Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Kerrigan future HOFer?

bh32

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Ok, I already responded with my take, but to play devil’s advocate, Kerrigan only has 2 active players ahead of him in career sacks drafted in 2011 or later.  JJ Watt and Von Miller.  Both drafted the same year Kerrigan was of course - 2011.  

Same amount of forced fumbles as Miller, 7 more than Watt.  More INTs/INTs returned for TDs than both.

Obviously there’s more to the picture, but interesting nonetheless.  

All very good points. He's not flashy, but he's not a JAG like a lot of people seem to be implying.

34 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I view the ROH as our team version of the HOF. I just don’t think he’s been very memorable or even tops at his position for this era. He’s not dynamic or special and he’s not a game changer. Add to that the team hasn’t been good either. 

Trent would get a ROH considerstion for me because of his level of play against his contemporaries whereas I don’t think Kerrigan stacks up as well in that regard either 

To me, the Ring of Honor is for honoring good and upstanding Redskins who were devoted to the team. They don't need to be flashy; Kerrigan is the opposite of flashy, but he's been a mainstay of the defense since he was drafted. I don't recall him ever missing a game due to injury, and he's consistently been one of our best players on the entire team since he got here.

People can say what they want about how he isn't J.J. Watt or Von Miller, but he'd be a starter on any team in the league, and I'm sure he could rack up flashier stats with a more consistent defense. In the meantime, he's stayed with us every step of the way. He's exactly who I'd put in the Ring of Honor.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:42 PM, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Not even sure he makes it to ring of honor as i domt think anybody would be like...man only if we had that Ryan kerrigan! Good player, but not stand out..

I'm not singeling you out on this, and don't think he's HOF either, but I'd just like to point out that the Redskins have players/personell that are in the HOF that aren't in the Ring of Fame.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not singeling you out on this, and don't think he's HOF either, but I'd just like to point out that the Redskins have players/personell that are in the HOF that aren't in the Ring of Fame.

And there are quite a few Redskins players on the Ring of Fame that are not in HOF. Monte Coleman, Doug Williams, Brian Mitchell. Monte Coleman is the epitome of above average. Doug Williams had one good season - the rest of his career was pretty average - although not always his fault. 

Ryan Kerrigan is exactly the kind of player that should be in the ROF - but I do not see him as a HOFer at this point. He could get there with a few great seasons and the team making a deep PO run or two. But right now he is not a HOFer. 

ROF yes, HOF no.  I think Kerrigan is going to retire a Redskin in 3 or 4 years time by which he almost certainly will be over the 100 sacks mark.  For almost his entire career he has been the only impact player we have on the dline and as such is the only one other teams scheme for which makes his sacks, ints, forced fumbles numbers even more impressive.  He is also a model citizen and as reliable as a Volvo.  My favorite Redskin of the last decade and it is not even close.

First and foremost, Ryan Kerrigan is a stud and a class act. He certainly will be up for Ring of Fame, his career isn't over yet to determine his HOF worthiness, but there's just too much competition and rings take huge order over many other stats. 

If Kerrigan played another 5 years and averaged 10 sacks a year, he'd find himself sitting in the top 20 sackers of all time. If he grabbed 3 more Pro Bowls, sacked Carson Wentz in the NFC Championship in 2020 and knocked the ball loose for a scoop and score, and then did it the following game in the Superbowl to earn the ring, he could see himself in the HoF. 

On 3/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, goskins10 said:

And there are quite a few Redskins players on the Ring of Fame that are not in HOF. Monte Coleman, Doug Williams, Brian Mitchell. Monte Coleman is the epitome of above average. Doug Williams had one good season - the rest of his career was pretty average - although not always his fault. 

Not only that but he's been a solid, consistent player during a "dark age" for the team. I mentioned Gene Brito earlier and he's a perfect example of that from the first "dark age" - one of the few players that actually played consistently well on those 'Skins teams in the 1950s. Coleman, Williams, and Mitchell (at least at the start of his career) were on winning teams filled with all-pros and hall of famers.

Guys like Brito and Eddie LeBaron  were bright spots on otherwise dreadful teams in the 1950s. I think Kerrigan (as well as London Fletcher) deserve the same honor. As it stands now, Sean Taylor is the only player from the current, extended streak of 'Skins futility. 

On 3/25/2018 at 1:20 PM, -JB- said:

Hold up. For all the people saying Kerrigan shouldn’t even be in consideration for the Ring of Fame.  Give me a break, Vince Lombardi is there and he only coached one season.

Are the people saying Kerrigan shouldn’t be in the ROH also signing off on every other member in there?

I wouldn’t have Lombardi in there either 

11 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

If he grabbed 3 more Pro Bowls, sacked Carson Wentz in the NFC Championship in 2020 and knocked the ball loose for a scoop and score, and then did it the following game in the Superbowl to earn the ring, he could see himself in the HoF. 

So, that’s a no. 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Are the people saying Kerrigan shouldn’t be in the ROH also signing off on every other member in there?

I wouldn’t have Lombardi in there either 

So, that’s a no. 

He’s already 3rd on the Skins all-time sacks list.  24 behind Manley who’s #1. You telling me he ends up with the most sacks in Redskins history and he doesn’t belong in the ring of fame?  Pfft.

Borderline ROF, but I think this team will be successful for most of the next four years so there's hope for him to get some more playoffs wins and stats. 

They either trade him this draft or next off season, or he stays through his tenure as the lunch-pail performer. I doubt the return is great, and having a player start and finish their career with a franchise is something that owners can treat as a sign of good leadership.

Without getting too far off topic: Stephen Davis should also be in consideration for the ROH. If Snyder didn't go full Snyder early on and actually made good front office hires, they could have built a truly scary offense around Stephen Davis.

Did you know he averaged 100 yards/game in 1999? I sure didn't. Averaged 4.1 yards/game throughout his career. 4 seasons with 1,000+ yards rushing.

30 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Remember when we projected Portis to be the all-time rushing leader in one of these threads and then he had, like, 500 more yards and never played again?

Projecting 3 and 4 years out on 30 year old football players is a really bad idea.

Also, no.

"No" for Portis, Davis, or Kerrigan (or all three?)

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

None of them are Hall of Famers. All are Ring of Famers. 2 will be on the 81st anniversary or whatever team that Danny will monetize.

Gotcha. Agreed on all counts. I think it's especially important to recognize those stand-out players from the lean years since they probably won't even flash the hardware. None of them even got to play in an NFC Championship Game (Kerrigan still in the running but I don't like his chances right now).

They're not going to Canton but they still deserve recognition for busting their asses on mediocre ball teams. 

Archived