Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Holy toe tags Batman! 

If that happened, ES would go into full blown meltdown. 

Bruce would probably be considered incompetent and claims that he is clueless would be all over sports radio, with comments of Bruce choked under pressure and lost the Russian roulette game, and the team would be considered a laughing stock [ moreso than before ] .

On a different topic, what do agents like Cousins' make ?  Do they get a flat fee or do they get a % of a player's contract? I'm sure they make more if their client makes more, but is there any type of ceiling for them or is the sky the limit?

I know it's capped by the NFL Players Association. I believe it's about 3% of the first contract and goes down with each subsequent contract. It's different for endorsements where they can get closer to 10% or even more depending. That's not regulated by the NFLPA so it's whatever the player and agent agree to.

Yea, it might be worth the show to have it happen. But it's not - just having some fun. 

13 hours ago, Acworth skins fan said:

I believe that all this talk about tag and trade is fan and talking head BS. Fans that are upset about getting nothing in return, and the writers that have nothing to do at this time of year. 

No kidding, like Kirk Cousins is suddenly a victim here after only only making 40+ million for two forgettable seasons.

Poor poor baby, no one respects him no one thinks a guy who’s last game was his worst professional outing is some superstar just being held down by the man.

Can’t decide if this makes me laugh or want to vomit, probably a little of both. 

But but but but he threw for 4000 yards hahaha puke. He’s the greatest since sliced bread hahaha vomit. Good gosh, where is Jim Cornette when I need him? Thank you..well you know the rest

4 minutes ago, carex said:

you have proof that the seriously overpaying was because we had to give them that money rather than just opening with a bid no one else would match?

Of course I do not, just you do not have proof of the other. But just look at who we signed and how much was paid vs. other players of equal skill level. The team was so known for over-paying FAs that the Redskins at one point were interested in every FA on the market fro the sole reason of driving their contract higher. That's about as much proof as I need.  

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Of course I do not, just you do not have proof of the other. But just look at who we signed and how much was paid vs. other players of equal skill level. The team was so known for over-paying FAs that the Redskins at one point were interested in every FA on the market fro the sole reason of driving their contract higher. That's about as much proof as I need.  

considering th Skins results it's just as likely at the time the Skins were misjudging skill level

This narrative by the AntiKirks that everyone keeps talking about poor Kirk is probably more pathetic then their pedestrian analysis of his play.  

I’ve yet to see anyone say anything of that nature.  The constant posts being made as if that’s the case speaks to the true character flaws within those folks more than anything else.  Yet it’s the Kirk supporters who are salty? 

:rofl89:

If I was a big FO fan, I would be concerned about tagging Kirk unless I was very confidant based on what my in house lawyers told me -- Schaffer?  Otherwise, I wouldn't want them to look foolish or do something foolish that may impede the start of FA and the perception that this is a sound organization for prospective FA prospects.

But I am in the burn the house down mode so more foolish is what I am rooting for.  The slew of other stories brewing around Bruce of late which I think has put him in Cerrato territory is becoming not just a local but now also a national punch line...has got me excited for them to go full bore and tag him.  

If they plan to play this out.  I'd presume they tag him late not early.  So if they do it I doubt its this Tuesday.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/19/quarterback-free-agency-draft-peter-king-mmqb

I think it’s very hard for me to imagine Washington giving Kirk Cousins the franchise tag for one simple reason: When you put a franchise tag on a player, you intend to employ him at that rate of pay for the season. Washington intends to employ Alex Smith as it quarterback for 2018 and beyond. So if the team does tag Cousins, he would immediately file a grievance to block it, as our Albert Breer reported Thursday. And Cousins would win easily.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This narrative by the AntiKirks that everyone keeps talking about poor Kirk is probably more pathetic then their pedestrian analysis of his play.  

There are three undercurrents to the Kirk narrative which I find interesting

A.  Does Kirk actually give a team he likes a discount. There is some narrative along the lines if a team he really likes lets say the Vikings pursue him -- he gives them a team friendly deal. 

