Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I swear i thought there were stories during the season that he was leading the league... maybe i'm thinkin 2016?  :blink:

IIRC, that was a PFF rating where he was leading the league on PA Passes a few weeks before the end of the season.  He was surpassed by Mariota in the final couple of weeks

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This is pretty interesting stuff - we're gonna need a really good run game!

I think it was on 106.7, they were going over that Alex was 2-7  in recent years when the Chiefs ran for 80 yards or less.

The interesting dynamic here the most I listen to people talk about Alex is his strength is being part of play fakes, pre-snap movement and ultimately misdirection -- stuff that Jay's offense didn't do a ton with Kirk.

I recall Cooley in one of his film reviews talked about all the subterfuge and movement in the Eagles and Chiefs playbook helps confuse the heck out of defenses and in turn helps set up their running games.

Cooley thinks Jay designs a really good offense to get players open but his offense doesn't really try to fool people the way some others do with pre-snap motion.  He thinks the Redskins pre-snap motion is fairly vanilla.  Now Cooley on the aggregate likes Jay's offense a lot but his criticism of it is the power running scheme-duo and he doesn't utilize pre-snap motion that cleverly. 

Not saying Cooley is dead on correct.  But if he's on to something Alex presents a chance to change up the offense some.  RPOs, Jetsweeps, exotic pre-snap motions would add to the look of this offense.  And I don't mean this to beat up Jay -- I think he will have fun with it and will adapt and do it well with Alex. 

As I am typing this am watching impending FA RB Jerick McKinnon on NFL Network -- brings home to me they need to add IMO a serious run threat at RB to make Alex's game more deadly.   I was listening to Chris Thompson the other day being asked what type of RB does this team need to add to the current arsenal.  His response "someone like me" who is a fast and could catch.  I agree with him.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it was on 106.7, they were going over that Alex was 2-7  in recent years when the Chiefs ran for 80 yards or less.

The interesting dynamic here the most I listen to people talk about Alex is his strength is being part of play fakes, pre-snap movement and ultimately misdirection -- stuff that Jay's offense didn't do a ton with Kirk.

I recall Cooley in one of his film reviews talked about all the subterfuge and movement in the Eagles and Chiefs playbook helps confuse the heck out of defenses and in turn helps set up their running games.

Cooley thinks Jay designs a really good offense to get players open but his offense doesn't really try to fool people the way some others do with pre-snap motion.  He thinks the Redskins pre-snap motion is fairly vanilla.  Now Cooley on the aggregate likes Jay's offense a lot but his criticism of it is the power running scheme-duo and he doesn't utilize pre-snap motion that cleverly. 

Not saying Cooley is dead on correct.  But if he's on to something Alex presents a chance to change up the offense some.  RPOs, Jetsweeps, exotic pre-snap motions would add to the look of this offense.  And I don't mean this to beat up Jay -- I think he will have fun with it and will adapt and do it well with Alex. 

As I am typing this am watching impending FA RB Jerick McKinnon on NFL Network -- brings home to me they need to add IMO a serious run threat at RB to make Alex's game more deadly.   I was listening to Chris Thompson the other day being asked what type of RB does this team need to add to the current arsenal.  His response "someone like me" who is a fast and could catch.  I agree with him.  

Give me Allen Robinson if not tagged by Jax or IF tagged give me Richardson from Seattle and drafting Michel in the 2nd round from Georgia, along with signing FA Nowell OG from Carolina and we are potent at OF.

I've been replaying a few of Smith's games from this season, mainly versus teams that look like our NFC-East defenses.  

I've noticed that if the opponents stacked the box vs. the Chiefs running game, and the pass rush over-matches the Chiefs pass protection... Smith often doesn't have what it takes to overcome it.  He's constantly looking to check down or dump-pass out to a back, or ,occasionally, try a well-rehearsed 10-12 yard pass to the TE coming over the middle.  Smith runs well, but often looks like an aging veteran doing so.  His middle to long-range passes were nothing to write home about, unless his receiver was really open.  

