Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wonder what's up with Jehu Chesson. He's in the roster, probably as the 5th wr above Quick, plays teams. But does he have any ability? He's 6'3 and runs a 4. 4 40, former 4th rounder, that should count for something. I know he had a drop early this season, but with all the injuries I'd think he'd be getting more looks 

We'll probably see more of him against the Bucs. What do we have now, just 4 healthy WR's ?

If I'm not mistaken, all we have healthy on the 53 right now, are

Doctson

Harris

Quick

Chesson

If a receiver gets hurt mid-game against Tampa, we might even see Bibbs line up wide out (of course, Reed and Davis, too)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Its gonna be a great game, how will Tampa handle our explosive offense, I bet they haven't slept in days worrying about the likes of Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed, Mo Harris, and Brian Quick.

But then again, those guys may very well look explosive against their defense that has given up:

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

But then again, those guys may very well look explosive against their defense that has given up:

I gotta see it before I can believe it

Atlanta has given up the 4th most points per game and they killed us.

Indy has given up the 8th most points per game and they killed us.

New Orleans has given up the 6th most points per game and they killed us.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Have we, officially, though ?

Technically both of those guys are still on IR.

The talk is that those 2 will be the ones who come off IR, but I don't think it's set in stone yet.

I dont have confirmation... just what ive read. Youre likely right that the moves have not technically taken place so nothing is done... yet.

I guess its safe to say Crowder has a high ankle sprain. or has something worse than a sprain.  What is the other most common injury to the ankle after a sprain anyways.  Something lligament.

But he does seem to be making progress. I assume he and Quinn will both be ready the same week because it'd be so us.

I would love to see a max speed package tried. Sure, we cannot compile one to proper standards any time soon, so a waterbuggery offensive set will have to suffice, and would seem to have a place in the modern game.  Losing PRich dampers my new scheme aspirations, but still - I want to see Quinn Crowder and Thompson on the field together before the seasons over.  Jay has to do something different to try to open up our offense. He has to scheme it up. Our personnel is what it is at this point including  Alex. 

I wonder how the passing game would look if Alex and WRs played 2 full preseason games. The only thing that will cure it now are reps. Jay has probably played all his cards at this point.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I guess its safe to say Crowder has a high ankle sprain. or has something worse than a sprain.  What is the other most common injury to the ankle after a sprain anyways.  Something lligament.

But he does seem to be making progress. I assume he and Quinn will both be ready the same week because it'd be so us.

I would love to see a max speed package tried. Sure, we cannot compile one to proper standards any time soon, so a waterbuggery offensive set will have to suffice, and would seem to have a place in the modern game.  Losing PRich dampers my new scheme aspirations, but still - I want to see Quinn Crowder and Thompson on the field together before the seasons over.  Jay has to do something different to try to open up our offense. He has to scheme it up. Our personnel is what it is at this point including  Alex. 

I wonder how the passing game would look if Alex and WRs played 2 full preseason games. The only thing that will cure it now are reps. Jay has probably played all his cards at this point.

It probably does not look much better. I would hope his accuracy would be up, but other than that, Alex is actually on pace to have his 2nd best year in terms of yards, and right in his average while with the Chiefs with just about everything else.

This is Alex Smith. This is what was sold as a "upgrade".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

It probably does not look much better. I would hope his accuracy would be up, but other than that, Alex is actually on pace to have his 2nd best year in terms of yards, and right in his average while with the Chiefs with just about everything else.

For a second I thought you were attempting to bash Alex, then I remembered your logic guarantees us 10 wins and a playoff birth. 

You are alright in my book. Look at you being all positive and stuff. 

Edited by wit33
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

True, but there are still a lot of yards and points being left on the field. Gruden has an offense that can move the ball and we keep seeing mistakes. 

Case in point, Doctson has two critical drops early last week. There were a bunch of holding penalties, and Smith missed some guys. I'm not saying he should average 400 yds per week, but it's not far reaching to say that if he makes 2 more of those a game, it's two more TDs and suddenly the games are nowhere near as close. 

11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

True, but there are still a lot of yards and points being left on the field. Gruden has an offense that can move the ball and we keep seeing mistakes. 

Case in point, Doctson has two critical drops early last week. There were a bunch of holding penalties, and Smith missed some guys. I'm not saying he should average 400 yds per week, but it's not far reaching to say that if he makes 2 more of those a game, it's two more TDs and suddenly the games are nowhere near as close. 

Well, Doctson has been dropping balls since he got here. So there is that.

But the fact of the matter is as much as you want him to, Alex is not all of a sudden get much better. First, he's not the kind of QB that can elevate the play of those around him. He's really not playing "bad" football for Alex Smith. It's not his best, but it's far from his worst. If he had healthy elite playmakers everywhere, he'd look more like he did last year, but he doesn't.

Are there guys open that is isn't throwing the ball to? Yes, but I don't think that's going to improve. It's the way he plays QB. So yards are always going to be left on the field because Alex is not going to take chances. I think Gruden got sold that Alex was going to be a better version of what he did in 17', when that was actually a anomaly, and he's going to be more like the 16' version.

I also think he's a bad fit for Gruden's system. and know Gruden is trying to figure out how to get more out of Smith. And I think to do so, he's going to have to go really heavy with RPO stuff, but I don't think the rest of the team is really set up well for that.

Edited by Morneblade

Skins WR core needs to be retooled in the offseason.  Richardson produced but he has a history of injuries and he's just not suited to catching balls where he's going to be hit hard.  Mo Harris may turn into a move-the-chains slot receiver.  I'm hoping Quinn can become your shifty slot WR in the second half.  If not, then there's really not much left on the roster.  I don't think the Skins can pay Crowder given his injury history so he's probably go elsewhere and produce big time when he's not the only offensive weapon.    

This team needs speed bad, when 4.6 40 Mo Harris is running your jet sweeps, we are in bad shape.  Not one wr playinh can run a sub 4.5 that is absolutely terrible here are our wr 40 times

Richardson 4.4

Crowder 4.46

Floyd 4.47 before getting injured

Doctson 4.5

Harris 4.55

Quinn 4.55

Quick 4.56

Sim 4.59

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dckey said:

This team needs speed bad, when 4.6 40 Mo Harris is running your jet sweeps, we are in bad shape.  Not one wr playinh can run a sub 4.5 that is absolutely terrible here are our wr 40 times

Richardson 4.4

Crowder 4.46

Doctson 4.5

Harris 4.55

Quinn 4.55

Quick 4.56

Sim 4.59

I think they will try hard to select a WR with their first draft pick. They probably NEED to go with a cheaper rookie, since Paul is costing so much. They will enjoy the cap relief of dumping Reed and maybe VD as well, but then they open up great TE need too. Other than rush LB, the defense looks pretty solid next year as is.. so I wouldn't be surprised or unhappy with lots of O-help in the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

How fast was the WR core in Cincy? I figure Green is fast but maybe I'm wrong. 

I'll say that today is the first time all year I've felt like we could be a wr led offense, not TE first, nor RBs first, but looking at Harris and Doctson first. They had 9 receptions on 9 targets with almost 100 yards

Fastest time ever John Ross 4.22

AJ Green 4.48

Tyler Boyd 4.5

4 hours ago, dckey said:

Richardson 4.4

Crowder 4.46

Doctson 4.5

Harris 4.55

Quinn 4.55

Quick 4.56

Sim 4.59

Crowder ran a 4.56 at the combine.

Edited by mistertim
  • Sad 1