Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

7 hours ago, bobandweave said:

People are going to crap on the team no matter what Kirk signs for. If it’s a good deal for the next team it will be a blemish on the Skins for not keeping him. If he signs for a mega deal it will be a blemish on the team for tagging him twice and not getting anything done.

No respect will be given to the fact that in the end Kirk wouldn’t have signed here regardless.

No matter what happens the haters are gonna hate, that’s what they do. No reason to sweat it when we all know the truth Kirk was outta here and never going to stay anyway 

So the fact that Kirk and his agent made a very reasonable offer that was ignored after 2015 actually occurred in an alternate reality? :ols:

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

So the fact that Kirk and his agent made a very reasonable offer that was ignored after 2015 actually occurred in an alternate reality? :ols:

Depends which story you believe.  There are reports he was looking for over 22 million. 

12 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

Depends which story you believe.  There are reports he was looking for over 22 million. 

Which is irrelevant to the claim that "Kirk Cousins would never sign with the Redskins so the team did everything that they could"

Remember that this is the team that was willing to pay RG3 15M after looking like a high school QB when he wasn't injured in 2014. 

Then after Kirk prevented their buffoonery by playing an entire 16 game season and setting team records in the process, they offered him 12 a year. :ols:

I'm actually surprised that he was willing to stay at that point but McVay was still here and and along with Scot and Jay telling him what he wanted to hear.he didn't see the full clown show yet.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Which is irrelevant to the claim that "Kirk Cousins would never sign with the Redskins so the team did everything that they could"

Remember that this is the team that was willing to pay RG3 15M after looking like a high school QB when he wasn't injured in 2014. 

Then after Kirk prevented their buffoonery by playing an entire 16 game season and setting team records in the process, they offered him 12 a year. :ols:

I'm actually surprised that he was willing to stay at that point but McVay was still here and and along with Scot and Jay telling him what he wanted to hear.he didn't see the full clown show yet.

And they just paid Cousins 24 million.

Even though his qb rating has declined every year since starting.

1 minute ago, Dan73 said:

And they just paid Cousins 24 million.

Even though his qb rating has declined every year since starting.

Which is irrelevant to the claim that "Kirk Cousins would never sign with the Redskins so the team did everything that they could".

But what was the reason that they had to pay Kirk Cousins 24M for a single season when they decided against paying him more than 12 the previous year?

11 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Which is irrelevant to the claim that "Kirk Cousins would never sign with the Redskins so the team did everything that they could".

But what was the reason that they had to pay Kirk Cousins 24M for a single season when they decided against paying him more than 12 the previous year?

Giving him one chance to prove it. They offered him 53 million guaranteed before the season.  Thank goodness he said no.

17 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

What about Denver? I would consider them to be one of the most aggressive teams for his services and I would think he'd be really excited about playing for Elway? 

I can't see him going to NY Jets if only because of the media market there. I am holding out hope that Elway offers a player and a #3, or a swap of 1st or 2nd round picks for the rights to KC in a sign and trade deal to keep KC from talking to other teams. Pipe dream maybe, but that's what I'm hoping for. 

Yeah, that would've been my first thought, too........that Cousins would wind up in Denver. So you, me, and @UK SKINS FAN '74 are thinking along the same lines on that. But a few reasons made me feel like it was less likely to come about. For one thing, Vance Joseph might not (and probably won't) be there long. That means coaching staff turnover. It was a terrible hire to begin with, and then he demonstrated his ilk by putting together one of the worst coaching staffs in the league. There's a reason that Denver regressed so much last year. So if Cousins is looking for stability/continuity, Denver might not be the optimal choice. Secondly, the Broncos cap situation is not good. It'll take some very creative recalibration to accommodate Cousins' salary demands. Third, the presence of Bill Musgrave. I definitely believe that Cousins needs to go to a team with a strong QB coach. Musgrave has consistently been one of the best, but now he's the OC. I don't think Cousins fits the kind of offense Musgrave runs, and would be skeptical that Musgrave would want him as his QB. Maybe a full off-season working with him could help ease the transition. Lastly, any sign and trade deal would imply the Skins doing Cousins a favor by shipping him to his desired team. I don't see George Allen's son doing Cousins and McCartney any favors, especially if the Broncos' desire for Cousins is born of M. Shanahan's endorsements to Elway.

