Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Frankly speaking, I can’t instruct my kids at home 4 days a week. My wife and I both work 10 plus hours a day. We get about 2-3 hours with them on the weekdays. One is in preschool, so no big deal. The other will be in kindergarten, not really a big deal either.

Im not a teacher. My wife isn’t a teacher. I am doubtful that my 5 year old will be able to sit still behind a computer for hours learning.

This whole thing blow

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Frankly speaking, I can’t instruct my kids at home 4 days a week. My wife and I both work 10 plus hours a day. We get about 2-3 hours with them on the weekdays. One is in preschool, so no big deal. The other will be in kindergarten, not really a big deal either.

Im not a teacher. My wife isn’t a teacher. I am doubtful that my 5 year old will be able to sit still behind a computer for hours learning.

This whole thing blows.

Yeah there is no good solution, plain and simple.

I am a teacher, and so I'm able to be home with my kids next year. Even still, trying to manage (and homeschool) two kids while also trying to be there for my students is overwhelming.

On the other hand, I have no desire to be in the cesspool of germs that is a public school right now.

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

This whole thing blows.

Yeah, if Tazette wasn't going into 7th grade, I don't know what we would do.  The home schooling, online curriculum resources are vast now, it's not like one has to be a teacher to do it.  But the age of the child matters, cause there is no way we could do it with a younger child, even with me working from home. 

She's 12, and she asked us the past two years if she could do home schooling online, we never did though.  We just have to tell her what the assignments are each day and let her work on them.  They have calendars/planner software for everything too, makes it easy to keep track.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

My granddaughter never returned to school from Spring Break. My daughter said that they basically just passed everyone. School is supposed to start mid August and I haven't yet heard what they are doing. My granddaughter is a freshman in HS this year. She's pretty bright so I'm not worried about her. She sings in school choir so I know she'll miss that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Poor kiddo, but she looks like a tough cookie. No sign of concussion?

Yea, tougher than she looks (just like her mom). No signs of concussion. 

Since she could talk, she’s had 3 rules. Rule #1 is “protect your head” which stems directly from me getting a severe concussion a few years ago where I thought for a brief period that I might actually have brain damage. I am going to give her so much **** for breaking Rule #1. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone have any experience with trying to get stitches removed from a 5 year old?  I took her to her pediatrician and she FREAKED OUT.  We've tried to explain to her that it won't hurt, but she melts down whenever someone even looks at her head.  I would prefer not to have her sedated, but not really seeing any other options. 

46 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone have any experience with trying to get stitches removed from a 5 year old?  I took her to her pediatrician and she FREAKED OUT.  We've tried to explain to her that it won't hurt, but she melts down whenever someone even looks at her head.  I would prefer not to have her sedated, but not really seeing any other options. 

I still vividly recall when my son was 2 he got bit in the face by a dog and had to get stitches.  When they put them in they strapped him to a board that immobilized him so they could do their work.  That was at an ER, but I imagine a doctor's office could do something similar.  It is horrible as a parent though.  Being 2 my son spoke as a small child does, but when he was in that thing he screamed in a clear, adult sounding voice "Dad, get me outta here!" Not being able to do anything for your child when they are screaming for help is torture.

Edited by China
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, China said:

I still vividly recall when my son was 2 he got bit in the face by a dog and had to get stitches.  When they put them in they strapped him to a board that immobilized him so they could do their work.  That was at an ER, but I imagine a doctor's office could do something similar.  It is horrible as a parent though.  Being 2 my son spoke as a small child does, but when he was in that thing he screamed in a clear, adult sounding voice "Dad, get me outta here!" Not being able to do anything for your child when they are screaming for help is torture.

Yep, exactly what I went through yesterday.  Guttural, panicked screaming coming from your 5 year old as she is being held down is tough to take (which is why my wife made me take her). 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yep, exactly what I went through yesterday.  Guttural, panicked screaming coming from your 5 year old as she is being held down is tough to take (which is why my wife made me take her). 

Happens to me whenever I try to take my son’s bandaids off. :ols:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Is laughing gas instead of full sedation an option?  Also, has she had an opportunity to look at the stitches?  Perhaps it's more gruesome in her mind than it really is.  

You could also bribe her with a ipad or a tesla.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is laughing gas instead of full sedation an option?  Also, has she had an opportunity to look at the stitches?  Perhaps it's more gruesome in her mind than it really is.  

You could also bribe her with a ipad or a tesla.

If they have laughing gas, Imma get a dose for both of us. 

I tried bribing her, first with a popsicle, and then unlimited popsicles forever but, being 5, she failed to live up to her end of the bargain. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, tshile said:

Teach your monster to read

https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/

nothing else has captured my sons attention and gotten through to him on reading like this has. 

My 5 year old is a great reader, might even be advanced for her age, but she doesn't seem to enjoy it.  She never reads for fun and basically only reads when we make her to.  Unless it's a text message on your phone, then she's all over it.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you google ‘awesome science projects” the results are bull****. I specifically used the term awesome, as in inspiring awe. I’m not looking for making a battery out of a potato or doing the avocado pit bull****. I’m talking about **** will get us cited by my HOA and hopefully the fire department. Something that will leave a permanent mark or possibly a crater in my yard. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1