Maybe I'll see more from the other games, but I wanted to see how Smith did when it was on him to pull the team up. I got the sense he really needed help from Hunt, Hill, and the other receivers; and luckily for Alex, they were usually good enough to justify his check-downs, and dump-offs.  I'm not sure how well this works with Gruden's tendency to want his QBs throwing passes to really challenge the secondary.  (Lastly, just like Cousins, Smith is somewhat "streaky" -- we're going to love the good streaks, but will wince a lot during the bad streaks.)

I currently feel that Smith would not have done as well as Cousins did, had Alex needed to lead the 2017 Skins team -- so let's hope the 2018 Skins team finds: (1) a healthy O-line to provide adequate pass protection; (2) an effective running game through the line of scrimmage to keep the linebackers honest; (3) a healthy Jordan Reed since that's about what Smith can efficiently pass to; and (4) some decent WRs who can create separation and catch the types of passes Smith is lobbing out there.

Saying all the above makes me realize how I still hope for the Skins team going forward and how nice it would be to still give Gruden a real chance at building a winner.  But part of me inwardly wonders .... how if the whole thing goes badly, would this finally convince Snyder to get rid of Allen?  Because I see Allen as one of the two major problems with this franchise, and I continue to pray that a more capable replacement for him could be found.

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Rodgers sat behind Favre and learned.  Same thing can happen here.

Brett Favre was a HOF QB

8 time probowler

3 time first team all pro

13 year starter (when Rodgers was drafted)

Super Bowl winner

All for the Packers

Smith was traded for THIS year

He will have JUST signed a contract extension

When we draft he will have not even played a single down yet

Theres not enough loyalty to Smith to try to convince this fanbase, or owner, that we can put a 1st round QB behind him..

Plus like @onedropsaid.... look at the two franchises and how stable they are and ask what the narrative would be any time Smith threw an INT or missed an open receiver?  

35 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Brett Favre was a HOF QB

8 time probowler

3 time first team all pro

13 year starter (when Rodgers was drafted)

Super Bowl winner

All for the Packers

Smith was traded for THIS year

He will have JUST signed a contract extension

When we draft he will have not even played a single down yet

Theres not enough loyalty to Smith to try to convince this fanbase, or owner, that we can put a 1st round QB behind him..

Plus like @onedropsaid.... look at the two franchises and how stable they are and ask what the narrative would be any time Smith threw an INT or missed an open receiver?  

I knew someone would bring this up.  It's the principle behind what I am saying OVC.  Smith's stats are very good and he's nearing the end of his career, possibly in 2 or 3 years.  If we were fortunate enough to have Mayfield fall to #13 or even if they go with a QB they love in the 2nd round (Rudolph's name has been tied to the Skins) that QB has the time to sit and learn.  Look how things worked out for Rodgers by doing that under Favre.  

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just saying if this draft is all that its cracked up to be for QB and a QB you love just lands in your lap, you IMO take him.

Which means that the Redskins won't, but if they do he'll suck for 2-3 years before the lightbulb turns on, and if he doesn't they will find a way to screw up on getting him to sign long term in a few years.

There's nothing you can do except laugh at the predictably of the buffoonery. :rofl89:

4 hours ago, Wyvern said:

so let's hope the 2018 Skins team finds: (1) a healthy O-line to provide adequate pass protection; (2) an effective running game through the line of scrimmage to keep the linebackers honest; (3) a healthy Jordan Reed since that's about what Smith can efficiently pass to; and (4) some decent WRs who can create separation and catch the types of passes Smith is lobbing out there.

But at least they saved a couple million dollars and gave up only 2  players to "upgrade" to an older QB who'll require all of that to break even. :headbang:

Winning in the off-season 1999-2018! 

