Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

So lets see here....

I'm watching an interview where Kirk is saying "its not about money, its about winning". Bull****!!!

Out of the other side of his neck, he says "I think Washington can win..."  So if it ain't about money and you think your team can win, what the ****?

But wait...there's more... 

He says "I think they're in a good place". Notice the word "they're". This lyin' ass dude was already out the door and never wanted to be here. He was leveraging this **** all along, but playing the goody two shoes to the fans and media. I never bought his snake in the grass act.

First off, this sneaky scripting dude was not going to engage in any contract talks until the franchise tag deadline passed. We're talking July ****ing 16th!!! Four more ****ing months before he would even negotiate? GTFO! Can you say limbo!!

Plus you wanted to string this team along past the March 14th free agency date. So not only did he want to test the market (and eventually blind side the Skins by going to the ****ing Vikings), he was attempting to leave this team with the crumbs of the free agency QB market by consistently "looking the part" and saying "I want to be a Redskins"!! 

Gruden said **** that, we can't wait that long and went out and got the top available free agent QB, right ****ing now! Yea, he made the decision for Kirk's sneaky ass.

So now Kirk is running a smear campaign by saying he was "surprised" to hear about the Alex Smith trade and that it was a "relief to know that the decision was made for him." Again....complete and utter bull****. Just another episode of "golly gee" freakin' lair!!

I'm not emotional on behalf of the Redskins (its not like they didn't allow this ****). I just hate the type of people that's always seeking to be seen in some wholesome light all the damn time, when they're actually doing dirty ****. Kirk does that **** all the time. Always the ****ing victim. But if you listen long enough and close enough, you'll hear that shady forked tongue politician raise the bull**** sign every time.

Go win Kirk!! But this time, leave the Redskins out your bull****, son.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/01/30/kirk-cousins-free-agency/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22300119/kirk-cousins-surprised-washington-redskins-trade-alex-smith

An interesting perspective where we don't look like buffoons. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000913035/article/winners-losers-of-the-alex-smith-trade-kirk-cousins-benefits

I wrote in December that the Chiefs had a chance to trade Smith for a better package than they gave up for him five years ago, when they sent two second-round picks to San Francisco. The Chiefs wound up getting a similar deal in value. Smith's age (33) doesn't help his case, but the cost of acquiring quarterbacks has only gone up in the last half-decade. Rapoport reported there were multiple teams interested in Smith. At some point between now and the NFL draft, the Chiefs were going to find a fair deal for him. Too many teams are too desperate for starters. The Redskins likely paid a slight premium to square away their issues before February, secure in the knowledge they won't be joining the sad, wandering teams that don't have a quarterback.

Personally, from now on, I'm referring to the ex-Redskins QB as Kurt. IMO, he doesn't deserve to have his name said or spelled the correct way.

That goes for the present owner as well; his name is **** head [ the Jerk movie ].

Also goes for Bruce; he is now known as the procurer. [ not in the nice way ].

What I don't get is the talk about getting a player via trade for Kurt. We all know the **** Head and the Procurer are gonna be pulling the strings in the draft, and they will draft 'Mr. Irrelevant' in the first round.

See how easy it is?

The only way out that I see is lining up bottles of Crown Royal and Scotch leading into either Chesapeake Bay or a wood chipper. Unless someone wants to volunteer to be Kathy Bates and give them both the 'Misery' business. Although when you do get Snyder [ I mean **** Head ] you will have to get a baby crib; a bed is too big for him.

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

So lets see here....

I'm watching an interview where Kirk is saying "its not about money, its about winning". Bull****!!!

Out of the other side of his neck, he says "I think Washington can win..."  So if it ain't about money and you think your team can win, what the ****?

But wait...there's more... 

He says "I think they're in a good place". Notice the word "they're". This lyin' ass dude was already out the door and never wanted to be here. He was leveraging this **** all along, but playing the goody two shoes to the fans and media. I never bought his snake in the grass act.

First off, this sneaky scripting dude was not going to engage in any contract talks until the franchise tag deadline passed. We're talking July ****ing 16th!!! Four more ****ing months before he would even negotiate? GTFO! Can you say limbo!!

The FO clearly isn't good and mismanaged, but something about Kirk has always come across as a bit strange to me.  If the offer Allen claims the skins made a couple years ago was true then Kirk, REALLY didn't want to be here.  I'm personally glad he didn't sign because I believe he will be Stafford.  An 8-8 guy with an occasional 10-6 and no rings unless he has a lot of help.  I heard Smith's contract is only guaranteed for injury so if that is true then great, we aren't heavily tied and maybe we can get lucky and find a top 5 QB.  Easier said than done, but I'd rather have the wishful future (common here  haha )  than being around 8-8 every year watching Cousins inflate his yardage stats.

