Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

8 hours ago, Doctorfro said:

Ok, Lady. Whatever. You don’t get it and, frankly, I’m not surprised. If we keep counting on this guy being healthy and playing, we could be wasting time and end up calling up someone from the practice squad or signing someone off the street. 

We should draft another RB, Love might be 100% next year also. Drafting another RB, love hopefully healing, Guice and some UDFAS in camp - this should all happen and should happen regardless of whether Guice sprained his knee or not. 

If you are saying we should weigh drafting an RB more heavily as a position of need in the first 3 rounds over any of the other positions available because Guice sprained his knee I would say I'm glad you aee not in charge of the draft. 

It sounds like that is what you are trying to say. 

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I am normally in lockstep with you. But he has shown nothing except he is injury prone. He has 42 carries in 2 seasons man.

He’s sprained his MCL. It’s a relatively minor injury as knee injuries go. 3 to 4 weeks recovery given it’s not ruptured.

i get the legitimate concern about his durability. But this latest injury will have no impact on his availability for next season nor is it an injury that will impact his explosion or ability to change direction the way an ACL can in the first year after recovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes averaging what? Game every year or two? If you're not playing, you're not in the conversation. Guise is injury prone and a liability 

This goes to my earlier point - he’s only a liability if they let him be one.  
To clarify, usually you’d look at a guy like Smallwood and say he is fine as our number 4... the problem is with Thompson often injured, Smallwood was a major contributor.  Similar to Logan Paulsen as our number 3.... sounds fine until you consider he’ll probably be our number 2 for a chunk of games.
With Guice, I think you have to approach it the same way.  With AP’s age, Love coming off major injury (though he will have had plenty of time to heal), and Thompson a FA (and not a guy you want carrying the ball), they do need to draft a promising guy.  

I’d go for a mid to late round guy (along with bringing in an UDFA or two) and then the following year you go back to the well when AP is gone.  

• Like 2

@skinny21

1000% agree with your response. Teams must always have back up plans and developing guys behind starters. I fully support Skins drafting a back in the 4th-6th rounds next year or pick up a solid veteran, there’s a plethora of them out there, not ready to invest a higher level draft pick (not to say you were). I guess the conversation comes down to what degree do you want to plan around the fact of him experiencing injuries. 

I definitely am on the extreme end with injuries and believe many of them are fluke type situations and will happen to the majority, especially RBs and like to look at the specific injury on its own. For example, this recent knee injury was bad fortune, as the hit was perfectly timed to when his weight transferred to that knee/leg.

One could argue the positive of him not experiencing a more significant knee injury due to his durability, but that gets in too much gray area for most. 

To your point though, Id always have a stock full of RBs, due to the sheer violence the position requires a RB to take on each game, especially a power back. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes averaging what? Game every year or two? If you're not playing, you're not in the conversation. Guise is injury prone and a liability 

You’re right and an FO wouldn’t necessarily be wrong in using resources to ensure a backup plan (this should take place, no matter what). It comes down to how aggressive you want to be. 

Would you support the Skins taking an RB in the 2nd (if a trade provided a 2nd round pick next year) or 3rd round? Are you saying to cut ties with him? 

Im not ready to invest serious resources to the RB position. A back in the 4th-6th round I’m good with, bringing back AP as the backup power back, and practice squad back. 

11 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Not sure I’ve seen anyone advocating to get rid of him (although around here, I’m sure someone is....) BUT, it would certainly be prudent to acknowledge his recent history and make proactive accommodations for “just in case”, “what if”, etc.  

I agree 100%. 

What resources are you willing spend to make accommodations. For example, I’m okay with drafting a back in the 4-6th round or bringing a power back just off his rookie deal from another team. 

Edited by wit33
12 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Sure, we had Davis backing up Reed, but we didn’t try to find another special, starting caliber TE and instead filled out the roster with Logan Paulsen, Sprinkle, or whoever.  I’m not trying to knock Sprinkle here, but we could have worked on developing a good pass catching TE at the same time.  We never really tried to find a stud to pair with Thompson and instead counted on Bibbs, Marshall and Smallwood.  To be fair, draft picks/assets are limited, but we also shouldn’t have considered those positions settled.  

