Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

On 8/8/2020 at 7:15 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

If Sims doesn’t light things up this season, we are a prime team to pay JuJu high WR2/low WR1 money next offseason. Seems unlikely PIT pays him, because he’s better in the slot and not an alpha #1 option—which, at 23/24 years old makes him the perfect young complementary possession/YAC option in the slot next to McLaurin if Sims doesn’t exceed expectations in an impressive way for an UDFA. 

I think Sims jr. is gonna be special. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Someone want to tell me how the Eagles are 6th? Ertz is a great TE, but Jackson hasn't played a full season in 7 years, Jeffrey is hurt again, Reagor is a rookie. They don't belong in the same breath as the Browns, Saints, Cowboys et al. And the Giants 12th? This is a terrible list.

They are including TEs in this and you can make a very strong argument that the Eagles actually have two top-10 TEs on their roster—Goedurt might actually be better than Ertz already, he’s excellent unfortunately. I agree that it isn’t enough to balance out their weak WR corps and make them ranked that highly, though a highly visible 1st round talent will usually inflate expectations on paper. 

Yeah I would take their TEs in a second, but the wide receivers are pedestrian at best. The one that is scratching my head is the Giants. Slayton is good, at 22, has a lot of upside. However, who else do they have? Shepherd is 27, how much is his upside?  Engram has talent, but has played just 19 games in 2 years. Tate is 31. Who else do they have?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I think Sims jr. is gonna be special. 

I REALLY REALLY hope we use him right.  I want him EVERYWHERE.  Get that man the ball and let him work.   I dont want to stick him opposite Mclaurin and expect him to run 4 routes and be effective.  As frustrating and vanilla that last season was, I liked some of the aspects of how Sims was used.  Jet sweeps, reverse, bubble screen, KR/PR, Slot, X, Y... ALL of it.  Move him around and get matchups. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I REALLY REALLY hope we use him right.  I want him EVERYWHERE.  Get that man the ball and let him work.   I dont want to stick him opposite Mclaurin and expect him to run 4 routes and be effective.  As frustrating and vanilla that last season was, I liked some of the aspects of how Sims was used.  Jet sweeps, reverse, bubble screen, KR/PR, Slot, X, Y... ALL of it.  Move him around and get matchups. 

By all accounts that's exactly what they are doing thankfully. Both him and Mclaurin seem to be saying that one of they're main priorities for off-season work was expanding their route tree and Sims mentioned in this interview IIRC that they had him working the same stuff as last year, plus on the outside and even single receiver sets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The other nice thing about that play to Quinn, is one of the things people get on him about is his speed, but he just simply outran that DB in what appeared to be a Go route.

That could have been a beautiful long play for a TD if it was thrown right. And who would have expected such a thing from Quinn ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Watch that last play over and over a few times. And watch Terry down at the bottom and Trey (circled) and you'll see a huge difference between them as far as suddenness in their release, suddenness in their breaks, and overall play speed. Granted Terry is already close to an elite level, but it really gives you a close look at how different those things are between a top tier WR and a mediocre WR. Quinn runs decent routes and he isn't slow, but he really lacks the suddenness to help him create separation...especially in short areas. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Watch that last play over and over a few times. And watch Terry down at the bottom and Trey (circled) and you'll see a huge difference between them as far as suddenness in their release, suddenness in their breaks, and overall play speed. Granted Terry is already close to an elite level, but it really gives you a close look at how different those things are between a top tier WR and a mediocre WR. Quinn runs decent routes and he isn't slow, but he really lacks the suddenness to help him create separation...especially in short areas. 

I don't think that's Terry.  According to PFR, he didn't play week 4 against the Giants.

257194972_ScreenShot2020-08-20at12_51_49PM.thumb.png.ae4bda9076b743008d25f7399d482bb8.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't think that's Terry.  According to PFR, he didn't play week 4 against the Giants.

257194972_ScreenShot2020-08-20at12_51_49PM.thumb.png.ae4bda9076b743008d25f7399d482bb8.png

My bad then. I was looking at his jersey and could have sworn I saw 17. Might have been Harmon.

Either way, if you watch them there's a huge difference in the suddenness. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Granted Terry is already close to an elite level, but it really gives you a close look at how different those things are between a top tier WR and a mediocre WR. Quinn runs decent routes and he isn't slow, but he really lacks the suddenness to help him create separation...especially in short areas. 

