Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I heard something similar from one of the eleventy billion ESPNsiders on one of those shows this week.

If he goes there, that team will do some serious damage.

I don't know, Keenum was pretty good this year in most of his games but they did benefit from Rodgers being injured this year.  He pretty much owns them record wise.

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Who are the top paid QBs in the NFL? It isn't Tom Brady or Drew Brees, or Aaron Rogers. No it's Mathew Stafford followed by Andrew Luck he didn't even play last year. I know it's more convenient to ignore how QB contracts work in the NFL but that does not change anything. 

The "that's how qb contracts work" statements that a lot of reporters make is lazy. 

Due to inflation and increasing cap, that's generally true, but those contracts are based on a percentage of cap. If you adjust for inflation, Rodgers has the biggest contact followed by Ryan and Stafford.

If you adjust for inflation, the team is justified IMO, not to pay Kirk in that class.

The reported AAV that Smith got is in line with Brady. We all know Brady signs team friendly deals, but that range slots Smith appropriately amongst NFL QBs. 

I agree with most that the team screwed up after the 2015 season, but they put forth fair effort last off-season and the decision here was likely the best. 

Risk-adjusted this was a great move by our FO. Cousins wasn't going to negotiate with us till March. He was going to wait till he had us over a barrel to see if "God" wanted him to come to DC... yeah, right.

To everyone saying we botched the Kirk deal, that no team lets QB's like him go... Well guess what, no QB plays that level of hardball with their franchise, either! Cousins was adamant about hitting FA and clearly ambivalent about staying in DC. I guarantee if he hit FA he would have left-- Mike Jones even tweeted that Kirk knew his time in DC was up even before the trade. Imagine if we were stuck with our dicks in our hand with no QB at that point.

This was a GREAT move considering the circumstances and people seriously need to take off their ****-colored glasses. And btw, Cousins is too rigid of a player for my liking. Slave-like dedication to "The Process" which will keep him from taking shots to get back in games and open up the field a little bit. Will that change once he's on a long-term deal? Perhaps. But people need to stop acting like he was the 2nd coming just because everyone before him sucked.

Remember the QB Void everyone feared so much if Kirk left? Well, we avoided it! It's gone! There is no void! We have a PRO-BOWL QB signed at a REASONABLE cap number. A veteran with great leadership and character. No more one-year deal circus.

What if Kirk does well somewhere else? Who cares! We had to do what was best for the Washington Redskins. I don't care about the hate I'm going to get-- I'm tipping my hat to Bruce, Eric, Jay, Doug and the brain trust on this one. While the BA=Hitler crowd is stuck in a world of sunk costs, I'm looking forward to our Pro Bowl-QB continuing his upward career trajectory in DC while we build a top-10 defense, something every championship team needs. Did you see Zach Brown's tweet to Junior Galette about coming back? That deal will get done. We were trying to trade for Sheldon Richardson before Seattle landed him. Now he's a free agent-- I'll make the res at Morton's. ;) Like it or not we have been drafting well these past few years. Which contributors will we get this spring? Let's go get Alex some weapons. Doctson continues to improve, who can we get to complement him? Will Harris take the next step? Will we finally find our feature back?

People forget that before we were destroyed by injuries last year, we looked like one of the best teams in football. I refuse to be irrationally pessimistic. This is a GOOD team. The franchise has stability. The culture is setting in. We have leaders on both sides of the ball. If we can stay healthy and we get some breaks, we can make some noise in December and January this year. Not next year-- THIS year. So if you want to put bags on your heads and jerk each other off about how much we suck, go right ahead. I'm going to be excited about the program we're building and the 53 guys who are gonna make sure the entire league knows to Hail to the Redskins this fall. ;)

19 minutes ago, Tay said:

The "that's how qb contracts work" statements that a lot of reporters make is lazy. 

Due to inflation and increasing cap, that's generally true, but those contracts are based on a percentage of cap. If you adjust for inflation, Rodgers has the biggest contact followed by Ryan and Stafford.

If you adjust for inflation, the team is justified IMO, not to pay Kirk in that class.

The reported AAV that Smith got is in line with Brady. We all know Brady signs team friendly deals, but that range slots Smith appropriately amongst NFL QBs. 

I agree with most that the team screwed up after the 2015 season, but they put forth fair effort last off-season and the decision here was likely the best. 

Your opinion is that way because you don't think Kirk is that good. That's OK and you are certainly entitled to it. But that does not make it right nor is mine right just because I think he is worth it. But what is factual is the QB salary structure. We can not like it and not agree with it, but that does not change the reality. 

