Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Michael Cohen/Trump SDNY Investigation Thread

No Excuses

Good job by Hannity, telling everyone he was never a client of Cohen's.

As such, atty client privilege shouldn't apply.

These people have been spoiled by Congress.  Congress should have been holding people in contempt and punting their ridiculous executive privilege claims into the stratosphere.  Instead, Congress was lax and everyone around them has adopted that same attitude.

Courts don't play tho.

"They need to be playing chess. They're playing Hungry Hungry Hippos."

Now, that's a quote.

Well, somebody is lying. Dollars to Doughnuts that it's Hannity. At this point, revealing Hannity as one of his clients is kind of a nothingburger for Cohen. For Hannity and his hours of rants on the topic of Cohen without mentioning their relationship. It should mean something to his bosses. It won't. But it should. 

This Stormy Daniel's case has gone from amusing diversion to full-on Law Review question material.

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around everything here, because it is all so bizarre.

Here is what I think happened. I don't think Hannity paid Cohen any money, but that doesn't ultimately matter. An attorney-client relationship can exist absent contract, payment, etc.

I also highly doubt there is anything related to Hannity in his files, because - again - I don't think he did much, if any work, for him.

Where this gets fascinating is the ethics on both ends. And it's pretty clear that this all ends with Cohen disbarred, because my god.

Hannity's problems are the ethics of journalism based on the fact of "How do you not report that you have a major conflict of interest here?!?!?!"

No one is losing a job or going to jail there, but again, my god.

By the way, what you are seeing in real time is the distiniguishing of an "attorney" from a "fixer." Cohen does not seem to have a legal practice in any real sense of the word. He seems to basically be Tom Hagen.

How is any of Cohen's information privileged? He claims that he signed the contract with Daniels without informing Trump. If that's the case, he's not Trump's attorney, because that would be the most unethical thing an attorney can do. And if he's not Trump's attorney, there is no attorney-client privilege.

Now Hannity is saying that he's not a client. So, again, there is no attorney-client privilege. At this point, it should all be fair game from where I'm sitting.

This is amazing.

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

How is any of Cohen's information privileged? He claims that he signed the contract with Daniels without informing Trump. If that's the case, he's not Trump's attorney, because that would be the most unethical thing an attorney can do. And if he's not Trump's attorney, there is no attorney-client privilege.

Now Hannity is saying that he's not a client. So, again, there is no attorney-client privilege. At this point, it should all be fair game from where I'm sitting.

This is amazing.

Mind blown, you are right.  They couldn't be more stupid if they tried, they are blowing up the only defense they really have to protect the docs this man has on them.

29 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here is what I think happened. I don't think Hannity paid Cohen any money, but that doesn't ultimately matter. An attorney-client relationship can exist absent contract, payment, etc.

I also highly doubt there is anything related to Hannity in his files, because - again - I don't think he did much, if any work, for him.

Why would Cohen list him as a client then? I mean if I ask my lawyer friend a couple of questions that doesn't make me a client, right? And Hannity did interject that "he might have paid him 10$" (LOL) and expected attorney client privilege on his radio show. Seems odd. 

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

It's a miracle Michael Cohen can pay his monthly bills.  He only had three clients.  One of them "never retained him., received an invoice,. or paid legal fees."  And as for his main client, Cohen shelled out $130,000 of his OWN money for the Orange One.

Where did this guy get his law degree? Trump University?

6 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Why would Cohen list him as a client then? I mean if I ask my lawyer friend a couple of questions that doesn't make me a client, right? And Hannity did interject that "he might have paid him 10$" (LOL) and expected attorney client privilege on his radio show. Seems odd. 

Right. This whole idea that Cohen needed to "beef up" his client list with Hannity is a joke. If Fredo Corleone and Tom Hagen had a lovechild. It would have been Cohen. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

It won't until it starts to mean something to sponsors for his show (which I'm waiting for, but not holding my breath).

It won't mean anything to sponsors until it means something to viewers which there's no chance in hell of.

edit: Now, you could probably convince several million right-minded people who don't watch FOX News but do watch regular FOX to boycott that network. That'd put a knot in Rupert's panties.

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

In all seriousness, why does it matter what Cohen said the money was for? If it is equity he’s paid into his house, can’t he take that money out and use it for anything? 

Because if the intent was to kill a story in order to benefit the Trump campaign, that needs to be disclosed to the FEC as a donation.

By the way, don't conflate the two cases here. Stormy Daniels is suing Cohen in order to prove that the NDA is invalid.

I've lost the thread here, but the case before Judge Wood is a fight over the search that was conducted on his office that may lead to a criminal claim. Nothing has been filed yet that I'm aware of. That's probably the season finale.

Archived