I do have a sleeper team in the Cousins 

7 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

2015 was so three years ago. Why dwell on that when he couldn’t win more then 8 games in the next two seasons? I mean your talking about seasons when the offense was loaded with two of the NFLs only twenty five 1000 yard receivers, a TE when healthy is top three in the league, and a top five offensive line (according to PFF rankings).

If he couldn’t do anything with those teams what makes you think he can do it with less? He showed in the 2017 season he can’t lift a team to anything. Lots of journeymen QBs out there for much less if all your wanting is a 500 team

But hey if you want to bring up the past and pretend that Cousins in 2015 had started off great with his 3-5 record to start the season and because he ended that year with four wins over the worst teams in the league and deserved a huge contract then more power to ya.

I don’t think that the 49ers made the right move paying Jimmy after five starts and I didn’t think after four wins over the worst teams in the league was deserving of a contract for Cousins like you. 

2015 comments are nothing but spilt milk and just not accurate about the situation this club was in back then. Or how good Cousins was that season. Hindsight is 20/20 and ignores his awful games since then. Yardage records be damned

34 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Lastly, any sign and trade deal would imply the Skins doing Cousins a favor by shipping him to his desired team. I don't see George Allen's son doing Cousins and McCartney any favors, especially if the Broncos' desire for Cousins is born of M. Shanahan's endorsements to Elway.

I do have a sleeper team in the Cousins 

I think getting Cousins across to his desired team helps facilitate a trade. 

Sleeper team, don't say the Giants. Imagine that...:ols:

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think getting Cousins across to his desired team helps facilitate a trade. 

Sleeper team, don't say the Giants. Imagine that...:ols:

Dagnabit!! i was going to make a joke with that sleeper team line and decided not to. Unfortunately, I forgot to delete the sleeper team line! Braindead Skinzplay. It's Monday, man!

Bringing up 2014, 2015, 2016 still......ugh.  We have already established the front office messed up. I believe 99.9% on the forums acknowledge that to a certain extent.  The conversation should be shifting to there here & now.  You can only operate moving forward based on where everyone is today, right now, and from what it seemed, Kirk Cousins simply did not want to be in Washington any longer or, if he did, he wasn't going to make any effort to favor returning here over any other place.  The front office didn't want to risk losing him to free agency and/or be forced into a possible franchise tag again.   They did what they felt was the best outcome for moving on from Cousins and that was get ahead of the eight ball instead of be behind it come March.

We all know the organization did it's part in making Cousins not want to be here any longer......but there is no going back from that now, and you could feel it in every answer Cousins gave in regards to trying to see if he was committed to staying.  

What else in *2017* did people want them to do at this point?

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Why does anyone claim to know what Cousins really wants since he has not state what he wants publicly?  All we actually know is that he wasn't interested in doing a long-term deal with the Skins last spring, he has told us that and he also announced he was not interested in beginning to talk to the Redskins until after the deadline for tagging him, that much we know is true.  As for what he wants we can only guess.  Some may believe he wants the biggest deal possible and others like myself think he'll want to play for a quality team that can win and the money is secondary but it is groundless speculation on our part.  We won't know what he really wants until he signs with a team of his choice, then we will know, only then.  

He himself has said he owes to the other players in the league not to take a low-ball offer. I agree that he's probably sign for less to be with a competitive team, but the 3 teams I pointed out have such little cap room, they can't even sign him to a modest offer. They have almost no money to spend. Cousins would have to take something like 10mil per year to sign with them.

17 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Then Cousins puts up team record breaking numbers and gets to the playoffs, never gets injured guaranteeing the Redskins don't have to pay RG3 any of that money.

Then they offer Kirk 12 a year.:rofl89:

Yeah, they screwed up the Kirk negotiations in 2016 something fierce.  They were willing to pay 15 mil for a QB who couldn't play but they didn't even offer the QB who set the passing records the same contract.  Ridiculously stupid.  

5 hours ago, Birdlives said:

He himself has said he owes to the other players in the league not to take a low-ball offer. I agree that he's probably sign for less to be with a competitive team, but the 3 teams I pointed out have such little cap room, they can't even sign him to a modest offer. They have almost no money to spend. Cousins would have to take something like 10mil per year to sign with them.

Ironic that he uses not taking a team friendly deal for the sake of future players but not to the team mates now.

23 hours ago, carex said:

in 2014 he sucked cause he kept getting hurt.  Which was why they picked up the option.  Because if 2015 turned out to be the year he didn't get hurt then they didn't want him to be a FA

No, in 2014 he sucked because he sucked.  He also threw his teammates under the bus leading to the "we're on to SF" press conference, and was generally a pain in the ass and a terrible QB when healthy.  Anybody with 2 eyes and an impartial brain new that it was over after 2014.  

