Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

My concern with the give Jay a good OC and let him be the CEO Head Coach is that I don't know that Jay has really shown us that he has the organizational skills, the discipline skills, or the managerial skills to be the CEO. He's a player's coach, a pal. He's not the guy making sure all the train's come in on time and making sure everyone is dotting their i's and crossing their t's.

The media guides could have asked about the 'Fire Bruce Allen' to Gruden in a way that wouldn't incriminate Gruden.

They could have said " Jay, are you aware of the #fireBruceAllen campaign that's going around?

That would have left him the opportunity to acknowledge or deny hearing about it, but I'm sure he's had to have heard something about it.

I haven't seen it yet so I need to go listen to it.

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

My concern with the give Jay a good OC and let him be the CEO Head Coach is that I don't know that Jay has really shown us that he has the organizational skills, the discipline skills, or the managerial skills to be the CEO. He's a player's coach, a pal. He's not the guy making sure all the train's come in on time and making sure everyone is dotting their i's and crossing their t's.

Isn’t that what McVay did for him?

I was a Gruden supporter most of the season....but now..I just don't think he can 1) Hold people accountable Coaches (DC) or Players for bad performance 2) Compete mentally with the "Good" Coaches we face. He gets hit with adjustments and doesn't respond or anticipate what so do...no plan B or next gear.

Unfortunately, I'd hate to scrap a "system" that seems to have potential - (people seem to get open but we can't get the ball to em) for a restart with a new coach for the next 2 years or so. But if Alex is done and can't come back in 2019 with Colt being the starter ..then maybe it's time for a restart regardless. Get rid of some big $$ contracts and play our draft picks and look for some diamonds to polish for 2 years.

I could watch the skins with young-uns getting better.

The Flip is that Gruden grows a pair and works harder on his game plans and we sneak up next year.

I don't understand Gruden ..thats for sure

I finally went and watched the Gruden Monday presser.

For the most part, he got softball questions and bunted.  I know he's not gonna rock the boat with any of his answers, he was trying to be upbeat, but he was constantly referring to injuries as being the underlying issue.

Now, a couple things;

1. Jay made a comment about the S&T staff, saying they were the best in football. I got a big laugh outta that. He could have said 'I think we have a good S&T group'; but to make an obviously horribly incorrect answer like they're the best in football, um, no, they're not, Jay.

2. He had high praise for HaHa Dix. Its clear he hasn't watched much film on the guy, he is horrible, and for Jay to stand there giving extended praise for HaHa tells me Jay wants him back.  Another no, Jay.

No one expects Jay to come out and put a player or FO personnel on the clothes line, but judging by the way he talks, it doesn't appear anything will change; he's hanging his hat on the notion that next year the team will not have as many injuries and he will get to see the starters out there executing and winning games. But it was his play calling and Alex Smith's ability to lead players directly into some hard hits which knocked these very same players out of the game.

Jay's biggest issues were predictability in play calling not being tougher on his players on offense; when the QB doesn't want to throw the ball more than 10 yds downfield and the coach doesn't give him an ultimatum, he just calls plays to fit Smith's desires, that didn't do the offense any favors, it just set them up for failure.

There were opponents this season who came out and said they knew what was coming; that should be an air raid siren going off in Jay's head to change things, but he didn't.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You and I both know they arent listening and that's why they throwing him out there to take darts for them.  I've seen little kids hear everything and process none of it, these are adults who insist on doing it their way no matter what we as fans think, it's not about us anymore.

I'm not saying dont ask them, I'm saying that's not who I want to answer the questions.  Hes saying without saying what he needs from him and wont give him in the 5 years hes been here, and he works in same building as them.

I want a Bruce Allen press conference so the gloves can really come off.

I don’t disagree.  But you’re not going to get a Bruce Allen press conference.  You are going to get a Jay Gruden press conference.  So you might as well ask the guy who the organyis putting out there is all I’m saying.

22 hours ago, Burgold said:

I disagree. There is a lot of value in having an AP next year. This team needs some role models who can show the pups the right way to prepare for a game

I would love to have him back but he's reestablished himself as relevant again and if you listen to him he wants to win a Superbowl.

He's not going to win a Superbowl here anytime soon so he has to make a choice in the offseason and I think there will be playoff caliber teams who will either need a quality have injuries in training camp or they just want a HOF RB as depth, for example, a team like the Patriots who have a good young running back in Sony Michel (gets banged up) but they need a banger with a veteran mindset for tough situations.

I'm not disagreeing that we should bring him back or that he isn't a positive influence, that would be ridiculous but reality will sink in soon and AP only has a few years left, do we really expect him to dedicate those to this franchise?

We'll see.

That's a different question. Yeah, I can see AP preferring different pastures, but I also think if he stays he has value as a player and role model. Look at the Wizards, all the talent in the world and no one taught them how to be pros, so they're bums.