But OK, let's just for the sake of argument assume what you say is true; is Matt Ryan the 2nd best QB in the NFL? Stafford the 3rd? Not sure how Luck is not there but I do not care enough to slot him myself but I have to believe inflation or not he is that top 3 or 4 in salary. And where is Brees? He is a top 3vNFL QB and should absolutely be in that top 3 if that's what determines salaries. Based on your list he is at least 4th if not lower. What about Ben. I do not see him in your top 3. Based on this Brees and Ben one of them has to be no better than 5th. 

Quite frankly if you want to talk lazy statements - the "he is not the #1 QB in the NFL so he should not get paid like it." is as lazy and quite frankly as ill informed as it gets. Your example proves it.   

We will see very shortly what Kirk is worth to NFL teams. And I will bet money it will be at least top 5 if not the highest salary in the NFL. Does that mean he is definitely a top 5 QB? Of course not (although time will tell) and that's the point. The two are linked but directly. 

As for the "fair offer" thing last year. Sorry, but it was not even close and they should have tried again. They offered him what he would get anyway over two years with no more money. He should have responded - that I do agree with. But then they should have tried again with at least a little better offer. 

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-vikings-are-kirk-cousins’-no-1-choice/ar-BBIEiy3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE01DHP

KFAN host Paul Allen says he received a text message from a source who told him the following:

“Listening to you, I’m told Cousins has been telling people this week the Vikings are #1 with a bullet on his preference list. If offers are similar he’s taking the Vikings.”

Not directed at you: 

I am just not sure how a team with 3 starting QB is looking for another one. It's different for teams without a QB. But these guys have 3. Ok, you can't keep them all. But dump them all right after you get the NFC Championship? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

But what the hell. This is going to be one crazy FA period. Get the Coke and popcorn! It should be quite a show! 

Its no surprise Cousins likes the Vikings. They have great young skill players on offense, a good OL, and an outstanding D. Their division is also terrible. The Packers are literally a one man team, the Lions are a perennial joke that will have a rookie coach, and the Bears are a mess. Vikings win the Super Bowl next year with Cousins at QB.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Its no surprise Cousins likes the Vikings. They have great young skill players on offense, a good OL, and an outstanding D. Their division is also terrible. The Packers are literally a one man team, the Lions are a perennial joke that will have a rookie coach, and the Bears are a mess. Vikings win the Super Bowl next year with Cousins at QB.

Nope......Cousins gets hurt in preseason resulting in the murphy clause for the Vikings and karma for him.

I totally give up on the Skins.  Not in anger, I am relieved.  I am convinced Snyder sabotages any chance of success.  Snyder knows how to make money but utterly repels consistency and any chance of success, Snyder will never win.  Losing Cousins is going to end up being Snyder's biggest personnel mistake in a career already replete with huge mistakes. 

I expect Kirk to choose wisely and spend the next 8 to 10 years with a successful franchise.  I think he will pick a team positioned to win and probably win a Super Bowl for them.   Minnesota and Jacksonville look the most attractive but Denver would be another solid choice.  Unless Kirk chooses Dallas, the Giant or some perennial screw-up like the Browns I will support his new team and him, hopefully, all the way to Canton.

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I totally give up on the Skins.  Not in anger, I am relieved.  I am convinced Snyder sabotages any chance of success.  Snyder knows how to make money but utterly repels consistency and any chance of success, Snyder will never win.  Losing Cousins is going to end up being Snyder's biggest personnel mistake in a career already replete with huge mistakes. 

I expect Kirk to choose wisely and spend the next 8 to 10 years with a successful franchise.  I think he will pick a team positioned to win and probably win a Super Bowl for them.   Minnesota and Jacksonville look the most attractive but Denver would be another solid choice.  Unless Kirk chooses Dallas, the Giant or some perennial screw-up like the Browns I will support his new team and him, hopefully, all the way to Canton.

good bye, won't miss you.  And why the hell do you think Minnesota wants him?  Hell, Jacksonville might not even. 

Whoever, if anyone, does sign Kurt, I hope they're ready for a lot of stare-downs when he's on the field.

That's one thing that bugged me about him; at times it seemed he was deadest on throwing to one particular WR or TE, and held the ball until if/ when he got open. His field vision is gonna be something that will come up wherever he lands, and I hope they chew him up over it.

