Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

I have not performed that particular experiment, but it's possible they expect you to heat the water so that it will dissolve excess sodium iodide, then let it cool slowly so it remains in solution.

You are probably right and I generally find you to be a very wise and coolheaded unit, Fitz. Small changes could possibly be the right move. 

On the other hand, I just bought another $125 in chemicals and intend to scale this thing up to an extinction level event. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So I did this today. It was not as explosive as i hoped. I think (with zero actual understanding of chemistry) that i did not use enough sodium iodide. The instructions say “make a saturated solution” but dont say precisely how much sodium iodide to use. I used the entire bottle, which was 25 grams. So it bubbled and overflowed and the kids thought it was cool, but i was disappointed. 

I just ordered more sodium iodide. Well over $100 worth. 

What they mean by "saturated solution" is where your sodium iodide no longer dissolves in the water.  Take room temperature water and dissolve about a tablespoon of the iodide crystals at a time.  When it no longer dissolves, it's saturated.

You also have to use the 30% peroxide solution for the big blast.  But make sure your kids are covered up with appropriate safety gear, at a safe distance, and that they do not touch the foam in case not all of the peroxide oxidized.  That stuff will stain, or even worse, burn.  You should be the one to clean up with appropriate gear (better yet, use a big plastic sheet or tarp to make it easier on yourself).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bearrock said:

What they mean by "saturated solution" is where your sodium iodide no longer dissolves in the water.  Take room temperature water and dissolve about a tablespoon of the iodide crystals at a time.  When it no longer dissolves, it's saturated.

I did this. It would be helpful to just have amounts.  Add x teaspoons of iodide to x ounces of water. I literally cannot find this anywhere on google. 

You also have to use the 30% peroxide solution for the big blast.  But make sure your kids are covered up with appropriate safety gear, at a safe distance, and that they do not touch the foam in case not all of the peroxide oxidized.  That stuff will stain, or even worse, burn.  You should be the one to clean up with appropriate gear (better yet, use a big plastic sheet or tarp to make it easier on yourself).

Yep bought 30% peroxide. Kiddo was in goggles and smock like **** was gonna detonate. I put everything on a cut up cardboard box and then everything folded up nice and neat for the trash. 

Edit: I may have dared the one neighbor kid who is a bully to stick her face in it. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I did this. It would be helpful to just have amounts.  Add x teaspoons of iodide to x ounces of water. I literally cannot find this anywhere on google. 

Yeah, unfortunately, I think water properties have an effect on how much iodide is needed to saturate.  

What kind of container are you using?  I think you're supposed to use the funnel top to make it shoot up.

So I have a regular stroller and a jogger. My wife thought the same as you and now our regular stroller is all jacked up. 

my beliefs is that it just wasn’t constructed well enough to handle that. Things just became way too loose. It’s fine because we’re basically done with it anyways.

so maybe yours will be fine. Or maybe if it isn’t it won’t matter. Sort of up to you. 

but no, the jogging stroller is way better for running. And I run regularly. It’s got better control and easier to push. It also has a strap so you can push it without holding on without worrying about it getting too far away especially going down hill. 

but I also wouldn’t bring a jogging stroller in a store. Too long. Would make it annoying. It’s fine when you have to. But it’s not what you would bring if you had a chance to plan correctly (unless that means bringing 2 strollers then screw that just bring the jogger and deal with it)

Edited by tshile

The thing is that when we had our second, the discussion was a double stroller or a jogging stroller or a jogging double stroller? But those things can get expensive, expecially if you want the skinny ones? But now that my youngest is almost 2 and we've been having this discussion for 2 years without any progress, I'm just willing to give in and let her get a double stroller (maybe I buy a cheap jogging stroller / bike attachment thingie) because she has to deal with both kids napping while she's out. 

@PleaseBlitzI do have a backpack because this was my first thought - I'd just run with him on my back. Not a good idea. Its cool for walks or hikes though or when we had these things called festivals and crowds. 

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of using exercise to "punish" kids? I normally take my kids on a run or have a dance competition when they've got too much energy and I want to tire them out. I just read a few articles on it and people are talking about this correlating exercise with punishment and thus making them hate it. I don't know if I agree (at least in my examples) because I'm trying to tire them out and prevent them from running around the house and breaking things. 

Any thoughts?

I think you keep doing what you're doing. Using exercise as punishment is a bad idea, the kids will end up hating anything that remotely looks like exercise. 

I like the way you are getting them doing something outside because I think kids today spend too much time indoors.

Example: because I worked a lot, I didn't get my daughter involved in many outdoor activities. I see the same thing happening with my granddaughter who's not outside enough because both parents work. I think I did my daughter a disservice.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

What do people think of using exercise to "punish" kids? I normally take my kids on a run or have a dance competition when they've got too much energy and I want to tire them out. I just read a few articles on it and people are talking about this correlating exercise with punishment and thus making them hate it. I don't know if I agree (at least in my examples) because I'm trying to tire them out and prevent them from running around the house and breaking things. 

Any thoughts?

Teaching them to go do some healthy movement when they feel like they have excess energy is a good thing. 

A lot of it comes down to what you say and how you say it though. If you make it sound like punishment, they will take it that way.

• Like 2

Kid finally got to go to school. First real day of kindergarten. 

(Covid discussion aside)

picking him up and talking to him about his first day is easily the best experience I’ve had in 2020. Easily. Needed a win, it’s been a year of nothing but loses for us. Even got a puppy and had to return it 3 days later to be put down for a neurological problem. Just awful year all the way around (but we’re healthy and alive so it definitely could have been worse)

been begging for a win. Something to go well. Finally got it. 

• Like 6

*wife and 2 year old daughter paint nails*
*2 year old tries to suck thumb and realizes that experience is ruined*
*sticks thumb out at me*
”i want offy”

me: I’m sorry, it’s stuck there forever

*lots of crying*
*crying is currently continuing*

i feel kinda bad but she needs to stop and also it was funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, tshile said:

*wife and 2 year old daughter paint nails*
*2 year old tries to suck thumb and realizes that experience is ruined*
*sticks thumb out at me*
”i want offy”

me: I’m sorry, it’s stuck there forever

*lots of crying*
*crying is currently continuing*

*hands 2 year old to mom*

me: you did this (neglects to mention own role in daughter’s damaged psyche)

*pours glass of bourbon, goes for long walk*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I actually had a much easier time teaching the 5 year old poker than I did teaching her how to write in cursive, because I know how to play poker. 

As I recall from my youth, kids that age are good about learning the card games, but the difficult part is holding the cards, especially so that nobody else can see them.

• Like 1