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

I disagree here. I think we have brought in players, particularly at TE but also at RB. Not all pro players but guys we could develop: 

- JP Holtz, Flanagan, Cunningham (who I really thought had potential as a receiving TE but he got injured). 

Heck, even Sprinkle from a measurements standpoint looks like he could develop into this role.

Injuries haven't really been a big factor this year but if you look at the guys we have had injured at TE its a long list. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I disagree here. I think we have brought in players, particularly at TE but also at RB. Not all pro players but guys we could develop: 

- JP Holtz, Flanagan, Cunningham (who I really thought had potential as a receiving TE but he got injured). 

Heck, even Sprinkle from a measurements standpoint looks like he could develop into this role.

Injuries haven't really been a big factor this year but if you look at the guys we have had injured at TE its a long list. 

You know, I thought about this when typing my post.  It isn’t exactly fair for me to say they haven’t addressed the position(s).  On the other hand, we (the board) had a similar discussions on whether guys like McGee, Paea, McClain, Hood, etc. counted as ‘addressing’ the dline.  Cheap FAs and UDFAs are fliers, but they’re like playing the claw machine - you might get lucky every once in a while, but most likely you just wasted a quarter.    Now, bringing in UDFAs is a cheap way to fill your depth and develop young guys via the PS - I’m certainly not knocking bringing them in.  
Point being though, you can’t rely on Guice (though I love the dude), AP is a 2 down back, Love is a question mark (I’m a big fan) and Thompson a FA.  ‘Addressing’ the position by just bringing in UDFAs or journeyman backs isn’t a great idea IMO because can they go from a guy to develop to major contributor in a heartbeat.  

I do like how they went about assembling our current dline, receivers (though Richardson wasn’t a very good signing) and backs (AP, Guice and Love).  Even oline they’ve added guys like Roullier, Martin, Christian and Piersbacher.  
Given the injury problems with Reed and Thompson though, I guess just wish they had landed a promising TE and 3rd down back in the past couple drafts.  

Obviously you can get into the weeds here talking about limited assets, paying bit money for qbs (Cousins/Smith), letting Preston Smith and Crowder walk, trading away Fuller, not trading Williams, signing Norman and Collins, extending guys like Reed and Moses and so on.  Roster management is a bit of a tightrope walk, but I think Allen has generally focused a bit too much on need-based drafting, has made a number of missteps and seems to lack a cohesive vision for the team’s personnel.  

Edited by skinny21
3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Given the injury problems with Reed and Thompson though, I guess just wish they had landed a promising TE and 3rd down back in the past couple drafts.  

I do agree and I was looking for some lower round prospects to come out way, particularly at TE. But you mention guys like Bibbs and Marshall, There was Craig Reynolds and now Josh Ferguson, even Wendell Smallwood. Its not like we aren't bringing in bodies. But they're lower round picks and UDFAs so the likelihood that they'll turn out good (particularly without time to invest) is low. 

JP Holtz is a guy that Cooley loved who was on our PS for a while, but I never saw it from him. He had his first game with multiple receptions last week for Chicago, but I still don't think we could count on him. In the preseason he was looking exactly like Sprinkle is now (dropping passes from Haskins). That's not to say that we shouldn't have addressed it more but its hard to both address your 3rd and 4th RB and TE when you've got bigger needs in other areas (like WR, IOL, ILB, OLB, CB, etc). 

My money was on Cunningham being a gem. Dude is 6'8 and caught a lot of passes in college. He's not much of a blocker so I don't think Call would like him too much but I distinctly remember him catching a deep ball from Haskins in the 3rd or 4th preseason game. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Im not ready to invest serious resources to the RB position. A back in the 4th-6th round I’m good with, bringing back AP as the backup power back, and practice squad back. 

AP is signed for one more year. Also, i agree in that i would rather draft a guy like Akers or AJ Dillon in the 4th than an Etienne or Swift in the second.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

good call. I had his name wrong. So we cut him and didn't bring him back. Sad. 