On an unrelated nugget, I hear the Packers are doing Rodgers wrong in some way; now THAT I'd be all for, getting him on the team.

23 minutes ago, carex said:

good bye, won't miss you.  And why the hell do you think Minnesota wants him?  Hell, Jacksonville might not even. 

Hey San Dnyder, calm down.

3 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

On an unrelated nugget, I hear the Packers are doing Rodgers wrong in some way; now THAT I'd be all for, getting him on the team.

There is no $ figure that would entice Rodgers to come here in the alternative universe where he becomes available.

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Bruce can issue a statement once they decline to tag him. In other words, why tip his hand now and comment when there's even a remote chance that they may be able to trade him or maybe even decide to transition tag him? I'm saying there is still plenty of time for Bruce to speak up and wish KC well, etc.....As far as another bomb dropping, who knows??? Maybe Denver does try and work something out with us, KC, et. al. and a trade for his rights is made after all parties decide to play ball? Very unlikely I know, but who knows?

Makes some sense but a knowing that Jay and Dan spoke to him and KC not mentioning Allen seems odd to me.  A lot of people, I've heard say Allen was the reason we had so many issues try to LTD KC.  Maybe one day we will know.  I don't think KC is going to do us any favors like that especially with the way the trade went down.  A lot of media are saying that Minny will be his new home.  It makes sense.  They have a need at QB and Jay has probably fed Zimmer all he need to and Zimmer has seen enough to pay whatever it takes to make KC a Viking.  Would him rather have stayed LTD in DC but we roll with Alex Smith next year and I hope we draft his successor in this year's draft (Lauletta in a trade down), I'm hoping.  Thanks for the explanation.  God Bless. :)

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

**** it! Y'all miss Kendall Fuller so much and worried about CB? Let's sign Kyle Fuller!!

He might want too much money and isn't as good as his younger brother.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Not directed at you: 

I am just not sure how a team with 3 starting QB is looking for another one. It's different for teams without a QB. But these guys have 3. Ok, you can't keep them all. But dump them all right after you get the NFC Championship? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

But what the hell. This is going to be one crazy FA period. Get the Coke and popcorn! It should be quite a show! 

3 starting QBs who are all hitting Free Agency and all have a red flag of one sort or another.  If Kirk isn't about the money and lets the Vikings know he won't push up the price I think he is better than any of the other 3 guys and it is not even close.

20 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

3 starting QBs who are all hitting Free Agency and all have a red flag of one sort or another.  If Kirk isn't about the money and lets the Vikings know he won't push up the price I think he is better than any of the other 3 guys and it is not even close.

He is better than what they have. But they are in the house already and know the system. Bringing someone new in is not as easy as people think it is. i do not see it as a smart move by them at all - but it's clearly not my call. Should be interesting. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Your opinion is that way because you don't think Kirk is that good. That's OK and you are certainly entitled to it. But that does not make it right nor is mine right just because I think he is worth it. But what is factual is the QB salary structure. We can not like it and not agree with it, but that does not change the reality. 

But OK, let's just for the sake of argument assume what you say is true; is Matt Ryan the 2nd best QB in the NFL? Stafford the 3rd? Not sure how Luck is not there but I do not care enough to slot him myself but I have to believe inflation or not he is that top 3 or 4 in salary. And where is Brees? He is a top 3vNFL QB and should absolutely be in that top 3 if that's what determines salaries. Based on your list he is at least 4th if not lower. What about Ben. I do not see him in your top 3. Based on this Brees and Ben one of them has to be no better than 5th. 

Quite frankly if you want to talk lazy statements - the "he is not the #1 QB in the NFL so he should not get paid like it." is as lazy and quite frankly as ill informed as it gets. Your example proves it.   

We will see very shortly what Kirk is worth to NFL teams. And I will bet money it will be at least top 5 if not the highest salary in the NFL. Does that mean he is definitely a top 5 QB? Of course not (although time will tell) and that's the point. The two are linked but directly. 

As for the "fair offer" thing last year. Sorry, but it was not even close and they should have tried again. They offered him what he would get anyway over two years with no more money. He should have responded - that I do agree with. But then they should have tried again with at least a little better offer. 

This argument is just asinine to me. How is “He isn’t the 1# QB in the league, so he shouldn’t be payed like one” a lazy comment? It is a simple fact you want to ignore. The record for the Washington Redskins has gotten nothing but worse since he has became the starter. Let’s sign him to a record deal while we have Will Compton as our linebacker and have another no name RB torch us for another 150 yds because we have no money to sign Zach Brown. But hey atleast we have Kirk to put up big numbers and throw a couple interceptions and keep the fans happy because he’s the first reasonable QB Washington has had in 20 years.