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yes, the evil Kirk was trying to spread his wickedness throughout the land. Be grateful that those pesky kids Dan and Bruce were there to save us all. 

Don't worry. You're safe now.

Recognizing what this post implies: I've always been safe. 

I also recognize wolves in sheep clothing and real sheep. The real sheep will always hang on to perception and "reliable sources". The wolves dress up to look like sheep. But ultimately, the wolf will trick the real sheep all the time. If the shoe fits.....

Fact: Haven't heard one quote (for a little while now) from either of those pesky kids you allude to. Last I heard from one of them was when he was telling the fans how they tried to offer Kirk a contract and Kirk didn't provide a counter offer. In other words, no chance for negotiation. The other pesky kid was seen dancing like a fan in the club house during a game. Unless you want to include this one before the last draft:

Its all perception until you hear it or see it. It's actually sad that sheep hang on for dear life to past reports "from sources close to the situation" or whatever direction the **** storm is blowing but never really confirms anything. To the sheep's defense, there's no way to confirm because there's nothing to be seen, read or heard from the report in question. 

Its probably best to deal in facts....

Fact: The microphone has been in Kirk's face all off season. Hell, he even had a Lebron James type live interview with Grant and Danny.

If you listen with your ears, you'll hear him playing the part of a victim.

Fact: Kirk will be gone, never to be heard from again in this local media.

He didn't win anything during his time here, so the only thing to talk about will be his side this business transaction or the upcoming game. Which one do you think they'll talk about most? Answer: Gotta feed the sheep. 

Oh yea, they'll probably give the sheep some desert by dragging the RGIII "saga" into the interview.

Fact: The AFC Pro Bowl starting QB is playing for this team next year.

I'll use Kirk's phrase when I say "Those who know, know". Some people just can't decipher bull**** when they hear it.

I'll leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

An interesting perspective where we don't look like buffoons. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000913035/article/winners-losers-of-the-alex-smith-trade-kirk-cousins-benefits

Amazing what a little research does. Also, please note that this is not directed at you. The Redskins got a guy that a smidgen better than the one they had for possibly $10 million/yr less. They also may get an extra third rounder when Kirk walks (I'll play the sheep role on this part because its only what I heard from folks on this thread). Either way, I'm good with this move as it stands now.

With that savings, we may actually have enough cap space to pickup a beast of the guard in Andrew Norwell and maybe re-sign Zach Brown. The many guys returning from injury (including NT Phil Taylor) will be a plus as well. 

It’s pretty easy to blame this on cousins not wanting to sign a deal with the front office if you forget they had three years to fix the issue and continually failed to do so.

Kirk said he wants to win. I think he decided he was done with the redskins after the saints game. Who could blame him.

The trade is fair to midland, but the fo should have never been put into this position, frankly i’m surprised kc didn’t try to yank more out of us, we were basically desperate.

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

decided to tell Bruce, forget this Kirk Cousins guy - he sucks!

Didn't read past this, No that's not what I said. I think Gruden rates Cousins at a good QB. 

Gruden came across as being frustrated with the situation. He appears to me like it was time to quickly move forward, with Kirk, or without Kirk. If your moving on from Kirk, I reckon Smith is the ideal QB for Gruden given he is on a short leash as well. The both get 3 years to win.

Kirk wanted to piss about for two months. My point was that became unacceptable for Gruden. So, whilst he still liked Kirk, my belief is he was fed up of the drama and was part of the decision to push ahead now. 

Im all in favour of bashing the FO, but Gruden won't be too unhappy it has been resolved in this manner. Just my personal take on it.

Smith's racking up 4000 yards in the offense so that'll do Jay just nicely. Bruce will pony up for some new toys on offense to keep em both sweet.

11 hours ago, goskins10 said:

First, you are assuming it's the transition tag. If they give him the exclusive tag - which is what they would do for a tag and trade - no other team can give him another offer - hence the reasons it's called an exclusive tag. And before you say it - although not sure you will have thought this through enough to get here - the cannot give him the non-exclusive tag. It's part of the CBA. So no matter how you look at it, you are the one who is in fact: Wrong....

More importantly, the point was, that even if they work out a trade - or they give him the transition tag and another team gives him a better offer - until a deal does happen - the money is on the books. This means that during the most critical part of free agency period they will have an extra at least $28M on their CAP. 

May want to think a little and do a little more research before throwing out that "Wrong". 

So where is the 28 mil on the books for the entire 2018 season as you said (or at least how I interpreted it based on how you wrote your statement)?... Which was wrong

There isn't going to be a most important part of free agency for this crap team. Who exactly are we missing out on in your opinion. Because a tag and trade would take about 48 hours given Kurt's market

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yes, the evil Kirk was trying to spread his wickedness throughout the land. Be grateful that those pesky kids Dan and Bruce were there to save us all. 