Practice squad then to the XFL... So maybe he developed and we can bring him back? We need to bring in like 3 TEs

Edited by CowboyKillerz

I'd take Ke'Shawn Vaughn without question IF the value is there. I think we're being a bit too optimistic regarding our RB situation but the fact is Guice and Love have real durability concerns. Talent is not in question at all. I'm not sure how or why that even gets factored into these discussions. Love also recently underwent another procedure on his knee IIRC.

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

He’s sprained his MCL. It’s a relatively minor injury as knee injuries go. 3 to 4 weeks recovery given it’s not ruptured.

i get the legitimate concern about his durability. But this latest injury will have no impact on his availability for next season nor is it an injury that will impact his explosion or ability to change direction the way an ACL can in the first year after recovery.

That is true. Plus players are usually better after their second full year off of an ACL. We'll see I guess. But I find it hard to rely on the guy, And in the end it is going to be up to whoever the next head coach is.

• Like 1

Doctors clearing people to play isn’t an exact science. Ask anyone who has had a serious injury how long it took after they were “cleared” before they really felt 100%; the timeline is much longer in almost all cases.

I don’t think guice is necessarily injury prone but his body needs time to fully recover. He he has proven that he has the ability to play at a high level in the nfl and this off-season should do wonders for him.

We need to be drafting a rb regardless though, Thompson is injury prone and AP is getting up there.

Edited by sportjunkie07
8 hours ago, CowboyKillerz said:

Wasnt that Pharam?

Td was to Simms but Donald Pharam was the 6 foot 8 monster TE who had some nice grabs in camp if I recall

Parham is his name.  

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

That is true. Plus players are usually better after their second full year off of an ACL. We'll see I guess. But I find it hard to rely on the guy, And in the end it is going to be up to whoever the next head coach is.

Love will be well over a year since his ACL as well.  I’m excited to see that guy get some PT.  I think he’ll be a little like Guice in that he’ll be a better pass catcher than expected (and offer a true weapon in the backfield compared with more of a chain mover in AP).  I also think it will help that Love (in theory) won’t be asked to shoulder the load.  
I haven’t heard any news about him since his latest procedure...

7 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Doctors clearing people to play isn’t an exact science. Ask anyone who has had a serious injury how long it took after they were “cleared” before they really felt 100%; the timeline is much longer in almost all cases.

I don’t think guice is necessarily injury prone but his body needs time to fully recover. He he has proven that he has the ability to play at a high level in the nfl and this off-season should do wonders for him.

We need to be drafting a rb regardless though, Thompson is injury prone and AP is getting up there.

Thompson is also a FA (and AP isn’t what you want on 3rd down).  If Love and Guice can handle 3rd down duties, it would make me feel better about the position.  I still want to add a guy though.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

One Breakout Player of the Year candidate at each position for the 2020 NFL season

RB DERRIUS GUICE, WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The first two years of Guice’s career have not gone according to plan. Due to injury, the talented running back out of LSU has played just 95 regular season offensive snaps, all coming this past year, since entering the league in 2018. In the few opportunities he has had to run the ball, though, Guice has looked like one of the better backs in the league. He broke 14 tackles on 49 touches this season while rushing for over five yards after contact per attempt. It’s obviously a small sample, but that’s certainly reason to be excited when you pair that with his production at LSU, where he recorded PFF rushing grades above 85.0 in three consecutive seasons.

As Shaq Thompson can attest, Guice just runs angry. If he can stay healthy in 2020 and add a little bit more juice in the passing game, the third-year back is a prime candidate to break out in Washington.

GuiceRun.gif

• Like 2

Derrius Guice running angry encouraging contact with D players, may work in  his mind,  but his body is saying, hell no. I hope for his sake he gets a coach this year that tells him to stop that ****.   We will see.  He can change that pattern.  It would certainly help his health and sustain his career.

• Like 1

His latest injury was from a helmet hit directly to his knee. That wasn't fall related. And actually, I think it's a somewhat positive sign, that he didn't re injure it that badly. Gives him a whole off-season of being healthy and getting into game shape.

• Like 1

Guice will be great next season...RR is coming into so much untapped potential on this roster that he may be able to see success quicker than he hoped, especially being in the NFC East. Much will depend on Haskins of course, but hopefully the defense makes huge improvement....

• Like 1
  • TK locked this topic