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Which means that the Redskins won't, but if they do he'll suck for 2-3 years before the lightbulb turns on, and if he doesn't they will find a way to screw up on getting him to sign long term in a few years.

There's nothing you can do except laugh at the predictably of the buffoonery. :rofl89:

You never miss a chance, don't you ? :). "If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you" Nietzsche. ;)

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

I knew someone would bring this up.  It's the principle behind what I am saying OVC.  Smith's stats are very good and he's nearing the end of his career, possibly in 2 or 3 years.  If we were fortunate enough to have Mayfield fall to #13 or even if they go with a QB they love in the 2nd round (Rudolph's name has been tied to the Skins) that QB has the time to sit and learn.  Look how things worked out for Rodgers by doing that under Favre.  

I agree, the logic is sound.  The process can work, and honestly is one that I feel is the best route... The problem is I don't think it would work here because we can't handle it as a team and fanbase.  Patience is not in Snyder's handbook, and he would be even LESS patient with Smith because he doesn't have that history that Favre does..  that was my point.  I wish we had the stability to do it that way, I just don't think this franchise does. 

13 hours ago, RWJ said:

Give me Allen Robinson if not tagged by Jax or IF tagged give me Richardson from Seattle and drafting Michel in the 2nd round from Georgia, along with signing FA Nowell OG from Carolina and we are potent at OF.

Love Michel. Love Norwell. Love Richardson. I like Robinson but wonder if he's really a deep threat though -- his speed wasn't really hot and that's before the ACL injury.

More talk here about Redskins in Fa, do they take a QB in the draft, etc,

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000000917047/Should-the-Redskins-target-a-QB-with-the-No-13-pick-in-the-2018-NFL-Draft

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Michel. Love Norwell. Love Richardson. I like Robinson but wonder if he's really a deep threat though -- his speed wasn't really hot and that's before the ACL injury.

More talk here about Redskins in Fa, do they take a QB in the draft, etc,

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000000917047/Should-the-Redskins-target-a-QB-with-the-No-13-pick-in-the-2018-NFL-Draft

On the NFL.com video, IF Mayfield is there you definitely do it.  We have Allen's OC/OG on our team so could he have some pull and talk the Skins into loving him?  My thoughts again, take Mayfield if he's there at #13.  If Allen is there you trade down and grab as much compensation as you can for a team that falls in love with him and fill needs and draft Lauletta or White later in the draft.  FA OG Josh Sitton might be an option for Skins at OG too but he's 31.

8 hours ago, bcl05 said:

And now KC is trading Marcus Peters for a haul of draft picks.  They know they got a stud in Fuller...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22556460/los-angeles-rams-agree-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-cornerback-marcus-peters

Pump the breaks on Kendall Fuller he had one good year and didn't have to cover any No.1 WRs like Antonio Brown, so let's not call him a stud yet.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:26 AM, OlufemiBiz said:

***NOTE(s) to 'DEBBIE DOWNERS'...***

Add Santana Moss to the Alex Smith is the better QB and will be better in Jays offense opinions

https://art19.com/shows/redskin-talk/episodes/54a9dcde-6200-4a11-bf87-57727e3e3caf

21 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Now that video 2 posts up where the guy excuses Alex Smith with the Jason Campbell excuse of"different OC every single year"

Now that is hilarious :rofl89:

13 years in the league, that's still the excuse. :headbang:

What excuse is he making? Alex just led the league in passer rating, led his team to the playoffs for the third year in a row, won another AFC West title. Why is he needing to make any excuses? 

I have been clamoring for a 2nd hands back. It was easy to see our offense tank when CT went down. And now we hear even CT wants another CT.  If CT says it, there are fewer people to trust more than him, coming from the guy he would be competing for snaps with.

I want Jay to do more radical stuff presnap. Look at THE play of the superbowl.  Defenses are ripe to be confused but they won't be if you only do simple predictable motion to check man vs zone.

Archived