Don't worry. You're safe now.

That's a this or that way to look at it. I think Dan and Bruce are complicit for sure, but Kirk by his words and actions is not Saint Kirk. The Grant and Danny interview was really telling to me, He was pretty clear with being happy to DATE the Skins per his Agent and not Marry them. You think any other team out there is going to date him now, no, it's marriage or nothing. He put the Skins on notice, wasn't signing a LTD and wanted Tag $$$ to stay. The team did what I have been trained and have trained supervisors to do in the event an employee tells me or them what they, the supervisor to do.

-Fire this guy or I'm out of here, well guess what, you both are. Kirk made a miscalculation, He maybe a good QB, but he put a team in a corner. Don't think for a minute that his perspective future employer won't consider that. Now someone will sign him, but that will be considered. 

17 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

-Fire this guy or I'm out of here, well guess what, you both are. Kirk made a miscalculation, He maybe a good QB, but he put a team in a corner. Don't think for a minute that his perspective future employer won't consider that. Now someone will sign him, but that will be considered. 

Naa, I think his next teams GM will be too busy laughing with him about how dumb Doofus Dan and Bumbling Bruce had to be to not have him signed up long term 2-3 years ago.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Naa, I think his next teams GM will be too busy laughing with him about how dumb Doofus Dan and Bumbling Bruce had to be to not have him signed up long term 2-3 years ago.

Well I am sure they will be, how that turns out for them is yet to be seen. Telling how none of the Redskins players were in tears on his departure. 

9 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm starting to really not like Cooley. When word was that wrs didn't like Cousins, we get nothing. Now Cousins is on his way out and were hearing this

I've said all along that Cooley is legit, until it's time to take a side, and that side will always be the Redskins.  What makes him different from some of the homers here is that atleast he's honest in his assessments up to that point.  This isn't the first time he's changed the beat of his drum to align with the organization though.  Thw team absolutely uses him as a mouthpiece when they have a message to relay.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've said all along that Cooley is legit, until it's time to take a side, and that side will always be the Redskins.  What makes him different from some of the homers here is that atleast he's honest in his assessments up to that point.  This isn't the first time he's changed the beat of his drum to align with the organization though.  Thw team absolutely uses him as a mouthpiece when they have a message to relay.

That's how you garner favor and access with the team....selling out. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This isn't the first time Cooley's said that. He's been talking about it for a while now. 

The first time he mentioned it, he said Sean says he may have shown Kirk so much that he may be seeing ghost, and will avoid going down field because he over thinks the situation. He also does it in practice which frustrates Jay...

8 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I'll use Kirk's phrase when I say "Those who know, know". Some people just can't decipher bull**** when they hear it.

I'll leave it at that.

Interesting perspective.

Hmmm one party is known for nothing but having huge egos, disgruntling folks and most importantly building losing teams.

The other has no history of anyone talking about them sideways ever, that actually went out of his way to make the latter party not look as bad as they always have.

But yeah, you're the great BS detector. 

:ols: HTTR!

2 minutes ago, Tay said:

This isn't the first time Cooley's said that. He's been talking about it for a while now. 

The first time he mentioned it, he said Sean says he may have shown Kirk so much that he may be seeing ghost, and will avoid going down field because he over thinks the situation. He also does it in practice which frustrates Jay...

It's not the first time he's criticized Kirk, you are correct.  Kirks definitely had play worthy of criticism.  However throughout that entire time he remained emphatic that Kirk is the best option at QB and should be signed to a huge deal.  The same guy spent a week making fun of AntiKirks posting polls to support that AntiKirks are the minority of the fan base.  Less than 2 months ago.  Now he's unlocked the secrets to why Kirk sucks after the fact, okay chief.

Man, there are too many extremes in this thread... I realize this is EXTREMESkins... but wow.'

My opinions:

-The FO botched Cousins two years ago, which sent us down a spiral

-Cousins wanted to be here because he likes the area, likes his teammates, thinks there's a chance to win. So I don't believe he was ever lying about that. But I do believe that he'd be fine going wherever he got the best deal. Which again, is fine, looking out for you and your family is the only thing you can do. I mean, I don't think his family would suffer with 23 mil instead of 30 mil, but who am I to judge?

-Cousins and the FO were both pretty well aware that a deal wasn't likely to get done based on what Cousins wanted monetarily and what the FO was willing to give him. I believe there may have been a slim hope that they could have come to a deal on both sides, so neither side was willing to totally move on.

-The team and Cousins were likely in some kind of talks and the team realized the chances of signing him and still signing key pieces wasn't likely, so they started to pursue their options. When the Fuller/Smith deal came on the table, it materialized quickly and the Skins pulled the trigger without informing Cousins or Fuller (although, to be fair, Cousins didn't NEED to be in the loop on that. When in negotiations as a free agent, that's a risk you assume if the team and you aren't on the same page. It's the same as if Cousins were in FA and a team gave him a ridiculous deal and he signed without informing the Skins. There's no reason to).