58 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

but you're not the Vikings FO.  In fact from what I've heard there's plenty of guys there who still love Bridgewater

My predictions for the teams who'll want Kirk the most, Jets, Bills, Cardinals, Broncos

30 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

This argument is just asinine to me. How is “He isn’t the 1# QB in the league, so he shouldn’t be payed like one” a lazy comment? It is a simple fact you want to ignore. The record for the Washington Redskins has gotten nothing but worse since he has became the starter. Let’s sign him to a record deal while we have Will Compton as our linebacker and have another no name RB torch us for another 150 yds because we have no money to sign Zach Brown. But hey atleast we have Kirk to put up big numbers and throw a couple interceptions and keep the fans happy because he’s the first reasonable QB Washington has had in 20 years.

I am sorry the facts and data seem asinine to you.Having said that, I would actually agree that the way the NFL QB salaries end up being structured is asinine. However, you are ignoring the reality, and as is typical with the yes lazy argument of "he isn't the #1 QB so he should not be paid like one" is that you are confusing your assessment of his worth with the reality of how NFL QBs get paid - especially since you either missed or chose to ignore where I specifically stated that if Kirk gets top 5 money or even the #1 top salary, that does not mean he is definitely a top 5 talent or the #1 if he gets that money.

Again, since you either missed it in the literally 1000s of times it's been stated on any of the various Kirk thread or decided to ignore it, they are in fact two different things. It would be a much simpler NFL world if they found a set of fair metrics, slotted each QB accordingly and then pay them based on that slotting. How wonderfully simple life would be. But sorry to say it's not. 

A few questions: The last 3 major QB contracts were Andrew Luck, Mathew Stafford, and Derek Carr. Based on your analogy, can you please tell me where Drew Brees ranks among them as an NFL QB? How about Aaron Rogers? Ben R? Tom Brady? Surely those 4 are all worse QBs than the three who just signed contracts, or at most of them are. 

Based on your logic, here are your top QBs in the NFL ranked based on their ability/performance since salary and ability/performance are directly linked,. Notice anything wrong with that expected direct link?

image.thumb.png.8468b27c776ba4f23211c89c108ae6e2.png

6 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

Seriously?  Why the pessimism?  Is it not as plain as the nose on your face? 

The Redskins had ZERO concept as to the potential value of a QB who had been in their building and on their field for 3 years and at the end of 2015 didn't have the common sense to lock up Cousins to at least protect their investment in the future.  QB's who have had even average success in a QB starving league hold some value.  They had no idea what they were looking at and no foresight and subsequently pissed away any leverage they had by guessing wrong after 2015.  Doubling down on their bad analysis after 2016.  And finally crapping out at the end of 2017.   

Your remark about Sudfeld does not help your position either way.  If he sucks then they were once again wrong about a player's NFL potential; as they were wrong about RG III.  If Sudfeld goes on to have a great career then that's even worse!  They let him go to a division rival for nothing! 

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have been the puppet masters behind the McFlabb disaster, RG III trade that crippled the defense for years, the Kirk fiasco where the team could have at least got a 1st round pick but will now have to settle for a 3rd round compensatory pick, then they surrendered a valuable 3rd rounder this year for an older, weaker armed version of Kirk who has had limited success in the playoffs.  And btw, once again they tried to fix the QB dilemma at the expense of the defense (Kendall Fuller). 

Your comment about Jay has no real bearing on the issue.  He doesn't make the decisions.  That's Dan and Bruce.  But since you brought him up, what was Jay's number one complaint about Kirk this season?  It was that he didn't go down field enough to give receivers opportunities to make plays; although if I was Kirk I wouldn't trust them either.  Even Kansas City fans will tell you that Alex Smith is not a down the field type of QB.  He often gets nervous in the pocket and will not keep his eyes down the field.  This past year was an outlier.  Top 10 running game and a healthy TE to occupy defenders in the middle of the field helped him hit on some deep play action.  Unless there are some dramatic changes he won't have either with the Redskins in 2018.  Jay is biding his time to go and be the OC for his brother.  He'll get paid $5mil this year and get the hell away from this clown circus.

I appreciate the reply. However as I correctly pointed out for someone to assume that these guys can’t draft a QB it’s conjure and make believe.