B.  Does a team just go nuts with a big contract that shatters the QB contract scene even more.

C.  The begging from NFL players, fans and local media for Kirk to head there.

To me, I'd sum all three of those things this way.   

A.  The idea of Kirk giving a discount to another team would reaffirm his distaste for FO-Bruce -- and if anything it would be a dig.   This to me would be worse case scenario for Bruce/FO perception wise.  I understand some of Kirk critics would criticize any outcome as vindication for the FO -- but they'd be in the minority.   This scenario is the one I am rooting for. 

B.  The skyrocket salary = some or multiple FOs believe big in Kirk.  Maybe they are into the Cooley narrative that Kirk is on the verge of elite or close enough to it.  Is this vindication of our FO?  Only if we perceive our FO as the superior talent evaluators to the other team's FO and or it plays out poorly for Kirk.

C. The begging of these players amuse me.  I'd presume since these guys play the game and know a little about the sport.  If they thought Kirk was just "meh" they wouldn't be embarrassing themselves like that.  Again, will see.

My thing about Kirk is I am not attached to any player.  That includes him.  I am not rooting for another team aside the Redskins.  But if this FO stays intact through next season, I am rooting for Kirk to have a big year.  Reason being:  his play would be a running commentary about our current FO and it might exact change.  I realize some of Kirk's critics here are also not fans of the FO and some are. 

For those people who are critics of the FO, in their shoes, I'd root for Kirk to do well.   IMO in the big picture who cares about comments on a message board.  I've been really right about some players-coaches, etc.  I've also been really wrong.  And I've changed my mind plenty.  I am not a professional football guy.  My predictions and thoughts mean nothing to my career or the Redskins for that matter. 

IMO the big picture relating to this isn't about Kirk anymore but the FO.  If you told me I'd stick my neck out on a player and end up looking dead wrong on said player and in return the FO would change -- I'd take it 100 times out of 100 times.   Bill Parcell's liked to say the best personnel guys bat 50-50.   So yeah we are all going to get things colossally wrong.  And if we do, so what?    Now, back to this, if the FO changes before the season.  I wouldn't care one whit how Kirk performs.   But at the moment I think Bruce's rep rests in part with Kirk.  I'd feel differently if he had it cooking well on other fronts.  But the dude's rep is under siege on multiple fronts right now.

7 hours ago, zskins said:

It is not because it is a part of the deal. Read this article and you will see why it would not be a good idea to select a QB in the first couple of rounds:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-wont-draft-quarterback-early-and-heres-why

One thing not talked about in this article is drafting a rookie QB prospect who would occupy a roster spot for 2-3 yrs and wouldn't make it to the PS as seen by Sudfield situation.  

I'm curious as to what others think.

So let's say the FO goes crazy and actually tags Kirk and he files a grievance.

Supposedly the basis for the grievance would be that the Redskins are "violating the collective bargaining agreement because the team has no intention of engaging in good-faith negotiations for a long-term deal".

Couldn't the Redskins say Kirk did the same thing in the 2017 offseason by not countering the offer that was made public and make their own grievance that the player was "historically" uncooperative?

It may be a stretch but I think a good attorney could do something with this.

tag him already, if he wants to sign sure well be in cap hell but you know what cousins will be sitting the bench all next year doing nothing. maybe holding a clipboard lol. no way in hell does cousins sign it cause you know he wouldn't even see one minute.  grieve away patriots did it, doesn't matter if cassell agreed or didn't, the point is there is precedence.  whats the worse that happen? bruce will get fired? haha do it!

10 hours ago, zskins said:

It is not because it is a part of the deal. Read this article and you will see why it would not be a good idea to select a QB in the first couple of rounds:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-wont-draft-quarterback-early-and-heres-why

Well, that's a fair point but it wasn't the situation I was talking about. That's more of a logistical issue. I was talking about the rumors that part of the deal when we agreed to the trade was that we wouldn't draft Smith's replacement this year and that was something that Smith requested. Not sure how real that is and if true if it's just a verbal handshake sort of thing or if it will actually be in the contract.

