in part because their 40 time is identical (4.49) and both have great vision, and Cook was slowed down earlier in his career with an ACL tear like Guice.  But now he's tearing the league up as we speak.

My only disagreement with your assessment is the "adequate" speed part.  I think the dude has good speed.  Not elite speed but better than adequate IMO.  The thing about Guice was he was banged up in 2017 but will still good.  In 2016 he killed it and I think was comparable to Barkley.  Early in the draft process the Guice-Barkley argument was actually a thing.  Probably my favorite draft geek is Ledyard who was once with the Draft Network.  He among a minority of others actually liked Guice over Barkley.  I bring the two up because it may sound silly to compare the two now because of Guice's early injury history and surprise fall in the 2018 draft.   But there was a time that it wasn't silly at all.

So i am with you on Guice.  I think if he stays healthy, he will be special.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/ledyards-final-2018-nfl-draft-positional-rankings-running-back

I remember at the time you and i were among the few really on him hard. Many others liked Barkley and Penny, with some also liking Chubb and Michel ahead of Guice. But for me I thought Guice was the best pure RB in the draft. Barkley is a little bit more athletic but Guice runs more physical. He would have gone right after Barkley had the garbage not come out during the draft. 

When i said adequate, my point was/is he does not have elite speed but he is fast enough. So I think we are saying basically the same thing. 

One knock on him from some draftniks was that he could not catch out of the backfield. That I believe is false. He was just never needed for that role. When he was - like against ND in the bowl game - he caught two TD passes. 

He just has to stay healthy. So far it's a fair criticism. He has been injured 3 yrs in a row going back to college. But i think this year was more a rehab injury. But time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I remember at the time you and i were among the few really on him hard. Many others liked Barkley and Penny, with some also liking Chubb and Michel ahead of Guice. But for me I thought Guice was the best pure RB in the draft. Barkley is a little bit more athletic but Guice runs more physical. He would have gone right after Barkley had the garbage not come out during the draft. 

When i said adequate, my point was/is he does not have elite speed but he is fast enough. So I think we are saying basically the same thing. 

One knock on him from some draftniks was that he could not catch out of the backfield. That I believe is false. He was just never needed for that role. When he was - like against ND in the bowl game - he caught two TD passes. 

He just has to stay healthy. So far it's a fair criticism. He has been injured 3 yrs in a row going back to college. But i think this year was more a rehab injury. But time will tell. 

It was a great draft for RBs that year, I liked a bunch of them.  I liked Barkley in that mix, too but it was clear we'd have no shot at him.  Also in 2017, I ironically talked up Bryce Love some but then alas he didn't enter that 2018 draft as expected.  It's cool to have both Guice and Love now.  Love actually I do think has elite speed.

But yeah agree on Guice having good hands.  If he stays healthy, I think we won't need that third down back as much anymore because Guice can do it all.  

As for the 2020 mock here, it should be fun especially at the RB position.  It's as loaded IMO as the 2018 group and probably deeper.  I don't always get a shot to draft my man crushes in the mock, depends on what happens in front of me.  But the RB position has been good to me regardless -- got Kamara in the 2017 mock (even though Cook was my bigger man crush on the thread).  P. Lindsey in 2018.   There are a slew of them I like in this draft.   Actually this draft is deep period.  I hope we can get a draft pick for Trent because I see the first and 2nd round in 2020 to be mega loaded. 

8 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Today guice apparently had to be told what is and isn’t appropriate to tweet 😂 he tweeted “sorry Ron Rivera” with the news of Rivera being fired. Minutes later he deleted the tweet because he was advised to. 

We must have or be closing in on the record for most coaches fired after losing to us in season....  🙂 

24 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

We must have or be closing in on the record for most coaches fired after losing to us in season....  🙂 

Yep. Remember rob Ryan, our current linebackers coach? We got him fired TWICE (2012 after the season, cause Dallas lost to us twice that year, and 2015 after we destroyed the saints 47-14😂😂

52 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. Remember rob Ryan, our current linebackers coach? We got him fired TWICE (2012 after the season, cause Dallas lost to us twice that year, and 2015 after we destroyed the saints 47-14😂😂

Oh there is more than that... Ravens have done it twice!!  LOL  Mark Trestment (2016) and Cam Cameron (also in 2012 like Rob Ryan! lol). 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/baltimore-ravens/ravens-fire-oc-marc-trestman-following-dismal-offensive-performance-vs-redskins

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/10/3750850/cam-cameron-fired-baltimore-ravens

So that's 5 firings since 2012 that I can count. 

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Oh there is more than that... Ravens have done it twice!!  LOL  Mark Trestment (2016) and Cam Cameron (also in 2012 like Rob Ryan! lol). 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/baltimore-ravens/ravens-fire-oc-marc-trestman-following-dismal-offensive-performance-vs-redskins

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/10/3750850/cam-cameron-fired-baltimore-ravens

So that's 5 firings since 2012 that I can count. 

Chip Kelly, too lol...

Archived