I noticed in that rant not one thing related to what I quoted you as saying. You asked if anyone felt they could find a good QB in the draft and answered your own question saying you didn’t. How does someone come to that conclusion? It’s confusing

So the reality is that Kirk was drafted in the fourth round of the draft and between now and then they have drafted a single player who is now in the Supwrbowl.

its like some of you are so associated with the negative spin on everything you can’t see the good that’s been happening. 

First off they found Cousins when the rest of the league was passing on him. Secondly the recent drafts they have had show they can find players in the draft. They just flipped a third round pick to the starting QB which is impressive. Fact is so many of you are so pissed off that they made the right decision to kick Kirk to the curb you’ve doubled down on some make believe crap that they can’t draft when they can. Should I show you the list of names like Fuller who prove they can draft? 

The issue with Kirk was that he wasn’t signing here long term and some of you can’t admit that. Kirk even said he wasn’t talking until they tagged him. Kirk is gone, I say thanks for the memories and it’s a good thing. Just admit that when you say they could have traded him you know they didn’t want to lose him so they tagged him for two seasons to keep him hoping that he would want to stay. In the end of the saga he didn’t want to stay so they had no choice but to move on. Kirk decided what happened and he choose to leave. In the words of Jim Cornette Thank you, **** you, bye. What more is there to say about this guy? He’s gone, and gone with him are the demoralizing losses like losing to a two win team from NY. If Kirk could win they would have won. They didn’t and moved on

instead of realizing that they could very well find a good QB in the draft and being positive some of you are just upset about cousins. Come on man. No way in hell was he worth 34.5 million for one season and the front office made the right move getting rid of him

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

LOL I thought the same thing.  Carex really got butt hurt when the truth about the FO is revealed.

if you don't trust the front office, then all their plans and your complaints will always come to nothing.  So since it's alredy over why don't all of you move on and stop bothering the people with something positive to say

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am sorry the facts and data seem asinine to you.Having said that, I would actually agree that the way the NFL QB salaries end up being structured is asinine. However, you are ignoring the reality, and as is typical with the yes lazy argument of "he isn't the #1 QB so he should not be paid like one" is that you are confusing your assessment of his worth with the reality of how NFL QBs get paid - especially since you either missed or chose to ignore where I specifically stated that if Kirk gets top 5 money or even the #1 top salary, that does not mean he is definitely a top 5 talent or the #1 if he gets that money.

Again, since you either missed it in the literally 1000s of times it's been stated on any of the various Kirk thread or decided to ignore it, they are in fact two different things. It would be a much simpler NFL world if they found a set of fair metrics, slotted each QB accordingly and then pay them based on that slotting. How wonderfully simple life would be. But sorry to say it's not. 

A few questions: The last 3 major QB contracts were Andrew Luck, Mathew Stafford, and Derek Carr. Based on your analogy, can you please tell me where Drew Brees ranks among them as an NFL QB? How about Aaron Rogers? Ben R? Tom Brady? Surely those 4 are all worse QBs than the three who just signed contracts, or at most of them are. 

even in the NFL things do change and people learn from mistakes.  Just because three guys who have had fair to middling success managed to snag huge contracts does not mean this trend will continue forever.

Frankly considering three of the four QBs in the championship games were Nick Foles (even if he got there on hi starters success mostly,) Case Keenum and Blake Bortles this is as good a year to stop it as any

edit: ugh sorry for the double post.  Can someone explain to me how the site decides whether to merge your posts or not?  I figred there'd be another post or the two would automatically snap together

12 minutes ago, carex said:

if you don't trust the front office, then all their plans and your complaints will always come to nothing.  So since it's alredy over why don't all of you move on and stop bothering the people with something positive to say

If every fan that was bright enough to acknowledge the general ineptitude of your father's ability as an owner to build a winning organization left, it'd just be you and a handful of homers slapping high fives and yelling Hail! while watching Redskins Nation.

As has been stated on numerous occasions, if it was as easy to move on and get behind another team with the same level of passion many of us acquired prior to Dan's ownership, we would have already left.  Unfortunately for us, this team is like family.  The difference is that while some family is willing to support and enable the bad seeds of the family no matter what, many of us simply call a spade a spade, family or not.

Believe it or not, there is nothing I want more than for your father to finally get right.  To acknowledge the errors he's made with who he's given the keys to his franchise, hires a consulting firm to help him find a hire that makes him uncomfortable, and give that person full reign over this team.

Archived