Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be Starting RB in 2018??? (Public Poll)

Renegade7

Who' should be Starting RB in 2018???  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Starting RB in 2018???

• Trade for Le'Veon Bell
    • Draft RB in 1st Round
    • Draft RB in 2nd-7th Round
    • Sign Veteran FA
    • Sign UDFA
    • Trade for Veteran RB (Not Le'Veon Bell)
    • He's already on the Roster
    • IDK, but I know he's not on the Roster

All things said, Perine not having a bad preseason running, fumbles hurt for sure. Might be # 3 with CT #2. I just don't see how Rob Kelley is a major loss to this team. Doubt he would get scooped up and be great PS player.

AP a classic rhythm runner, he needs 20 touches a game to get a feel for the game. Other teams couldn't offer that. The Skins unfortunately can now and it looks like AP will get the bulk of carries. I think everybody agrees he's a physical freak and mentally it's obvious he still want's that role. Basically, we're looking for the guy to take 7-10 carries away from AP while keeping CT as 3rd down and situation back. 

Give me Perine for those 5-10 carries for now. 1 fumble and Cutsville.

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

All things said, Perine not having a bad preseason running, fumbles hurt for sure. Might be # 3 with CT #2. I just don't see how Rob Kelley is a major loss to this team. Doubt he would get scooped up and be great PS player.

AP a classic rhythm runner, he needs 20 touches a game to get a feel for the game. Other teams couldn't offer that. The Skins unfortunately can now and it looks like AP will get the bulk of carries. I think everybody agrees he's a physical freak and mentally it's obvious he still want's that role. Basically, we're looking for the guy to take 7-10 carries away from AP while keeping CT as 3rd down and situation back. 

Give me Perine for those 5-10 carries for now. 1 fumble and Cutsville.

I would like to think that the coaches have been working with Perine on fumbles, but it certainly hasn't shown in the preseason.  He's had limited carries in two preseason games and fumbled in both.  Can't put a guy like that out there.

I think Kelly beat Perine in any fair/neutral preseason measure. If Perine makes the cut it's strictly about potential (or his former draft status).

Part of me though, would want to go with Peterson, Bibbs, and Thompson and cut both Kelly and Perine. Bibbs is a worker and probably enough of a tweener to be the third down back and the workhorse back in a pinch. If injuries strike would either Kelly or Perine give us that much more value than an off the street free agent running back?

Fumbling is an issue but it can be corrected. Tiki Barber had fumbling problems early too. I think Perine's got more talent than Kelley and should make the roster. Kelley is one of those guys that you can easily pick up midseason if you need to. He's a JAG.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Fumbling is an issue but it can be corrected. Tiki Barber had fumbling problems early too. I think Perine's got more talent than Kelley and should make the roster. Kelley is one of those guys that you can easily pick up midseason if you need to. He's a JAG.

I've been a big advocate for Perine... but it HAS to get fixed... like... NOW.  Looking at Perine vs Kelley... I'd be willing to bet that 10 years from now, we look back and Perine has a better career.  That is the benefit to keeping him.. but I was adamant about not writing him off for fumbling issues til we saw him... and he has fumbling issues.  

Perine got hurt and while it's not completely to fair to downgrade him on that availability matters. Perine also fumbles a lot, especially for a guy whose best quality is being an Eddie George pile driver style running back. I think Kelly outhustled him in preseason practices and in the limited preseason game tape. Therefore, physical potential aside, Kelly was better this preseason... and except for the Cinderella/underdog status, I don't find much compelling about Kelly.

More, his fumble yesterday was a pretty sloppy one. Yeah, that probably means it can be fixed, but for a guy who's all about strength he gets the ball poked out awfully easily.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think Kelly beat Perine in any fair/neutral preseason measure. If Perine makes the cut it's strictly about potential (or his former draft status).

Part of me though, would want to go with Peterson, Bibbs, and Thompson and cut both Kelly and Perine. Bibbs is a worker and probably enough of a tweener to be the third down back and the workhorse back in a pinch. If injuries strike would either Kelly or Perine give us that much more value than an off the street free agent running back?

If that's the case, then keep that kid Smith they just signed. He looked pretty good (albeit, against scrubs).

Perine is gone. Fumbles sealed it.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Perine got hurt and while it's not completely to fair to downgrade him on that availability matters. Perine also fumbles a lot, especially for a guy whose best quality is being an Eddie George pile driver style running back. I think Kelly outhustled him in preseason practices and in the limited preseason game tape. Therefore, physical potential aside, Kelly was better this preseason... and except for the Cinderella/underdog status, I don't find much compelling about Kelly.

More, his fumble yesterday was a pretty sloppy one. Yeah, that probably means it can be fixed, but for a guy who's all about strength he gets the ball poked out awfully easily.

Well, Kelley was injured last year, so...

Perine averaged over 6ypc to Kelley’s 3ypc.  Discounting his 30 yard run, Perine still averaged 4.3.  I think Perine just has a bit better vision, wiggle and burst than Kelley.  