The Redskins act like they don't know how to be winners and don't know how much work it takes off the field to be winners. Check that. They may know it in their heads, but not their hearts. They're just missing some core element and without that something they wind up being flat and brittle. jay Gruden is not enough of a blacksmith or alchemist to forge that into them and while some players can do it for themselves... too many need a teacher or role model.

AP here reminds me of Favre on the Jets. A brief period of their HOF careers where they showed they could still help a contender, then Favre went to the Vikings to chase a SB and got pretty close. Could see the same happening for AP although there aren't a lot of teams looking for a bellcow (but mostly two down) RB. 

13 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I was a Gruden supporter most of the season....but now..I just don't think he can 1) Hold people accountable Coaches (DC) or Players for bad performance 2) Compete mentally with the "Good" Coaches we face. He gets hit with adjustments and doesn't respond or anticipate what so do...no plan B or next gear.

Do you remember what was said after Scott was fired?

It was reported that he had some arguments with some disgruntled players in his office.

And it didn't pleased Bruce that he was doing it...

The Redskins just completed another tumultuous season.... again crashing and burning to end the season. So many problems and issues. Questions.

And the best this franchise comes up with, is a reporter who catches Bruce Allen on the way to the elevator to ask about Gruden.... and we get “Assume he’ll be back.”

What a proud franchise! What a decisive organization with clears goals/objectives and metrics.... and so supportive of each other too! Clearly, you can tell that one hand is not talking to the other.

20 years now. Snyder isn’t a green young naive owner learning lessons as he goes. That narrative has passed.

He’s a moron. Plain and simple.

I do have to say 7-9 with that he had the work with is somewhat impressive. Still happy he was the only one with balls back in the day to tell ownership to shut the hell up and that he was starting Cousins.

Bruce Allen created such a dumb team. He Gives jay boxes to fill circle holes

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

If we have to bring in people to make up for him not being a HC, we might as well get a better head coach.  What's logical won't happen here, so what's left is hiring people that will help cover for his deficiencies that will eventually be hired elsewhere. 

Yes, McVay was here first, but anyone of his talent or gets similar results will use us as a springboard to get elsewhere.  Marvin Lewis and Bowles will only come here as DC with idea if they so well someone will give them another chance at HC again.

There are like two people in the NFL with more power than Bruce Allen. One is the greatest coach of all-time. Bruce is basically Al Davis without owning a team. He picks the players (Jay didn’t get a chance to weigh in on Alex Smith until the trade was pretty much complete; no evaluation was done by him) and handles a ton of non-football business. It makes no sense for any team, even less so when you give it to someone with a crap track record. He has completely manipulated Snyder, who doesn’t have many friends and is afraid of replacing Bruce with someone who won’t hang with him and will tell him the brutal truth.

i don’t think any coach could really succeed here. 

If they hire an honest to God DC, and preferably a good OC, I would be interested to see how Jay could do.

One of my (many) criticisms I have of Jay is he tries to do too much and sub optimizes everything.

Maybe if he was just the HC and not the OC/Playcaller as well he’d do better.

I’d be interest to see how that plays out.

Im not particularly interested in seeing the 3rd act of Jay/Manusky/Callahan/Cavanaugh though.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

One of my (many) criticisms I have of Jay is he tries to do too much and sub optimizes everything.

Agree on that. That was the case his first year and he acknowledged that and turned to McVay. Then Somehow when McVay left, he took the job back, like he had no real trust in Cavanaugh doing it. Which is weird...

Also, I do believe there's too many voices in his ears when it comes to offensive gameplan.

You had:

- Callahan for running plays.

- O'Connell for passing plays.

- Cavanaugh as OC.

- Jay as HC.

That's 3 too much here.

Put O'Connell as OC, and let him do his thing and that's it. No more X, Y or Z taking part of the gameplan it justs confuses everyone and in the end it looks like you're conducting a gameplan to please everyone...

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they hire an honest to God DC, and preferably a good OC, I would be interested to see how Jay could do.

Without some young speedy talent on offense, I'm not sure it will matter.

This is the one of the most if not the most talentless Redskins offense I've seen in 35 years of watching this team.

18 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Without some young speedy talent on offense, I'm not sure it will matter.

This is the one of the most if not the most talentless Redskins offense I've seen in 35 years of watching this team.

I agree however the scheme is predictable and doesn’t even maximize the talent that is there 

3 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

I do have to say 7-9 with that he had the work with is somewhat impressive. Still happy he was the only one with balls back in the day to tell ownership to shut the hell up and that he was starting Cousins.

Bruce Allen created such a dumb team. He Gives jay boxes to fill circle holes

Yes, it was definitely impressive going 1-6 down the stretch, and going 7-9 including incredibly lucky wins against the Cowboys and Bucs.  Whats even more impressive is the history breaking blowouts against the Giants, Eagles, Falcons, Saints, Colts etc!  Also, its even more impressive that all of this was done thanks to one of the most amazing seasons by a player the Redskins didnt even want on the roster at the start of the season, AP, which if they had their way and played the season with their original plans, the team likely would have been 5-11 without.

Most impressive work there by a true master.

Archived