Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Kerrigan future HOFer?

bh32

Well, that’s over 33 sacks a year, so yes.  

Seriously though, I don’t know.  He’s borderline, IMO.  No team success to help him out - I think he is (might be viewed as) a good player that managed to stay healthy, resulting in a good career.  

I’d probably say he’s a Ring if Honor guy, but not quite a HOFer.  

I think he has to have a DMVP top 3 type of year. Or keep up the numbers for much longer to be in the conversation.

You got guys like Elvis Dumervil who aren't really in the conversation at 105 sacks. And guys like Leslie O'Neal 132 sacks whose put up JJ Watt sack numbers in a season (17.5 in '92) is tied career wise with LT and is barely teased about the HOF. O'Neal might be the kinda guy who gets in much later down the road. At Kerrigan's rate now, he's gonna be in Jim Jeffcoat territory. Around 100 sacks but probably not in the conversation.

He would have to have more of an individual impact in a game.  He is a good player who plays well even if others around him are not.  I think teams do gameplan for him as well to some extent.  However, I don't think he is up in the ranks of edge rushers and linebackers who are in the Hall.  The mediocrity of our team does not help either.  A few seasons where he stands out and solely influences games during the season may help him in.  

28 minutes ago, Mr. S said:

He would have to have more of an individual impact in a game.  He is a good player who plays well even if others around him are not.  I think teams do gameplan for him as well to some extent.  However, I don't think he is up in the ranks of edge rushers and linebackers who are in the Hall.  The mediocrity of our team does not help either.  A few seasons where he stands out and solely influences games during the season may help him in.  

Awesome sig image, but FYI, you need an "E" in "Coleman". The "E" stands for "Exceptional," and he deserves that E. 

While I agree with the prevailing sentiment, I do wonder how much better he could be if the talent around him was better.  He's been one of the best players on crappy D's for his career here.  If offenses had to worry about others on the D-line or had to hold their passes because someone actually covered their receivers, his stats would be even better.  We'll never know though.

Does he get 50+ more sacks before his career is over? If you believe yes than he will be a HOF.... that is insanely hard to project one war or another.

He is entering his age 30 season.... if he gets 13.5 sacks again he will be at 85 sacks...... From there you figure maybe he plays until he is 34-36 (another 4 to 6 seasons). He certainly has a shot

In my book, he's not even close. Good player. Double digit sackers are rare, but HOF is reserved for the elite and the game changers. Kerrigan hasn't altered the course of enough games.

Unlike Momma, I could see him in the Ring of Fame and would support that. He's been a very good player for us and a commendable Redskins' citizen.

Ok, I already responded with my take, but to play devil’s advocate, Kerrigan only has 2 active players ahead of him in career sacks drafted in 2011 or later.  JJ Watt and Von Miller.  Both drafted the same year Kerrigan was of course - 2011.  

Same amount of forced fumbles as Miller, 7 more than Watt.  More INTs/INTs returned for TDs than both.

Obviously there’s more to the picture, but interesting nonetheless.  

7 hours ago, Burgold said:

He's been a very good player for us and a commendable Redskins' citizen.

I view the ROH as our team version of the HOF. I just don’t think he’s been very memorable or even tops at his position for this era. He’s not dynamic or special and he’s not a game changer. Add to that the team hasn’t been good either. 

Trent would get a ROH considerstion for me because of his level of play against his contemporaries whereas I don’t think Kerrigan stacks up as well in that regard either 

Simeon Rice has 122 and hasn't even been a finalist yet.  I think he will eventually get in down the road but that's probably the number you're looking at to even get some consideration. Kerrigan gets there in the next 5 years if he averages about 10 per season. He's got a shot at the Hall if he plays into his late 30's at a somewhat productive level. 

Archived