They picked up the option because to not pick up the option would be to admit that the 3 Firsts and a Second they used to pick him up were already wasted.  And they weren't ready to do that yet.  

6 hours ago, Birdlives said:

Not really true for Jacksonville or Denver and really Arizona too. Not sure where you are getting $10M from. All three of those teams could make a run if Kirk wants to win. If he just wants money it will be either Clev or the Jets. 

Jacksonville has $16M in CAP and can get another $19M by releasing Bortles. That's $35M. Subtract the $10M for the draft and they still have money. Allen Hurns gives them another $7M if they need it. If they don't want to release him they could restructure. You can also give him a small salary this year of $10M but with a big signing bonus - like $50M. Then make next years salary fully guaranteed at signing making it $70M fully guaranteed. Make seasons 3 and 4 guaranteed for injury and you have a very competitive deal. It's all about the guaranteed money - not the annual salary. 

Denver Broncos - They have $26M right now. Release Aqib Talib gets them $11M more. There has been a lot of talk about this already not related to Kirk. They are kind of tired of his act. Release Bradley Roby and they gets you another $8M. I would probably restructure first but if they really want Kirk they can get to $36M after taking $10M for the draft. Easy to be competitive. 

Arizona - It gets a little more tricky but they can get there too. They have $23M. Release AP and Deone Buchanan gets them $12M more. Fitz is talknig about retirement. But if thy get him Kirk, I am sure he would restructure that $15M contact. He already offered to keep Bouldwin. That get them somewhere close to $40M after taking the $10M for the draft. b

According to Mike Jones the gap was Skins $20 mil vs KC camp $24 mil in July 2017....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/07/17/redskins-and-kirk-cousins-fail-to-reach-long-term-deal-as-deadline-passes/?utm_term=.0578a677909d

But Redskins officials and McCartney still didn’t see eye-to-eye after resuming negotiations this offseason. The starting point for negotiations, according to the Cousins camp, should have been around $24 million a year. The Redskins, meanwhile, initially offered just $20 million per year, and only limited guaranteed money.

19 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

According to Mike Jones the gap was Skins $20 mil vs KC camp $24 mil in July 2017....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/07/17/redskins-and-kirk-cousins-fail-to-reach-long-term-deal-as-deadline-passes/?utm_term=.0578a677909d

But Redskins officials and McCartney still didn’t see eye-to-eye after resuming negotiations this offseason. The starting point for negotiations, according to the Cousins camp, should have been around $24 million a year. The Redskins, meanwhile, initially offered just $20 million per year, and only limited guaranteed money.

So in other words they could have easily had him for Checkdown Alex money even after buffooning it up in 2016. 

Which should be obvious because neither Carr or Stafford had been resigned at that point.

43 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

So in other words they could have easily had him for Checkdown Alex money even after buffooning it up in 2016. 

Which should be obvious because neither Carr or Stafford had been resigned at that point.

Wrong. 

The Redskins offered $20M while the Cousins camp thought that the "starting point for negotiations" should have been $24M. To me, that doesn't sound like he would have signed for $24M. I bet he was either going to land right around the deal Garropolo got or let them tag him again. 

The Redskins started negotiations at 20M with low guarantees when he was set to make 24 under the tag, with a rising cap and obvious deals for Stafford and Carr on the horizon that everyone knew they would be what they were.

The folks defending that are trying to act like this is some government bid or <insert any everyday job situation here> when that's not how it works.  "Yeah, but that's just the starting point" doesn't fly here.  You offer near what the market dictates and haggle the details of the deal.  I think a 20M dollar with minimal guarantees deal given the history, the price of the tags they started, the increased salary cap, the upcoming deals for Stafford and Carr on the horizon was basically a waste of time and as insulting as a 20M salary offer can be.  By the time they stepped to the table with a more legit deal, the ship had sailed.

I feel like people are forgetting that what Kirk was asking for in 2015 even was more than guys like Aaron Rodgers, Stafford, Brady, Manning etc. So yeah, you can argue that we could have had him for 19 million, by the way that contract would be coming to an end soon anyway, but we would have been paying him more than the top QBs in the league at the time. And this was after one good year, after a trash 2014, where honestly the first half of the season wasnt good.

Archived