-Prior to the deal, the Skins probably looked at rookies and other options. Eventually, they probably realized that Smith is an older Cousins with better legs, more mileage, more experience and cheaper. Cousins offered familiarity with the system, a skill set that fits Gruden. But Smith is "safer"... Which is an odd term for me to use. Both are somewhat risk averse but Cousins is more prone to bad risks when he takes them. Smith takes safer risks when he takes them. Not sure how else to describe it.

-That also means Cousins is more likely to make a big play than Smith in a needed moment, so there's some trade off.

-Cousins and the team haven't really been on the same page at all throughout this process. 

-Making the trade for Smith cost us Kendall Fuller and some draft position. Losing Fuller hurts. Without a doubt. But, it was a good trade to have a stable presence at the quarterback position. But what people are missing is this is also an end to the Cousins drama, and the offseason can focus on building around Alex Smith and the team beginning to gel as soon as the trade officially occurs. This is more important than many give credence to.

-In the end, the FO made a very costly error with Cousins and should be held accountable for that. It was a horrendous mistake. BUT, I feel they made the best of the terrible situation they created by getting Smith so early in the offseason so they can turn their attention towards the draft and team building

13 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

That's how you garner favor and access with the team....selling out. 

Agreed.  I've always believed that he dropped the Scot drinking thing purposely, last year prior to the deadline for a LTD he started this whole "Dan will get blackballed by the league if he makes Kirk the highest paid player" BS after he spent months saying they needed to do just that.  There are other instances not related to Kirk as well, but he's definitely the mouthpiece when they need it.  I'd say 98% of the time he's legit but the other 2% is cause for a side eye.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Didn't read past this, No that's not what I said. I think Gruden rates Cousins at a good QB. 

Gruden came across as being frustrated with the situation. He appears to me like it was time to quickly move forward, with Kirk, or without Kirk. If your moving on from Kirk, I reckon Smith is the ideal QB for Gruden given he is on a short leash as well. The both get 3 years to win.

Kirk wanted to piss about for two months. My point was that became unacceptable for Gruden. So, whilst he still liked Kirk, my belief is he was fed up of the drama and was part of the decision to push ahead now. 

Im all in favour of bashing the FO, but Gruden won't be too unhappy it has been resolved in this manner. Just my personal take on it.

Smith's racking up 4000 yards in the offense so that'll do Jay just nicely. Bruce will pony up for some new toys on offense to keep em both sweet.

It's called sarcasm and yes I exaggerated - only because the entire notion that Jay is somehow happier with Alex Smith is ludicrous. This is your quote: 

"I would wager he's damn happy with Smith as his QB. No bull, I reckon he'd take Smith over Cousins."

As for Jay being "part of the decision" that could take many different meanings. For example the one I posed was basically Bruce was backed into a corner and basically told Jay he was letting Kirk walk. Despite my satire following, it was probably more like - we are moving on from Kirk, who would you like. Jay gave them an answer and they made it happen. 

What you are saying, or at least implying, is that Jay and Bruce's conversation included Jay saying he was tired of the drama let's just move on from Kirk I can win with someone else. I find that extremely hard to believe in any way shape of form - for exactly the same reasons I already stated. This was Bruce's mess, not Jay's. Any effort to pin this on Jay who has done nothing but support Kirk is a fools errand. There is just nothing to support it at all. 

25 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Well I am sure they will be, how that turns out for them is yet to be seen. Telling how none of the Redskins players were in tears on his departure. 

Well being asked constantly for 2 years how you feel about Kirk's contract situation had to be more annoying and exhausting than us arguing about it here. At least here we chose to have the discussion. The media didn't give the players that option. I wouldn't assume simply because they were more outraged at Fuller's departure(as they should be), than it must mean they didn't care or want Kirk back. It could be any number of things. 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

-Prior to the deal, the Skins probably looked at rookies and other options. Eventually, they probably realized that Smith is an older Cousins with better legs, more mileage, more experience and cheaper. Cousins offered familiarity with the system, a skill set that fits Gruden. But Smith is "safer"... Which is an odd term for me to use. Both are somewhat risk averse but Cousins is more prone to bad risks when he takes them. Smith takes safer risks when he takes them. Not sure how else to describe it.

Smith doesn't make the throw into tight windows, much less aggressive down the field.  Rarely makes plays with his arm when plays break down.

When Hunt was rolling early in the season, Smith seemed to shed all of the above knocks.  When Hunt was taken away, Smith didn't seem to have the same confidence and reverted back into his old self.

Archived