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve yet to see anyone say anything of that nature.  The constant posts being made as if that’s the case speaks to the true character flaws within those folks more than anything else.  Yet it’s the Kirk supporters who are salty? 

:rofl89:

Wait, so that means you consider your analysis of his place to be expert level by comparison? Even Cooley, who is a Kirk homer, has admitted to some of the same issues in Kirk's play, though he downplays them a bit.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Couldn't the Redskins say Kirk did the same thing in the 2017 offseason by not countering the offer that was made public and make their own grievance that the player was "historically" uncooperative?

No. The team decided to use the tag last off-season, not Kirk. Kirk only committed to a one year deal when he signed the tag.

Having said that, I don't think a filed grievance will hold up. Kirk refusing to sign the tag for some period of time is his only leverage IMO (assuming the team would already have a deal in place before he was tagged).

20 minutes ago, Tay said:

No. The team decided to use the tag last off-season, not Kirk. Kirk only committed to a one year deal when he signed the tag.

Having said that, I don't think a filed grievance will hold up. Kirk refusing to sign the tag for some period of time is his only leverage IMO (assuming the team would already have a deal in place before he was tagged).

I disagree... I believe if we try to play this card and Kirk files, I could see us not only losing his hearing, but also losing that 3rd round compensatory pick we all assume we're gonna get.  Something tells me that the players union and the NFL aren't going to want the tag and trade trend to become a thing because it gives even more power to the team and less to the player.  We're not breaking any 'rules' as of now, but this is a major moral low ground if we do this out of spite... 

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wait, so that means you consider your analysis of his place to be expert level by comparison? Even Cooley, who is a Kirk homer, has admitted to some of the same issues in Kirk's play, though he downplays them a bit.

Where did I say my analysis was expert anything, anywhere, ever?

In fact, when was the last time I even ventured down the rabbit hole to debate his play?  It’s been a while.  

When did I ever say his game is flawless? Never.

My point was it’s the same goons who manipulate and cherry pick Kirk’s play to fit their opinion, who keep talking about this make believe pity party folks are having for Kirk.  It’s ridiculous.  Somehow acknowledging the organizational failure that is Bruce Allen and his handling of the quarterback situation equates to folks thinking “poor baby Kirk”.  That is the extremely weak sauce that keeps drowning the main course.

4 hours ago, bobandweave said:

No kidding, like Kirk Cousins is suddenly a victim here after only only making 40+ million for two forgettable seasons.

Poor poor baby, no one respects him no one thinks a guy who’s last game was his worst professional outing is some superstar just being held down by the man.

Can’t decide if this makes me laugh or want to vomit, probably a little of both. 

But but but but he threw for 4000 yards hahaha puke. He’s the greatest since sliced bread hahaha vomit. Good gosh, where is Jim Cornette when I need him? Thank you..well you know the rest

Confused, you think that I’m saying poor Kirk? And I’m post makes you want to vommit? Again confused here. 

More Snyder inspired sewage, nothing fresh, healthy and pleasing comes from Snyder.  A few more weeks and hopefully Kirk will be signed with the Minnesota, that is my first hope.  Maybe Jacksonville, Phoenix or Denver in any case a vast improvement.  

I can't wait to climb on the bandwagon and share the joy of a new beginning ripe with fresh hopes and fans excited about their new franchise QB and the prospects of a Super Bowl run!  What a change and just in time for spring!

24 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I know I keep saying this, and I know I keep underestimating Bruce Allens stupidity and incompetence.....but even Bruce Allen isnt dumb enough to tag Kirk.

the same way he wasn't stupid enough to load up in an uncapped year after being told it was not the right thing to do.... oh

36 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

More Snyder inspired sewage, nothing fresh, healthy and pleasing comes from Snyder.  A few more weeks and hopefully Kirk will be signed with the Minnesota, that is my first hope.  Maybe Jacksonville, Phoenix or Denver in any case a vast improvement.  

