Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

Guys I didn't watch Season 8 -- will wait for it on BR. But spoilers are all over the internet, and I happened across some scathing audience reviews

over on RT (who cares about critic reviews those guys are shills). 

I'm stunned. I'm not one of these guys who was actively rooting AGAINST GOT (like you will get in the Star Wars franchise), I was pretty indifferent to it,

although having watched the past 7 seasons, it would have been nice if it turned out good.

The thing I'm angry with is the fact that I watched the last few seasons of the TV series without having waited for the books first. The books are VASTLY better

than the TV series. TV series are just a thumbnail sketch of the books, really. In the books, GRRM gets you to care about small characters like Sam Tarly.

On the TV series, by contrast, whenever the fat oaf who plays Tarly comes on, I hit fast forward. The show gives you no reason to care about him.

Now I'm never going to be able to enjoy the reading books, even if they are masterpieces. Which they very well might be. 

Ah well. At least "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" looks great. Helps ease the pain. 

On 5/25/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mournblade said:

Guys I didn't watch Season 8 -- will wait for it on BR. But spoilers are all over the internet, and I happened across some scathing audience reviews

over on RT (who cares about critic reviews those guys are shills). 

I'm stunned. I'm not one of these guys who was actively rooting AGAINST GOT (like you will get in the Star Wars franchise), I was pretty indifferent to it,

although having watched the past 7 seasons, it would have been nice if it turned out good.

The thing I'm angry with is the fact that I watched the last few seasons of the TV series without having waited for the books first. The books are VASTLY betterthan the TV series. TV series are just a thumbnail sketch of the books, really. In the books, GRRM gets you to care about small characters like Sam Tarly.

On the TV series, by contrast, whenever the fat oaf who plays Tarly comes on, I hit fast forward. The show gives you no reason to care about him.

Now I'm never going to be able to enjoy the reading books, even if they are masterpieces. Which they very well might be. 

Ah well. At least "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" looks great. Helps ease the pain. 

I thought they did as well as a job as they could have seasons 1-4 which drew from the books.   Prince Oberyn for instance, awesome in both the book and TV as portrayed by Pedro Pascal.   Although they could have included Ned's "fever dream" in S1, it may have been hard to pull that off without either confusing the audience or giving up too much.   Season 5 they started to go downhill with the major changes like Littlefinger giving Sansa to the Boltons, which was a total headscratcher for his character.   It only made sense from a writers perspective of getting Sansa out of the Vale,  because they didn't want to deal with that plot line, as it would introduce new characters, and source material was very thin (though maybe a missed opprotunity here - they could have had the Blackfish flee to the Vale and combine his plot there instead of dying stupidly like he does and having Littlefigner give Sansa to the Boltons).  Another missed opportunity was the Northern lords turning on the Bolton/Frey alliance which many book readers suspect is the case.     

After S5, it was almost train wreck after train wreck, with a few decent moments here and there. 

Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) looks so damn good in that show.  I've seen other pictures of her though and I'm like ehhh.  I don't know if it is makeup or she just got older.  Obviously I'd still hit it ten times a week but still, way better in the show.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Too bad Solo was a box office bomb, she and Donald Glover dominated that movie.

Huh, I didn’t realize it did bad at the box office.   I watched that at my parents house and we all enjoyed it.  I thought she did good.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many if any of the GoT cast will go on to be major players in TV/movies. Kit Harrington in particular, I don't think he's that good of an actor. The rest will probably get typecast. I could see Maisie Williams being a comedy riot on a sitcom as the rebellious daughter though.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure how many if any of the GoT cast will go on to be major players in TV/movies. Kit Harrington in particular, I don't think he's that good of an actor. The rest will probably get typecast. I could see Maisie Williams being a comedy riot on a sitcom as the rebellious daughter though.

Dinklage and Turner have already been in Xmen, and Turner has a major role in the new Xmen. 

I hope Dinklage gets some good roles down the line.   He is an awesome actor. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Nickolai Coster-Waldau (Jaime) is great as the lead actor in Shotcaller. It’s about a Wall Street banker that gets sentenced to prison and has to join a gang to survive and how everything just snowballs from

there. It’s a great movie and he is awesome in it. Think it’s still on prime video 

Loved that movie and NCW was indeed excellent.

Watched Oblivion for the first time in like 6 years this weekend, forgot he was in that, too.