Not everyone can be like Terry McLaurin though. :)

No shame in that

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Terry was the talk of camp from day 1 last season, it was clear he was special and more than advertised from the jump. Gibson is getting some of that type of buzz but it appears we aren’t gonna see a surprise stud from the WR group itself. It was a longshot anyways, but it seems AGG looks like a “normal” rookie with potential so far. Which is absolutely fine and to be expected, obviously. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Terry was the talk of camp from day 1 last season, it was clear he was special and more than advertised from the jump. Gibson is getting some of that type of buzz but it appears we aren’t gonna see a surprise stud from the WR group itself. It was a longshot anyways, but it seems AGG looks like a “normal” rookie with potential so far. Which is absolutely fine and to be expected, obviously. 

Yeah a mid or late round rookie coming in and blowing everyone away is really rare...especially at the WR position where so much nuance is required to be great. I think we got spoiled with Terry last season. We shouldn't expect our other mid or late round rookie receivers to do the same thing; it isn't realistic or fair (tough Gibson was a 2nd rounder so there's probably a bit higher expectation for him to be decent earlier).

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would be disappointed if Quinn received a heavy workload in this offense.

There is a solidified spot on this roster for Quinn, as a back up slot.

While he wont push Sims for playing time, slot receivers tend to be small and it’s a lot harder for them to make it through 16 games. Even harder if that same guy in your punk/kick returner.

Quinn not only has experience in the slot, he has experience returning kicks to boot. When Sims needs to miss a week or two, Quinn can fill right into that missing void. Unless Inman can, (I don’t know) I don’t believe there is another receiver on our current roster that can properly fill in Sims role.

I expect Quinn to make this roster even if starting out on the practice squad. I also expect him to start spot games. This team has nearly zero depth at WO. Quinn is one of the only ones we do have.

I won’t be quick to bury Quinn into an early NFL grave. (Zombie Pun)

Edited by FootballZombie

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah a mid or late round rookie coming in and blowing everyone away is really rare...especially at the WR position where so much nuance is required to be great. I think we got spoiled with Terry last season. We shouldn't expect our other mid or late round rookie receivers to do the same thing; it isn't realistic or fair (tough Gibson was a 2nd rounder so there's probably a bit higher expectation for him to be decent earlier).

3rd rounder.  Our 2nd rounder was part of last year's trade up for the **** love child of the Incredible Hulk and the Flash.

(That **** is a legitimate word but I'll rephrase:  "illegitimate")

Edited by GothSkinsFan

9 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

3rd rounder.  Our 2nd rounder was part of last year's trade up for the **** love child of the Incredible Hulk and the Flash.

(That **** is a legitimate word but I'll rephrase:  "illegitimate")

Ah, right you are. Thanks for the correction. I was mistaking second draft pick for second round.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I don’t think that is the best word here. I think Trey Quinn’s footwork is the problem more so than his suddenness or explosiveness. His 10 and 20 yd combine splits are both only 0.01 slower than Turbo’s.

What he lacks, compared to Terry, is top and speed and clean releases from his breaks. He has the physical gifts needed to get short yard separation, he just has to greatly improve his footwork. With better steps, he can take advantage of his gifts and get that separation.

The deep ball is what I am worried about. Like Zombie’s left foot, the top end speed just is not there.

Trey Quinn should not be on this team. I know everyone was hoping he would be our Julian Edelman because he’s similar in size and let’s face it because he’s white. I said last year Sims would be a better option at the slot and he is our best option there. AG will be our next up once he gets comfortable and gains some experience. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

On a well timed go route, any receiver should be able to blow by a back-peddling corner or safety. 

Not against NFL off coverage. NFL DB transition game is on a different level.  The reason Trey Quinn won on that first route is because he successfully sold the short out and caught that DB wanting to sit on it.  Quinn fooled him.

Quinn has some patience and subtlety in his route-running.  It's better than I thought.  Problem for him is he's not big and he's not fast.  It is really hard to make it in this league if you don't have something physically that you can do better than most of the guys covering you.  But our WR corps is so bad and so inexperienced that he's going to get chances to play here.

• Like 1