Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Parenting Thread II - Advice, Tips, Etc

PleaseBlitz

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I think getting your kid into programming/computers as soon as possible is important. If you have young kinds, I think the by the time they are adults, programming wont so much be a degree/career track but just a required understanding for many jobs.

Hell, if you're in academics/research now, it pretty much already is. you have to be able to write up your own stuff to run simulations. They partner CS grads/staff with other researchers as required, but the basic idea of taking a data set and cleaning it up and running different things against it is already pretty much required for those people...

Anyways, check this out: https://csfirst.withgoogle.com

It says 9 as a starting age but I know someone with a 7 year old that's doing the smaller stuff. I think my oldest is still too young, but soon... soon...

• Like 2

Code.org also has activities that go all the way down to Pre-K I believe.

Edit: Sorry, maybe down to Kindergarten, but it wouldn't surprise me if enterprising 4 year olds could handle them with some adult guidance.

Edited by dfitzo53

Grand parenting tip...

teaching a seven yr old to use a double bit axe MIGHT upset his parents. 😢

we did catapult trials , fire making , along with science lessons on thermal conductivity and steam propulsion.

we shall see what they whine about this time

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, twa said:

Grand parenting tip...

teaching a seven yr old to use a double bit axe MIGHT upset his parents. 😢

we did catapult trials , fire making , along with science lessons on thermal conductivity and steam propulsion.

we shall see what they whine about this time

this goes in the terrible neighbor thread 

• Haha 1

I posted some great parenting advise in today's Stadium's "Redskins trade out of 2d pick thread" probably would have been more appropriate here. Being April fools thought it would a good to gin up a message from the Governor saying this years school would not count so it would be repeated for all grades come August. Daughter had a fit.

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok boy turns 5 in June. I want to get him a pet. Need ideas. 

needs to be something you can interact with

needs to be something confined in a cage so I can drop off at neighbors for a week

needs to not be something I’d have to leave a place and head home solely because “we’ve been gone for x hours and...”

i want it to be something different than more usual things

Can’t be a snake, ferret or sugar gliders (I’ve tried)

so dog is out. We all love dogs. But I did the dog thing with the wife when we first got together and it immediately was a thing I had to do everything for. it’s hard to not get a dog but screw that not at this point in my life. 

We’re allergic to cats. 

currently considering a hedge hog. 
I was pushing for an iguana but I think reptiles in general aren’t getting much traction at the moment. 

No hamsters. No fish he can’t touch them. No birds they’re gross. I love birds but not in my house. 

Anyone got a cool idea that satisfies this ridiculous list other than “maybe you don’t want a pet” 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, tshile said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I think getting your kid into programming/computers as soon as possible is important. If you have young kinds, I think the by the time they are adults, programming wont so much be a degree/career track but just a required understanding for many jobs.

Hell, if you're in academics/research now, it pretty much already is. you have to be able to write up your own stuff to run simulations. They partner CS grads/staff with other researchers as required, but the basic idea of taking a data set and cleaning it up and running different things against it is already pretty much required for those people...

Anyways, check this out: https://csfirst.withgoogle.com

It says 9 as a starting age but I know someone with a 7 year old that's doing the smaller stuff. I think my oldest is still too young, but soon... soon...

Agreed. And even if you don't do the coding yourself, you need to have an idea if it's being done efficiently or correctly. 

if you have a child that’s comfortable walking but still very young (like my 18 mo daughter) 

ask her if she wants to spin in circles

when she just says yes because she doesn’t even know what you mean just grab her hands and (gently but with focus on the goal) spin her around a few times

let her go and have a good laugh 

btw mine started doing high knees. Was interesting she never lost balance but she walked like she was in warmups for highschool sports 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

if you have a child that’s comfortable walking but still very young (like my 18 mo daughter) 

ask her if she wants to spin in circles

when she just says yes because she doesn’t even know what you mean just grab her hands and (gently but with focus on the goal) spin her around a few times

When your child is no longer at a such a young age (say 18 years)

ask him/her if they want to spin in circles

when she/he says yes because they think there's no chance in hell you can carry their weight, give them magic mushrooms.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Haha 3