Also think Perine has a more natural feel (or maybe just more natural hands) in the pass game.  

Fumbles are huge, I agree, and I don’t really mind cutting Perine for that very reason.  

With all of that said, I’m not one that hates Kelley.  I’m ok with keeping him around and seeing how things go as long as they’re open minded to the possibility of moving on from him later if he isn’t cutting it.  

Honestly, if one of the guys I want is cut, I cut both Kelly and Perine. If not, I'm not sure. Perine is probably a better back, but his fumbling is terrible. Kelly is more dependable and plays teams. If both the guys I want (from other teams) get cut, I'm probably cutting Perine, Kelly and Bibbs.

Of course, I wanted to sign George Iloka when he was cut too. So, I'm guessing, as much as we probably need it, we won't be really making any moves.

What are the required qualities of a RB and ranking them per category?

1. Vision - AD, CT, Bibbs, Semaji, R. Kelly

2. Ball Security - R. Kelly, CT, AD, Bibbs, SP

3. Ability to break tackles - AD, RK, CT, KB, SP

4. Speed - CT, KB, SP, AD, RK

5. Blocking ability - RK, CT, SP, AD, KB

6. Hands - CT, KB, SP, RK, AD

Looking at it this way I prefer to keep Kelly and Bibbs over Perrine...

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Is Kelley our FB now then?

Nope. He's going to be our #2 RB, bank on it. Gruden doesn't really care about a FB. He's more interested in throwing the ball.

To be blunt, I was really hoping that we sent after a younger CT type back that got in a log jam elsewhere. My guy made the Rams, but there has to be other teams that had a better option than Bibbs. Or Perine/Kelley for that matter.

52 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Nope. He's going to be our #2 RB, bank on it. Gruden doesn't really care about a FB. He's more interested in throwing the ball.

To be blunt, I was really hoping that we sent after a younger CT type back that got in a log jam elsewhere. My guy made the Rams, but there has to be other teams that had a better option than Bibbs. Or Perine/Kelley for that matter.

Maybe so, but Peterson does like a lead back in front of him. I wonder if Kelley will fill that role. 

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Maybe so, but Peterson does like a lead back in front of him. I wonder if Kelley will fill that role. 

I seriously doubt it. And to what Peterson prefers, that's not even the case. He has said he prefers a one back set. That being said, he's more effective running with a FB.

But I seriously doubt we will run a FB much, except in short yardage situations. Jay just doesn't do that.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I seriously doubt it. And to what Peterson prefers, that's not even the case. He has said he prefers a one back set. That being said, he's more effective running with a FB.

But I seriously doubt we will run a FB much, except in short yardage situations. Jay just doesn't do that.

Jay might change his mind when our running game sucks.

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I think this is a very interesting point.  Sometimes the answers aren't as clear until the sample size is larger.  

Consider PERINE in a FB role:

Perine is a big strong 236 lb. RB...Also, a guy that was drafted higher then the expendable range as a 4th rounder.  Current status and value is lessened by the fact he has some muscle memory issues with securing the football.  It's been proven that this is a problem and this type of problem is coach resolvable.  Since you don't want to give up the potential in this draft pick simply after one year, where can you get value from him???  I suggest that Perine could be used in 2 back sets as a Fullback role for AP.   This would create two issues for a defense.  As Perine has the potential to run the ball well, you can't discount misdirection here where the RB's come out of the set and move Left and Right respectively.  Additionally, Perine is strong enough to be utilized as a fullback.  Example:  Saints FB 

Zack Line is one of the better FBs in the NFL and a bit smaller than Perine by a few lbs.  You can mix it up and give Perine some touches to keep the defense honest.  You can also throw in Kelly with that same formational mix and get similar misdirection.  This is why I don't see the Skins brining in a traditional FB nor tossing Perine to one side.  

7 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I think this is a very interesting point.  Sometimes the answers aren't as clear until the sample size is larger.  

Consider PERINE in a FB role:

Perine is a big strong 236 lb. RB...Also, a guy that was drafted higher then the expendable range as a 4th rounder.  Current status and value is lessened by the fact he has some muscle memory issues with securing the football.  It's been proven that this is a problem and this type of problem is coach resolvable.  Since you don't want to give up the potential in this draft pick simply after one year, where can you get value from him???  I suggest that Perine could be used in 2 back sets as a Fullback role for AP.   This would create two issues for a defense.  As Perine has the potential to run the ball well, you can't discount misdirection here where the RB's come out of the set and move Left and Right respectively.  Additionally, Perine is strong enough to be utilized as a fullback.  Example:  Saints FB 

Zack Line is one of the better FBs in the NFL and a bit smaller than Perine by a few lbs.  You can mix it up and give Perine some touches to keep the defense honest.  You can also throw in Kelly with that same formational mix and get similar misdirection.  This is why I don't see the Skins brining in a traditional FB nor tossing Perine to one side.  

Quick question; When has a Gruden offense ever used a fullback unless it's a short yardage situation?

Archived