I can't wait to climb on the bandwagon and share the joy of a new beginning ripe with fresh hopes and fans excited about their new franchise QB and the prospects of a Super Bowl run!  What a change and just in time for spring!

My bet is if you are following Kirk out the door -- I wouldn't discount the Jets as a possibility.  They got the cap room.  And national guys say they are absolutely in love with Kirk.  They have a Shanny connected offensive coordinator.   My neighbor is a big Jets fans.  A lot of them are doing here in South Florida.  It's a bit of a snake bitten organization like the Redskins.  So it might be an interesting ride for you.  Some of my in-laws are Jets fans (Jets-Giants) so if he ends up there -- be interesting for me since I'd have a hard time escaping Kirk narratives.

My guess right now as to where he ended up:  1.  Jets    2.  Vikings   3.  Denver

17 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think there are a couple of late round gems who could be groomed for a year or two behind him like Lauletta or White.

No, just no!

Every years fans think there's a late round gem, when in fact there is not.  Once a decade you will see a Brady or a Warner or hell even a Romo, where the latter 2 are not even picks, but they are FA's.  Fact is there are next to never late round gem QB's.......UNLESS POSSIBLY......You're patient!!!!  Which history proves the Redskins are not even close to patient.

I'd rather try and find some hard working special teams contributor trying to make the team, then some QB that will never take us anywhere.  Pick a year, any year, and look at the results for all theses late round gems.  Waste of a pick if you ask me. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

My bet is if you are following Kirk out the door -- I wouldn't discount the Jets as a possibility.  They got the cap room.  And national guys say they are absolutely in love with Kirk.    My neighbor is a big Jets fans.  A lot of them are doing here in South Florida.  It's a bit of a snake bitten organization like the Redskins.  So it might be an interesting ride for you.

My guess right now as to where he ended up:  1.  Jets    2.  Vikings   3.  Denver

Funny you should say that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jets-pay-whatever-takes-154848534.html?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=yahoosports&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I think there is quite a lot of precedence. Our own team - how long did we go not being able to land quality FAs without seriously over paying - I get FAs get over paid. But we seemed to have to through the nose and not ever really getting the players that actually make a difference. Just ones looking for a paycheck - isn't Dan still paying Deion Sander? How many quality FAs go to Cleveland? Yet NE can sign anyone they want. That's just a few examples - the extremes I admit. But there are others. In fairness Bruce has changed that some - Zach brown comes to mind - DJ Swearinger in another. 

My point on 'there is no evidence to suggest this is the way the NFL operates' isn't about overpaying for free agents. It was in counter to your suggestion that NFL free agents will look at how we have dealt with Kirk and that will influence their decision making process. I can't see that all, that's not how I believe the NFL works and that is not what I have seen evidence of. 

One resepcted player out of the door in Kirk, another one through the door in Alex. Players will not be bothered about Kirks situation. When I said about feeling sorry for Kirk, I didn't mean you. I was meaning the rest of the NFL.

Therefore, what is going on between us and him impacts nothing with regards to our future dealings with FA themselves, maybe other than the fact we will have pissed off Kirks agent, and maybe Kirk if he doesn't get to his team of choice. There could be beef on a personal level, but I don't care too much about that.

This whole grievance thing could be fun. I sense a lot of drama over nothing theirs. I mean, maybe when a player refuses to sign a tag the team in question can file a grievance. Nonsense really.

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah I saw that but even before that point -- a lot of noise that the Jets are the most eager to do whatever it takes financially and their FO loves Kirk the most.  NY papers have already had Kirk on their cover.    They seem to see Kirk as the be all and end all to escape the dungeon and have a shot at the promised land. 

That's the team that can offer it all to Kirk.  You want a FO who loves you?  You want a lot of guaranteed money?  You want an offense that fits your skills and is tied to your mentor-Shanny?  You want a defense that doesn't give up a gazillion points?  Jets, Jets, Jets, Jets.

Archived